Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ghulgothas

Arcane
IIRC;
LG - Angel
NG - Golden Dragon
CG - Azata
LN - Aeon
TN - Legend
CN - Trickster
LE - Lich
NE - Swarm-That-Walks
CE - Demon

With minor wiggle-room. Liches can be any flavor of evil, Tricksters can jump between all 3 Chaotics and Legends can be whatever their Ubermensch philosophy allows etc.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've had a bit of an epiphany. Not a plethora like El Guapo in Three Amigos! I mean something that I've learned.

RPGs are too easy and Kingmaker gave me a kick in the ass I've needed for a long time. Its something between roleplaying and powergaming. I've just failed a baleful polymorph against a trap on a chest. Now if the whole game was rock, paper, shotgun like that it would be boring. But it isn't, and it provokes more powergaming than roleplaying. Because if you're roleplaying shit classes all the time (like the Ranger) then the game is too easy.

I also watched Justice League: Apokolips War recently and that made me think: RPGs need to provoke you by creating enemies that you absolutely want to destroy. I think BG2 managed that pretty well, but action RPGs like Shadow of Mordor were too tryhard. Kingmaker is more like you're fighting a natural disaster. Although I haven't finished it yet.

Point is - if you're fighting hordes of demons in WOTR, maybe it can take a page of inspiration from Apokolpis War. Demons need to be powerful, frightning, hateful, and make you recognize them as deserving total annihilation.

Just like that fucking chest that just turned my character into a wolf. Fortunately I had a remove curse scroll.
:shredder:

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
If we can <spoiler alert> one natural disaster, why can't we be friends with a horde of others? Or, even better - lead them?

P.S.: Actually, if rats win the race race I want to help the demons to win.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Demons need to be powerful, frightning, hateful, and make you recognize them as deserving total annihilation.
I'm getting that impression from them so far, the demons are really hateable and I want to Deus Vult them
:whiteknight:

I doubt that,modern writing lacks the dark shit,they can't write an evil entity to save their life. Most of them are evil just because muh the script said so. No more bridge tailors and cook-cooks,not that they were truly messed up,but at least were passable as evil guys.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Lawntoilet ahhh you give me a citation of a truly evil character written in the past decade!
In games or media in general?
In games, there's Marty from the Lisa games. The Crones from TW3 I would say are pretty evil, probably Whoreson Jr too. If you don't think they count please be more specific about what you consider "truly evil" though.

I doubt that,modern writing lacks the dark shit,they can't write an evil entity to save their life. Most of them are evil just because muh the script said so. No more bridge tailors and cook-cooks,not that they were truly messed up,but at least were passable as evil guys.
The demons at the abandoned chapel were doing some pretty depraved shit to their prisoners.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
In games, there's Marty from the Lisa games. The Crones from TW3 I would say are pretty evil, probably Whoreson Jr too. If you don't think they count please be more specific about what you consider "truly evil" though.
The problem with this citation is those writers are Poles, not Westerners.

So I think the statement "modern Western writing lacks the dark shit,they can't write an evil entity to save their life" is correct. It seems even Mr. Avellone needs Russians to give him creative freedom to make believable characters.

LabRat

Learned
I also watched Justice League: Apokolips War recently and that made me think: RPGs need to provoke you by creating enemies that you absolutely want to destroy. I think BG2 managed that pretty well, but action RPGs like Shadow of Mordor were too tryhard. Kingmaker is more like you're fighting a natural disaster. Although I haven't finished it yet.

Honestly, I think the ending just ruined the movie because they can create another flashpoint to reset everything.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
The problem with this citation is those writers are Poles, not Westerners.

So I think the statement "modern Western writing lacks the dark shit,they can't write an evil entity to save their life" is correct. It seems even Mr. Avellone needs Russians to give him creative freedom to make believable characters.
Lisa is written by an American studio, and "Western" was never mentioned anyway.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
FYI for anyone who was asking last week and hasn't figured out yet, yes the Alpha is still playable after the 21st.

Finished clearing the lost chapel last night, a couple more very tough fights. I'm in the library of the chapel now and trying to figure out how not to get my ass kicked in there, since I'm not planning to take the Mythic path that the boss offers you. He might just be beyond me at this point but I'll give it a couple more shots and see how I do, at least.

Despite my earlier defense of "don't rest when the game is pushing you to do something urgent" I had to rest as soon as possible during this mission, since apparently I hit the quest trigger while exhausted and the game doesn't give you a chance to long rest before heading to the chapel.

I've been consistently maintaining an LG alignment but I've got Azata options popping up in my Mythic feats. Does anyone know if this is just because I finished the Desna Priest quest? I feel like I should have to be acting more chaotic to go the Azata route.

The Azata stiff popped up for me but I didn't get Azata as an option later (I didn't finish Desna quest) so probably a bug. Extra Feat mythic ability was erroneously popping up Extra Mythic Feat menu, where the Azata stuff was.

Desiderius

Patron
Demons need to be powerful, frightning, hateful, and make you recognize them as deserving total annihilation.
I'm getting that impression from them so far, the demons are really hateable and I want to Deus Vult them
:whiteknight:

One of the strengths of Owlcat writing is depicting different flavors of Evil, even some of the Dark stuff like with Jaethal, in a sympathetic (which just means "suffering together" and doesn't imply approval) manner.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Lawntoilet ahhh you give me a citation of a truly evil character written in the past decade!

The demons at the abandoned chapel were doing some pretty depraved shit to their prisoners.
In anything really.

Have no idea what Lisa is. As for the crows,well they are evil but not nearly close to what a demon should be,same with whoreson. Still the witcher 3 is one of the best examples of good writing in the last 20is years.

Kingmaker on other hand was pretty easy going generic fantasy setting,nothing bad with it. Tho i do doubt that they will be writing the demons well enough to make people feel like their really embodiment of evil.

One of the strengths of Owlcat writing is depicting different flavors of Evil, even some of the Dark stuff like with Jaethal, in a sympathetic (which just means "suffering together" and doesn't imply approval) manner.
:hmmm:
LoL,sure it was flavour,and that was it pretty much. I don't remember a single thing you could do in the game,out side of force attacking people. It is not like you could make yourself a nice dungeon where you could rape and torture your companions or npcs,then use their skin as clothing material,or something similar.

Speaking of evil,it is fascinating how in this world there are a lot worst shit than what most of the writers can't even come up with. I remember reading some journal of a medieval torturer,it was a lot more darker than anything i have seen in a game or tv/film.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
In anything really.

Have no idea what Lisa is. As for the crows,well they are evil but not nearly close to what a demon should be,same with whoreson. Still the witcher 3 is one of the best examples of good writing in the last 20is years.

Kingmaker on other hand was pretty easy going generic fantasy setting,nothing bad with it. Tho i do doubt that they will be writing the demons well enough to make people feel like their really embodiment of evil.
Lisa is a post apocalyptic indie game, not really my cup of tea but Marty is
an abusive rapist and pedo and there are other terrible people in the game too.
The demons in WotR that I was fighting last night were
eating people alive, offering them the chance to save themselves and join the cult if they eat corpse or ghoul flesh, and hanging people alive on meat hooks.

Desiderius

Patron

In anything really.

:hmmm:
LoL,sure it was flavour,and that was it pretty much. I don't remember a single thing you could do in the game,out side of force attacking people. It is not like you could make yourself a nice dungeon where you could rape and torture your companions or npcs,then use their skin as clothing material,or something similar.

Speaking of evil,it is fascinating how in this world there are a lot worst shit than what most of the writers can't even come up with. I remember reading some journal of a medieval torturer,it was a lot more darker than anything i have seen in a game or tv/film.

You could help a companion sacrifice her own daughter to extend her life and power up, which is far beyond any of the petty cruelty in which you feel compelled to advertise an unseemly interest.

Desiderius

Patron
Nok-Nok nails the Banality of Evil, while Tsanna provides a compellingly moving account of what Evil looks like from the inside, how one falls into it, and the inexorable pull toward the Good even in its midst which is the Mark of our Maker.

LabRat

Learned
If the writer had some bad experiences with something, then maybe they could wrote good villain.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
In Pathfinder, you can find the following meaningful themes : good, evil, love, friendship, power, all of this in your video games. The video games have something to say if you hear their message very closely. It is the human experience, it is very deep, and should be recognized as such. Meaning, as we know it to be, is something that is beyond appearences, and so we must look for it in our video games. When we have found it, people will not believe, because they are overall pretty stupid - and we are not, because our lives are the receptacle of meaning. And so, all of this post, that you have read here, is quite meaningful. Is says what it has to say, every word is meaningful, and meaning is everywhere around you as you read it. It is Good, it is Beautiful, it is True. These words hold pure meaning, the themes of the video game. If you want to access this deeper truth about the game, you must look into it very hard, very very much, not like your limp dick, no, it must be quite hard.

Desiderius

Patron
In Pathfinder, you can find the following meaningful themes : good, evil, love, friendship, power, all of this in your video games. The video games have something to say if you hear their message very closely. It is the human experience, it is very deep, and should be recognized as such. Meaning, as we know it to be, is something that is beyond appearences, and so we must look for it in our video games. When we have found it, people will not believe, because they are overall pretty stupid - and we are not, because our lives are the receptacle of meaning. And so, all of this post, that you have read here, is quite meaningful. Is says what it has to say, every word is meaningful, and meaning is everywhere around you as you read it. It is Good, it is Beautiful, it is True. These words hold pure meaning, the themes of the video game. If you want to access this deeper truth about the game, you must look into it very hard, very very much, not like your limp dick, no, it must be quite hard.

This, unironically, except for the gnostic shit.

Main theme of game is mercy/redemption.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom