Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm inching towards the conclusion, and the end areas in Kingmaker are an order of magnitude more difficult than the endgames in any other RTwP RPG (or most RPGs for that matter). Fighting the numerous Wild Hunt mobs is already brutal enough, but the encounters that follow make me miss the days when my party was just a bunch of level 2s getting curb stomped by 3 Greater Enraged Owlbears with a Base Attack Bonus of 18.

Here's a mostly spoiler-free example:

The game hits the entire party with the following unavoidable debuff that cannot be removed through normal means:

debuffinf23.jpg

Given the incredibly weak saving throws of your party, it then make you fight numerous enemies who spam "Save or Die" spells.

The only way I've made any progress is by burning through whatever wands, scrolls and summons I've hoarded so far, but oddly enough, I'm loving the absurd difficulty of it all.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/1734342161857081187/

Ok, we are working on it, hopefully, most of the problems will be fixed in next hotfix (15th).

Gord

Arcane
Ok, so I broke down, because I found a good offer for a Steam key.
I just hope that since I will most likely play rather slowly due to not having much free time atm, the later chapters will be fixed before I reach them...

Ibbz

Augur
I'm inching towards the conclusion, and the end areas in Kingmaker are an order of magnitude more difficult than the endgames in any other RTwP RPG (or most RPGs for that matter). Fighting the numerous Wild Hunt mobs is already brutal enough, but the encounters that follow make me miss the days when my party was just a bunch of level 2s getting curb stomped by 3 Greater Enraged Owlbears with a Base Attack Bonus of 18.

Here's a mostly spoiler-free example:

The game hits the entire party with the following unavoidable debuff that cannot be removed through normal means:

debuffinf23.jpg

Given the incredibly weak saving throws of your party, it then make you fight numerous enemies who spam "Save or Die" spells.

The only way I've made any progress is by burning through whatever wands, scrolls and summons I've hoarded so far, but oddly enough, I'm loving the absurd difficulty of it all.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/1734342161857081187/

Ok, we are working on it, hopefully, most of the problems will be fixed in next hotfix (15th).

The debuff isn't that big a deal - go to the north portal and clear the areas in order that you did it in the chapters. The enemies are basically the equivalent of what you fought in those chapters, so the debuff evens up the large level / item difference you now have in Chapter 7. (IE: You're around level 16 fighting the stag lord again) Each chapter area you clear reduces the debuff by 10% (Note rescuing certain advisors such as Barthlomew doesn't actually reduce the debuff, only clearing story areas). Once they're all cleared, the debuff is removed.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Allright so thanks to
savescumming every event, setting kingdom management on "easy" and invicible kingdom mode on, 200k+ gold in BP, plus like 3 or 4 months of ingame time
I managed to bring bring back my kingdom from "crumbling" to "troubled".

Feelsgoodman.

Also the Chaotic Evil morale options at the coronation are hilarious.

RIP Tristian, he was executed for trying to keep me away from the precious Oculus (that does nothing and is in the Capital stash now).

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
savescumming every event, setting kingdom management on "easy" and invicible kingdom mode on, 200k+ gold in BP, plus like 3 or 4 months of ingame time

You exploited some game mechanics because the hidden timers are completely broken and you "feelsgoodman". Really!?

At least now I understand why you prosperized my post.

The funny thing is that in the end your approach is probably correct: the developers had so much trust in the kingdom management mechanics that they added the option to disable them.

That was the telltale sign for broken mechanics but some people never learn. My bad.

gestalt11

Arbiter
Has anyone played around with the Mystic Theurge class? I feel like it offers comparatively little.

It offers consierable versatility and additional number of spells per day at the expense of being somewhat behind in spell levels. Also you can pull off a thassalonian mage with much less impact since cleric can do stuff like handle most abjurations for you.

Also a feyspeaker/sylvan sorceror/Mystic theurge 3/7/10 can pull off a level 12 (out of a max of 16) animal companion with boon companion while having 7 level druid spells and 8 level sorceror spells and uses charisma for both casting types. Additionally you can swap spells between each class by adding one level up to level 5 spells, so key spells like barkskin, displacement and haste can have a large number of castings if you want, especially if you use metatmagic. IN other words you can cast displacement as a level 4 druid spell. Even more nice all your druid spells are avaialbe as sorceror+1 level without any need for memorization. I believe it is only supposed to show druids you memorized as sponataneous +1 level sorc spells, but it allows the whole druid spell list from 1to5 as spontaneous sorc spells 2to6. One nice thing about this is most druid heals are available for casting without memorizing them and can works as a ghetto heal conversion if you want. It also lets you do things like cast flame strike at level 5 (i.e. normal cleric level anyway) but at your level 17 caster level.

A level 12 animal companion is still quite good and even a smilodon can be buffed to close to 60 AC. Also as a Sorc you can polymorph greater your pet into a dragon and give any pet type 5 attacks (bite, 2claw,2wing). Since the trip on bite is a feat it probably still works as a dragon. Note: Leopards are the only pet who does not get power attack so you still lose damage as a Leopard dragon and being a dog or monitor lizard dragon may be better. Personally I stick with smilodon as waiting for greater poly takes too long.

This build has the added benefit of being able to be the main persuader as well and also has enough room for intelligence to get 4.5 skills per level

In the end you lose out on 3 dice of damage/spell penetration for what is obviously a considerable amount of versatility.

I am currently using this and a tanking/rogoue build to Duo the game with full skill coverage. 1 full tank, 1 damaging offtank+flanking, 1 covers 80% of all spellcasting theurge + UMD on both to cover any holes. Tank has bad cha but puts points into UMD, caster will probably get something like 13 free UMD from class and stats and only need like 7 points to get 20 and highest scrolls are like DC 29. The later obtainment of spells is less of an issue since a Duo is basically +3 levels versus a 6-man when you turn off sharing.

Edit:
note that wizard is probably better in a 6man as theurge.
something like thassilonian(evocation Wrath)/ecclesitheurge/Mystic Theurge 3/7/10 with Abadar as god and Travel as primary and protection as secondary. You can adjust the domains to taste depending on what you want

This build is currently broken but if it worked correctly the domains allows you to have almost every single Abjuration and Conjuration spell you lose and you would get level 9 cleric spells as well. The Wrath thassalonian gives you an absurd number of free nukes. Travel Primary, if ecclisitheurge was not broke, would give multiple memorization of DDoor and Protection from spells and the only key things you miss are stinking cloud and cloudkill, which are strong but you basically get everything else and cast can 10 free high end nukes instead.

You would begin casting fireball at level 8 and since you are thass Mage you could have 4+ fireballs memorized by level 8, which all in all is still quite good, sepcially since you would have a full complement of level 3 cleric spells as well.

Additionally you can run 20 feet faster due to travel domain and longstrider and if protection wasn't borken have bonus to saves.

This requires spilt int/wis stats which is doable but tight.

Last edited:

fred000

Barely Literate
Considering all the above and the fact that I'm sick of save-scumming for successes on opportunities, I've decided to give up.

I honestly don't enjoy the game anymore because the pacing is completely retarded: you can have up to 3 timed quests at the same time and then you can have 300 days without anything happening. I mean the first 4 chapters of the game are great and I love the combat mechanics, exploration and the story but the hidden timers are killing it for me. Perpetual reloading where each loading screen takes 15 seconds it's no fun.

Also I will admit one thing: I'm not a hardcore player as this games requires one to be. You have to pay attention to how you are building your characters, how to progress with quests, how to manage the party in fights, how to build your town for max revenues, how to train your advisors for max stats, when to annex new territories and other micro-management activities (like best equipment and so on). At some point everything becomes a chore.

That being said, I will revisit this game sometime in the future. I'm burned out atm.
What timed quests have given you problems? And what exactly did you do to fuck up your kingdom so much?

Its true that kingdom management gets way too time consuming as the game goes on, but its really not as punishing or difficult as you make it sound. The only really important thing you need to do is not ignore the one day events related to the ancient curse. And i guess don't ignore the order of the rack event for too long. Apart from that i can't imagine how you can fuck your kingdom up so much so as to really get in trouble. The big final chapter event has you loose 1 point from each stat per day and has no events that need to be completed. Even the shittest of kingdoms should be fine.

Of course the final chapter is very buggy so your probably right to take a break now, but i'm really curious what happened to your kingdom and whether the game will legit fuck you over or if you're just being dramatic.

RegionalHobo

Scholar
Turns out using the ranged disarm trap thing summons a '' invisible '' character, which is really a floating pair of green hands, that can even tank!
The last hot-fix contains this gem:

No entry points on Pitax city map. Resolution: fixed.

No comment except that the Pitax chapter is still unfinished.

Needless to say I've just started the Pitax chapter and the first companion quest is bugged:

Annamede Belavarah is not on the map.

Considering all the above and the fact that I'm sick of save-scumming for successes on opportunities, I've decided to give up.

I honestly don't enjoy the game anymore because the pacing is completely retarded: you can have up to 3 timed quests at the same time and then you can have 300 days without anything happening. I mean the first 4 chapters of the game are great and I love the combat mechanics, exploration and the story but the hidden timers are killing it for me. Perpetual reloading where each loading screen takes 15 seconds it's no fun.

Also I will admit one thing: I'm not a hardcore player as this games requires one to be. You have to pay attention to how you are building your characters, how to progress with quests, how to manage the party in fights, how to build your town for max revenues, how to train your advisors for max stats, when to annex new territories and other micro-management activities (like best equipment and so on). At some point everything becomes a chore.

That being said, I will revisit this game sometime in the future. I'm burned out atm.

she s on the map, but you need to do the linzi quest before doing any of the tournament events

if you mean the three pitax quests after the tournament, they are all at 6 hours ingame time from each other in the map. but i get what you mean, time is a oppressive concept in a game with exploring

Last edited:
Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just realized bombs have a hilarious bug that makes alchemist the most powerful class bar none in the game. Bombs don't just refresh on rest, they also refresh after ANY dialogue or map transition. You can just cheese through Vordekai Three Finger Brown's Tomb like it's nothing tossing a million force bombs at every cyclops every encounter because of all the dialogues.

Edit, actually no wait, it's just refreshing after every combat. That's even more ridiculous.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
I just realized bombs have a hilarious bug that makes alchemist the most powerful class bar none in the game. Bombs don't just refresh on rest, they also refresh after ANY dialogue or map transition. You can just cheese through Vordekai Three Finger Brown's Tomb like it's nothing tossing a million force bombs at every cyclops every encounter because of all the dialogues.

Edit, actually no wait, it's just refreshing after every combat. That's even more ridiculous.
Who's to say that's not intended by rather developers? /S

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Bombs have been bugged a lot of different ways over the last couple patches. First the bomb-enhancing bracers and ring didn't work, then they made your bombs never regenerate, now this shit :negative:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

You exploited some game mechanics because the hidden timers are completely broken and you "feelsgoodman". Really!?

The funny thing is that in the end your approach is probably correct: the developers had so much trust in the kingdom management mechanics that they added the option to disable them.

That was the telltale sign for broken mechanics but some people never learn. My bad.

Nah I prosperized it for saying how the game is too hardcore for you.
The management part is just bad, not hardcore.
I am the greatest hater of the kingdom management system is this thread.

Parabalus

Arcane
Honestly the entire kingdom management part is bullshit. I've tried to keep up with it but it seems that I've fucked up at some point.

Now, there are -250BP punishments when an advisor fails to do a quest and the game is expecting me to have thousands of BP in the inventory.

But the thing is that the kingdom BP income is bugged for the entire first chapters.

Please check BP income from regions. It's 0. In my case, it started moving after I've annexed the 8th region.

Everything is simply a mess.

Psure you don't get region income until you get corronated.

Nah I prosperized it for saying how the game is too hardcore for you.
The management part is just bad, not hardcore.
I am the greatest hater of the kingdom management system is this thread.

I set it to easy as well, since I know I couldn't help but savescum events, they seem to oimportant and the game is allegedly the hardest RPG this century.

Can't imagine what checks on hard look like, 60+ DCs?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Maybe I missed it in the tutorial, how do I spontaneously convert spells to healing/inflict with my clerics?

Parabalus

Arcane
Maybe I missed it in the tutorial, how do I spontaneously convert spells to healing/inflict with my clerics?

Click the up arrow on the spell icon on the action bar/spell book. Same for stuff like dimension door single vs mass, or dispel variants.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ah, all right, thanks. Chapter two now. Extended Haste, Extended Slow, and I'm not sure if this works in Pathfinder but I'm going to try Empowered animal spells.

Most recent experience: walk into three greater enraged owlbears that all never miss and do forty damage each a hit, with several attacks.

I think they might have blind fight...

Playing on challenging with monsters set to normal.

GOTY

Parabalus

Arcane
Ah, all right, thanks. Chapter two now. Extended Haste, Extended Slow, and I'm not sure if this works in Pathfinder but I'm going to try Empowered animal spells.

Most recent experience: walk into three greater enraged owlbears that all never miss and do forty damage each a hit, with several attacks.

I think they might have blind fight...

Playing on challenging with monsters set to normal.

GOTY

Spam 20 summons and you can win it :dealwithit:

Polanski

Scholar
Installing mods to speed up kingdom management, has really increased the game's quality for me.

Using:
Fast Travel to move faster,
Cleaner to decrease load times,
Exit To Map to get out of areas faster,
Zoom Unlocked, to get a bigger view.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Installing mods to speed up kingdom management, has really increased the game's quality for me.

Using:
Fast Travel to move faster,
Cleaner to decrease load times,
Exit To Map to get out of areas faster,
Zoom Unlocked, to get a bigger view.

I read something about that Cleaner-mod might fuck up your saves, but dunno if it's been fixed since.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom