Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Humbaba

Arcane
So had you won in the end, instead of getting critted, you'd be fine with an encounter taking almost an hour?

Would change my individual experience, but not the design, obviously

Good thing no one's arguing about design. The encounter is not designed to waste 45 minutes of your time and crit you, that's just what happened.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So had you won in the end, instead of getting critted, you'd be fine with an encounter taking almost an hour?

Good thing no one's arguing about design. The encounter is not designed to waste 45 minutes of your time and crit you, that's just what happened.

What's even your argument? That bad design is seldom intended?

Delterius

Arcane
Arcanum isn't really the same at all, as it's not anywhere near the same kind of technology leap. And the part about keeping them separate is built into the game's lore.
It's not the size tech leap that matters. Arcanum is about the technological leap in the same sense Shadowrun is about a world where magic and future tech interface with one another. These worlds have incentives to 'keep things separate' but that's not all, the entire world is structured around that interaction. Golarion's nanobots and androids are just a part of the kitchen sink. In that sense it's no different from older games where you crash a space ship into a fantasy planet. I personally don't think very highly of that. The problem in Golarion is that the world at large doesn't seem to change at all. The outer realms and the other countries don't have an inkling as to the star trek tier civilizations that surround it.

Humbaba

Arcane

What's even your argument? That bad design is seldom intended?
"This encounter sucks! This must mean it's designed badly!"

Delterius

Arcane
Lol. 45 minutes of turnbased combat -> 1 insanely lucky crit on MC -> start over. Who the fuck thought this was a good idea
there are men and women in this world whose response to such events is of supreme serenity and joy. if you have not yet reached enlightenment i recommend listening to this for 66 hours a day

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Ended up doing the fight in RTwP but had to restart a couple of times due to how buggy it was. Enemies frequently just stood still doing nothing on the battlements, and I think the stairway pathfinding is why, because my characters would completely spazz out when trying to climb it. Didn't feel fair beating with half the enemies doing nothing

You can only reduce it through Specialization and regular Kin starts out one behind because it has to pay for Blade. It’s that simple. How often do you get Specializations? That’s how many levels you’ll be behind KKnight on regular Kin. Endgame theorycrafting is a helluva drug.

Kineticist reduces kinetic blade to 0 burn at level 5 while using Bowling Infusion (I think, don't have Toybox to check at the moment but I know this is the case in Kingmaker). Which is the exact same level that you'd get your first extra attack from a wizard hasting you. This isn't endgame theorycrafting.

Kineticist being "behind" Kinetic Blade would be relevant if Kinetic Blade had something that they could use to increase damage with that extra +1 burn capacity. Problem is, they don't. Even at level 20 they won't be able to reduce composite blasts to 0 on Kinetic Blade and there's literally nothing else to use because they don't get metakinesis.

I’ve played both Kalikke and Val KKnight (and a full Kknight on Depths). You can see the difference clear as day if you’ve been thru the leveling yourself. Same with being able to wear Heavy and Shield with DR from Earth letting you start out in melee where you can even just do some straight up Tripping if you want. Feats you need: Weapon Focus, Dazzling, Shatter, Outflank, Fury’s Fall, Tandem Trip, Trip, Greater Trip along with the usual nice things to have like Improved Initiative, Shake it Off etc. You can pick up the regular Trips via bonus Feats (at the cost of talents) and even Dazzling from Fire if you want but that’s still five minimum* on a class that gets no bonus feats.

The Feat tax for DEX-based is too high on classes with no bonus Feats that also want CMs because you also need Agile Maneuvers. Especially when you’ve got an archetype right there that gives you Heavy and a Shield. Either you’re playing Core where that should be enough AC or you’re going to need AoE AC on higher difficulties anyway.

The feat tax for dex-based is 1 feat, finesse. If you have trouble fitting that in then take human. It's not like Kineticist is TWF or using a bow where it needs like 5 feats. I would rate a substantial AC increase for a frontliner to be more useful than most of these feats.

The Meta stuff is completely superfluous if you’re at the point in the game where you can land three attacks (or a Whirlwind lol) with the Kinetic items you’re already doing plenty of damage. And Bowling/Magnetic help you land the other hits.
+50-100% damage is not completely superfluous at all lmao. Even ignoring that there are enemies that take that much damage to take down, attacks miss and you want to do more damage all the time. Maximum cope excuses here. Furthermore you can start empowering at level 5 when you have 2 APR (1 + haste).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Is Tower of Estrod bugged? I went there, killed Faxon and his goonies, resolved the basement. After clearing it out did a bunch of other shit including Tavern Defense, saw I had a quest at tower to clear out the demons and went there, confused. Sure enough, Faxon is there with the goons I killed. Is this a bug or did I mix something up?

Delterius

Arcane
Is Tower of Estrod bugged? I went there, killed Faxon and his goonies, resolved the basement. After clearing it out did a bunch of other shit including Tavern Defense, saw I had a quest at tower to clear out the demons and went there, confused. Sure enough, Faxon is there with the goons I killed. Is this a bug or did I mix something up?
enhanced edition (beta)

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Lol. 45 minutes of turnbased combat -> 1 insanely lucky crit on MC -> start over. Who the fuck thought this was a good idea

Yeah forcing a restart when MC drops is dumb as hell. I think for Unfair the sensible thing would be to have a tanky beefcake MC and make glass canon out of some companions, otherwise you'd get cancer by chapter 3.

Technomancer

Liturgist
45 minutes of turnbased combat -> 1 insanely lucky crit on MC -> start over.
Can sacrifice one level for elemental bloodline sorc/brager dip to grab a capstone bloodline ability through mythic feat and make yourself permanently immune to crits/precision damage.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yeah forcing a restart when MC drops is dumb as hell.

That's the thing. Just let me rezz the dumb bastard

45 minutes of turnbased combat -> 1 insanely lucky crit on MC -> start over.
Can sacrifice one level for elemental bloodline sorc/brager dip to grab a capstone bloodline ability through mythic feat and make yourself permanently immune to crits/precision damage.

Don't care about the one-shots in general (otherwise you'd be a retard playing on Unfair, you get one-shot constantly even without crits), I cared about it in this instance because it clashed with the length of the fight

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Welcome to why infinite spawns is the kiss of death to your RPG.

The only one that got away with it was Planescape: Torment, and it did so, for a good reason.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm setting up Bubble Buffs for the first time and holy shit. It's amazing when modders make something that's so insanely intuitive and usability-minded it surpasses most things the original dev put in. Took me literally 1 minute to "get it" despite not RTFM

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Yeah forcing a restart when MC drops is dumb as hell. I think for Unfair the sensible thing would be to have a tanky beefcake MC and make glass canon out of some companions, otherwise you'd get cancer by chapter 3.
Yeah the game feels a lot less playable when your MC isn't some ac stacking retard super tank. Especially since many enemies are programmed to specifically beeline for your MC regardless of what's happening.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah the game feels a lot less playable when your MC isn't some ac stacking retard super tank. Especially since many enemies are programmed to specifically beeline for your MC regardless of what's happening.

Beelining seems to be controlled (maybe it's new in EE) entirely by who started the fight if there's a surprise round. It's pretty weird.

Codex Year of the Donut
Ended up doing the fight in RTwP but had to restart a couple of times due to how buggy it was. Enemies frequently just stood still doing nothing on the battlements, and I think the stairway pathfinding is why, because my characters would completely spazz out when trying to climb it. Didn't feel fair beating with half the enemies doing nothing
Definitively still unfinished edition.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Definitively still unfinished edition.

Indeed. I now have a bug where I can't complete an important quest because of a missing trigger. Lovely.

CodexTotalWar

Learned
Is it the quest involving the Gwerm Mansion? I'm seeing a ton of reports on that right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom