Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Misfortune and Reflex Bombs find use right away.
Minotaur Warlord.jpg

These wandering monsters do not mess around. Eight attax m'kay. Not like this guy's Reflex save is much better than his Fortitude.

MC10BombDC.jpg

How about going from eight attax to one? Seems fair. Stagger FTW. Actually ended up being zero. I think Magical Weapon, Greater stacking is just powering through all the DR.

Taking Seelah off the Enlarge plan to help with tanking really hurting her damage. That and the Keen Scimitar not critting much yet. Tiger just picked up Outflank after ticking up his INT from 2 to 3 at level eight.

First Trap.jpg

Another chance to flex the skills. With careful exploration this trap room can be defanged.

Trap Room.jpg

Turning off the big trap in the room takes Lore (Religion).

Second Trap.jpg

The second one Knowledge (Arcana). Nice diversity of checks.

BigProphet.jpg

Jeebus these wandering patrols just keep getting bigger and bigger. He's also casting a Flame Strike. 12th level Divine Power is +4/+4.

FirstBite.jpg

Prophet was buffing while we were fighting this guy. Love it when a plan comes together. Without Misfortune that Bomb doesn't knock him over, ensuring his death (-4 AC from Prone plus AoOs from standing is doom). Looking like will need to lead with Evil Eye to debuff Saves to make sure Misfortune does something. Eye works even on failed save, Misfortune doesn't.

This is Nenio's first Bite of the game. She's still holding a XBow. Inauspicious start.

DeadEmber.jpg

This time Minotaur charging the back line gets there. Looks like I forgot to turn off Death's Door from Balor redo. Total mistake I promise! Poor planning in this fight - no reason for Ember not to throw out some chaff to gum things up. This is room where the traps were I disarmed and still got owned. Is that the Sword of Valor hanging there or another trap?

Seduction.jpg

Here's your Stockholm Syndrome Rus.

Yaniel shows up again sounding somewhat less like one might expect, but she makes a good point. Less than conquerors Good (sic) option here. I chose number three and Nenio with an apt follow up. That pit there? Has a Ghoul or fifty in it, and not for long.

Cluster.jpg

And a couple Nabasu I forgot about so they drained a few levels from people. I think that's Lan's first triple digit hit getting covered up there. My plan was to drop some maximized Pillars of Life on all these ghoul clusters but yeah it's a new spell so fucked up beyond belief.

Ghoul Treasure.jpg

Your reward for weathering infinite Ghouls and some Nabasu is what's really a decent Tower Shield if you've gotten annoyed by the Vermilek and Cultist Negative Energy attax. No reason this couldn't have been available in Gray Garrison though as hard as it is to use a Tower Shield productively.

Puzzle Boss.jpg
When you solve this puzzle these guys pop out. I gave up first time (you can brute force your way through without solving it.) and felt like I lucked out last time but lucked out again same way this time. Just got northeast symbol done and I guess other two take care of themselves. You can see buffs running out and the effect here.

Desiderius

Patron
You can see he was carving up the MC pretty good when the Fear from Sos's Glaive saved him. Almost there.

Setting up Misfortune.jpg

Evil Eye - Saving Throws setting up the Misfortune this time. Would have been great to help the Stagger get there (Stagger + Fear = very nice) but whiffed the attack.

You can see that I'm still really underutilizing Nenio but taking Precise Shot at 9 delayed being able to get the Spell Pen to do much on fights like this.

MisfortuneOnDebuff.jpg

And it still doesn't get there. I'm worried about that Evil Eye only being -2 should be -4 unless I'm missing something. Ember can cast six dogs as a Swift action so you'll see those running around distracting the bad guys. Next level those will upgrade to Wolves and start doing some damage. As a regular cast can already do Monitor Lizards and will be Dire Wolves.

SosvsDogs.jpg

Sosiel tries his first of many Holy Smites, forgets to maximize it with the Rod of Mysticism and kills some dogs. Already has Spell Focus Evocation, will boost with Mythic version soon (Archon's also Evo). Not worrying about Spell Pen since it's AoE. Getting tired but determined to get to Mythic.

Valor Treasure.jpg

This is the real Sword of Valor. The weapon in the chest is boring but effective, though you can get an upgrade on that effect with Crusader's Edge on a decent Weapon. Still cash money.

ValorAmbush.jpg

The equivalent of another adventuring party wanders in, but we have LGBTQQI+ power and they do not, so they're easily dispatched, even though that guy in the hall has a DC 23 Icy Prison about to blow.

Lann Improved Crit.jpg

Lann's Improved Crit shows up for the first of many times to come.

Nenio.jpg

And we're finally there. Areelu says her piece and it's time to pick a Mythic.

Mythic Interfce.jpg

You're less locked in than Alpha, and this interface presents your choices much more clearly. Good work. Angel looks like it might be a little better than I thought and worth a Cavalier or Crusader playthrough I think. Demon won't embarrass you either. But we're going Azata since I'm not a Bard and Azata gives you songs. Note to self: Trickster for Bard playthrough, not Azata.

SwordofValor.jpg

I don't remember this effect from Alpha. Is it permanent for Drezen and surrounding area?

Good Offhander at top of tower.jpg
Easy to miss in the excitement - up two flights of stairs on the roof of the tower. This is and outstanding off hander as long as you're debuffing saves. Bludgeoning even comes into play here and there.

Desiderius

Patron
Well I just hope Gregz sees it. Zen Archer is his favorite class and this is just basically Lann autoleveled.

Even Gregz couldn't fuck that up.

The character building and leveling was never an issue, it was everything else. Owlcat are hacks.

You complained a lot about how inflated everything was but I'm playing on Core now which is straight out of PnP and your Zen Archer is going off.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I am impressed by how Owlcat managed to make every Mythic I've seen useful for all kinds of classes while keeping each Mythic's theme distinct and avoiding duplicating abilities. Just comparing them to Paizo's mythics makes it clear they're like night and day.

And you're nearing the point up to which I'd read the original path, Desiderius. I only have the vaguest notion of what happens next, but I can already tell I'm going to have fun writing the inevitable comparison post.

Alrik

Educated
Does this game actually simulate dice or does it use a flat probability curve for every range?
It's "random", there are no softeners. Can roll 1 three times etc.
Maybe I should've been more clear, I'm talking about XdY rolls not consecutive 1d20 rolls.

I've not gotten too far into the game yet, but I've only cast Burning Hands at caster level 3 at most 6-8 times and I've gotten damage rolls of 3 and 4. If it's actually 3d4 these are 1.56% and 4.68% outcomes which makes it extremely unlikely to happen, whereas if the game does a flat probability of 3-12 it is well within the realm of expected outcomes.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Claws of Beast is +1 enhancement or something, and 2d6 is extra slashing damage, not base damage.

Salvo

Arcane
Desiderius So is core difficulty actually challenging? Have you tried unfair?

I can confirm that it's pretty fucking challenging, there's some big hurdles that you have to overcome and if you fuck up your build you WILL notice the difference. At the same time it's not as retarded as Unfair is, and you can comfortably use "normal" builds that do not rely on abusing the game's mechanics.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Oh right, breath of life is bugged and I think you can evade balor dispel easily by just standing behind; but for me the door then bugged and half party got forever stuck.

What got me later is balors exploding with Unholy damage.

Did you actually kill the Balor? Seriously he has highest numbers on Hard by a good bit but I don't think killing's on the menu in any case.
Nah.

I tried on a few bosses to lower difficulty and see if you can actually kill them too.
in particular I also wanted to see if enemy boss can kill NPCs and you can loot them :shittydog:..it doesn't work.

And this design honestly is kinda even worse than JRPGs: there if you "kill" "unkillable" bosses you at least get unique dialogue or achivo.

and then they repeat it with
Baphomet
and it seriously gets old :prosper:

want to make the PnPers feel at home
won't happen, especially due to what enemies they throw at you at your level and various "gotcha" moments.

I can say that I whole game felt underleveled 1 level until suddenly didn't. It is almost as they tried to stretch the gold 1-12 level adventure as much as possible before Ch 4. :philosoraptor:

I dont know whats so hard about altering dialogue or two and add some bonus reward, like if you lost then you lost, if you won then you still lose but boss was forced to go all out because the bug he wanted to squash turned out to be actually challangening opponent, Boom makes sense and still keeps the story. Like just have bigger monster have to interfere so in case of
Baphomet
Deskari has to intervene to save his ass.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Thing is previous game didn't even have to make mistakes like that. Tartuk for example was killable moment you meet him, it's just that later, when party doesn't see it, some force saves him. So at least similar moments were not as exaggerated.

Codex Year of the Donut
Thing is previous game didn't even have to make mistakes like that. Tartuk for example was killable moment you meet him, it's just that later, when party doesn't see it, some force saves him. So at least similar moments were not as exaggerated.
In before pages of apologists explaining why unkillable bosses is actually a good thing.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I don't care for whatever explanations. In a game based around killing things, jrpg unkillable bosses is nothing but a waste of players time.
So are cutscenes, and so is rotating camera.
And minigames. But at least now minigames are scattered through Chapters (u don't do management in 1, 2 is army only, 3 is both minigames, 4 is no minigames yay).

Alrik

Educated
In before pages of apologists explaining why unkillable bosses is actually a good thing.
Irenicus was killable in Spellhold before they patched it out, I disintegrated him on my first run of BG2. You got kill XP, but he was still alive and kicking in the Underdark immediately afterward.

Shadenuat

Arcane
You don't need to lose on purpose to Irenicus to progress plot in a fight; he's a runaway villain. Wrath features both of that.

Alrik

Educated
You don't need to lose on purpose to Irenicus to progress plot in a fight; he's a runaway villain. Wrath features both of that.
IIRC you game over if you lose that fight. But as you said the game intends you to get him down to an HP threshold and have him run away. However in the initial release they forgot to make him immune to at least some of the instakill spells.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'll trade every runaway villain scene for that one spell I wanted to try out which doesn't work.

Old games usually filled some of similar parts with cool (and skippable) cinematics. I'd watch
Baphomet walking out of portal like Avatar from old warhammer game and then sexy succubus demigoddess jumping on top of him with a dagger

I wonder if stuff like that
is too expensive to make nowadays :M

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
You can say it's Beta. P:K had backdoors (and even obscure rewards) for unintended winning of those fights.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Why bother? People would just whine. "Why can't I kill the Lady of Pain?" "Died in a cutscene, shit game" etc, etc.
If you would be forcibly to lolrush her, ie an overwhelming opponent multiple times because story requires so, without options to think on what are you doing, yes, and they would be right.

You can say it's Beta. P:K had backdoors (and even obscure rewards) for unintended winning of those fights.
I've been promised DOUBLE reactivity :shittydog:

Desiderius

Patron
Desiderius So is core difficulty actually challenging? Have you tried unfair?

There is no Unfair yet but Hard is probably harder than P:K Unfair without some of the cheese. I did it twice on Hard in Alpha but those were parties with access to at least Bard and one had a Freebooter too. This party (everyone just single-classing) could probably (and surprisingly) manage Hard but I'm committed to just demonstrating Core and as I hope you can see that's not just a walk in the park either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom