Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
the idea that fantasy games must have "period appropriate music" is one of the dumbest things I've read on this site in a long time
That's only because you never read other people's posts, rusty. You just skim through the first line and then write a witty response.
At least in this instance, apparently that's what he did.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
In both cases it is a baggage you associate, a preference. There is nothing specifically "medieval fantasy" about violins and piano, neither instruments are period appropriate. It's exactly same case when piano and violins were and are used to evoke a "medieval fantasy" emotion as these synth sounds are used. Selection is completely arbitrary, and association is only retroactive and overall an illusion. I like that vermintide theme because it conveys a very particular and befitting emotion, one that evokes varying levels of chaos, disorder, panic and discordance, that it doesn't use violins and piano to do so to be medieval means little when the question asked is if it does a theme. The answer is yes, it very clearly has an appropriate theme.

It's also a bit odd to consider that Korsakov's string instruments can evoke the emotions of medieval middle-east fantasy that 1001 nights is supposed to be, but modern synth sounds cannot evoke the emotions of medieval European fantasy isn't it?
You keep trying to draw a line between a historical period and the music instruments used. I said Symphonic orchestra because the orchestra is rich in the range of emotions it can show. It's used in fantasy themed music and for WW2-themed for example, it's not associated with any period.

Then I don't understand your criticisms of vermintide music I posted. Both of them clearly have a theme and represent it well. As for the wrathfinder ones, they are somewhat generic but also clearly have themes.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Then I don't understand your criticisms of vermintide music I posted. Both of them clearly have a theme and represent it well.
I just hear noise.

As for the wrathfinder ones, they are somewhat generic but also clearly have themes.
I already showed what I mean by "theme", since I lack the language to explain it, and these don't have it.

Then I don't understand your criticisms of vermintide music I posted.
I said that the Symphonic orchestra is disconnected from any "period", not that the synthesizer is.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
There were a reach goal on WotR Kickstarter for Symphonic Orchestra, so I guess we all would have a chance to compare how much better those themes will sound when recorded as "proper" music.

AwesomeButton

Patron

AwesomeButton

Patron
There were a reach goal on WotR Kickstarter for Symphonic Orchestra, so I guess we all would have a chance to compare how much better those themes will sound when recorded as "proper" music.
I hope so, didn't know about the sprint goal, that's good news. I was afraid that was the final music.

I do remember PoE Deadfire where the orchestra sounded like it's actually synthesizer, but I think that was simply Justin Bell's orchestration :lol:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Tutorial dungeon wasn't very impressive. The layout is fine and it seems to have some cool rooms with cool furniture, and some secret treasures, but there is a feeling that something is missing. For the whole big dungeon, after mongrels and before Irabeth, there wasn't any dialogue; the onhit uhit items developers are now overly obsessed with have no unique descriptions or grafix. Some setups look fine - a broken cage with a lizard, a water elemental, but they just stand there, don't ambush, don't have anything but some damage and AC. Like, you can't tame a lizard, or dispel elemental, that sort of thing. There is a room that looks like obvious torture room, but it has same kambions cultists or whatsnot. It all just lacks that extra story element, a designers touch.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I've just finished Lost Chapel (penultimate of Chapter 2) on Hard. On Alpha I played Core, ooh boy Hard is Haaard.

Rerolled my Kitsune Sensei to Oread Sensei because natural attack with a dex build is kinda expensive feat wise. Will probably play martial Kitsune on some other dex build.

Honestly I feel that I don't even suppose to be able to finish that Lost Chapel final fight because I am essentially exploiting Sensei Ki Power to give True Strike to ranged touch spellcaster while Lann (Zen Archer) also use his True Strike + Extra attack just to be able to hit the boss. The boss has something like 37 AC I think with your party at Level 7. The only full BAB class I brought was my Sensei, that Zen Archer, and Reggil. But Reggil is fighting defensively without Crane feat so he ain't hitting shit (need to roll 17 or higher after enemy AC reduction due to fankling and Evil Eye Hex).

I dread my playthrough where I take Wenduag on end of Prologue and without Sensei/Bard. Without Bard's song + True Strike, I was probably toast that fight. I guess I can build around some other guy to exploit the shit out of touch AC to compensate but oh man.

Well that’s exactly what we want out of gateway fights (in contrast to Deadfire which wussed out on those). They’re the ones that make you go back to the drawing board and explore some neglected abilities to really learn your class.

Should be lvl eight by that fight so your Magic Weapon, Greater ticks up to +2 for everyone. Also a good time to take a second look at Mythic abilities. He’s an Inquisitor so does he even have Uncanny Dodge?

Probably also a good idea to plan your builds/party with such encounters in mind since they are the difficulty bottleneck.

There’s an “optional” encounter or two on that map that will really test your skill as well.

Bara

Arcane
An RTS DnD game?! Give this man a million dollars. He has an idea worth investing in!

There was one Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance the only game ever in the Birthright setting though its not entirely true RTS as you have a timer on giving units comands like Final Fantasy 6. Don't know how well it actually plays though as I never tried but I heard its buggy.

It's got its fans though

Desiderius

Patron
This for example, clearly communicates an emotion and a space. It doesn't sound what you expect of "medieval fantasy" (I.E an imitation of Romantic music or sometimes Baroque music). Yet there is clearly a theme there.
I'm only half-joking but if I make all these concessions, why not substitute all of Vermintide's music for Quake II soundtrack? The genre is the same anyway :)

In both cases it is a baggage you associate, a preference. There is nothing specifically "medieval fantasy" about violins and piano, neither instruments are period appropriate. It's exactly same case when piano and violins were and are used to evoke a "medieval fantasy" emotion as these synth sounds are used. Selection is completely arbitrary, and association is only retroactive and overall an illusion. I like that vermintide theme because it conveys a very particular and befitting emotion, one that evokes varying levels of chaos, disorder, panic and discordance, that it doesn't use violins and piano to do so to be medieval means little when the question asked is if it does a theme. The answer is yes, it very clearly has an appropriate theme.

It's also a bit odd to consider that Korsakov's string instruments can evoke the emotions of medieval middle-east fantasy that 1001 nights is supposed to be, but modern synth sounds cannot evoke the emotions of medieval European fantasy isn't it?

Modernists are supposed to give fuck all about the past anyway. That’s why trads hate it. If one part of the past evokes another what of it? It’s about appreciating it all and how it’s of a piece with the present not cut off like a tranzi’s balls.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
An RTS DnD game?! Give this man a million dollars. He has an idea worth investing in!

There was one Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance the only game ever in the Birthright setting though its not entirely true RTS as you have a timer on giving units comands like Final Fantasy 6. Don't know how well it actually plays though as I never tried but I heard its buggy.

It's got its fans though

Did someone say "DnD RTS"?

Dungeons_&_Dragons_-_Dragonshard_Coverart.png

Desiderius

Patron
The changes aren’t insanely stupid.
*adopts a system that designs encounters around challenge rating*
*gives every single enemy, regardless of party size, a flat amount of stats that amount to several levels worth plus in some cases class levels to boot*
Don't see how this will cause any problems. BTW the barbarian party member has a 30% chance of hitting enemies.

Do people saying this shit not know that all the rest of us know what idiots they are now?

Amiri level 2.jpg

I hate to keep posting this picture but evidently some people didn't get the memo. This is that Barbarian, on Unfair difficulty at level two with a, checks calculator, 80% chance of hitting the enemy. Not 30%. All I had to do was, wait for it, use the abilities the class comes with. Didn't even get to debuff this enemy.

We get it. Your DM was your mom. The rest of us got gud and figured out you butthurt PnP clowns were completely blowing smoke.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
22 dex, 20 int, +10 starting initiative

but why wouldn't he shut uuuuuup :dealwithit:

funny how game "evolved" from BG1 (lots of boring minilocations) to BG2/Mask of Betrayer (Athkatla and a complete random circus of companions)

Desiderius

Patron
The more you play the game the more you realize that Eldritch Scoundrel is just the absolute perfect class. He owns everything with that Bookworm headpiece. Kind of glad he has that annoying portrait now so that I can just play something else.

Woljif tank.jpg

Wolj10vsdragon.jpg

Wolj10owning MassiveDemon.jpg

Just have to watch out for this shit:

WoljDisarmedReflex.jpg

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane
I shant pre-order....I won't play unfinished product.....I shant pre-order....I won't play unfinished product.....I shant pre-order....I won't play unfinished product.....I shant pre-order....I won't play unfinished product.....I shant pre-order....I won't play unfinished product.....I shant pre-order....I won't play unfinished product.....I shant pre-order....I won't play unfinished product.....I shant pre-order....I won't play unfinished product.....I shant pre-order....I won't play unfinished product.....
:shredder:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom