Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Yosharian

Arcane
Would necromancy be a viable specialization as a wizard?
Sort of. The best Necromancy spells are probably Enervation and Energy Drain, which don't have a save anyway.

Is Horrid Wilting in this game?

Edit: ok yeah there are a ton of decent spells. Horrid Wilting, Finger of Death, Wail of the Banshee. Could definitely work. It's gonna be weak against some enemy types, though.

See this Reddit post for the full list of spells:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/comments/9kpwtk/full_sorcerer_wizard_spell_list/

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
That's fine, so long as i've got a chance. I don't care too much about being overpowered. Also, thanks for the help.

Sykar

Arcane
Sort of. The best Necromancy spells are probably Enervation and Energy Drain, which don't have a save anyway.

Is Horrid Wilting in this game?

Edit: ok yeah there are a ton of decent spells. Horrid Wilting, Finger of Death, Wail of the Banshee. Could definitely work. It's gonna be weak against some enemy types, though.

See this Reddit post for the full list of spells:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/comments/9kpwtk/full_sorcerer_wizard_spell_list/

According to the PFKM wiki, yes.

The special abilities are weak but if you like debuffing, some CC, summons and some nice damage at higher levels then go for it.

Lhynn

Arcane
Considering magus get improved invi and mirror image he can do very well with a str build.

Yosharian

Arcane
Considering magus get improved invi and mirror image he can do very well with a str build.
Yes, he can. My point was that it restricts you to Str, not that Strength is necessarily bad for him.

I was on the fence myself on this one, slightly in favour of Str originally but my particular multiclass combination ended up working best with Monk weapons so I went with a Dex build.

That extra AC really helps in the early game.

Ent

Savant
Is flurry of blows still allowing you to flurry with any weapon?

Ent

Savant
Dear lord. Everytime I watch somebody play this game I see them grabbing every piece of armor they find and then wonder why they need to waste time and rest so often.

Funposter

Arcane
Dear lord. Everytime I watch somebody play this game I see them grabbing every piece of armor they find and then wonder why they need to waste time and rest so often.
I did the same thing during my first (aborted) playthrough. The low sell price of basic armour and weapons should enforce the idea that they aren't worth looting, but I think people are so used to the pack rat looting of games like TES or hack and slash Diablo type stuff that they don't think about it. They just see gear and click 'Take All'.

Yosharian

Arcane
Yes, he can. My point was that it restricts you to Str, not that Strength is necessarily bad for him.

I was on the fence myself on this one, slightly in favour of Str originally but my particular multiclass combination ended up working best with Monk weapons so I went with a Dex build.

That extra AC really helps in the early game.

*if* you use monk weapons, I agree the Dex build without Sneak attacks can do well. But the problem with that approach is that monk weapons late game are far and few in between.
There's two very good Sai.

Yosharian

Arcane

Incendax

Augur
It is, and can get pretty strong in the mid and late game. But it suffers in the early game.

If you are not married to the idea of Wizard, then Cleric Necromancer is probably more fun. Especially if you go Ecclesitheurge of Evil or Death Primary.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
It is, and can get pretty strong in the mid and late game. But it suffers in the early game.

If you are not married to the idea of Wizard, then Cleric Necromancer is probably more fun. Especially if you go Ecclesitheurge of Evil or Death Primary.
Unfortunately, I have bad experiences with priests and have no desire to be one.

hell bovine

Arcane
can someone share a bit on usefulness of various skills?

made my midget archeologist, picked lore arcana over world and it feels like in first 2h of a game 1st isnt used while im failing 2nd in dialogues. Is arcana even useful for bard? Im max cha enchantment caster, rogue extra talents are used to pick those archery feats.
Now I'm thinking about starting over with higher int(after lvling up and realizing difference between 12 and 14), potentially human to have both lores. Would be helpful if someone could shed some light, preferably on all the skills. I'll have in my party another bard npc, barbarian girl and oldman cleric.

extra question: how useful hiding is? Is there any point in game where I need to disarm traps while in shadows? If so can I get away with single point and spell boost?
Stealth checks are used in camping for camouflage and I think also evading the enemy ambushes on the world map. As for skills in general, unless you want to be the skill monkey in your party (in which case human is indeed best), you don't lose much by having only one knowledge on your bard. Arcana is used more later in game, mostly in dungeon crawling, so it fits an archeologist from a roleplaying point of view.

What you really want to have as high as possible is persuasion, because both the dc checks and xp rewards baloon very high later on. Not even bosses give as much xp.
The other skill you want sky high, though a companion can cover that one, is perception. With these checks if you miss something you won't even know there was a failed check.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Half the people I watched don't even know what to do with spell memorization. They don't even check spellbook or fill new spells when they level up.
And UI things like the little arrow that lets you turn spells into healing is lost on them.

Lhynn

Arcane
To avoid encounters In the world map you use knowledge nature. Actually nature is probably the single most important and checked skill in the game. Early game for sure.

Sharpedge

Prophet
The new companion (Ksomethingoranother) is very good for skill checks. She is basically 2 companions occupying 1 slot. It objectively makes her 1 of the best takes for force completing skill checks. Even more so since her class gets feat bloat due to acquiring extra feats from the class itself, effectively allowing you to stack up on skill focus feats.

Deleted Member 16721

Get Arch to level 5 and get the +2 Luck bonus to everything, then maybe multiclass. It's a very useful bonus ability.

Nirvash

Liturgist
The other skill you want sky high, though a companion can cover that one, is perception. With these checks if you miss something you won't even know there was a failed check.

Hell no.

There are percepition checks everywhere, there are more percepition checks than all other checks combined, most locations are full of secret items under high percepition checks.

And percepition checks are made BY ALL characters, a single percepition grunt rolling low will make you miss alot of stuff and can really be a problem with traps. (the debuff traps later on are a huge pain in the ass)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom