Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Do you want to play a fantasy kingdom/crusade simulator, or do you actually want to play an RPG with skillchecks, story and exploration.

Choose 1, dont mix! one or the other will be half-baked

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Forge, Conflux, Dungeon, Castle, Rampart, Tower, Fortress, and Stronghold
Thank god that they finally came to their senses and chopped Inferno.
HPL050Hr.png
> Hey schweetie, wanna hang out?

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Idk about this system, Kingdom management was boring and I didn't care for it. System may be saved by tactical combat, someone hurry up and try it and tell us how it is.

Shinros

Learned
On Tactical combat, preface to say I don't play much of Heroes of might and magic, it's been quite some time since I touched the franchise.

I've only reached early chapter 3, so here are my early impressions. It's grid based, you recruit units. You can assign heroes who cast spells, your units also have abilities. Archers can get rapid shot(better pick it when you level up, it's that good), Hellknights and Paladins can smite. etc (Paladins can also heal) So far from what I've played the four units we have available is Hellknights, Paladins, Infantry and Archers. Infantry is you standard meat shield, Hellknights are your bruiser up front fighters and paladins are more or less support with good melee capabilities. Archers are your dps, so far Archers are so good that I'm mainly spamming them along with Hellknights. So far, what makes the mode interesting to me is the enemy variety, since you fight enemies in the game, they also can cast spells. So I expect the higher tier fights to be pretty interesting, instead of the face-roll early game battles. Also, clearing certain battles rewards you magical items and exp.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Do one thing really well instead of wasting dev. time, resources, etc. on a bunch of extraneous crap attempting to please all people. There was a very solid tactical combat system married to a deep RPG with good storytelling. Stop there! Even that is an accomplishment in the decline of 2020. Why the need to once again add more?

I turned Kingdom off very shortly into the game realizing that it was a half-baked useless system. Now we are trying to put a HOMM strategic layer in? Why Owlcat, why? Stick to the devil you know instead of summoning armies of unfamiliar devils to jack up your game...

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Do one thing really well instead of wasting dev. time, resources, etc. on a bunch of extraneous crap attempting to please all people. There was a very solid tactical combat system married to a deep RPG with good storytelling. Stop there! Even that is an accomplishment in the decline of 2020. Why the need to once again add more?

I turned Kingdom off very shortly into the game realizing that it was a half-baked useless system. Now we are trying to put a HOMM strategic layer in? Why Owlcat, why? Stick to the devil you know instead of summoning armies of unfamiliar devils to jack up your game...
Because Kickstarter sucks big balls and we can't have nice things:

M2sRBuj.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Prepare your asses for a hot take - Heroes is not a complicated game series. It's not, because certain design decisions preclude it from being such (mostly how retaliation and the grid work in all the games but Heroes 4) and I doubt they are going to go outside of that mould for it to present a balancing challenge. That's why I think it's not going to take away too many resources. They are going to use the models and animations already in-game. With that said, I also would've preferred them focusing only on the RPG part, but c'est la Kickstarter vie.

Last edited:

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Well, ran into my first gamebreaking bug in the Alpha, I think there was a new patch today so that's probably what broke it.
My MC and Seelah are the only characters that had this issue, but their level-up skill points are too low. I can't level Seelah up because she has "-1" skill point, and I can't drop any of her skills by 1, so I can't level her up.
Pretty fucking annoying.
Anyone else encounter this?

Ghulgothas

Arcane
The balance and challenge of a strategy sim seems like it would be easier to break with min-maxed bruteforce and savescum abuse than kingdom management ever was.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Even nowadays Heroes of Might and Magic III are extremely popular in the former Soviet countries. Mostly in Slavic and Central Asian republics. There are online tournaments even now; also, there is strong Chinese community.

Surely, one needs to speak proper languages instead of degenerative English to get into the flow. So I, for one, praise and admire the Owlcat's decision to bring good old nostalgia into Pathfinder. It's just not for you, Westerners.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Even nowadays Heroes of Might and Magic III are extremely popular in the former Soviet countries. Mostly in Slavic and Central Asian republics. There are online tournaments even now; also, there is strong Chinese community.

Surely, one needs to speak proper languages instead of degenerative English to get into the flow. So I, for one, praise and admire the Owlcat's decision to bring good old nostalgia into Pathfinder. It's just not for you, Westerners.
Yeah, the Western world fucking despises HoMM. To us, it's worse than space AIDS, COVID-19, and world hunger.

Lacrymas

Arcane

I am a Slav and I kinda don't get it. Heroes is fine, don't get me wrong, but its overwhelming popularity (especially 3 of all of them) within the Slavic countries is a total mystery to me. It's just not that good of a game due to the aforementioned design decisions (and 3 is definitely not the best one even without taking into account 4). I have always been more partial to Age of Wonders and think Age of Wonders 3 is one of the best such games even though it suffers from the same problem of who attacks first being very important. I don't know, it's weird.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Im the only one who thinks the Crusade Stats is missing Intel as a stat ? True we are going to be infiltrating Demons but ferreting out spies in Crusade and in our backers, scouting, using intrigue to get blackmail for further crusade support ?

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
It was garbage tier and fairly indefensible
This is the aspect of the game that makes you feel like a ruler and not a hobomurderer. Which most of RPG protagonists are even on the latest levels of the game progression.

Correct. And there is a whole genre dedicated to that 'feel like the ruler' sim you are looking for, several, in fact. Crusader Kings, HOMM, Total War, etc. So why do a really crappy half-ass version of that instead of just make a strategy sim? Again your logic and some other people's here seem deeply flawed.

Classic RPGs -are- murderhobo simulators. The meme didn't arise from thin air. It is the genre, so I'll stick to my point that trying to put too many systems into a game usually ends up with games that are mediocre at many things and good at nothing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom