Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Sharpedge

Prophet
EK only loses caster level at lvl 1. You lose as much with arcane trickster (one caster level + 1 feat).
what i meant is not caster lvl, but entire circles of spells missing. Dont know bard progression, but to reach 10lvl ek i expect to miss both lvl 5 and 6 spells entirely
If you build EK as a wizard, you will gain access to level 9 spells at level 18. Whilst it is super late in the game, it is possible for a party playthrough. EK is fun to play, but I think it shines more in solo gameplay where you can reach level 20, have access to level 9 spells as sorc and also do things like take 1 level of monk for extra AC. Whilst it is definitely not as good as other options, being able to throw out quickened spells more or less at will makes for exceptionally fun gameplay.

Last edited:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
everything is optimal depending on your gear setup and how you use it

:prosper:

You're not working on this elf shit hard enough. I don't feel the nerdcommando autism from you ; your builds are not convincing. You'll have to work a lot more if you want to be an authority in this field. Your guide is pretty basic shit. Come on you fuck, you can do better than this

Yosharian

Arcane
everything is optimal depending on your gear setup and how you use it

:prosper:

You're not working on this elf shit hard enough. I don't feel the nerdcommando autism from you ; your builds are not convincing. You'll have to work a lot more if you want to be an authority in this field. Your guide is pretty basic shit. Come on you fuck, you can do better than this
laugh_crying_kristen_bell.gif

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
inquisitor solo tactics + outflank -> do all nearby allies get free opportunity attack or not?
does seize the moment work at all?

Apart from that: what are good options of turning jaethal into main tank? Invulnerable rager would do or s&b is the only way

I suppose that should work. But why do you want to deny your other melees the +2 Outflank Attack Bonus for attacking the same target? I'd pick it on all melees always.

And I'd not rely on Invulnerable Rager for tanking. Even moreso on a character that is difficult to heal and has measly d8 for his hitdice. That IR DR is just a little bonus that will allow him to swing a bit longer with his monstrous health pool, not absorb attacks for the whole party.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
guise what about this 2hander:
1 bard for dragon disciple
3 basic fighter.
1 sword saint for fauchard
10 levels of dragon disciple
rest fighter.

built around AoA and trips.

is this shit?

You loose 5 BAB compared to pure martial classes (and don't get further big boosts from Weapon Training/Rage/Favored Enemies). Depending on when you pick the 5 fighter levels, you may not even get Weapon Training (to benefit from the awesome fighter bracers).
Instead you get what, 4 Str (2 AB), 2 Con, 2 Int and 3 Natural Armor. Also Wings (that you can get with an Aasimar anyway) and the ability to transform and fight with natural weapons => ergo: yep, its shit.

Dragon Disciple is a 4 level class at most, if that. Not worth sacrificing another class dip to qualify though, IMO.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
If you want something more complex then a cookie-cutter Fighter/Barb/Pally build, IMO try either a magus build or a strenght based vivisectionist. You end up sacrificing less for more.

Yosharian

Arcane
guise what about this 2hander:
1 bard for dragon disciple
3 basic fighter.
1 sword saint for fauchard
10 levels of dragon disciple
rest fighter.

built around AoA and trips.

is this shit?
Or just Fighter 20

if you just want to smack fools with a 2-hander you really don't need to over-complicate things, plus Fighter gets an absurd amount of feats which is perfect for a Trip build

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Some Vivi dip for a little sneak damage and a little mutagen stat&armor boost could be nice. For example 4 levels and Accomplished Sneak Attacker feat for +3d6 sneak and 2x Preserve Organs Discoveries (at Vivi levels 2 and 4) for 50% crit & sneak immunity.
Loose 1 BAB but gain +4 Str +2 Natural Armor for 40 minutes/day.

hell bovine

Arcane
i think i need to start over. Got some questions:
I want to maintain high enchantment dc but I might consider dropping 2cha. What Im thinking about doing is some sort of more str focused build with reach weapon, cornogun smash, dazzling performance... in general be intimidating powerhouse.

I've actually turned Regongar into a melee bard and it worked surprisingly well. He did respectable damage with that sneak attack spell, could sing & buff. On the downside he was more squishy if caught without buffs, so enlarge person and a long reach weapon was mandatory.

The question is whether you'll be using enchantment offensively later on as a melee bard. Because frankly, while laughter was great early on (and hold person, but I gave Tristian a level in serpentine sorcerer, which made it work on monsters), late game conjuration had far better disabling spells. And that job is best left to wizards & sorcerers.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
So, once more I would like to write a praise about the Freebooter Ranger.
With 6 levels you get: party wide untyped bonuses of +2 flanking bonus (1 minute, unlimited use), +2 AB vs marked target. Also 2 Combat Style feats, which ignore requirements. For example Menacing Style lets you pick Shatter Defenses at level 6, without Dazzling Display and Weapon Focus (can pick Power Attack as level 2 bonus feat). Plus 2 casts of ranger spells, for example Lead Blades to increase weapon damage.

I've made my Amiri into one and she rocks (currently Barb level 2 / Freeboter level 6).

Shatter Defenses is worthy of its own discussion. It's very easy in Kingmaker to make most enemies shaken/terrified. Dazzling Display at combat start and enemies are debuffed with -2 AB and -2 all saves, which is very good on its own. Maybe add a level of Thug or 4 to also send the enemies running away for 1 round (and get lots of attacks of opportunity & ranged damage). Valerie (with a few feats) or Jaethal can be very effective at that. Or the PC, if he's a Paladin/Inquisitor/Bard/ES/EK Sorc type. Just make sure to hold position to avoid chaotic goose chases and exposing your squishies.

With Shatter Defenses on your melees this is even better. The shaken enemies are also considered flat-footed against attacks and that means most enemies become MUCH easier to hit (and you get free sneak attacks even without other flankers). You just melt enemy encounters with a strong melee core.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
No need. Just turn Valerie into Kinetic Knight at lvl 2 and keep leveling her as that. First element Earth, second Water (pick Cold damage version). After that she both tanks and does more damage than any other melee except rogues. You don't need to shatter or anything.
And since all the attacks are touch she almost never misses. And she can freely use a shield as her weapon is one handed.
At high levels you can also remove the shield and use water shield instead.
So far this is the most broken shit I've seen.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, shattered, flat-footed enemies have almost no touch AC :P

As for more damage then any melee... 8d6+4 is average 32 damage per hit. Plus maybe a little Burn bonus. But with 20/x2 crits. I think plenty of melees can do much better. Of course, in any case its still very nice for a tank.

Although Empowered that would be about 46 on average, maybe 50 with Burn... that's even better.
I haven't played a Kineticist yet, can you perma-empower?

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

As for more damage then any melee... 8d6+4 is average 32 damage per hit. Plus maybe a little Burn bonus. But with 20/x2 crits. I think plenty of melees can do much better. Of course, in any case its still very nice for a tank.

Although Empowered that would be about 46 on average, maybe 50 with Burn... that's even better.
32 per hit is more than any non sneak attack character. And it is more than that as you are getting a boost from having burn.
And that is the basic attack of KK, it works 100% of time, it has no limits per day like Rage, Smite or Bard Song or limited spells of Magus. Also it does not lower your hit chance like power attack does.

And you do this damage from round 1, no need to spend actions to debuff enemies.
And this is a shield character. No other shield character comes close.

And you cannot empower unless you want to suffer burn per attack.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Respecced kalikke Into sacred hunstman because she worships some good God and she likes range or whatever. So it fits her character!!!1!!

Healbot with a pet that gets all teamwork feats. There really should be a ranger equivalent.

Incendax

Augur

It’s less damage than an optimized Nok-Nok, but it’s a great package deal. That damage is being dealt to everyone in an AOE, and checking for Trips or Pushes with every attack, which triggers AOO from allies (not you).

Kineticist can perma empower, and that’s why most people recommend going Kineticist over Kinetic Knight. Kineticist just has a very painful Level 1-4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom