Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
No one (but me, haha) understands the concept of alignment as resource to gather and keep and not limitation to overcome. One needs to proof himself good and zealous to become an angel, and one needs to be evil and daring to become a swarm.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Alignments are ok because the vast majority of characters can be of various alignments. But "skill monkey who can cast (arcane?) spells" seems overly specific.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Alignments are ok because the vast majority of characters can be of various alignments. But "skill monkey who can cast (arcane?) spells" seems overly specific.

I mean you can be whatever class you want with whatever Mythic Paths.

Some class will be better at certain Mythic Path than the other, e.g. Lich is mostly designed with Arcane full caster in mind, but the game doesn't limit you to that. You can certainly be a Fighter/Cleric Lich, it just limit you from merging Spellbooks.

Aeon has Bane abilities that will be merged with INquisitor's should you be one. But it is available separately for other classes.

Barbarian/Bloodrager can merge Rage with demon, but you can be a demon with separate Demonic Rage if you are of other class. Most of Demon mythic abilities are about getting natural attacks/rage/smashing face so it won't make mechanical sense to be a Wizard Demon, but you certainly can with some adjustment (Wizard/Eldritch Knight for example)

Etc2.

Lacrymas

Arcane
But that kinda defeats the purpose, like I said. The only viable way to run a trickster is to be one specific build. What's the point then? I always assumed the paths are going to give options for at least a few character types. Maybe I want to be a Barbarian trickster. Those are dime-a-dozen in pagan mythologies (Loki for one). Giving the Barbarian rage to other classes is a good example actually. It allows many classes to benefit.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Over-specialization as an assumed basis works against Pathfinder's cornucopia of options imo.

Vatnik Wumao
Over-specialization as an assumed basis works against Pathfinder's cornucopia of options imo.
Only from a Sawyerite perspective of balance. You can still play a less efficient mythic path & class combo if you so desire.

Race impact on stats also limits class synergies, but no one is stopping you from playing, say, a Dwarven Paladin (as I have in the previous game for the glory of Torag).

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Ehhh it depends how you look at it and how its implemented. Lich working decently with many builds but working best with arcane casters is different than Lich only being valuable with arcane casters, some degree of optimasation and synergy should be there. Am not playing the Alpha so am only discussing this as a general principl.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
But that kinda defeats the purpose, like I said. The only viable way to run a trickster is to be one specific build. What's the point then? I always assumed the paths are going to give options for at least a few character types. Maybe I want to be a Barbarian trickster. Those are dime-a-dozen in pagan mythologies (Loki for one). Giving the Barbarian rage to other classes is a good example actually. It allows many classes to benefit.

I am not sure how to answer this tbh. Currently I am playing an Aeon Kineticist. I simply don't take increased range infusion so I will be mid range and can activate my Aeon abilities (which is usually have AoE effect around you so using increased range infusion kinda deat the purpose). I can have Water Blast with Aeon Bane feature and smash Demon faces. My Gaze still causes enemy demon to lose Save and DR (and give Save and DR to my allies). I just don't get to merge that 1 Mythic Class Feature (Aeon Bane) with Inquisitor Bane. Spell book for Aeon is still not in Alpha but I will be able to cast Spells (with different CL calculation as per my post before).

People in Discord has been playing Angel with varrying class even tho the Classs is designed around Paladin.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I wouldn't say this is about balance. More like giving more viable options without thinking you are purposefully gimping yourself to play what you want. It's inevitable that an RPG would have more synergistic options for certain builds, but purposefully going for that with a system designed to "go over" the standard one seems iffy at best.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
More like giving more viable options without thinking you are purposefully gimping yourself to play what you want. It's inevitable that an RPG would have more synergistic options for certain builds.
This is what it is. Any Mythic path can be played with a range of classes.
Trickster will feel like they synergize best with a skill-monkey caster build but you will still get benefit from the path regardless of your class. A Bard or Arcane Trickster will get more out of it.
There are also generic Mythic abilities and feats available to everyone on every path that are very powerful, you can always focus on those instead and still end up with a viable character.
Plus, you can always
take one of the offshoot Mythics later on like Dragon, Devil, or Legend.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
May be DM's beat tabletoppers for optimized builds?

Relax, it's a single-player game. There is no one in your room to smack you in the head for class and Mythic synergy. I promise.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
>"Mythics can be played by all classes but some classes additionally excell at some Mythics"
>"B-b-buuut I want every class to excell EQUALLY.TM with every mythic!!!!"
>"That wouldn't make any sense, but don't worry any class+mythic combo is perfectly viable, it's just that some are more natural mix and thus stronger"
>"Stoopid! Unequal! Fascistic game design!"

It's jealousy or autism. No third explanation

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I wouldn't say this is about balance. More like giving more viable options without thinking you are purposefully gimping yourself to play what you want. It's inevitable that an RPG would have more synergistic options for certain builds, but purposefully going for that with a system designed to "go over" the standard one seems iffy at best.

I guess I can understand your concern. "OMG I NEED TO PLAY BARBARIAN OR BLOODRAGER FOR DEMON PATH TO GET 100% EFFICIENCY"

But really that's kinda inner munchkin speaking right? People make "flavor" build all the time without being 100% optimized. And the way I am approaching the Mythic Path is mostly content(narrative C&C) first and mechanic second so it doesn't really bother me (and I guess a lot of people) that much. When you want to go power gaming munchkin then you can concern yourself with an optimized build as you would even without Mythic Levels.

And I am pretty sure Desiderius will somehow make a build where Barbarian Trickster being the strongest combination or something disregarding how Trickster is designed.

Sarathiour

Cipher
And I am pretty sure Desiderius will somehow make a build where Barbarian Trickster being the strongest combination or something disregarding how Trickster is designed.

The ability to roll 20 on all dice roll alone will make for some incredibly autistic build.

Anyway, mythic path is designed to make OP munchkin build. Gimping yourself might be the best way to play the game.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
I have a question to those familiar with mounted combat, If make a cavalier multiclassed with a ranger(with animal companion thatll be the mount) will the animal companion scale off both class levels?

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I have a question to those familiar with mounted combat, If make a cavalier multiclassed with a ranger(with animal companion thatll be the mount) will the animal companion scale off both class levels?
It should, they are both based off of the Druid companion rules (note that your Ranger levels will probably still be "Druid -3" equivalent while your Cavalier levels should be "Druid" equivalent, for your pet's progression).

BarbequeMasta

Learned
That's cool, It seems mounts fit pretty well with current system, should lead to a lot of intresting cool builds, am making one of the companions into a Ranged cavalry with a mount that attacks in my first playthrough, if its possible anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom