Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: The Dragon's Demand - Pathfinder 2E turn-based miniatures RPG from Ossian Studios - Kickstarter Live

4 seems to be the standard now. Sad that you can't experience a lot more of the more niche picks but it isn't a deal breaker. I'll go with my standard Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Druid team. The classes like alchemist are usually reserved for the final slots after I fulfil the roles I will need for sure so it is a bit of a disappointment but it is what it is. Waiting for 8 characters to make a come back but won't happen in our post BG3 world
The amount of class features and actions are vastly greater than in AD&D. Characters have a lot more to do now--especially martials. I think that's the main culprit. People didn't like how fighters could only attack or spellcasters could occasionally cast a spell. Pillars of Eternity tried to improve that by making fighter abilities modals, but it wasn't much use.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Pathfinder 2E is a system about forming strong teams instead of strong characters, you absolutely do not want to play it with a 6 man party cause doing so trivializes the system. And makes it too easy to form a strong team. The system is interesting only when you have to make difficult choices for your party.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Pathfinder 2E is a system about forming strong teams instead of strong characters, you absolutely do not want to play it with a 6 man party cause doing so trivializes the system. And makes it too easy to form a strong team. The system is interesting only when you have to make difficult choices for your party.
But I want to play niche builds that I can't justify without having my base first.

scytheavatar

Scholar
But I want to play niche builds that I can't justify without having my base first.

In general if you want to play builds, PF2E isn't a system you are going to like a lot. The system is balanced to the point the meh builds and min max builds are only about 25% apart in power. Like I said, PF2E is a system about building strong teams instead of strong characters.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
The downside to builds is that you can build yourself out of having fun by making yourself OP. It's part of the reason why strategy games with less or no character building are more strategic. Having a stronger focus on team building instead of character building could be interesting and I don't think having huge access to builds is required

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

In general PF2 is kindaaa balanced differently that you might have choice not to have Wizard/Sorcerer. Each character in PF2E has much more utility than its PF1 counterpart, and depending on the availability of magical items, you can probably get offs by not having pure Casters of certain school (Arcane/Divine/Primal/Occult) by way of devotion (basically multiclass option) + using magical items

PF2E is not 3.5 adjacent with an ultra-high optimization ceiling to the point you can numerically break the game.

This campaign is also a low level one so there are a lot of room to improvise

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Characters have a lot more to do now--especially martials. I think that's the main culprit
Funny, my impression is that restricting characters to specified feats and actions is a lot less entertaining and less challenging than having players decide the actions to take using rhe environment and what not.

Mauman

Scholar
The problem with pf2e is the same problem that 4th edition had. They're trying to turn it into more of a cooperative strategy game than a roleplaying game.

Now, the issue is nowhere NEAR as bad as it is in 4th edition, but it's still there and it's still shit.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The problem with pf2e is the same problem that 4th edition had. They're trying to turn it into more of a cooperative strategy game than a roleplaying game.

Now, the issue is nowhere NEAR as bad as it is in 4th edition, but it's still there and it's still shit.
That might actually work well in a videogame format. I suppose that applies also for 4e but then it died before anyone could put it to the test.

Mauman

Scholar

That might actually work well in a videogame format. I suppose that applies also for 4e but then it died before anyone could put it to the test.
It might, but I prefer roleplaying systems for my roleplaying games.

scytheavatar

Scholar

It might, but I prefer roleplaying systems for my roleplaying games.

You are conflating roleplaying with character builds craft. Both 4e and PF2e are not systems for build autism but they actually have more systems and support in place for out of combat play than 3.5/5/PF 1E had. Making a character who can wreck a dragon solo is not the only way to roleplay.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is live: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ossianstudios/pathfinder-the-dragons-demand

6c218b818b85ab8158ecab52c8d1c32d_original.jpg

9cf1e9b1ad55ca72193f3c9709c005c2_original.jpg

bbe7d70c0a13885d0ae985ee1797e501_original.jpg

Pathfinder: The Dragon’s Demand is a single-player, turn-based CRPG that takes role-playing back to its roots with miniature-based characters and digital dice to recreate the look and feel of a tabletop RPG. But it opens up a whole new dimension by allowing miniatures to climb walls and trees, fly through the sky, and swim to underwater depths using an innovative three-dimensional grid system that delivers true 3D tactical combat.

Developed by Baldur’s Gate and Neverwinter Nights veterans, Pathfinder: The Dragon’s Demand features a comprehensive implementation of the remastered Pathfinder Second Edition rules in a classic CRPG format. Players can create character builds from 7 ancestries, 16 classes, and more than 30 backgrounds, customizable with hundreds of different armors and weapons. They will also encounter a cast of colorful companions who will be on hand to join their party in exploring a wide, interactive world filled with hundreds of unique characters and dozens of rich quests.

Based on the Pathfinder module The Dragon’s Demand by fan-favorite adventure designer Mike Shel, this expanded adaptation provides over 30 hours of immersive gameplay, where the world of Golarion is brought to life by cutting edge audio and visual effects, a beautiful musical score, and professional voice acting.

Our goal in bringing all of these aspects together is to recreate those feelings of excitement and discovery that make the best tabletop campaigns so memorable.

48ee247ea8e52d85e28ddf71ec4c3198_original.jpg

9801bc3fe0e30c5883c32fe22f3e1fc7_original.jpg

Deep within the ancient Verduran Forest of Taldor, in a treacherous swampland known as the Dragonfen, there exists a tale about the dragon tyrant Aeteperax, slain a thousand years ago by a band of warriors led by a valiant dragonslayer. Now, Aeteperax has inexplicably risen from death to threaten the small town of Belhaim on the edge of the Dragonfen. A new generation of heroes must hunt down and slay the dragon before it razes Belhaim to the ground!

This expanded version of The Dragon’s Demand adventure will include an entire region filled with intriguing sidequests, perilous mysteries, and cunning monsters. Player characters will experience a brand new, personal story that touches upon the same darkness that has drawn Aeteperax back from the grave: the Dark Tapestry. In the black voids between the stars lurk the ancient Great Old Ones, whose terrible cyclopean powers can captivate souls and destroy worlds.

5e09099fd7c1def7d8693af00eda4170_original.jpg

f5b312f2731ccfb3c0a337ea033eba50_original.jpg

Our guiding gameplay vision for Pathfinder: The Dragon’s Demand is to deliver a stunningly comprehensive adaptation of the remastered Pathfinder Second Edition rules set that allows players to create a diverse party and engage in deep, tactical turn-based combat while exploring a beautifully realized world that changes and reacts according to their choices.

One of the benefits of creating a digital tabletop version of the adventure is the ability to accomplish visuals that are difficult or impossible to do with physical tabletop games. For miniatures, this includes:

08274e393b64db1920c6ef50456f1eb6_original.jpg

7d5643783371158fd79995f13677587b_original.jpg

And for the dice that players can toss in the world, we’re creating all kinds of fantastical ones with special effects, like:

73a3e2b2f3b4f891968157a61b182223_original.jpg

20bacd1edb080ca990ec8bac2ab1236b_original.gif

These tabletop features are complemented by exciting visuals for skill-based environmental interactions, such as:

c42010f68ed17e14f3c775ad034a82ad_original.jpg

57770b733922c0063d8622aed41c534b_original.jpg

And of course, Pathfinder: The Dragon’s Demand will include the kind of staple gameplay features found in great party-based, tactical RPGs, where players can:

409a02c80d6829d37cf167f14b43f47c_original.jpg

fb784d49b4aea662e118c28f6819062f_original.gif

aaa972ea6db4ec780b8e1b526b4687e7_original.jpg

Curious about the world of Pathfinder: The Dragon’s Demand? Watch as our heroic party of Fumbus and his companions explore the town of Belhaim, the Dragonfen, and other dangerous places in the Verduran Forest in these short tales of epic adventure!

Tabletop Tales: Undead Heroics (Coming Soon!)
Tabletop Tales: Bad Luck Bayou (Coming Soon!)
Tabletop Tales: True Adventurers (Coming Soon!)
Tabletop Tales: Vanity Forest (Coming Soon!)
Tabletop Tales: Underwater Courage (Coming Soon!)

df905ce991a5be9a5ce08dd88fe21b04_original.jpg

Ossian Studios is an indie video game developer that has been making RPGs exclusively for 20 years, including three Dungeons & Dragons story-driven RPGs for the Neverwinter Nights franchise (Darkness over Daggerford, Mysteries of Westgate, and Tyrants of the Moonsea). We also developed the mobile RPG, The Shadow Sun, set in our own fantasy world using the Unity Engine, as well as other games like The Witcher: Scars of Betrayal, which was never released due to changing publisher priorities.

Creating RPGs with passion is what Ossian’s all about and we’ve amassed the right experience to build an ambitious game like Pathfinder: The Dragon’s Demand. Led by Alan Miranda, a former BioWare producer, the Ossian team is made up of talented, hard-working people, all of whom are RPG gamers - we love what we do!

8be6bb6902f94b6b1fa59475900e360a_original.jpg

Alan Miranda, project director and CEO of Ossian Studios, is a former BioWare producer on the Baldur’s Gate and Neverwinter Nights games, whose experience will be invaluable for helping the team focus on creating a high quality, authentic Pathfinder experience. He directs many aspects of the game’s vision in conjunction with the team leads, including narrative design, gameplay systems, artistic aesthetic, and audio production.

Kevin Smith has been Ossian’s lead programmer since 2005, switching from software architect in telecommunications to video games because of his fan devotion to classic RPGs. He has also been the programmer in charge of the mobile version of Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition and the lead programmer on the Pathfinder Adventures card game from Obsidian Entertainment.

Luke Scull has been Ossian’s lead designer and writer since 2006, and as a lifelong fan and student of RPGs going back to Gold Box games, he will ensure the game has that classic party-based role-playing feel with a riveting story and engaging characters. He is also an internationally published author best known for The Grim Company trilogy.

Philip Lyon joined Ossian in 2022 as art director. His love of tabletop and fantasy miniatures, as well as his experience with creating and selling his own line of miniatures on MyMiniFactory, was key in establishing the tabletop style used in the game. As a talented 3D artist, he is the driving force behind asset creation for the game involving modeling, sculpting, texturing/painting, and rigging.

Gabriel Dagostin joined Ossian in 2022 as lead artist. He is the wizard behind the in-game visuals, pulling together all the technical art aspects in the Unity Engine, such as shaders, lighting, and visual effects. Being an avid RPG gamer and tabletop player, he was able to draw on both experiences to help him produce the digital tabletop look for the game’s creatures, environments, and dice.

904275c6a6f1a35761693fcf5833c374_original.jpg

Pathfinder: The Dragon’s Demand is our dream game. We're well on the road to building a deep RPG experience from the ground up, utilizing a unique visual style, for a famous role-playing franchise that has gone from strength to strength. We’ve dreamed big, and we need your help to make this dream a reality!

We started this Pathfinder journey over 2 years ago, and have worked very hard to create a prototype for what we envisioned. This includes nailing down the right art style, building a solid technical foundation within the Unity Engine, and converting the remastered Pathfinder Second Edition rules into a format the game can use, which is a huge ongoing process. But there’s a lot of work needed to make this prototype into a full game, which is what this campaign is all about!

26492e395739aa8e3975fe486ac26f85_original.jpg

Ultimately, we won't just be building a game — we'll be building a platform, one that we want to expand in the future with additional games as well as new features like multiplayer. And the best way to do that is to involve you, the passionate and knowledgeable community. Your enjoyment is paramount to us! But this long-term plan all starts with hitting our funding goal for Pathfinder: The Dragon’s Demand.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Rather complicated set of crowdfunding tiers with a heavy emphasis on Pathfinder tabletop goodies.

First day backers can get a $5 discount on most tiers. The $55-60 Digital Deluxe Edition includes all in-game bonus items except the various dice collections which are exclusive to high tiers.

(These are Canadian dollars btw)

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm pretty sure they'll make the campaign goal. It's just a matter of how fast they get there and what stretch goals are met.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
> pf2e
> lv cap = 8

Hard pass.

Any info on the in-game level cap? I think the original adventure path is meant to bring characters from level 1 to 7

In KS goal "Work with lead designer Luke Scull and project director Alan Miranda on a new sidequest for Pathfinder: The Dragon’s Demand. The quest includes adding a new monster to the game, from the official list of monsters in the remastered Pathfinder Second Edition, up to level 8. Our extensive design experience will help you refine your vision into a thrilling tale with branching paths and nail-biting encounters for all players to enjoy. Plus you’ll receive an STL version of the new monster, which will be sent as a free bonus gift to all backers of the Digital Standard Edition tier and above. Quest and monster are subject to Paizo approval."

The fundamental problem is that it is a crunchy system with lots of things to learn that will scare off casuals, while the hardcore codex gang are going to be unimpressed by the Sawyerism and 4e influence on the system.

Well said. PF2e = 4e 2

The hardcore side will play anything that comes out within the DnD(-ish) based crpg genre

Nope. I rather re play any 90s D&D game or play warriors of eternal sun than play 4e/pf2e.

P2E is shit.

Yes, combines everything that sucks from 4e with everything that sucks from 5e.

Making a character who can wreck a dragon solo is not the only way to roleplay.

Sure, but game mechanics and lore should be in line. Is the case of Gurps, world of darkness, AD&D and tons of other P&P games. But is not the case of D&D 4e and PF2e.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Quite fast 1st 20% of funding.
They'll probably make it.

I'm pretty sure they'll make the campaign goal. It's just a matter of how fast they get there and what stretch goals are met.

As the rewards make clear, this Kickstarter is heavily aimed at the tabletop audience, not at CRPG elitists. The biggest campaigns on Kickstarter are boardgame and tabletop stuff, so it's not a bad strategy. It might still be a close one, though.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Screenshot-2024-09-25-061933.png

I like NWN2 Mystery of Westgate so... why the hell not? Backed!

With Owlcat and Larian moving on from Pathfinder/D&D respectively, guess I will have to rely on Ossian Studio and Tactical Adventures (Solasta) to get my Pathfinder/D&D video game adaption fix from now on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom