Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Newfag.

amoeba_7054_md.gif

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I must say that i see my self in 10-20 years time still replaying BG games,but i can't see doing it for any PoE. Can you?
I don't see myself replaying any of them to be honest, the BGs are "good for what it is" games as far as I'm concerned. I also prefer more straightforward companions, though, but in a post-Torment world I don't see these kinds of studios going back to that style.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They aren't "good for what they are", they are good. And yes, people will still replay them in 20 years, exactly how they are replaying them now, 20 years after their release. None of these "Renaissance" RPGs will be, they are basically forgotten 2 weeks after they release, let alone in 20 years. Their respective threads are ghost-towns, even on here.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
And yes, people will still replay them in 20 years, exactly how they are replaying them now, 20 years after their release.
I won't be one of them.
None of these "Renaissance" RPGs will be, they are basically forgotten 2 weeks after they release, let alone in 20 years. Their respective threads are ghost-towns, even on here.
Time will tell. Several games from the 80s have an extremely small playerbase despite being the blockbusters of their day, and despite being just as good as Baldur's Gate. That's in my humble opinion, of course. The number of people who are willing to go back to a game from 1999 shrinks for every passing year, and not everyone who's played and enjoyed it will want to replay it, much less 20 years from now. I know that you think the BGs are better than any recent offerings, but I don't, I'm not alone, and who cares about popularity anyway?

Lacrymas

Arcane
What has that have to do with anything? Having shit taste is not "liking" the BGs/IE games, works that have proven themselves to have lasting appeal across even generations. It's incredibly irrelevant whether you like them or not, that is your problem, not a problem of the games. While the "Renaissance" games' threads are ghost-towns on one of the most active and rabid forums in existence less than a year after they released.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
How much of that lasting appeal do you think is due to the enormous initial popularity of the series, not to mention the fact that it is the purported masterpiece of Bioware, one of the biggest names in the RPG industry today? I daresay that Half-Life 2 will be replayed 40 years from now too, but that has little to do with its quality relative to other shooters of its time.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I'm glad the 'Dex isn't a buzzfeed. 'Dex is all about intelligent discussion, and it's buttons don't create hiveminds and popularity contests.

Lacrymas

Arcane
How much of that lasting appeal do you think is due to the enormous initial popularity of the series, not to mention the fact that it is the purported masterpiece of Bioware, one of the biggest names in the RPG industry today?

This is a philosophical problem and one of the talking points of the postmodernists, and the cultivation of taste. I know of a pianist who experimented with a piece like this, he claimed the piece is from 3 different composers on 3 different occasions. One of the times it was from Beethoven, the second was from Czerny (his student) and the third time was from an unknown composer. He got 3 different reactions from the public doing this, proclaiming it a masterpiece, or at least very good, when they thought it was Beethoven, and were lukewarm or even aggressive when they thought it was from the other two. I won't go into it because it's a tremendous problem, but that doesn't mean the IE games aren't good.

Sizzle

Arcane
It's far too early to tell, but odds are good that the IE games (and not just them: Fallout 1-2, Arcanum, Wiz 8, etc.) will be played (though probably only by fans who want to see what gaming was like then) for a long time to come.

They have a clear and easy to use interface, and their graphics are passable enough to not cause discomfort.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
I won't go into it because it's a tremendous problem, but that doesn't mean the IE games aren't good.
And I didn't say they aren't. I said that their popularity, even 20 or 40 years later, is no proof of their quality, and the same goes for the lack of traffic in the Kickstarter RPG threads. Lasting appeal doesn't mean shit to me, not when gamers' tastes are what they are.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Lasting appeal across generations is one of the indicators of quality, so it matters. And it matters a lot. It means that the zeitgeist doesn't affect the perception of its quality, and it may be timelessly relevant.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Not in video games, the most juvenile and contemptuous of history of any form of entertainment.
It means that the zeitgeist doesn't affect the perception of its quality, and it may be timelessly relevant.
I think this is more a case of the zeitgeist not being quite dead (lol) yet.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Not in video games, the most juvenile and contemptuous of history of any form of entertainment.

No. Video games are part of our culture and they have incredible potential. They aren't worse than f.e. contemporary pop songs that pollute my ears constantly, they are actually better. If you think they are so juvenile and worthy of contempt, why are you posting on a forum dedicated to video games?

ArchAngel

Arcane
How much of that lasting appeal do you think is due to the enormous initial popularity of the series, not to mention the fact that it is the purported masterpiece of Bioware, one of the biggest names in the RPG industry today? I daresay that Half-Life 2 will be replayed 40 years from now too, but that has little to do with its quality relative to other shooters of its time.
Bioware was not the biggest name when BG1 was released. I doubt their retarded modern fans go back to play BG1 just to see how it was in old days. Just like Bethesda retarded fans don't go and play Arena or Morrowind.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Which ones do you mean exactly?
All of them. D:OS, Wasteland 2, PoE, T:ToN, Shadowrun...
If you think they are so juvenile and worthy of contempt, why are you posting on a forum dedicated to video games?
I meant its fans, sorry. And its press. And most developers. I post here because I like playing and discussing video games, that's it. I think video games are mass-produced commercial entertainment products, much like modern pop music, and I'm fine with that.
Bioware was not the biggest name when BG1 was released. I doubt their retarded modern fans go back to play BG1 just to see how it was in old days.
Bioware's continued existence keeps the BG name alive, if for no other reason than because journos want to sound smart, and I do think that has a significant effect on its popularity.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Bg quality and legendary status keep the name alive. Players that enjoyed the game keep talking about it again and again. Just like they keep talking about Vampire Bloodlines and that game keeps being played by new people. It had no big name behind it and that dev company is dead now so your theory is pure crap.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Bioware was not the biggest name when BG1 was released. I doubt their retarded modern fans go back to play BG1 just to see how it was in old days. Just like Bethesda retarded fans don't go and play Arena or Morrowind.

I doubt Bioware even has fans anymore after Andomeda.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
ArchAngel The legendary status of the BG name keeps those games alive. Vtm:B's quality keeps that game alive. See the difference? I should add, again, that I don't think the BGs are bad games, just that their popularity is underserved, relatively speaking.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I meant its fans, sorry. And its press. And most developers. I post here because I like playing and discussing video games, that's it. I think video games are mass-produced commercial entertainment products, much like modern pop music, and I'm fine with that.

There are a lot of experimental games out there that are decidedly not made to appeal the same way modern pop music is. Tale of Tales have been releasing short, experimental games for years now, like The Path, The Graveyard, Bientôt l'été, and most recently Sunset, their attempt at appealing to a larger audience while still retaining something more. Yet they never got mainstream attention and I think they've said Sunset would be their last game because they can't financially support themselves. Have you played or supported them? What about other such developers? You opine and bemoan the apparent mainstream and low-brow nature of video games, yet it's not clear whether you've even heard of those that aren't.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
You opine the apparent mainstream and low-brown nature of video games, yet it's not clear whether you've even heard of those that aren't.
Are you questioning muh gamer cred, you philistine, you poseur!?
Surely you understood that I meant the vast majority of fans, the vast majority of press, the vast majority of devs. And I haven't heard of those, no. I'm more of an RPG guy. Have you heard of Underrail, Age of Decadence, Serpent in the Staglands, NEO Scavenger? I'm a patron of the motherfuckin arts.

Besides, those games you mention are all mass-produced commercial entertainment products. :M

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom