Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

rojay

Scholar
I'm afraid it's exactly like Pillars design: frontload the best dungeon (Raedrick, Garnison, Fort Deadlight) at the start of the game, and everything else is mostly tiny maps.
Aren't you the one who complains about House at the Edge of Time?

you’re gonna have to be more specific
Who doesn't complain about House at the Edge of Time? I really enjoyed Kingmaker but that was just a slog. Once you get the mechanics it's not hard, it's just tedious.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Good Kitty!
Img6.png

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah loading all the good content at the beginning has become so commonplace it doesn't even surprise you anymore. With RPGs unfortunately it means they are usually the most interesting at low level.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Haplo
I've started with Kitsune, +4 buff to three stats looks more or less interesting, plus that extra bite attack pretty useful at start.

Personally, currently I'm having more fun with the Mobility Trickster. But I do think it's not necessarily the best pick for a first playtrough

Yea, Trickster is definitely a bit more... tricky than Sanctified Slayer, I miss some of SS bonuses, plus sneak attack was a really really helping early game which is why I was thinking about possible ways to increase the damage with sneak.
There are Rage Powers to improve Move Speed further (+10, can be picked up to 3 times)
Ahh, no offence, but I do agree with Yosharian that it sucks, sounds like a pretty bad trade off of two levels. Maybe some sneak attack levels of some other class and elven curved blade as a weapon with much more higher critical range? I'm just unsure which two (potentially even 4 if going to 11 SS instead of 13 and dropping that late int damage bonus) levels can make a difference, considering the fact that going to crit oriented weapon means that it's more efficient to focus on some pure damage bonuses instead of sneak attack which doesn't multiply on crit (at least it was working like that in NWN)

And you can potentially also go for a bigger mount.
I have an efficiency OCD, so knowing that leopard a bit better in terms of effective charging I can't really use anything else, hehe
Also the crit properties of scythes are a good fit for Vek's TTT modification to Perception 2 Trick
I'd appreciate any vanilla game change advices in your build since I'm a console player retard.

And of course, - thanks a lot again, very valuable feedback!
sorry, seems like you've missed this because of delaying posting for new forum members
Hmm, frankly not sure what I may add.
Yes, Extra Rage Power for Fast Movement is a poor idea if it's classified as Enhancement bonus for some reason.
One other late game option for speed could be Winds of Vengeance buff - but don't know how to get it on such a character.

Not sure what significant sneak attack bonuses you hope to get with 2 levels. And not a fan of dropping 2 SS levels and Int to damage, key Arcana and enchantment point. Very bad idea IMO. Even with a finesse weapon, also not a fan of dropping Fighter Weapon Training, as that's +3 to hit and damage with dueling gloves - generally better then minor sneak bonuses.

You want to go with ECB? Then go ahead. But it won't be quite as fun then IMO, as you're giving up aoe potential for (slightly) better single target performance. Although personally for single target I'd go with greataxes instead.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah loading all the good content at the beginning has become so commonplace it doesn't even surprise you anymore. With RPGs unfortunately it means they are usually the most interesting at low level.
I've said this so many times - Cut D:OS at the end of Cyseal and it's a great 20-hour adventure. Cut D:OS2 at the end of Fort Joy, and it's a great ~30 hour adventure. Nothing will ever feel repetitivie.

Instead we have badly balanced, bloated with filler, cliche-ridden timewasters.

traa

Literate
Haplo
I've started with Kitsune, +4 buff to three stats looks more or less interesting, plus that extra bite attack pretty useful at start.

Personally, currently I'm having more fun with the Mobility Trickster. But I do think it's not necessarily the best pick for a first playtrough

Yea, Trickster is definitely a bit more... tricky than Sanctified Slayer, I miss some of SS bonuses, plus sneak attack was a really really helping early game which is why I was thinking about possible ways to increase the damage with sneak.
There are Rage Powers to improve Move Speed further (+10, can be picked up to 3 times)
Ahh, no offence, but I do agree with Yosharian that it sucks, sounds like a pretty bad trade off of two levels. Maybe some sneak attack levels of some other class and elven curved blade as a weapon with much more higher critical range? I'm just unsure which two (potentially even 4 if going to 11 SS instead of 13 and dropping that late int damage bonus) levels can make a difference, considering the fact that going to crit oriented weapon means that it's more efficient to focus on some pure damage bonuses instead of sneak attack which doesn't multiply on crit (at least it was working like that in NWN)

I have an efficiency OCD, so knowing that leopard a bit better in terms of effective charging I can't really use anything else, hehe
Also the crit properties of scythes are a good fit for Vek's TTT modification to Perception 2 Trick
I'd appreciate any vanilla game change advices in your build since I'm a console player retard.

sorry, seems like you've missed this because of delaying posting for new forum members
Yes, Extra Rage Power for Fast Movement is a poor idea if it's classified as Enchantment bonus for some reason.
One other late game option for speed could be Winds of Vengeance buff - but don't know how to get it on such a character.

Not sure what significant sneak attack bonuses you hope to get with 2 levels. And not a fan of dropping 2 SS levels and Int to damage, key Arcana and enchantment point. Very bad idea IMO. Even with a finesse weapon, also not a fan of dropping Fighter Weapon Training, as that's +3 to hit and damage with dueling gloves -generally better then minor sneak bonuses.

You want to go with ECB? Then go ahead. But it won't be quite as fun then IMO, as you're giving up aoe potential for (slightly) better single target performance. Although personally for single target I'd go with greataxes instead.
I came up to pretty much the same conclusions, there's no obvious 2-4 levels of something that will really make a dramatic difference. Maybe something in Loremaster secrets (Opportunist would be able to add something?), but this would cost a focus feat. I'd proceed with scythe (so far just got this level 5 of Mutation Warrior and finessed heavy blades) or any other heavy blade group weapon that has x3-x4 multiplier. I do like more single target damage oriented things, so I'll check if there's something good in that weapon group.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Who said their BFT are not good in offense in DLC3?
Mine is doing fine
as a dragon.
Img6.png
I really wish you could take feats for all natural attacks at once. Just to round things out. and also to enable some stupid turn everyone into dragons trickster playthrough
You don't really need them. All this character is missing is power attack and mythic power attack. But this BFT is not even built to fight in melee as a Dragon and still she is kicking ass.

rojay

Scholar
I'm afraid it's exactly like Pillars design: frontload the best dungeon (Raedrick, Garnison, Fort Deadlight) at the start of the game, and everything else is mostly tiny maps.
Aren't you the one who complains about House at the Edge of Time?

you’re gonna have to be more specific
Who doesn't complain about House at the Edge of Time?

That was the joke
No shit, dude. That was my joke too. Sucks when you have to explain it.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Haplo

Yes, Extra Rage Power for Fast Movement is a poor idea if it's classified as Enchantment bonus for some reason.

Not sure what significant sneak attack bonuses you hope to get with 2 levels. And not a fan of dropping 2 SS levels and Int to damage, key Arcana and enchantment point. Very bad idea IMO. Even with a finesse weapon, also not a fan of dropping Fighter Weapon Training, as that's +3 to hit and damage with dueling gloves -generally better then minor sneak bonuses.

I came up to pretty much the same conclusions, there's no obvious 2-4 levels of something that will really make a dramatic difference. Maybe something in Loremaster secrets (Opportunist would be able to add something?), but this would cost a focus feat. I'd proceed with scythe (so far just got this level 5 of Mutation Warrior and finessed heavy blades) or any other heavy blade group weapon that has x3-x4 multiplier. I do like more single target damage oriented things, so I'll check if there's something good in that weapon group.
Note that end game you'll have Trick Fate (been advised picking Completely Normal Spell if only for that - to have 4 more casts per rest) - and then a x4 crit weapon wouldn't be half bad....

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
They completely broke the Gwerm mansion quest, good job Owlcat
First Quest of the DLC 3's integrated version, that starts in Chapter 3, is also broken - boss doesn't spawn and it is impossible to progress past one island.
It is hilarious that it is exactly one issue that they are promised to fix with 2.0.1e hotfix for Rogue-like.

They are really breaking one DLC 3's mode while trying to fix another, aren't they? :(

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Daidre said:
It is hilarious that it is exactly one issue that they are promised to fix with 2.0.1e hotfix for Rogue-like.

The Gwerm signal bug is also a bug they specifically mention being fixed in 2.0.1e and it seems broken for more people than ever

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Did you see my post about it? If it's the "can't signal" bug, you can fix it by editing the save (there's also a toybox solution that might work)
I did not, but I did the Toybox solution and it worked in a jiffy. Still frustrating that a year down the line they're introducing companion quest breaking bugs and taking time to fix them.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Daidre said:

The Gwerm signal bug is also a bug they specifically mention being fixed in 2.0.1e and it seems broken for more people than ever
This seems about on par with owlcat patching from my recollection of the game stopping bugs for the initial release. It doesn't happen for every game stopping bug, but it is not a novel issue.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Funny enough, I remember seeing fix for Gwerm mansion in 2.0.1e patch notes, but I look at them right now:
lSYa2kd.png
And there is no mention of it. They have what, edited it later, when bug reports started to pour in from everywhere?!

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Funny enough, I remember seeing fix for Gwerm mansion in 2.0.1e patch notes, but I look at them right now:
lSYa2kd.png
And there is no mention of it. They have what, edited it later, when bug reports started to pour in from everywhere?!

I'm 90% sure I saw it too when I checked after I encountered the bug

traa

Literate
Haplo

Note that end game you'll have Trick Fate (been advised picking Completely Normal Spell if only for that - to have 4 more casts per rest) - and then a x4 crit weapon wouldn't be half bad....
Good point, thanks!

Humbaba

Arcane
Think I'll be starting my 4th playthrough soon. I've settled on going Elf Grenadier and picking Trickster before going Swarm. Having a party made up of 6 bomb throwers sounds very fun. Will be opting for elven curved blades, I can use those with weapon finesse. Won't be getting much out of the Trickster sneak attack stuff but I'm gonna lose all that once I go swarm anyway. Will romance Camellia and then have her devoured by bugs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom