Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker sales and the single-player real-time-with-pause ceiling

amurath

Educated
According to Steamspy, Kingmaker sold ~700K copies on Steam. I guessing with GOG, the total is 750-800K. I bet it'll hit 1+ million in a few years with new sales, especially if/when they release the console edition. https://steamspy.com/dev/Owlcat+Games

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
As with Deadfire, I consider the absense of bragging about hitting one million as a certain sign that they haven't hit it yet.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh, sure, Kingmaker may very well have a longer tail than both Deadfire and Tyranny (and I hope it does; anything that puts Obsidian out of business is all right with me), but I doubt we're ever going to see Divinity: Original Sin II or even Pillars of Eternity levels of success from any near-future rtwp RPG without some big changes.

I don't even remember making this thread, but it looks like this is correct.

One can say Swen did the safest thing by making BG3 turn-based. :M

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh, sure, Kingmaker may very well have a longer tail than both Deadfire and Tyranny (and I hope it does; anything that puts Obsidian out of business is all right with me), but I doubt we're ever going to see Divinity: Original Sin II or even Pillars of Eternity levels of success from any near-future rtwp RPG without some big changes.

I don't even remember making this thread, but it looks like this is correct.

One can say Swen did the safest thing by making BG3 turn-based. :M

Depends on the modding. Game is a great mod away from cult status. TB mod was the first step to keep all the Amish Luddite Geezer TBtards from running to their mommies.

Desiderius

Patron
RTwP in P:K plays like TB + simultaneous action/moving targets with the extensive autopause customization, which is best of both worlds.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Who had what? Baldur's Gate 2 had multiplayer, and it was fine back in the day.

Sure, but apparently they shouldn't have bothered since most people played it single-player (according to Josh).

NWN did fine with multiplayer, though it's a different thing (single character control).

Desiderius

Patron
RTwP in P:K plays like TB + simultaneous action/moving targets with the extensive autopause customization, which is best of both worlds.
Yeah, but no. Thank you anyway for the effort. :greatjob:

If you want to play turn-based, just get your grandkids together and play PnP like Judi Densch does after Vin Diesel taught her to play D&D. Leave the cRPGs to the RT people who need them.

Desiderius

Patron
Leave the cRPGs to the RT people who need them.

You mean cRPG as a mean to ease ReTarded people lives ?

How nice of you ... Oh, wait, you're one of them, aren't you ?

Nope, just people who take advantage of the enhanced realism and challenge technology affords rather than living as Amish Luddite Backwards Stick-in-the-Mud Geezer Obsolete Defunct Outdated Nostalgic Rip Van Winkles.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Leave the cRPGs to the RT people who need them.

You mean cRPG as a mean to ease ReTarded people lives ?

How nice of you ... Oh, wait, you're one of them, aren't you ?

Nope, just people who take advantage of the enhanced realism and challenge technology affords rather than living as Amish Luddite Backwards Stick-in-the-Mud Geezer Obsolete Defunct Outdated Nostalgic Rip Van Winkles.
Enhanced realism. You are trying really hard to make me laugh to death, right?

Also, "challenge", what the actual fuck. Buy a gun and shoot some pigeons if you want to test your aim. That's like 1% of the difficulty of games like these, who fucking cares, it's completely irrelevant. It's not like you can breeze through the game without leveling once if you are Clint Eastwood.

And this was about sales, nothing else, give us a break from your "TB is for Amish Luddite Babbly Bobbly Bubbly Bibbly" just for once, please.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
By the way, Wrath of the Righteous KS surpassed DOS2's(by little, but even getting there is already quite the achievement), so the assumption that we'll never see DOS2 level of success in the near future may very well be proved wrong(or has already been depending on how you look at it).

Desiderius

Patron

Also, "challenge", what the actual fuck. Buy a gun and shoot some pigeons if you want to test your aim. That's like 1% of the difficulty of games like these, who fucking cares, it's completely irrelevant. It's not like you can breeze through the game without leveling once if you are Clint Eastwood.

And this was about sales, nothing else, give us a break from your "TB is for Amish Luddite Babbly Bobbly Bubbly Bibbly" just for once, please.

It's a joke, Fucktard.

On the other hand, reality doesn't care what you want. The phenomenon combat systems seek to emulate does not include mobs standing still while you run up and hit them. It's just profoundly immersion breaking.

Playing in a permanent field of Time Stop is in fact easier than not playing in a field of permanent Time Stop. That's why it's a Ninth Level spell. Alternatively one can employ the "whine to the devs because I'm too lazy to get a PnP group together" cantrip evidently. Don't blame us for pointing out your absurdity when it costs us the games we love. If games go all RTwP you still have PnP. We don't have anything if you turn all cRPGs into glorified PnP simulators.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
By the way, Wrath of the Righteous KS surpassed DOS2's(by little, but even getting there is already quite the achievement), so the assumption that we'll never see DOS2 level of success in the near future may very well be proved wrong(or has already been depending on how you look at it).
Yeah that blew me away. Hopefully that means Wrath will be a bigger and better game than Kingmaker.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

It's a joke, Fucktard.

On the other hand, reality doesn't care what you want. The phenomenon combat systems seek to emulate does not include mobs standing still while you run up and hit them. It's just profoundly immersion breaking.

Playing in a permanent field of Time Stop is in fact easier than not playing in a field of permanent Time Stop. That's why it's a Ninth Level spell. Alternatively one can employ the "whine to the devs because I'm too lazy to get a PnP group together" cantrip evidently. Don't blame us for pointing out your absurdity when it costs us the games we love. If games go all RTwP you still have PnP. We don't have anything if you turn all cRPGs into glorified PnP simulators.
Seek help

Desiderius

Patron
If games go all RTwP you still have PnP. We don't have anything if you turn all cRPGs into glorified PnP simulators.

By your logic you should just go full out LARPing and enjoy your full immersion RT autism.

Full immersion = moving targets. Interesting concept. I guess if that's all the devs can come up with it will have to do. I have more confidence in them than that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom