Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Ghulgothas

Arcane
A poem in five parts.

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

With the incoming EE I was thinking specifically of going Scaled Fist > Crossblooded > Dragon Disciple into Gold Dragon, but if there's no content added to the already indigent Gold Dragon path, and there's still a shitload of bugs or non-functionnal stuff remaining, well... at this point my enthusiasm has been pretty much dashed.
I hate to come of all Desi, but you'd probably be better off just going plain 20 Dragon Bloodline Sorcerer with second bloodline abyssal mythic. You'd get a strength boost, an AC boost, make to to CL 20 (which Gold Dragon's energy transfer for all spells to holy damage makes very good use of) and not nerf your casting. Your BAB would get to 15 + Mythic Rrank when you hit MR 9, so you don't have to worry about BAB either, and it retroactively sets your hit dice to d12, so hit points aren't a problem.

Alternatively, get to 19th level as sorcerer, then dip 1 level of scaled fist at level 20 if you want an AC boost for your dragon form.

I appreciate the counsel, but this time I intended to go more for the role part of roleplay rather than head full-steam into powergaming territory. With most companions in Wrath Of The Righteous being insufferable idiots, I kind of have to invent stuff in my head to make the story palatable.
Lol when we actually tried to make a Dragon Disciple that didn't suck we used Scaled Fist as the chassis and it was pretty damn good. You might end up powergaming despite yourself.

Dragon Disciple.jpg

(CotW P:K Depths)

Yosharian

Arcane
Redditors are such fucking mongoloids i swear

https://www.reddit.com/r/OwlcatGames/comments/xm59cz/comment/iq4zenn/

Regarding mythic charge, why is it useless, and what is required to make it work like in tabletop? A toggle where you can choose between the combat maneuvers? No AoO on fail? Technically Pounce should not work with charge if I understand RAW correctly? I like the ability actually. I like the utility and the immersive mechanics.

1) Doesn't know anything about how the ability works
2) Proclaims that he likes the ability because it's got 'utility' and it's 'immersive'
3) Starts whining about how pounce isn't supposed to work with mounted charge even though that wasn't the subject of the post and isn't relevant in any way
4) Somehow doesn't understand what is needed to make the ability function despite me explaining exactly what is wrong with it
5) Doesn't even get the name of the ability right

Just a fucking moron, exemplifies everything that's cancerous about this stupid website

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
I have no idea why this whining about charge & pounce has cropped up recently, I guess they succeeded in getting EB nerfed so they need a new thing to complain about. Fucking cunts

Stoned Ape

Savant
So, shielding tailwind is more powerful than it should be...

Shielding-Tailwind.jpg

Expectation: Gives +6 to hit when shield bashing.
Reality: After trying a shield bash once, you get a permanent +6 alchemical bonus to all attacks

Sasuga Owlcat :salute:

ArchAngel

Arcane
So, shielding tailwind is more powerful than it should be...

Shielding-Tailwind.jpg

Reality: After trying a shield bash once, you get a permanent +6 alchemical bonus to all attacks

Sasuga Owlcat :salute:
Nice find :D

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I had "Spellsword Tailwind" once that was supposed to give lvl of any cast spell as 1 min long buff with bonus to attack/damage. But it was
1) Never going away, until reload, stacking higher and higher
2) Were counting most of abilities, like Vital Strike or Dreadful Carnage as spells

So, at the time I've noticed, my Rowdy had +78 Attack and Damage, and until I canned that run I saw it going as far as +200 due to some interactions.
And I saw more reports like that starring other Tailwinds with complicated conditions on Reddit.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
I had "Spellsword Tailwind" once that was supposed to give lvl of any cast spell as 1 min long buff with bonus to attack/damage. But it was
1) Never going away, until reload, stacking higher and higher
2) Were counting most of abilities, like Vital Strike or Dreadful Carnage as spells

So, at the time I've noticed, my Rowdy had +78 Attack and Damage, and until I canned that run I saw it going as far as +200 due to some interactions.
And I saw more reports like that starring other Tailwinds with complicated conditions on Reddit.
Yes but did you know that pounce isn't supposed to work with charge RAW

Daidre

Arcane
I suspect in that particular case redditor tried to express his doubt about pounce working with the mounted charge, but lost his thought along the way and whole thing came out horribly wrong.

It is indeed a bit a murky in the RAW. Some say it should work just like that, some say you need Mounted Skirmisher for this. No Mounted Skirmisher in the game, but Owlcat slapped its functionality on everyone for free around 1.2 (free full attack after mount moved) and who knows if it is a bug or no.

Stoned Ape

Savant
what should my first character be when I start my first playthrough this weekend
I think you should decide which mythic path to choose and pick a class after that.

Aeon and Angel probably have the most rewarding narrative content out of the paths I've played, but demon is supposed to be excellent too (I'll be playing that path after EE drops).

Lich, Azata and Trickster all have some good moments and fun stuff to do.

Legend was a bit light on narrative, but makes up for it by being incredibly powerful and quick to unlock.

Gold Dragon's content is painfully bad and involves some of the most tedious fetch-quests in the game. It's not even particularly powerful after you spend most of act 5 running all over the world map to unlock it.

Legend, Angel, and Lich are exceptionally strong mechanically while Aeon is pretty weak, most of the others are somewhere in between.

Trickster is probably better for a martial, Azata is probably better for a caster, Demon can handle either depending upon which demonic aspects you choose (I've played it in DLC 3, but not in the main campaign).

I've not tried the hidden mythic path (that you can unlock via Azata or Aeon) or the Swarm path.

Daidre

Arcane
so @Daidre @Haplo @Desiderius, what should my first character be when I start my first playthrough this weekend
The character I had enjoyed the most from my recent runs, by a huge margin, was Demon Rowdy, who was Cleaving everything with Vital Strike after demonic Charge. I'd also rate a Demon as one of the best mythic paths for amount of content he gets, close tie with an Angel. If you are in the mood for vanilla good - can't go wrong with merged Priest/Oracle Angel. And for another, undead-flavored evil, Lich is pretty nice too.

Mythic Path choice, imho, is a much more important than a class.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
For mythic paths, I was initially thinking I'd go Aeon, Lich or Devil. The last one is what I really want to do, but is probably out of the question now that we know the EE probably won't really bring much new to it.

So Lich or Aeon it is.

As for build, I always play something fairly weird, not completely overpowered but able to handle the highest difficulty. I hear Wrath is quite a bit more difficult than Kingmaker, so should be good.

And I'm playing turn-based.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
so @Daidre @Haplo @Desiderius, what should my first character be when I start my first playthrough this weekend
The character I had enjoyed the most from my recent runs, by a huge margin, was Demon Rowdy, who was Cleaving everything with Vital Strike after demonic Charge. I'd also rate a Demon as one of the best mythic paths for amount of content he gets, close tie with an Angel. If you are in the mood for vanilla good - can't go wrong with merged Priest/Oracle Angel. And for another, undead-flavored evil, Lich is pretty nice too.

Mythic Path choice, imho, is a much more important than a class.

Angel sounds way too basic bitch. Demon is about the last thing I'd normally play, but I might consider it given that you both mention it as good.

Build-wise though, I have no idea what I'm going to for. Prolly gonna spent my entire weekend on the character creation screen, so any great ideas you have are appreciated.

Stoned Ape

Savant

Angel sounds way too basic bitch. Demon is about the last thing I'd normally play, but I might consider it given that you both mention it as good.

Build-wise though, I have no idea what I'm going to for. Prolly gonna spent my entire weekend on the character creation screen, so any great ideas you have are appreciated.
You could have a lot of fun with a Feral Champion Demon. They get claw attacks which scale with level, and you can have bite, gore, and other natural weapon attacks scale up as well if you spend a weapon focus on them, which works well with the demonic form spells. Additionally, as the demon levels up all of its natural attacks become primary at full STR and BAB. Probably worth taking as a Half-Orc with the feat that grants a bite (Razortusk, I think?), a kitsune, or a motherless tiefling.

Alternatively, Demon can also get the highest spell DCs if you prefer full caster. Battle Oracle (maybe with fire element for second mystery for eventual free empower on fire spells) would allow you to be a powerful gish without having to multiclass.

Magus (particularly Eldritch Scion) should work really well for a demon. Taking a second bloodline should allow you to get dragon for AC and abyssal for +6 STR without having to multiclass.

If you prefer arcane magic, you can build a pretty strong 18th level caster by going Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 4/EK 10 but I think that's better for a Lich than a Demon.

Lich really supports anything. It's best for full arcane casters with a merged spellbook, but has lots of Lich powers which would also be good for gishes, pure martials and even one that is useful for Kineticists. The Lich exclusive spells are all very strong and even non-arcane casters will get decent mileage from them while only using the basic mythic spellbook.

Desiderius

Patron
I suspect in that particular case redditor tried to express his doubt about pounce working with the mounted charge, but lost his thought along the way and whole thing came out horribly wrong.

It is indeed a bit a murky in the RAW. Some say it should work just like that, some say you need Mounted Skirmisher for this. No Mounted Skirmisher in the game, but Owlcat slapped its functionality on everyone for free around 1.2 (free full attack after mount moved) and who knows if it is a bug or no.
Mounted Skirmisher (and Trick Riding) is in TTT. Game makes a lot more sense with TTT.

Desiderius

Patron
so Daidre Haplo Desiderius, what should my first character be when I start my first playthrough this weekend

Cavalier, mad dog classes for mounted combat will be my suggestion. Nice alpha strikes with tanking, flanking from pets.
I also suggest shield bashing dwarven ranger/fighter every time to everyone.
Improved Quarry is worth staying pure Ranger, and the Style Feats let you get Shield Mastery at level 6 and TWF without high DEX.

Mad Dog sets up well for Trips I guess (which is kind of a nonbo if you like hitting on your Ranged characters), always found it kind of meh. Rage Powers are good.

Is the mandatory Bull Rush fixed yet on Cav? Standard Bearer is the only way to get around that if it hasn’t.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

You could have a lot of fun with a Feral Champion Demon. They get claw attacks which scale with level, and you can have bite, gore, and other natural weapon attacks scale up as well if you spend a weapon focus on them, which works well with the demonic form spells. Additionally, as the demon levels up all of its natural attacks become primary at full STR and BAB. Probably worth taking as a Half-Orc with the feat that grants a bite (Razortusk, I think?), a kitsune, or a motherless tiefling.

Alternatively, Demon can also get the highest spell DCs if you prefer full caster. Battle Oracle (maybe with fire element for second mystery for eventual free empower on fire spells) would allow you to be a powerful gish without having to multiclass.

Magus (particularly Eldritch Scion) should work really well for a demon. Taking a second bloodline should allow you to get dragon for AC and abyssal for +6 STR without having to multiclass.

If you prefer arcane magic, you can build a pretty strong 18th level caster by going Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 4/EK 10 but I think that's better for a Lich than a Demon.

Lich really supports anything. It's best for full arcane casters with a merged spellbook, but has lots of Lich powers which would also be good for gishes, pure martials and even one that is useful for Kineticists. The Lich exclusive spells are all very strong and even non-arcane casters will get decent mileage from them while only using the basic mythic spellbook.

Thanks man, that’s incredibly useful. Gish are my favorite thing in the world, but I’m not too fond of Magus (too much focus on one-dimensional spells and big hits, I like the Bag-of-Tricks style). Still played it in one of my Kingmaker playthroughs though, 'cause I just cannot deny the gish. The demon also sounds awesome. Something to work with.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
what should my first character be when I start my first playthrough this weekend
I think you should decide which mythic path to choose and pick a class after that.

Aeon and Angel probably have the most rewarding narrative content out of the paths I've played, but demon is supposed to be excellent too (I'll be playing that path after EE drops).

Lich, Azata and Trickster all have some good moments and fun stuff to do.

Legend was a bit light on narrative, but makes up for it by being incredibly powerful and quick to unlock.

Gold Dragon's content is painfully bad and involves some of the most tedious fetch-quests in the game. It's not even particularly powerful after you spend most of act 5 running all over the world map to unlock it.

Legend, Angel, and Lich are exceptionally strong mechanically while Aeon is pretty weak, most of the others are somewhere in between.

Trickster is probably better for a martial, Azata is probably better for a caster, Demon can handle either depending upon which demonic aspects you choose (I've played it in DLC 3, but not in the main campaign).

I've not tried the hidden mythic path (that you can unlock via Azata or Aeon) or the Swarm path.
Are we playing the same game?! Quick to unlock, mid way into last chapter?!

ArchAngel

Arcane

Thanks man, that’s incredibly useful. Gish are my favorite thing in the world, but I’m not too fond of Magus (too much focus on one-dimensional spells and big hits, I like the Bag-of-Tricks style). The demon also sounds awesome. Something to work with.
Angel and Lich are best balance of story/mechanics. Aeon also has good story but bad mechanics. I would suggest anyone to start with Angel or Lich for first play.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Re: shieldbashing I’ll be respeccing all the companions and I’m definitely making one of them a shieldbasher. Been having shieldbash builds in my character folder on iCloud since I started playing Pathfinder

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom