Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
the idea that fantasy games must have "period appropriate music" is one of the dumbest things I've read on this site in a long time

Even Sawyer isn't as historically autistic to try it.

I think it's a great idea. Hope he does.

Reformed Protestant congregations literally blew windows out of their churches like a Maiden concert.

Period music done faithfully is sublime.

Thonius

Arcane
Can you use classical music as it is? There are a gazillion of compositions and your average gamer knows like 3 tops. 1) Ta da da daaaa 2) Vivaldi 3) Fuge

Delterius

Arcane
I just hear noise.
yes, because you suffer from autism
You seem to be the one here who is suffering. :lol:
I'm not the one who listens to a song and "just hear noise"
I don't suffer from listening to noises, nor am I listening to that "song" any more. You?
both of you are wrong

hearing voices isn't autism

Vatnik Wumao
I just hear noise.
I don't suffer from listening to noises, nor am I listening to that "song" any more. You?
both of you are wrong

t.
iu

Delterius

Arcane
I just hear noise.
both of you are wrong

t.
iu
i meant that its just called hearing

yall love jumping to conclusions

Sjukob

Arcane
I've just finished Lost Chapel (penultimate of Chapter 2) on Hard. On Alpha I played Core, ooh boy Hard is Haaard.

Rerolled my Kitsune Sensei to Oread Sensei because natural attack with a dex build is kinda expensive feat wise. Will probably play martial Kitsune on some other dex build.

Honestly I feel that I don't even suppose to be able to finish that Lost Chapel final fight because I am essentially exploiting Sensei Ki Power to give True Strike to ranged touch spellcaster while Lann (Zen Archer) also use his True Strike + Extra attack just to be able to hit the boss. The boss has something like 37 AC I think with your party at Level 7. The only full BAB class I brought was my Sensei, that Zen Archer, and Reggil. But Reggil is fighting defensively without Crane feat so he ain't hitting shit (need to roll 17 or higher after enemy AC reduction due to fankling and Evil Eye Hex).

I dread my playthrough where I take Wenduag on end of Prologue and without Sensei/Bard. Without Bard's song + True Strike, I was probably toast that fight. I guess I can build around some other guy to exploit the shit out of touch AC to compensate but oh man.
How did you kill golem in Varnhold's Lot that guards Lion's Claw? It's basically the same thing, but with magic immunity and DR15/adamantine. I used grenadier with acid bomb to melt the thing in 2 rounds, Desiderius called me a noob for not stacking bane with true strike or something.

Last edited:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I don't even keep the music on, ruins my immersion. You're walking through the forest, what do you expect to hear?
1. Wind blowing leaves
2. The occasional bird
3. An orchestra?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
How did you kill golem in Varnhold's Lot that guards Lion's Claw? It's basically the same thing, but with magic immunity and DR15/adamantine. I used grenadier with acid bomb to melt the thing in 2 rounds, Desiderius called me a noob for not stacking bane with true strike or something.

been a long time since I played Varnhold. I think I made Maegar a Freebooter? And then I mostly use magic as well to kill the guy. Besides Caephal I also had Sword Saint with Corrosive Touch I think?

Desiderius

Patron
Desiderius called me a noob for not stacking bane with true strike or something.

You don't need True Strike. You just need to use the abilities of the Companions you're given instead of assuming they suck like every other game. Bane = Freebooter's Bane. They give you a Freebooter companion. You don't need to Make Varn one, he's fine as is.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Desiderius do you think dex-dodge builds will still outclass STR-armour builds in terms of survivability in this game too? In first game it was partially because how easy it was to access AC bracers and such.

I am debating whether I'll make my inquisitor STR or DEX, logically, DEX is supposed to be more squishy but in the first game that was only true very early on and as soon as you got some bracers, plus stacked a few feats you had as much AC as Valeria with tower shield with none of the vulnerability to touch.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Can you use classical music as it is? There are a gazillion of compositions and your average gamer knows like 3 tops. 1) Ta da da daaaa 2) Vivaldi 3) Fuge
Judge for yourself.

Here are some combat themes I wanted to make into a mod:
Béla Bartók - String Quartet No. 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8TcrMFFqJg
Shostakovich - Symphony No. 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC-pqRMasPQ
Igor Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr-wKqy5HnU
Dvorak - Symphony No. 9 "From the New World" - 3rd movement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pLIBWyFBIg (The initial 3 minutes are what I want as combat music, of better - from 5:50 to the end of the video)
Russian Sailor's Dance by Reinhold Gliere - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJgZ-GiPlvM (this is probably too famous)

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Just imitating Russian romantics or putting the symphonies directly into the game doesn't make for good music nor thematic music. For one it will lack any sort of unique association because such music already has been composed with a theme in mind and has all the baggage in the world. The better way would be to of course have semi-competent (not even exceptional) composers.

Here is examples of two fairly basic composition that nevertheless represents a theme and an emotion very well because they actually hired professionals:

Desiderius

Patron
Rapier shots:

Rapier shot.jpg

A little dark but you can see the nice thrust running the Demon through. A little hard to see the blade but nice pommel or whatever.

mount mobility.jpg

Now that you can level up your pet it's easier to use for skill checks.

DR without Freedom Ray.jpg

Pet (i.e. Paladin mount currently Smilo only option, can be played like regular animal companion) has DR issues fighting Demon in early game. One solution is first Azata ability Freedom Ray thingie.

DR bypass Freedom Ray.jpg

MC's been loading it up on Smilo and Lann since they have a lot of attax. Also adds 2d6 Holy. Tough roll here.

Protective Luck early.jpg

You can see the effect of Protective Luck Hex here. You throw it on whatever's in the most danger and it really does the job. Everything that attax them has to reroll for at least a round. Eventually you extend it with Cackle though it gets a second round already at level 8.

fortune hex.jpg

If nothing's in danger flip it around and put Fortune on your best attacker. Reroll every attack for at least a round. This is solid action economy for Ember already and it just gets better from there.

Slumber Hex.jpg

Or if you need a mez/trip you can use Slumber. 20 DC at level six with Eagle's Splendor and the Amulet Horgus gives you. All Hexes bypass SR as well.

Seelah Dazzling.jpg

Seelah on Dazzling Duty. Not as easy to get it sky high as with Dirge Bard but Paladin gets there. Mythic Dazzling lets you change it to Standard or Move action later.

new loot.jpg

A new item in a new area helps her get there.

aura of greater courage.jpg

Another nice reward for staying pure Paladin.

lvl six mount tanking.jpg

And her pet just got +8 STR and gained a size shortly after this fight. You can see Nenio running in to put Displacement on Seelah as those lvl 14 Possessed Smilos were tearing her up.
pathfinding general.jpg

This is the general you want. Pathfinding is busted.

ki arrows.jpg

Lann doesn't have to worry about DR anymore. More rewards for staying single class. You can see him picking up Snap Shot to go with the Combat Reflexes he starts with.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just imitating Russian romantics or putting the symphonies directly into the game doesn't make for good music nor thematic music. For one it will lack any sort of unique association because such music already has been composed with a theme in mind and has all the baggage in the world. The better way would be to of course have semi-competent (not even exceptional) composers.
I don't mean to say that using classical music directly into the game is the best. I was considering these to replace Deadfire's combat themes which I thoroughly disliked, and I would much rather listen to that music. I agree with you on it not being original music being a drawback, but since I was doing it for a mod, it would have been a matter of choice.

Still, they are good themes. I agree the best of all worlds would be to have themes that are both original and good at the same time.

Desiderius

Patron
Kaner I blew up the Rapier shot. Will eventually have some better ones once I get the good Rapier at Wintersun will probably but Daeran on it.

FreeKaner

Kaner I blew up the Rapier shot. Will eventually have some better ones once I get the good Rapier at Wintersun will probably but Daeran on it.

It's fine it is good enough. I like the animations and the hilt but tbh game devs consistently get the fact that rapiers are supposed to be longer weapons wrong. In fact of all the RPGs I can think of only deadfire got this right, probably on the account of Sawyer being a weapons autist. Probably too late to complain to devs to make the blade length roughly 50% longer.

Desiderius

Patron
Desiderius do you think dex-dodge builds will still outclass STR-armour builds in terms of survivability in this game too? In first game it was partially because how easy it was to access AC bracers and such.

I am debating whether I'll make my inquisitor STR or DEX, logically, DEX is supposed to be more squishy but in the first game that was only true very early on and as soon as you got some bracers, plus stacked a few feats you had as much AC as Valeria with tower shield with none of the vulnerability to touch.

Touch AC was a meme. There wasn't much of it, It never did much damage even when it hit you, and there were other ways to prevent the effects (Hap says Rogue Ghost Sneaks maybe? Narrow, late case). I would always choose STR-based to save on Feats and there's already a lot of DEX melee among the companions. I'm only taking Daeran that way because he starts with 7 STR an even I'm not insane enough to go STR-based with that.

You've got Effortless armor as an Inquisitor to help offset some of the downside of Medium and don't have access to Mythic Mage Armor like Wolj does so the going naked thing probably isn't happening. They added an equipment slot so you can now wear clothing and Armor at the same time. Should be fine with Medium and Shield or Two-hander with Reach as long as you keep your buffs up.

Desiderius

Patron

It's fine it is good enough. I like the animations and the hilt but tbh game devs consistently get the fact that rapiers are supposed to be longer weapons wrong. In fact of all the RPGs I can think of only deadfire got this right, probably on the account of Sawyer being a weapons autist. Probably too late to complain to devs to make the blade length roughly 50% longer.

Certainly worth a try. I'm not a fan of the streams but evidently they're interactive. If that fails I always enjoy the Dueling Sword aesthetics and now you can get proficiency via Background. Good idea for Inq since you lack Martial Proficiency. You'd even need to pick up Rapier Prof that way, although I think you get Longsword for free.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Lann doesn't have to worry about DR anymore. More rewards for staying single class. You can see him picking up Snap Shot to go with the Combat Reflexes he starts with.

Wonder what's the most optimum way to use Snap Shot.

Until you get Teamwork Feats that utilize AoO (Outflank, Seize the Momment) I think the best way to use it is just to use Ki Power DImension Door to enemy backline caster/ranged attacker to trigger AoO everytime they shoot/cast?

Later level when you have Outflank and Seize the Momment you can just park him on near melee rank I guess. Being Zen Archer has him have decent AC which can be helped more with Mage Armor/good Bracelet of Armor. If you have Alchemist you can slap Shield infusion on him as well.

Desiderius

Patron
It’s going to be fun to figure out. I had him as a Drovier (+ CMB Aura) riding his Wolf Pet. That takes care of how you get him to melee and theoretically Wolf generates AoOs.

There’s a lot of CMB gear midgame. Wish he could Charge with Bow. He doesn’t actually Flank even with Snap Shot.

Dodo1610

Arcane
That was just her placeholder they just used one of the PC potraits like most companions during alpha. She even has 2 unique portraits one for her true fox form and one for her human form.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
everyone 20202020 stats
Ember normal stats
-4 to hit with all weapons, 2 feats for weapons

Owlcats u only make my dice harder

Why is her Slumber affecting mind immune creatures? by PNP it should be normal Sleep.

Game greatly overuses particle effects and shaders(?) (fire fog heat etc.) which with 3d camera nukes FPS at places. Previous game ran flawlessly for me.

Last edited:

kain30

Cipher
Now that the game is in beta and lots of you are sharing screenshots... Can anyone share a world map screenshot, please? I'm craving for one!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom