Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Tbh I had the complete opposite reaction. I skipped almost every line of text in the Inn and I almost never skip text in the beginning of an RPG but I just couldn't be arsed reading through pages and pages of Anevia and Irabeth's love story which I had no reason to care about at that point

I did like the atmosphere and Hulrun/Ramien-stuff etc though, as well as that traitor Dwarf. Those bits seemed setting-relevant and were decently set up
Yeah, and the trick for me to enjoy modern games built by those huge teams is to identify the parts of the game where the person on the other side actually put thought and effort, and was consistent. Most of it is fluff.

Indeed. In fact I didn't really find the Irebeth/Anevia-thing that obnoxious or cringe, really. It wasn't even poorly written. It was just completely irrelevant filler and came out of the blue, there was no reason for them to explain their whole relationship with huge textboxes at that point.

So I just skipped through it. It didn't actively harm my reading experience like Nenio did.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Gotta say, the writing is pretty great at times, especially for the setting standards. It can also be horrible, like basically everything Aneela + Irabeth, but most of the time I don't get the urge to just skip everything like I did in PoEI & II.
Don't read past the first sentence. I think it's a requirement of writers too - the whole NPC response should be summarized in the first sentence, the rest of the text should be treated as something the player is not likely to read.

Tbh I had the complete opposite reaction. I skipped almost every line of text in the Inn and I almost never skip text in the beginning of an RPG but I just couldn't be arsed reading through pages and pages of Anevia and Irabeth's love story which I had no reason to care about at that point

I did like the atmosphere and Hulrun/Ramien-stuff etc though, as well as that traitor Dwarf. Those bits seemed setting-relevant and were decently set up

Although as addendum to myself, this game does seem to have trouble with characters going on rants about their whole life-story out of the blue. While I liked the dwarven traitor, it does feel kind of random that he pours out the reason why everyone hates him like that without any prompting. I realize it's public knowledge but still.

It did introduce the cool concept of the penance legion, though. Reminds me of the Legion from Dragon Age, I always liked that idea.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Nenio's introduction must be one of the most grossly annoying pieces of shit I've ever had to sit through in an RPG. It has the full combo of zanyness, complete irreverance for the fiction contract and infatile infatuation with the character in question
They went full Big Bang Theory with Nenio. Which is such a shame, since from a gameplay perspective you could have done some interesting stuff with her doing experiments on herself. There was an interaction between her and Zacharius when you meet him and the writer probably thought it was funny, but for me it only dragged down the atmosphere of the encounter.

Wenduag I didn't like much at first, but have grown to appreciate. It's refreshing to have such an honest bootlicker at my side. Reminds me a bit of Wormtongue from the LOTR Trilogy.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I like that they made annoying to the Western audience companions very helpful.

So burgher-eaters have to choose between losing a perfect DEX tank, a Scroll Savant and a dual axe machine gun - or travelling with cannibals and a misunderstood genius. And then they have to figure out what to do with a DEX character in heavy armour and a frontline fighter who is too slow to get to the front line.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1184370/view/3314110913454461952

Update 2.0.1d
Hello, crusaders!

Update 2.0.1d is here!
  • We’ve fixed Aivu’s memory leak, which made her forget you have named your Azata court already.
  • You won’t be trapped in Enigma anymore.
  • Swarm that Walks can fully control its clones again.
  • Dropped items won’t disappear after reloading your saved game anymore.
  • Greybor no longer misses the fight with Darrazand, as a true professional should.

Known issues:
  • When you start a new game, your animal companion may not appear in the UI at first. Save and reload to fix this.

If you are playing with mods, don’t forget to update them before loading your saves!

Beware of possible plot spoilers below!
Areas
  • Fixed the issues with the terrain in the Rasping Rifts;
  • Fixed the spawn of the mobs in the elevators in Blackwater;
  • In some cases, it was impossible to leave the Enigma after defeating the final boss – fixed;
  • Sometimes, when visiting Azata's court, Aivu would initiate the very first cut-scene with the naming of the court – fixed;
  • When entering Iz, sometimes the characters would get stuck on the stairs – fixed.

Classes & Mechanics
  • Fixed the incorrect stacking for the Perfect Form ability.

UI
  • Fixed the issue with scrolling in the epilogue slides, which made it seem like the text was missing;
  • Fixed the issue with the clones of Swarm That Walks and the new animal companion interface.

Misс
  • After reloading a saved game, items previously dropped on the ground could disappear – fixed;
  • Fixed the issue with NPC in Drezen not illuminating on Aeon's path;
  • Leveling up a character could crash the game if done too fast – fixed;
  • Fixed the issue with Greybor not showing up during the battle with balor Darrazand.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
But dude I've already told you it's RAW, how is it cheesy when that's how the tabletop game is designed?

RAW can be plenty cheesey. We use many of house-rules at my table, and that is one of them:

Udklip.PNG

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Wenduag I didn't like much at first, but have grown to appreciate. It's refreshing to have such an honest bootlicker at my side.
Yeah. Wenduag fits the "treacherous lieutenant" trope perfectly. A must have for any evil playthrough. She is just refreshingly basic. She's certainly much more fun than Lann who is just a whining shithead.
Nenio's introduction must be one of the most grossly annoying pieces of shit I've ever had to sit through in an RPG. It has the full combo of zanyness, complete irreverance for the fiction contract and infatile infatuation with the character in question
Nenio is mostly very annoying, but she is a mandatory companion for access to one of the lategame dungeons (which has an item mandatory for the "secret" ending. Although since you are demon I think it is technically optional). She does have a few fun oneliners though, even if her character is 90% cringe.

Although as addendum to myself, this game does seem to have trouble with characters going on rants about their whole life-story out of the blue. While I liked the dwarven traitor, it does feel kind of random that he pours out the reason why everyone hates him like that without any prompting. I realize it's public knowledge but still.
I think "person will tell you about their life story at the drop of a hat" is how the game is trying to signal "this npc is important and not just a throw away".

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wenduag I didn't like much at first, but have grown to appreciate. It's refreshing to have such an honest bootlicker at my side.
Yeah. Wenduag fits the "treacherous lieutenant" trope perfectly. A must have for any evil playthrough. She is just refreshingly basic. She's certainly much more fun than Lann who is just a whining shithead.
Nenio is mostly very annoying, but she is a mandatory companion for access to one of the lategame dungeons (which has an item mandatory for the "secret" ending. Although since you are demon I think it is technically optional). She does have a few fun oneliners though, even if her character is 90% cringe.

I think "person will tell you about their life story at the drop of a hat" is how the game is trying to signal "this npc is important and not just a throw away".
My biggest problem with Wrathfinder is that the tone its NPCs bring suppresses my attempts to think of my MC's "character". I can't be serious around most of them. They all range between cheesy and cringe. And imo they don't fit the campaign's story except if you read the whole campaign as a parody of an epic adventure.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I also heard that in-built version of the DLC 3 campaign also gives +1 copy of the item, so that horrible place is even more optional now.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
if you read all the whole campaign as a parody of an epic adventure.
To some extent it is. When an immortal queen and lots of other important people 200 years are trying and loosing, and then an upstart from nowhere rides in and saves the day.

And in the end it is almost like Worldwound closes itself, and all the crusades were pointless.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
My biggest problem with Wrathfinder is that the tone its NPCs bring suppresses my attempts to think of my MC's "character". I can't be serious around most of them. They all range between cheesy and cringe. And imo they don't fit the campaign's story except if you read all the whole campaign as a parody of an epic adventure.
I mean, was it ever going to make sense that a single person ends a stalemate that has been going on for a century?

Tsubutai

Educated
how would anyone build a switch hitter build? like firing them longbows, then starting swinging with the long iron?
like a tarkan.
I think the short answer is that you wouldn't since even a fighter would struggle to get enough feats and mythic abilities to be useful with both weapon types.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
My biggest problem with Wrathfinder is that the tone its NPCs bring suppresses my attempts to think of my MC's "character". I can't be serious around most of them. They all range between cheesy and cringe. And imo they don't fit the campaign's story except if you read all the whole campaign as a parody of an epic adventure.
I mean, was it ever going to make sense that a single person ends a stalemate that has been going on for a century?

Eh, there's almost always some incongruence going on with that kindda shit in fantasy epics, especially cliché ones like these adventures. I can totally live with that. The insane zanyness and complete breaks with tone of some companions is a different beast entirely

Yosharian

Arcane
But dude I've already told you it's RAW, how is it cheesy when that's how the tabletop game is designed?

RAW can be plenty cheesey. We use many of house-rules at my table, and that is one of them:

View attachment 29082
The past tense of waive is waived, not waivered

SMH trying to rewrite tabletop rules and doesn't even know basic grammar

Jokes aside there is absolutely nothing cheesy about using a belt to qualify for a feat, utter nonsense

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

View attachment 29082
The past tense of waive is waived, not waivered

SMH trying to rewrite tabletop rules and doesn't even know basic grammar

We are filthy Danish barbarians with no proper grasp of the English language

Jokes aside there is absolutely nothing cheesy about using a belt to qualify for a feat, utter nonsense

the-dude-yeah-well-you-know-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom