Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
His
Recently finished VTomb on unfair, the whole chapter is made trivial by mass heal scrolls.

Where you have got mass heal scrolls? Iirc they are not sold anywhere at this point in the unmodded game.

His Octavia is (at least) lvl 14 so that could have something to do with it.
Why at least 14?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Darko

Educated
Where you have got Mass Heal scrolls? Iirc they are not sold anywhere at this point in the unmodded game.
They are from Jhod, bought soon after Varnhold vanishing started, was lvl 11 with Divine 6.
Screenshot is a bit later, at lvl 14.

Daidre

Arcane
Where you have got Mass Heal scrolls? Iirc they are not sold anywhere at this point in the unmodded game.
They are from Jhod, bought soon after Varnhold vanishing started, was lvl 11 with Divine 6.
Screenshot is a bit later, at lvl 14.
Looks like Vendor Progression Mod. Jhod never updates his scroll selection, only Arcane vendor does. First place where you can actually buy Mass Heal is the House in ch 6.

Darko

Educated
Divine 6 is pretty high at that stage.
It's only 40 points over what's needed for teleport and it also increases Sharel's crafting tier. Although in previous playthrough my divine/arcane were hurt by Pitax influence and neglected because of the curse research so this time I overcompensated a bit.

Looks like Vendor Progression Mod. Jhod never updates his scroll selection, only Arcane vendor does. First place where you can actually buy Mass Heal is the House in ch 6.
Don't have any mods that affect gameplay (Kingdom resolution only to preview dialogue and event choices). Jhod also updated his inventory last run when I had fewer mods. Not sure what affects it, but all the new scrolls are in quantities of 198, compared to 99 of what he had before.

L9dngII.jpg

hVHsDxc.jpg

Also unlike in screenshots of that mod my Verdel never updated his inventory, and Jhod is also completely different.

Daidre

Arcane
Divine 6 is pretty high at that stage.
It's only 40 points over what's needed for teleport and it also increases Sharel's crafting tier. Although in previous playthrough my divine/arcane were hurt by Pitax influence and neglected because of the curse research so this time I overcompensated a bit.

Don't have any mods that affect gameplay (Kingdom resolution only to preview dialogue and event choices). Jhod also updated his inventory last run when I had fewer mods. Not sure what affects it, but all the new scrolls are in quantities of 198, compared to 99 of what he had before.

L9dngII.jpg

hVHsDxc.jpg

Also unlike in screenshots of that mod my Verdel never updated his inventory, and Jhod is also completely different.
I've found a save that loads and yes, looks like Owlcat patched scrolls in with EE or endgame "rebalance". Beyond stupid, imho.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Turn-based combat on console confirmed:

Plan out strategic battles in real time or a new turn-based mode as Pathfinder: Kingmaker Definitive Edition arrives on Xbox One and PS4.

Players of Pathfinder: Kingmaker the PC game know how great the isometric rpg gameplay is and can attest to the dynamic gameplay that Pathfinder offers as the game uniquely shapes your kingdom based on the choices of your character.

Be sure to check out IGN for more Pathfinder Kingmaker gameplay.

amurath

Educated
It looks like they've improved the UI for the turn-based mode, at least. I also hope they incorporate the high-resolution textures into the definitive edition.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Have they said if/when this stuff will make it to the PC version?

The same day as console release (August 18)

https://www.ign.com/articles/pathfi...ox-one-preview-meet-the-new-turn-based-option

Pathfinder: Kingmaker PS4 and Xbox One Preview: Meet the New Turn-Based Option
PC will be getting the option patched-in too.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker released to mixed but generally good reviews in Fall 2018, including on IGN. But the deep CRPG didn’t stop at launch, with updates addressing a number of the criticisms pointed out in the IGN review making it today, a much better version than what shipped. Now, that new-and-improved Pathfinder: Kingmaker is heading to PS4 and Xbox One along with one other major update: a turn-based combat mode.

If you already play and love Pathfinder without the turn-based option, don’t worry, it’s just that – an option. But if you do want to give it a try, it’s being patched into the PC release of the game as well; this won’t be a uniquely console experience. I got to watch a demo with Owlcat Games creative director Alexander Mishulin, who noted that the turn-based option started as a mod made by the Pathfinder community.

In its official implementation, you can simply click in the right thumbstick to turn it on or off at any time – and yes, you can play with a gamepad on PC too, if you like. For instance, Mishulin brought his party to an encounter with a pack of three Greater Worgs. (If you’re unfamiliar with Pathfinder: Kingmaker when diving in, it will remind you a lot of Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic, but with an old-school Baldur’s Gate-style isometric camera perspective.) You cannot queue attacks with turn-based combat, but it seems to flow pretty quickly if you want it to; you attack with the next party member up, then it cycles immediately to the next character’s turn. If the battle ends up obviously decided at any point, you can simply click in on the right thumbstick again to switch back to real-time combat so that the fight will end sooner and you can move on. You can also pause anytime in real-time combat, give orders, then unpause and your orders will be executed by your party.

I appreciate that there are tutorials for turn-based combat the first time you activate it, in order to help you get a feel for how the change to the system works. A handy combat log on the right side of the screen shows all your bonuses applied to each attack, whether you hit or missed, how much damage you dealt, etc. After moving through a couple more battle scenarios, it seemed like the gamepad interface has been really well-implemented, though admittedly I was not able to play for myself. When watching it being played, it looks like it was built that way from day one.

While I wasn’t shown Pathfinder: Kingmaker on a stock PS4, Mishulin says it still runs reasonably well on the original 2013-era consoles, but you might see a bit of slowdown here or there that you shouldn’t get on the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X. Owlcat is still optimizing. It looks gorgeous no matter what, though; its art direction is very reminiscent of BioWare’s aforementioned original Baldur’s Gate games. Pathfinder: Kingmaker hits PS4 and Xbox One on August 18, including the new turn-based combat option and every previous update the game has had. The PC version, meanwhile, gets the turn-based mode that same day. If you’re looking for a meaty CRPG to chew up a lot of free time, this updated release of Pathfinder looks like it’ll tide you over until Cyberpunk 2077’s release a month later quite nicely.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Amazing, I needed a reason to replay this again. I never actually finished it, my furthest save broke somewhere in the last act and I was too annoyed to restore it again. God this game was buggy at release.

Also maybe turn based makes high difficulty more stomachable, I ran this at max difficulty once. It becomes a cheesefest when random mooks have 20 AC and never miss.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I feel dirty for posting IGN, but: https://www.ign.com/articles/pathfi...ox-one-preview-meet-the-new-turn-based-option

Pathfinder: Kingmaker PS4 and Xbox One Preview: Meet the New Turn-Based Option
PC will be getting the option patched-in too.
4917321-1585328667.jpg

By Ryan McCaffrey
Updated: 10 Jun 2020 6:16 pm
Posted: 10 Jun 2020 5:45 pm

Pathfinder: Kingmaker released to mixed but generally good reviews in Fall 2018, including on IGN. But the deep CRPG didn’t stop at launch, with updates addressing a number of the criticisms pointed out in the IGN review making it today, a much better version than what shipped. Now, that new-and-improved Pathfinder: Kingmaker is heading to PS4 and Xbox One along with one other major update: a turn-based combat mode.

If you already play and love Pathfinder without the turn-based option, don’t worry, it’s just that – an option. But if you do want to give it a try, it’s being patched into the PC release of the game as well; this won’t be a uniquely console experience. I got to watch a demo with Owlcat Games creative director Alexander Mishulin, who noted that the turn-based option started as a mod made by the Pathfinder community.
Pathfinder: Kingmaker Console Version Screenshots
In its official implementation, you can simply click in the right thumbstick to turn it on or off at any time – and yes, you can play with a gamepad on PC too, if you like. For instance, Mishulin brought his party to an encounter with a pack of three Greater Worgs. (If you’re unfamiliar with Pathfinder: Kingmaker when diving in, it will remind you a lot of Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic, but with an old-school Baldur’s Gate-style isometric camera perspective.) You cannot queue attacks with turn-based combat, but it seems to flow pretty quickly if you want it to; you attack with the next party member up, then it cycles immediately to the next character’s turn. If the battle ends up obviously decided at any point, you can simply click in on the right thumbstick again to switch back to real-time combat so that the fight will end sooner and you can move on. You can also pause anytime in real-time combat, give orders, then unpause and your orders will be executed by your party.
You can simply click in the right thumbstick to turn it on or off at any time.
“I appreciate that there are tutorials for turn-based combat the first time you activate it, in order to help you get a feel for how the change to the system works. A handy combat log on the right side of the screen shows all your bonuses applied to each attack, whether you hit or missed, how much damage you dealt, etc. After moving through a couple more battle scenarios, it seemed like the gamepad interface has been really well-implemented, though admittedly I was not able to play for myself. When watching it being played, it looks like it was built that way from day one.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker Definitive Edition - Console Announcement Exclusive Trailer

While I wasn’t shown Pathfinder: Kingmaker on a stock PS4, Mishulin says it still runs reasonably well on the original 2013-era consoles, but you might see a bit of slowdown here or there that you shouldn’t get on the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X. Owlcat is still optimizing. It looks gorgeous no matter what, though; its art direction is very reminiscent of BioWare’s aforementioned original Baldur’s Gate games. Pathfinder: Kingmaker hits PS4 and Xbox One on August 18, including the new turn-based combat option and every previous update the game has had. The PC version, meanwhile, gets the turn-based mode that same day. If you’re looking for a meaty CRPG to chew up a lot of free time, this updated release of Pathfinder looks like it’ll tide you over until Cyberpunk 2077’s release a month later quite nicely.

amurath

Educated
Here's an early look at the console turn-based mode:

I do not envy console players who will try to slog through this 100+ hour game in either RT or TB mode with a controller.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Half the difficulty in fighting games comes from the execution. You need a big chunk of practice time to get those going. That's actually fine and one of reasons I like fighting games, you know what you are getting into. Difficulty fron execution in RPGs sounds iffy though, I would immediately think something is wrong with the UI or controls.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/posts/2862274

Pathfinder: Kingmaker comes to consoles! Turn based option for both consoles and PC.

We have announced a long time ago that Pathfinder: Kingmaker will come to consoles. And now it is time to reveal the date!

On August 18th 2020 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Definitive Edition will launch on PLaySation®4 and the Xbox One family of devices including the Xbox One X as well as PC. The classic RPG will take adventurers to the Stolen lands featuring all previously released content packs as well as a brand new turn-based mode, bringing the game even closer to its tabletop roots. And, yes, turn-base is coming to PC as well!

The game will be available at selected retail stores as well as through the digital stores of the respective platform.

The turn-based option started as a mod and we want to say thank you to the creator of it - Hsinyu. They showed us the way to implement the turn-based system into Pathfinder: Kingmaker and bring it even closer to the tabletop experience.

If you haven't received your digital reward: please, contact us via team@owlcatgames.com

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom