Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
I bet the average Steam reviewer bombing this game is that type of dumbfuck who heavily insists on having his twitchy reflex skills be what carries him to the finish, blissfully unaware that the difficulty present in an RPG like Kingmaker is a valid type of difficulty despite all those effeminate cries of artificial challenge.

Researching and working around the system is how you should be forced to overcome it, things like Hard/Unfair should be a constant jawbreaker and only the most min/maxing geeks out there can make it happen. Shit, a lot of the enjoyment in RPG difficulty is precisely that RNG that everything could go to Hell in a moment. It's what keeps things exciting and fresh and ties in to the exploration and danger of delving.

I really hope they don't cave in to these pansies that want to change what Hard/Unfair should represent because they're too full of unearned arrogance to drop a difficulty level or two lower.

Anyways, I'm going to give this game a positive score because I'm genuinely having a fun time eight hours in. This is the sort of CRPG I want to see much more of.
Did you consider it's getting poor reviews because it's really buggy? It doesn't even save your settings. Leveling up is bugged as hell. Rebinding the character select keys doesn't work. I seem to be stuck and unable to even progress the game because of a gamebreaking bug. There's over 400 active bug reports on their steam forum already.

Additionally, the AI is awful. Even BG's AI scripts were superior.

bataille

Arcane
I bet the average Steam reviewer bombing this game is that type of dumbfuck who heavily insists on having his twitchy reflex skills be what carries him to the finish, blissfully unaware that the difficulty present in an RPG like Kingmaker is a valid type of difficulty despite all those effeminate cries of artificial challenge.

Researching and working around the system is how you should be forced to overcome it, things like Hard/Unfair should be a constant jawbreaker and only the most min/maxing geeks out there can make it happen. Shit, a lot of the enjoyment in RPG difficulty is precisely that RNG that everything could go to Hell in a moment. It's what keeps things exciting and fresh and ties in to the exploration and danger of delving.

I really hope they don't cave in to these pansies that want to change what Hard/Unfair should represent because they're too full of unearned arrogance to drop a difficulty level or two lower.

Anyways, I'm going to give this game a positive score because I'm genuinely having a fun time eight hours in. This is the sort of CRPG I want to see much more of.
Did you consider it's getting poor reviews because it's really buggy? It doesn't even save your settings. Leveling up is bugged as hell. Rebinding the character select keys doesn't work. I seem to be stuck and unable to even progress the game because of a gamebreaking bug. There's over 400 active bug reports on their steam forum already.

What's wrong with levelling?

The thing that bothers me the most is that character selection hotkeys don't work. Having to mouse select is primitive and makes me not want to play.

What's wrong with levelling?
I've had skills bug out, such as weapon specialization not showing the actual specialization. Only a restart fixed it. Without any exaggeration, I've had many more issues with Kingmaker than BT4.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Did you consider it's getting poor reviews because it's really buggy?

Hah, "buggy."

I lived through the era of Troika. You think you know bugs? I was smothered by the bugs, held down by the bugs, why the bugs even damn near tried to eat me alive. Then I embraced the bugs, I honed the bugs, I ate the bugs.

The era of bugs in PC Gaming was once a truly terrifying place, one that I feel is best comparable to the Killing Fields brought on by the infamous Khmer Rouge from Cambodia. We live in a world where patches are machine gunned out like you're working on an MMORPG. Try living in fear that an RPG with such amazing promise may never get that patch, that support it needed to propel it to being one of the all time greats.

Until you experience that, you relinquish your right to bitch about bugs on day two of release. Not you, personally, you look like a sweet guy and I'm sure we'd be great friends. I mean, if the lighting was right and the alcohol was strong enough we could even...

I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll be back in five hours, time to reload a save.

jf8350143

Liturgist
on challenging if you go to either the bandit camp or ancient ruins second you fight 5-6 guys who are at least 28 AC and roll natural 20s
Make them lose DEX bonuses. Blind, paralyze, flat-footed, etc.

stafftohead.jpg

That's the problem here, you go there with a level 2 team, possibly having only one caster, Linzi. And enemy's saving throw is also buffed, so the chance your spell works on them is quite thin already.

Jinn

Arcane
Hah, "buggy."

I lived through the era of Troika. You think you know bugs? I was smothered by the bugs, held down by the bugs, why the bugs even damn near tried to eat me alive. Then I embraced the bugs, I honed the bugs, I ate the bugs.

The era of bugs in PC Gaming was once a truly terrifying place, one that I feel is best comparable to the Killing Fields brought on by the infamous Khmer Rouge from Cambodia. We live in a world where patches are machine gunned out like you're working on an MMORPG. Try living in fear that an RPG with such amazing promise may never get that patch, that support it needed to propel it to being one of the all time greats.

Until you experience that, you relinquish your right to bitch about bugs on day two of release. Not you, personally, you look like a sweet guy and I'm sure we'd be great friends. I mean, if the lighting was right and the alcohol was strong enough we could even...

I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll be back in five hours, time to reload a save.

I like you.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ha, you can even multiclass your companions.
And what the fuck men, kobolds breathe fire?

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I feel like perhaps the random encounters actually ARE bugged, because I was traveling to the tavern and got a random encounter with an Elder Elemental that instantly killed half the party

Sykar

Arcane
On Normal last enemies in prologue are basically 15 AC banditos, I checked.

on challenging if you go to either the bandit camp or ancient ruins second you fight 5-6 guys who are at least 28 AC and roll natural 20s

really don't understand why this shit is so ridiculous, but that's not even the worst of it

6l98Ce9.png

Dexterity bonus of +12 means an effective dexterity score of 34. And that is a "bandit" leader in early levels?

:prosper:

deuxhero

Arcane
What kind of idiot buys a new game these days anyways? Everything needs a shit ton of patches these days.

Might as well ask people dumb enough to waste money and bandwith on it this: In Whiterose Abbey (fairly late in the original AP. Book 5 of 6) is it possible to
complete The Gardener's research into enslaving Evindra (the Nerrid)?
MCA mentioned he was working on expanding evil options and this was the one that seemed really obvious to me. On the other it's a pretty big change to the dialog of someone who is a major NPC in the last book and a half (and maybe even into the stretch goal).

Also: Can you build a royal harem or are the companion romances the only way the king isn't a total virgin?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So, found this guy on steam, he playing on Unfair, claiming that this is the difference between Unfair and Hard (if I understood him right):

That 2nd fight of the game where the assassin has 20 AC and +9 attack, drops down to 7 AC and -3 attack bonus when you drop the difficulty 1 notch.

This is just stupid balance design. It goes from absurdly easy to absurdly difficult with nothing in between. And yes, I have used the custom sliders. Changing the enemy damage scaling allows fine tuning.

But the attack bonus and AC jumps are absurdly large in both directions. The above numbers are The above numbers I quoted are the result of changing Enemy Stat Adjustment down 1 from Much tougher to Moderately tougher, and changing Enemy Difficulty from Insane to Strengthend.

There are no settings in between! It drops from 20 AC to 7 AC and from +9 attack to -3 attack bonus.

Can someont check this out, because if true it seems little off.

CarlosDanger

Novice
The deer in this game don't fuck around. Attacked in my camp by like 4 or 5 Thylacine, I had no problem with them. Then three deer attacked out of nowhere and nearly wiped my party. Fuck you Bambi, next camp I'm roasting and eating your(delicious) ass....unless my guy burns the food again. :negative:

jf8350143

Liturgist
Just remember, the game shows a picture of my character becoming Baron after you finish the first chapter, but the picture shows my character as a male human wearing heavy armour, while in the game I'm a female human monk.

I was expecting you to do better than this Owlcat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom