Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I always go kill Hargulka immediately
Weak. Vassalize him instead so you'll have a personal army of pillaging rapists.
Rstarted one last time with CG. I’m allying Kobolds. Orphanage OP.

Last edited:

volklore

Arcane
Planning to replay this with mods. Mostly wanted to play the Stolen lands encounter mod (is that good?) so I'll add CoTW as well. Any other good shit to put on there?

Desiderius

Patron
Proper Flanking
Rotatable Camera
Highlight Learnable Scrolls
REmove Area Effects
Favored Class
Better Vendors
Undead Immunities
Kingmaker AI
No History
Weapon Focus Plus
Collision Reducer

Arthandas

Liturgist
How much combat is in this game? I'm still in chapter 1 and it feels like Icewind Dale - wherever I go and whatever I do it's just combat, combat, combat...
There are six more chapters and it already feels tedious.

Cael

Arcane
How much combat is in this game? I'm still in chapter 1 and it feels like Icewind Dale - wherever I go and whatever I do it's just combat, combat, combat...
This is a game where the fanbois cream their pants about the combat. Hence, why they think bloated stats and lazy difficulty scaling is "da Bomb". So, yeah, it is ALL about combat.

Desiderius

Patron
The goal is to get to the point where the regular combats are routine (don't burn resources and go fast). For most people tedious means harder than expected. As you improve it will get less tedious (both your character abilities and your own). That's why it's important to keep your class developing (avoid dips and splashes) and use the new abilities you get. At minimum that gives you longer duration on your buffs so you can plow through the regular fights. Shouldn't need to rest after every fight and if you do it will have detrimental side effects on your Kingdom.

If you get your Stealth up you can skip random spawns on world map and once you have a plan for regular encounters on large maps they go fast. Figure out which of your buffs are long-lasting and use those.

Last edited:

Arthandas

Liturgist
You're missing the point. I'm complaining there's nothing but combat and your solution is to improve my character abilities (not to mention you can't improve your chars without combat)?
Almost every single map I visited in chapter 1 is filled with trash encounters like in PoE1. You kill a bunch of wolves, take 10 steps and kill a bunch of boggards, take 10 steps and kill a bunch of giant frogs, then bandits, then goblins etc.
Where are the towns? NPCs? Quests?
I was expecting a classic rpg with a 1:1 story to combat ratio, but it's literally Icewind Dale - you just move from one map to another while killing everything that moves.

Desiderius

Patron
You're missing the point. I'm complaining there's nothing but combat and your solution is to improve my character abilities (not to mention you can't improve your chars without combat)?
Almost every single map I visited in chapter 1 is filled with trash encounters like in PoE1. You kill a bunch of wolves, take 10 steps and kill a bunch of boggards, take 10 steps and kill a bunch of giant frogs, then bandits, then goblins etc.
Where are the towns? NPCs? Quests?
I was expecting a classic rpg with a 1:1 story to combat ratio, but it's literally Icewind Dale - you just move from one map to another while killing everything that moves.
You’ve played like 1% of the game and you’re already jumping to conclusions. Seriously WTF. That’s like two areas put of a hundred.

There aren’t any towns in Ch. 1 because you haven’t built any yet. Follow main quest and you’ll get to several more, but most quests have to do with Barony/Kingdom you don’t have yet.

Desiderius

Patron
You can in fact improve your characters without combat. Its not Wizardry. Most EXP is from quests and skill checks and the rarer hard fights.

Desiderius

Patron
For beginner I’d go down to Ancient Tomb, use your spells and consumables and pick up Harrim. At lvl 3 he gets long-lasting Delay Poison that you can put on your melee toons which make Spider/Centipede fights much less “tedious.”

Arthandas

Liturgist
You’ve played like 1% of the game and you’re already jumping to conclusions. Seriously WTF. That’s like two areas put of a hundred.
For beginner I’d go down to Ancient Tomb
You're the one jumping to conclusions, I'm already at the stag lord's fort, how's that a 1% of the game? I've visited dozens of locations and they were equally boring.
You can in fact improve your characters without combat. Its not Wizardry. Most EXP is from quests and skill checks and the rarer hard fights.
I think we're playing two different games then because skill checks and quests are giving so pitiful exp I don't see how you could gain even a single level without combat.

Desiderius

Patron
For beginner I’d go down to Ancient Tomb
You're the one jumping to conclusions, I'm already at the stag lord's fort, how's that a 1% of the game? I've visited dozens of locations and they were equally boring.
I think we're playing two different games then because skill checks and quests are giving so pitiful exp I don't see how you could gain even a single level without combat.
There’s a lot you don’t see. Yet.

Some people keep looking. Some are, er, know-it-alls and don’t. Dozens of locations in Ch. 1? Damn son there must be a lot I haven’t seen too. I am finding new stuff on my tenth time thru or whatever so maybe I’ll find them too.

Arthandas

Liturgist
There’s a lot you don’t see.
I agree, interesting story, good combat...
Dozens of locations in Ch. 1? Damn son there must be a lot I haven’t seen too.
From the top of my head: oleg's post, nettle crossing, fangberry cave, plains with manticore, ancient tomb, sycamore, the area with the big water elemental, boggard hunting grounds, thorn ford, waterlogged lowland, temple of elk, slavers camp with regongar/octavia, stag lord ford... and I bet I forgotten one or two. But sure, keep playing dumb.

Apart from the lowland which is a book episode, all those areas have to offer is boring trash mob combat or a single strong enemy like manticore/water elemental (those were actually fun).

Desiderius

Patron
thats the gameplay untill the end exept usually each chapter boss is in a multi lvl dungeon.
No it isn’t. Why do people just make up stupid shit like this? Every chapter has several locations full of perception checks and quests and whatnot. And then you’ve got companion quests and artisan quests and relics to find and all kinds of random encounters until they run out of steam in ch 6.

Desiderius

Patron
There’s a lot you don’t see.
I agree, interesting story, good combat...
Dozens of locations in Ch. 1? Damn son there must be a lot I haven’t seen too.
From the top of my head: oleg's post, nettle crossing, fangberry cave, plains with manticore, ancient tomb, sycamore, the area with the big water elemental, boggard hunting grounds, thorn ford, waterlogged lowland, temple of elk, slavers camp with regongar/octavia, stag lord ford... and I bet I forgotten one or two. But sure, keep playing dumb.

Apart from the lowland which is a book episode, all those areas have to offer is boring trash mob combat or a single strong enemy like manticore/water elemental (those were actually fun).
Oleg has three skill checks that have big impact on fight, berry cave you need to manage poison and skill check for berries (and get them back fast). If you can handle Swarms Cure Wand is very valuable early and Orc Double Axe is very powerful MC build.

Tomb is hardly a trash fight and pretty tough at level 2. Good rewards - +1 weapon, relic piece, new companion, and good EXP for skill checks at exit.

Sycamore has all kinds of quests, loot, bosses, skill EXP that matters. One of best areas ever created.

Thorn Ford has good skill EXP, loot, and lets you poison Stag Lord wine for advantage in final fight while picking up allies (good EXP from that dialogue) for that fight in Krestle’s gang.

Lowland also has good skill EXP and is an Emerald source for later quest or just some cash.

Temple of the Elk has three challenging fights and some decent hidden loot with good EXP from quest turn in.

Both Technic League fights are very interesting tactically and hardly trash or tedious. Again with good rewards in loot, EXP, and companions.

Stag Fort itself is of course a master class in level design with all sorts of skill checks that all contribute to main goal (thats pretty damn hard to achieve directly) and different fights and having to manage aggro and keep escaper from the alarm bell. Again good loot, hidden items, etc. Even a herb chest after you beat Lord himself.

Then you’ve got the other relic locations with the high level Druid, Leopard, and Tazlwurms. Each with a useful niche weapon, the Troll for the strength belt, Ratnook for big trap EXP and a very tough fight with good rewards, Werewolf and Elemental where you’ve got to learn how to manage DR, the Grease-immune Manticore, and Amiri’s Boar for quest EXP.

But that’s not Dozens. Not close.

What’s dumb is getting your feelings hurt by Silent’s Pack and the half-assed Boggart area they tacked on with the third DLC and trashing what is otherwise a great game instead of adjusting your approach.

Both areas have underwhelming rewards for the effort required (unless you’re going Jae with Scythe for RP reasons) but they’re hardly representative of the whole chapter, let alone the game. If you’re hardly getting a level from your skills and quests get your skills up and pay attention to your quest log.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Playing the game caused me to spend a few hours going through 1E source books.

AD&D settings may have spoiled me, but
Is it a common criticism for 1E that Golarion seems to be like a theme park / Marvel Battle World: Aka Random areas that don`t fit together as a logical functioning world?

Dinosaur Land next to French revolution land next to Horror land next to Crusades land Next to Mad Max wastelands.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Good rewards - +1 weapon, relic piece, new companion, and good EXP
all kinds of quests, loot, bosses, skill EXP
Thorn Ford has good skill EXP, loot
Lowland also has good skill EXP
decent hidden loot with good EXP
good rewards in loot, EXP
good loot, hidden items, etc
Stoned-Guy.png

Desiderius

Patron
Yes, the exact shit you’re too lazy to look for. Why do you bother even playing? Really don’t get it.

You said the EXP wasn’t there. I explained where it is. You’re the one who’s on the weed, not me.

Desiderius

Patron
Playing the game caused me to spend a few hours going through 1E source books.

AD&D settings may have spoiled me, but
Is it a common criticism for 1E that Golarion seems to be like a theme park / Marvel Battle World: Aka Random areas that don`t fit together as a logical functioning world?

Dinosaur Land next to French revolution land next to Horror land next to Crusades land Next to Mad Max wastelands.
But each game is within one of those worlds so they’re coherent that way.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Yes, the exact shit you’re too lazy to look for. Why do you bother even playing? Really don’t get it.
I'm not, like I said, I reached the stag lord and I'm bored to death. I asked if there's anything more to this game apart from boring trash combat and now that I know there isn't I'm done with it.
You said the EXP wasn’t there. I explained where it is.
No, I said the non-combat exp is pitiful and it is. You did nothing to disprove it. If you collect ALL non-combat exp in chapter 1, how many levels will you get?

This game has literally nothing going for it:
the story is dumb and characters are boring
quests come down to a) go there and kill something or b) go there and bring me something
combat is weak - enemy AI is super dumb, there's no encounter design and most maps are filled with trash mobs like in PoE1

You clearly have problems
Screenshot-2022-08-06-220136.png

so I'm just gonna leave you and your Amiri pillow alone

Desiderius

Patron
I’m level seven dumbass. Still in Ch 1.

It’s a shit ton. There’s nothing boring or trash about the combat unless you’re trying to Grease kite every fight because you’re too high to read your spells and abilities as you level or pay attention to what’s happening.

Just amazing to me that people will get so butthurt over losing one fight they’ll tell bald-faced lies in public to protect their egos as if no one can tell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom