Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker sales and the single-player real-time-with-pause ceiling

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A single game does not show anything about a genre or subgenre of games.
This is based on Tyranny, Deadfire, and Kingmaker which is enough to make an assessment about the audience for fantasy rtwp games.

The ceiling for games like that is a lot bigger than what POE and PK sales suggest. There are other factors at play, like the bugged releases, low production values, low marketing, etc. Also, RTwP was a mainstray in AAA games 2 decades ago, now modern gamers don't know about it, except us neckbeards. Without proper marketing campaigns and fancy graphicz, it is very difficult to push AAA sale figures. Also keep in mind that technically Dragon Age was RTwP, and it did really well on sales, even the garbage Inquisition sold like hotcakes... So, as i said earlier, it is a multi-factor problem and not just "the RTwP ceiling".

You contradict "now modern gamers don't know about it, except us neckbeards" with "even the garbage Inquisition sold like hotcakes"

Additionally, Deadfire wasn't any more buggy than any other RPG, no one could accuse it (or Kingmaker) of having low production values, and while Deadfire's marketing was inept, it didn't need a huge marketing push being a sequel to a million+ seller.

Ranarama

Learned
Additionally, Deadfire wasn't any more buggy than any other RPG, no one could accuse it (or Kingmaker) of having low production values, and while Deadfire's marketing was inept, it didn't need a huge marketing push being a sequel to a million+ seller.

Being a sequel and failing to market is basically accepting that you'll get less sales.

It's worse for PoE because many players, including myself, didn't bother to finish the fucking thing. And who plays a sequel after that kind of experience? You'd need some kind of marketing to convince me.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is based on Tyranny, Deadfire, and Kingmaker which is enough to make an assessment about the audience for fantasy rtwp games.
But not PoE? Also, Kingmaker has been out for 5-6 days.

Tigranes

Arcane
all of this smells of confirmation bias.

what if its not about ruleset used, but number of featured headlines on home page? Would be nice to compile this statistic and compare how game is received on dex...

It will be called the Infinitron Factor, and attached in neon lettering to every game on the Codex steam curator page

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Was it the MCA dumpster fire thread where he revealed half the people at Obsidian as cretins? Or is it just because nothing Obsidian have done since New Vegas has been worth playing?

2house2fly

Magister
MCA said the owners are cretins, he doesn't seem to mind Sawyer one way or another. Possibly it's due to Sawyer going insane and trying to simplify PoE2's combat by adding more mechanics

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
But not PoE? Also, Kingmaker has been out for 5-6 days.
PoE was a fluke because it was brand new and attracted a lot of curious newcomers.

I'm comparing week one sales to week one sales, those you can reliably expect to pay full price for a new fantasy rtwp RPG.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
PoE was a fluke because it was brand new and attracted a lot of curious newcomers.

I'm comparing week one sales to week one sales, those you can reliably expect to pay full price for a new fantasy rtwp RPG.

Lol, Roguey, do you even hear yourself. Excluding evidence that doesn't support our theory :lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Lol, Roguey, do you even hear yourself. Excluding evidence that doesn't support our theory :lol:

It's not excluding evidence. PoE was the first, and no other rtwp RPG has been able to exceed or even match its week one sales, not unlike what happened with Grimrock and other blobbers.

AwesomeButton

Patron

It's not excluding evidence. PoE was the first, and no other rtwp RPG has been able to exceed or even match its week one sales, not unlike what happened with Grimrock and other blobbers.
If I understood you correctly, you are not taking PoE into your comparison because it was the first IE-like game in a long time, right?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We’ll see. Didn’t PK spend most of its first week at number one on Steam? Even now it’s number ten on global top sellers. Deadfire vanished from that list in like a day, not sure if Tyranny was ever on it.

I suspect that the ceiling for these games is somewhere between Deadfire/Tyranny and POE. The issue is that Pillars didn’t just capture a huge amount of pent up demand, I think it also put a lot of those players in isometric RTWP limbo. Not that they disliked it, because outside of this place it still seems very well-regarded. But POE was a huge time commitment that was not very engaging, especially before the expansions. There are about a million people who bought the game, played it for too long to return, and then just kinda lost interest. When they look at a new isometric RTWP RPG, many of them probably say to themselves, “I should finish Pillars before I buy another one of these,” and then they never do either.

Like Roguey I enjoyed POE 3.0 just fine, and I loved a lot of things about Tyranny (Deadfire I’m having a limbo experience with—okay for what it is, but stuck at 25 hours in since June because I just don’t feel compelled to boot up the game).

Kingmaker is way, way better, though. Just playing it makes me feel a hundred times more disappointed with Obsidian. I hope that will matter to its sales because it actually scratches the nostalgia itch in a way none of these others have done.

One thing: it’s not single player RTWP that imposes the ceiling, it’s the isometric perspective. NWN2 and DAO both sold millions of units. Real time with pause is not the problem, an RPG that looks like a strategy game is. Throw in an over the shoulder camera and some cutscenes and sales would go through the roof. Of course, that shit is expensive.

If your thesis is right, these games should NEVER be made in America. They require a ton of labor and a 300,000 unit ceiling means that you can’t really make an old school RPG that’s both packed with content and profitable. Owlcat’s model is the way to go: hire a bunch of Russians and bring in one American writer like MCA as a branching narrative consultant.

There’s a reason Kingmaker looks to be two or three times the size of Deadfire.

Edit 2: old school RPGs are like sneakers or textiles—you have to be crazy to manufacture them in a first world country.

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I agree even more after the edit.

I don’t understand why more of this work doesn’t get outsourced to India. They have a massive software industry and 50 million near native English speakers who’ll work for ten cents on the dollar. For all of Feargus’ heartlessness as a manager, the guy clearly has no understanding of business. Kickstarter is the perfect platform for companies that know how to stick to a budget. Yet they never seem to say, “okay, we’ve got $4 million in preorders, let’s make it last.” Instead they light that money on fire by paying California wages. It’s absurd.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I agree even more after the edit.

I don’t understand why more of this work doesn’t get outsourced to India. They have a massive software industry and 50 million near native English speakers who’ll work for ten cents on the dollar. For all of Feargus’ heartlessness as a manager, the guy clearly has no understanding of business. Kickstarter is the perfect platform for companies that know how to stick to a budget. Yet they never seem to say, “okay, we’ve got $4 million in preorders, let’s make it last.” Instead they light that money on fire by paying California wages. It’s absurd.
Wouldn't this approach make Feargus an outcast in commie California? Exploiting poor Indians at the expense of keeping local game design geniuses employed? :lol:

Seriously speaking, I think designing a game is way too complex for this to work. They may be able to outsource the more technical parts, but the actual game design, I can't imagine that. The Owlcat example is successful because the designers themselves are very well versed in the rules.

laclongquan

Arcane
Or Vietnam. We have a ton of workshops for Japanese here. not sure about western developers.

As for the range, it goes from graphics for Squarenix to skillcheck-heavy text-heavy game like Academagia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom