Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Codex Year of the Donut
My biggest problem with Wrathfinder is that the tone its NPCs bring suppresses my attempts to think of my MC's "character". I can't be serious around most of them. They all range between cheesy and cringe. And imo they don't fit the campaign's story except if you read all the whole campaign as a parody of an epic adventure.
I mean, was it ever going to make sense that a single person ends a stalemate that has been going on for a century?
joan of arc?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
My biggest problem with Wrathfinder is that the tone its NPCs bring suppresses my attempts to think of my MC's "character". I can't be serious around most of them. They all range between cheesy and cringe. And imo they don't fit the campaign's story except if you read all the whole campaign as a parody of an epic adventure.
I mean, was it ever going to make sense that a single person ends a stalemate that has been going on for a century?

Eh, there's almost always some incongruence going on with that kindda shit in fantasy epics, especially cliché ones like these adventures. I can totally live with that. The insane zanyness and complete breaks with tone of some companions is a different beast entirely
Honestly I found even Nenio to break the setting much much less than the act3 sidequest that has you fight the nanobot enhanced raygun wielding cyborgs of the evil ai.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Why would you put so many points into both STR and DEX
Because Slayer doesn't need to beat saves (outside of some corner cases). Big (The way CPs work though it's not all *that* big) benefit of Martial classes is not needing to have a high mind stat. And... if you look at the way Wend comes without needing respec you can see that's what Owlcat did. It's very hard to improve on what she's doing out of the box.

I'm considering fitting Crane Style
I had five characters with Crane my first P:K playthrough, including Eldritch Scion/MT Tristian who tanked endgame Blind. It took awhile to kill stuff. When I say something is bad it's because I did it myself and found better things. You have better options.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Eh, there's almost always some incongruence going on with that kindda shit in fantasy epics, especially cliché ones like these adventures. I can totally live with that. The insane zanyness and complete breaks with tone of some companions is a different beast entirely

Agreed, when companions open their mouth nothing but cringe comes out, they are tonally all over the place. It's really a bummer because otherwise I enjoy the writing in the main campaign, it may be somewhat generic but it works.

Desiderius

Patron
I know there are levers on top of the walls (which I normally use), but there are levers on the other sides of the gates as well - that you can switch instead of ramming the gates? You learn something new every day...
Plus there's all the EXP you get from the parkour involved in getting up to and down from the other side of the walls. You don't have to go with Reg to get up on the walls either. You can start from the front gate and head West to either go thru Barracks (can shoot Nabasu safely from roof of Barracks) and/or use Athletics/Mobility to climb on to roof/walls to the broken section which acts as ramp to first giant. Also back door to Temple west of there.

Yes, and there is even hidden mini-quest with 3 keys to open the last gates, to inner part of the keep. As a result, you can skip all gate-ramming sequences and will get more xp while doing it.
There's an Extend Rod in there as well.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
nanobot enhanced raygun wielding cyborgs
overelaborate golems with strangely shaped disintegrate wands
intelligent elemental spirit bound to rare metal solomonic configuration (djinn)

ez

unfortunately these and others are a part of the setting
I mean you say this, but it's not like this stuff is in any way obfuscated or left open to interpretation. Iirc they are literally called cyborgs, the feat that gives them regen is called "nanobots" and so on.

Agreed, when companions open their mouth nothing but cringe comes out, they are tonally all over the place. It's really a bummer because otherwise I enjoy the writing in the main campaign, it may be somewhat generic but it works.
Eh, I enjoy most of the companions, and I think Regill and Ember in particular are very good.

Desiderius

Patron
how would anyone build a switch hitter build? like firing them longbows, then starting swinging with the long iron?
like a tarkan.
Sohei would kind of have to if it wants to use Bow at all since it doesn't get Point Blank Master. TTT Weapon Training doesn't progress either so maybe that's WAI. Would need Quick Draw Feat that CotW has, not sure if TTT does.

There aren't many melee-specific Feats outside of specialized things like Cleave so it would be reasonably doable, especially on Fighter, if you wanted the flexibility. Melee weapons get Crusader's Edge and Outflank, Ranged Weapons can acquire new targets mid-full attack so each has it's strengths.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Depends on the execution of the story. It did in the king Arthur myth. :)

ArchAngel

Arcane
Depends on the execution of the story. It did in the king Arthur myth. :)
Well in this game it is not one person unless that one person is Arueelu. Your "hero" is just a puppet for 4/5 of the game.
Story is excellent, one of the better ones in cRPGs that focus more on combat.

Yosharian

Arcane
Yeah the whole nanobots thing is ridiculous, that item in KM called Gears Rule or whatever was completely out of place

Desiderius

Patron
It’s in that world. Technic League is a thing. Big subplot in LotR was Saruman modernizing Isengard and the blind eye of the Modern/Technological to Evil. Same with Blackwater (reference to rl Blackwater/Blackrock where same is happening Scouring the Shire style).

Is Arcanum absurd?

Acrux

Arcane
Yeah the whole nanobots thing is ridiculous, that item in KM called Gears Rule or whatever was completely out of place
That's the PF style for their official Golarian world. It's a mishmash of everything, tech and magic, religion and atheism, etc. . Some games do it well (like Arcanum) and some games...

Desiderius

Patron
You get more than that for each lever you throw from the other side (or above).
When I pulled the gate lever for the left side (I was attacking the giants on the walls) I received no notification of gaining XP so I reloaded, went around the other side and bashed the gate.
Yes, and there is even hidden mini-quest with 3 keys to open the last gates, to inner part of the keep. As a result, you can skip all gate-ramming sequences and will get more xp while doing it.
You can still do the 3 keys quest and also bash the two side gates.
Try again. Maybe you need to clear mobs on stairs first? It works for me. Battering cutscenes can be dangerous along with a waste of time. I haven’t had to fight any since beta.

Technomancer

Liturgist

That's what happens when your setting is a kitchen sink of a fantasy that tries to cater to every popular trope because that means profit. Numeria as a whole is out of place.

Delterius

Arcane
It’s in that world. Technic League is a thing. Big subplot in LotR was Saruman modernizing Isengard and the blind eye of the Modern/Technological to Evil. Same with Blackwater (reference to rl Blackwater/Blackrock where same is happening Scouring the Shire style).

Is Arcanum absurd?
to be quite frank everything related to spaceships in golarion is absolutely moronic and best ignored. its not just on the face of it either, a closer inspection just makes it worse. golarion is at the same time the most important planet in the universe and also the only one made up of renaissance faire morons who can't open a portal to the galactic federation to learn their tech. it's tacked on, bad and almost insulting to compare with arcanum.

Desiderius

Patron
I like that they made annoying to the Western audience companions very helpful.

So burgher-eaters have to choose between losing a perfect DEX tank, a Scroll Savant and a dual axe machine gun - or travelling with cannibals and a misunderstood genius. And then they have to figure out what to do with a DEX character in heavy armour and a frontline fighter who is too slow to get to the front line.
Lol you’re so far up your ass you can’t see straight. Those companions are the usual half-assed RUS attempts to *pander* to a Western audience for a quick buck. The ultimate self-own: mistaking wokel bullshit for the true Slavic spirit.

No wonder you ended up slaves. Sad!

Desiderius

Patron

Is Arcanum absurd?
to be quite frank everything related to spaceships in golarion is absolutely moronic and best ignored. its not just on the face of it either, a closer inspection just makes it worse. golarion is at the same time the most important planet in the universe and also the only one made up of renaissance faire morons who can't open a portal to the galactic federation to learn their tech. it's tacked on, bad and almost insulting to compare with arcanum.
Actual Renaissance owned our degenerate asses. Maybe we could learn something from them. Tech isn’t saving you from wokel Luddites.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
okay which one of you made this

Udklip.PNG

:hmmm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom