Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Kingmaker is better than Baldur's Gate

Dodo1610

Arcane
BG is better since it's the more consistent experience, I think PF does most things better than BG (UX, quests, roleplaying, character options...) but Kingmakers weak second half and the boring Kingdom management hold it back. + BG actually has a better presentation, Kingmaker doesn't even have an intro cinematic:argh:

Last edited:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Yeah, I have a feeling if they really embraced the sandbox nature of it and spent the time on those horrible companions on making the world more reactive to the player instead it would have been something really special.

The kingdom management seems irredeemable to me though. Oh great, I have 11 loyalty. Wow. Something like number of loyal swords, tax collectors and forts or really anything else would have been more fun.

Last edited:

Asymptotics

Barrelmancer
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Something like number of loyal swords, tax collectors and forts or really anything else would have been more fun.

Retiring to be a potato farmer after killing the Stag Lord would've been more fun than that worthless "management" system.

Ulysa

Scholar
When you guys say that PK had better quests...what are you talking about? Can't remember anything near cool as , say the Cult of the Unseeing Eye quest, Firkraag or Umar. :|

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Gave this game another go over the weekend. It's got pretty combat and that. is. it.

BG has the music, the sense of adventure, characters you don't want to choke to death, a story where you actually care what's happening, a realm that doesn't just exist to make busy work for you.

In BG you feel like a hero, in Pathfinder you feel like a janitor, one that everybody hates despite them bending over backwards to keep things running.

Anyway, no, I didn't really care for it this time either. Thanks for asking.

That’s the set-up. You’ve got to stick around for the joke. Granted it wears out it’s welcome before the end of the game but there’s an incomparable ride in the middle.

Desiderius

Patron
In BG I never remember sighing and going to the motions as I fought yet another Yellow Ferocious Wyvern, or a regular model of an Owlbear they increased the size of so it filled the screen.

Compared to Diablo, Pathfinder might be an improvement but it fails at world building too hard to be considered a contender to BG1.

If you just want to wander the world killing shit and collecting +2 belts and rings of protection then it's a pretty good time.

Yeah I hate the tone of Linzi's journal (including the text adventure stuff, very badly written too)- but I complained about that stuff last play through.

Turn based combat is well implemented and it is great to have the option but its very clear the encounters weren't designed with it in mind. I started off TB for the first couple of hours but had to ditch it again after those infinite centipede encounters, would love to see this system used in a game designed around it.

You’re barely out of the tutorial man. Just beeline to ch 2 if it’s that annoying for you. You’ve gotten sidetracked on trivial shit and missed 95% of the game*.

That’s on you not the game.

* - for starters it’s not an exploration game at all. Most of the best ever itemization comes from your artisans.

Desiderius

Patron
You don’t go back to your kingdom all the time if you rarely leave. It’s not an open world game. You’re supposed to be ruling your kingdom. Every expedition you lead away from your capital will tangibly cost you in terms of effective rule, which is as it should be.

Played properly the ruling part goes fast as well. You rank up five or six times, collect three or four quests in the same area, knock them out in one trip, then return. You’re not all the time worrying that you’re missing some trigger or whatever because you’re there and because you’re getting everything ranked up fast you get your Teleporters and Aviaries up by ch 4 where you really need them.

Likewise the artisan system motivates a great deal of what you’re doing while giving you the tools to achieve it.

When you say “traveling around chasing +2 belts” you’re saying nothing more than “I suck at this game because I was playing some game in my head instead of P:K.”

Desiderius

Patron
Of course I’m serious fucktard. You’re like someone saying BG sux because grinding Ankheg shells is tedious.

Git gud, dipshit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom