Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ArchAngel

Arcane
A writer who doesn't understand what is good about BG1's companions in terms of writing should be a) hanged and b) not write any more.

What writing, BG1's companions barely featured any writing at all and... oh... it's Lacrymas. Makes sense. Ok, carry on :D
It didn't need writing when it had Minsc screaming louder than anyone during every combat :D

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, I'm not sure what you see in them either Lacrymas. I appreciated that most of them were fairly anonymous and non emo, but that's pretty much it.

It's a shining example of adding character to the companions with minimal tools. An ability that is severely lacking recently. It also shows restraint and understanding of what is important in the game you are making. BG1 benefited tremendously from this.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Like I said in the thread of lies, deceit and decline, you won't understand such grognard rants.

PrettyDeadman

Why is it that only filthy stinking newbies make vids about new/old RPGs, and only experts blog about them?
videos is by definition a format for nuGamers, the ones with attention span too low to read or experience the medium on their own. Even quest compass and awesome button is too hard for them to operate on their own.
instead of playing/watching/reading they consume half-digested sludge fed to them by so called "content-creators" in form of lore-series, hype-mongering, uneducated opininos and etc.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
videos is by definition a format for nuGamers, the ones with attention span too low to read or experience the medium on their own. Even quest compass and awesome button is too hard for them to operate on their own.
instead of playing/watching/reading they consume half-digested sludge fed to them by so called "content-creators" in form of lore-series, hype-mongering, uneducated opininos and etc.

Exactly. Wafflers are the worst.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Anyone that believes Dragon Age has "deep and nuanced characters" isn't to be trusted.
The secret to writing deep and nuanced Dragon Age characters:
1. take a regular D&D style character
2. add one secret backstory (plus point if it is a dark past)
3. unlock that backstory to the player through the game
4. GOTY all years!

you skipped a step.

1. take a regular D&D style character
1a. make him/her gay
2. add one secret backstory (plus point if it is a dark past)
3. unlock that backstory to the player through the game
4. GOTY all years!
DA:O had only two bisexual companions. With modern bioware such racist sexist transphobic game would never be made.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What writing, BG1's companions barely featured any writing at all and... oh... it's Lacrymas. Makes sense. Ok, carry on :D
I don't like 'em, but Kristjanson did accomplish his goal by making them so memorable with so many people with the little writing they do have, not unlike the Jagged Alliance crews.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't like 'em, but Kristjanson did accomplish his goal by making them so memorable with so many people with the little writing they do have, not unlike the Jagged Alliance crews.
And I prefer that instead of shitty average depressing companions like Aloth, all that writing is wasted if you cannot make it an interesting character. Edwin was cardboard character but at least he was fun. And they did great things with him in BG2.. I guess it is a lost art by now...

Reinhardt

Arcane
You should print a newspaper on the CRPG Golden Age™. That way you'll be truly an expert.
Fucking newfags.

Pervobyitnaya-zhivopis.jpg

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, I'm not sure what you see in them either Lacrymas. I appreciated that most of them were fairly anonymous and non emo, but that's pretty much it.
What is them? If you mean BG games,then i will ask you:Have you played/finish them?
Them is BG1 companions.
That's too bad, I'm sure someone more gifted than myself would've appreciated your insight.

It is clear to me that you don't even know how to use Google. Since you are unlikely to be 80 years old, I put that down to an extremely low intelligence.
I swear to you that I tried. I did find a post titled "Pitting the Golden Age against the Renaissance" or something to that effect, but that was mostly technobabble and you barely commented on the actual games at all. I'm genuinely curious as to how someone who claims to be as experienced with Golden Age RPGs as you is prepared to dismiss them wholesale.

A big part of combat is how it feels, and one of the benefits of RTwP over TB is the fluidity that comes with RT combat. This game looks like it has none of that fluidity.
Maybe i'm just too traumatised by PoE's abomination of a combat system, but i would say that reduced fluidity is an advantage in this case as it helps to separate combat into perceivable individual actions that you can actually keep track of.
exactly, and the combat log is detailed and amazing. The combat looks so much better than in PoE, plus its not based on some intellectuals overly autistic ideas. I have not played it yet of course, but I obviously have high hopes.
So far combat clarity is somewhat better than in PoE. Partly due to slower movement and attacks, partly due to familiar system so most people who know d20 can read combat more easily (like in one of the streams, where streamer realised that he got high crit onto character because enemy was armed with battle axe and those have high crit range).

Now if only it also had art on level of PoE.

Seems like we always get only one of two or more good things in RPGs. Some devs do animations and pacing right, others graphics, and they can never forge an alliance of the betters.

I do think PoE is a better looking game, but honestly if this game gets combat right I won't care much about that. The graphics are good enough that it will all be about the game play for the most part for me. I don't like pathfinder art style, and I sort of think the company making this game might not either, because to me it appears they have tried to tone it down as much as possible. Because the art must be approved by paizo I give them a break on this issue for the most part. I guess I do wish it was D20 based because of the art issue, but other than that I am looking forward to a proper CRPG using AD&D rules.

If this game is able to be modded this could turn out to be a great boon for D&D CRPG enthusiasts even if the kingmaker game is not that great, itself. So much so that I might even try to learn how to mod myself if it seems halfway doable.

You realize that review is about BG 1? And it more or less correct.
And let's not even start talking about the game's mechanics and combat system -- by modern standards, the rules based on D&D 2 edition are horribly archaic and just barely more playable than SSI's Gold Box mathfest.
Disgusting!
I sort of agree, AD&D 1st edition rules are the best D&D rules ever...2nd edition is 2nd best, 3.5 3ed best, 3ed edition 4th best, 5th edition 5th, and 4th edition is the worst...

ArchAngel

Arcane
A big part of combat is how it feels, and one of the benefits of RTwP over TB is the fluidity that comes with RT combat. This game looks like it has none of that fluidity.
Maybe i'm just too traumatised by PoE's abomination of a combat system, but i would say that reduced fluidity is an advantage in this case as it helps to separate combat into perceivable individual actions that you can actually keep track of.
exactly, and the combat log is detailed and amazing. The combat looks so much better than in PoE, plus its not based on some intellectuals overly autistic ideas. I have not played it yet of course, but I obviously have high hopes.
So far combat clarity is somewhat better than in PoE. Partly due to slower movement and attacks, partly due to familiar system so most people who know d20 can read combat more easily (like in one of the streams, where streamer realised that he got high crit onto character because enemy was armed with battle axe and those have high crit range).

Now if only it also had art on level of PoE.

Seems like we always get only one of two or more good things in RPGs. Some devs do animations and pacing right, others graphics, and they can never forge an alliance of the betters.

I do think PoE is a better looking game, but honestly if this game gets combat right I won't care much about that. The graphics are good enough that it will all be about the game play for the most part for me. I don't like pathfinder art style, and I sort of think the company making this game might not either, because to me it appears they have tried to tone it down as much as possible. Because the art must be approved by paizo I give them a break on this issue for the most part. I guess I do wish it was D20 based because of the art issue, but other than that I am looking forward to a proper CRPG using AD&D rules.

If this game is able to be modded this could turn out to be a great boon for D&D CRPG enthusiasts even if the kingmaker game is not that great, itself. So much so that I might even try to learn how to mod myself if it seems halfway doable.
Unlike Obsidian these devs seem like a bunch that might want to provide some modding tools if the game sells well enough. I am hoping it sells better than PoE2 (should be easy due to better game but hard due to being unknown company).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Them is BG1 companions.
They are minimalistic but well written at least most of them,certainly better than PoE2. All PoE2 did is make me replay BG1,now i am near the end and exploring Durlag's Tower. I must say that i see my self in 10-20 years time still replaying BG games,but i can't see doing it for any PoE. Can you?

So what era are we in now?
In the Victorian era obviously,people are inventing the full on manufacture of games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom