Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

laclongquan

Arcane
How to build the characters in Planescape Torment:

1. Get a DnD archetype (tiefling thief, succubus, fighter mage of a lost city, abused apprentice become elemental evoker....)
2. Define details for each of them in a theme (fathercon girl, suppressed slut in clerical garb, tortured leader over past failure, abused boy...)
3. Write each interaction lines very well.
4. profit!

See the difference from this format to the above? It's the writers, biatch!

ArchAngel

Arcane
How to build the characters in Planescape Torment:

1. Get a DnD archetype (tiefling thief, succubus, fighter mage of a lost city, abused apprentice become elemental evoker....)
2. Define details for each of them in a theme (fathercon girl, suppressed slut in clerical garb, tortured leader over past failure, abused boy...)
3. Write each interaction lines very well.
4. profit!

See the difference from this format to the above? It's the writers, biatch!
Writers are biggest influence but your #1 i #2 are already more interesting and complex than what standard fantasy offers.

Unwanted

YanBG

Unwanted
Where/why did the dev say that? I'm interested in this and Black Geyser because they kinda look like BG, so it's a weird claim to make.

>Plans to release with 14 classes.

Plus 3 archetypes for each class, plus several prestige classes.

>The game is single player. That means once you complete the single player campaign, you probably won't have much else to do, unless they add so much depth to the game that it is actually replayable like Skyrim or something. A multiplayer mode would be greatly appreciated, maybe even a DM mode.

14 classes plus 3 arch types per class plus prestige classes? That is fucking incline as hell.

confirm their game ISN'T a piece of shit.

Go right ahead:

Finally saw the video (part 2), and the game looks like absolute dog shit. The lighting is bad, the 3D graphics and animations are absolutely disgusting, combat looks unintuitive and clunky, and that fucking dialogue...

many of you guys are such decline fucking whiny little faggot ass bitches about the graphics shit.

OMG GOD DA SHADOWS! FUCK LOOK AT DA THE SHADOWS AND DID U SEE THE LIGHTING??!! THE LIGHTING!!! OMG!! AND THE WATER REFLECTIONS !!! I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH HORRIBLE WATER REFLECTIONS!!!! FUCK I WILL NEVER PLAY ANOTHER GAME THIS COMPANY EVER MAKES!!! THE FUCKING REFLECTION AND LIGHT COMING OFF MY SWORD!!! HOLY SHIT!!! FUCK FUCK FUCK!!! DA SHADOWS!@!!

Jesus fucking christ shut the fuck up you complaining ass cunts, the game already looks better than near any isometric CPRG ever released. my god the endless bitching about graphics, not to mention that its often about shadows and shit is tiresome as hell.

PrettyDeadman

Where/why did the dev say that? I'm interested in this and Black Geyser because they kinda look like BG, so it's a weird claim to make.

In a steam review:
https://steamcommunity.com/id/thainen/recommended/228280

They have a lot of various review in their profile, mostly adventure game, but also some rpgs.
Judging by their reviews, playtimes and groups they seem to be a hardcore incel gamer with a taste for hardcore adventure games and inclined rpg preferences (might be too incline for rpgcodex).

Last edited by a moderator:
A big part of combat is how it feels, and one of the benefits of RTwP over TB is the fluidity that comes with RT combat. This game looks like it has none of that fluidity.
Maybe i'm just too traumatised by PoE's abomination of a combat system, but i would say that reduced fluidity is an advantage in this case as it helps to separate combat into perceivable individual actions that you can actually keep track of.
exactly, and the combat log is detailed and amazing. The combat looks so much better than in PoE, plus its not based on some intellectuals overly autistic ideas. I have not played it yet of course, but I obviously have high hopes.

It gets even worse - He's one of the writers

actually that is better. This game (like most CRPG) will or will not be good based almost entirely on its combat and character progression mechanics. Him being a writer means hopefully he won't be able to pollute the mechanical elements of the game. This is the same group who made silent storm and some other good tactical combat games, so I remain hopeful..

Last edited:
Anyone that believes Dragon Age has "deep and nuanced characters" isn't to be trusted.
The secret to writing deep and nuanced Dragon Age characters:
1. take a regular D&D style character
2. add one secret backstory (plus point if it is a dark past)
3. unlock that backstory to the player through the game
4. GOTY all years!

you skipped a step.

1. take a regular D&D style character
1a. make him/her gay
2. add one secret backstory (plus point if it is a dark past)
3. unlock that backstory to the player through the game
4. GOTY all years!

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

In a steam review:

They have a lot of various review in their profile, mostly adventure game, but also some rpgs.
Judging by their reviews, playtimes and groups they seem to be a hardcore incel gamer with a taste for hardcore adventure games and inclined rpg preferences (might be to incline for rpgcodex).

Uh have you seen their Deus Ex review? They literally complain the game has no quest compass and the level design is too complex.

Russian Dev said:
Here's an example of a great game that didn't age well. While nothing can take away its cult status and its place in the pantheon of gaming, actually playing it today is a pain. The interface is less than convenient. The upgrade system is cryptic, as you never know in advance which skills or augmentations you are going to use, and which are a waste of resources. The levels are huge, dark, labyrinthine, with lots of ladders and passages hidden in plain sight and no minimap or quest markers so you are guranteed to wander them for hours, not sure where exactly you are supposed to go. The gameplay is clunky, as the game isn't sure whether it wants to be an RPG, a shooter or a stealth action, making every play style equally hard to enjoy.

PrettyDeadman

In a steam review:

Judging by their reviews, playtimes and groups they seem to be a hardcore incel gamer with a taste for hardcore adventure games and inclined rpg preferences (might be to incline for rpgcodex).

Uh have you seen their Deus Ex review? They literally complain the game has no quest compass and the level design is too complex.

Russian Dev said:
Here's an example of a great game that didn't age well. While nothing can take away its cult status and its place in the pantheon of gaming, actually playing it today is a pain. The interface is less than convenient. The upgrade system is cryptic, as you never know in advance which skills or augmentations you are going to use, and which are a waste of resources. The levels are huge, dark, labyrinthine, with lots of ladders and passages hidden in plain sight and no minimap or quest markers so you are guranteed to wander them for hours, not sure where exactly you are supposed to go. The gameplay is clunky, as the game isn't sure whether it wants to be an RPG, a shooter or a stealth action, making every play style equally hard to enjoy.

Maybe it's time to take a hard look on rpgcodex favourite oldscool games?

ArchAngel

Arcane

In a steam review:

Russian Dev said:
I can agree that the non modded version does have clunky gameplay. I don't agree with the rest.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Shadenuat

Arcane
A big part of combat is how it feels, and one of the benefits of RTwP over TB is the fluidity that comes with RT combat. This game looks like it has none of that fluidity.
Maybe i'm just too traumatised by PoE's abomination of a combat system, but i would say that reduced fluidity is an advantage in this case as it helps to separate combat into perceivable individual actions that you can actually keep track of.
exactly, and the combat log is detailed and amazing. The combat looks so much better than in PoE, plus its not based on some intellectuals overly autistic ideas. I have not played it yet of course, but I obviously have high hopes.
So far combat clarity is somewhat better than in PoE. Partly due to slower movement and attacks, partly due to familiar system so most people who know d20 can read combat more easily (like in one of the streams, where streamer realised that he got high crit onto character because enemy was armed with battle axe and those have high crit range).

Now if only it also had art on level of PoE.

Seems like we always get only one of two or more good things in RPGs. Some devs do animations and pacing right, others graphics, and they can never forge an alliance of the betters.

Thonius

Arcane
So you will deny that BG2>BG1 and both had a share quite boring/bad characters? And that D&D 3 or 3.5 > D&D 2?
"Open world" done better in Morrowind, combat/rule-set in TOEE, dialog plot and characters in Torment. Even keep management was done better in NWN2
So yeah if Pathfinder manages to make combat/ruleset adaptation good then it's just nostalgia that stands in a way to proclaiming it better that bg1.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So you will deny that BG2>BG1 and both had a share quite boring/bad characters? And that D&D 3 or 3.5 > D&D 2?
Who, me? I will deny that 2nd Ed. is horribly archaic and that Gold Box isn't playable. Anyone who calls that franchise a "mathfest" clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
That dev seems to favour adventure games over RPGs, judging from their steam reviews anyway.

I just hope they don't have anything to do with the game design outside of writing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
A writer who doesn't understand what is good about BG1's companions in terms of writing should be a) hanged and b) not write any more. Xir misses the point so hard about basically anything in that game, I'm not exactly sure xem should be in the video game industry in any capacity. From what I'm reading, I can without any doubt extrapolate the writing will be shit in this game, on the level of PoE2.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I see that the retard is polluting this thread also with his PoE shilling and hate for IE games. No wonder PoE ended up such a cesspit with devs like him. I am tired of all the edgy dipshit teens trying to shit on good games like BG. How about we go back to the pathfinder game?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, I'm not sure what you see in them either Lacrymas. I appreciated that most of them were fairly anonymous and non emo, but that's pretty much it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom