Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem with the full BAB front-end is that you never get to those backloaded Slayer Talents lol.

Just determined not to play Huntmaster?

I think Divine Hunter (the Hunter one) gets a Domain? That gives you and your pet Outflank at lvl 2 I think? And Celestial Template? Better mix of spells with Aeon.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've pondered Huntsmaster. Would probably pick one if going for Legend (since it's limited to single Mythic Feat and Ability). I hate what Owlcat did to Evil Outsider Favored Enemies. Ranger types ALMOST might have been useful in this setting. Alas. Fortunately there's still Booter...

Otherwise SS clearly wins in my book. Studied Target, Sneak attacks, Slayer Talents. Pays an extra Mythic Ability for Impossible Domain and Boon Companion feat, but oh well.

Hunter is strictly inferior with his Medium BAB and no real advantages (apart from sharing Teamworks with AC).

Desiderius

Patron
I've pondered Huntsmaster. Would probably pick one if going for Legend (since it's limited to single Mythic Feat and Ability). I hate what Owlcat did to Evil Outsider Favored Enemies. Ranger types ALMOST might have been useful in this setting. Alas. Fortunately there's still Booter...

Otherwise SS clearly wins in my book. Studied Target, Sneak attacks, Slayer Talents. Pays an extra Mythic Ability for Impossible Domain and Boon Companion feat, but oh well.

Hunter is strictly inferior with his Medium BAB and no real advantages (apart from sharing Teamworks with AC).

(1) Lead Blades

(2) full Vitals

(2) full pet with abilities that enhance it

(3) martial prof

(4) lvl 2 free outflank for both you and Mount (I.e. always on with the way Wrath does flanking)

(5) full Barkskins

(6) Faerie Fire (don’t laugh, try against the Lich)

(7) Celestial Template

(8) better spell mix with Aeon

(9) Animal foci better than they look

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I was always conflicted about Sanctified Slayer. It looks wonderful on max level on paper but in practice she was always underperforming comparing to the Divine Hound for the first three chapters I've played her. With my playstyle, Divine Hound soloed chapter 1 and early chapter 2 like a bulldozer, while SS was struggling and spent all that time spamming scrolls in the desperate hope of becoming cool one day.
Would be different with a full party, ofc.

Desiderius

Patron
Hound is great.

Does Hunter in fact have Lead Blades now? Fextraclowns think it does. Can use the Mythic you’re not blowing on Animool Domain on the famous Stone Call/Enforced Vigor combo (poor man’s Time Stop). Then you can just move into position instead of worrying about Teleporting, but that’s a whole different build.

If you want Domain + Mount might as well play the class designed for it tho, and that fits better with Aeon.

Daidre

Arcane
Does Hunter in fact have Lead Blades now?
Yes, Hunter always had Lead Blades afair.
Then you can just move into position instead of worrying about Teleporting, but that’s a whole different build.
I always thought that Travel Domain teleport is personal. Or you can take your mount along with you? I know that mounted magus can do this, but he has a special ability for it.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Then you can just move into position instead of worrying about Teleporting, but that’s a whole different build.
I always thought that Travel Domain teleport is personal. Or you can take your mount along with you? I know that mounted magus can do this, but he has a special ability for it.

It works fine mounted. I should know, I played a Cleric that way.

Its even according to the tabletop rules AFAIR. Although there you have a daily distance budget you can cover - and taking others with you costs you more distance budget AFAIR.
Here you simply have class level number of uses...

Desiderius

Patron
Yes, Hunter always had Lead Blades afair.

Never did get around to melee Hunter but pretty sure this was one of the things that should never have been missing in the first place that they also never got around to including, which is one of the reasons I never got around to playing it, though I could be mistaken.

Always on Outflank at lvl 2 with three attax on your MC and an attack and a Trip on his Mount seems pretty good tho.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I was always conflicted about Sanctified Slayer. It looks wonderful on max level on paper but in practice she was always underperforming comparing to the Divine Hound for the first three chapters I've played her. With my playstyle, Divine Hound soloed chapter 1 and early chapter 2 like a bulldozer, while SS was struggling and spent all that time spamming scrolls in the desperate hope of becoming cool one day.
Would be different with a full party, ofc.

Well, I might be reinforcing your point, since this test was at the beginning of Act 3, level 11 (so after Acts 1 and 2), but at that level... looked okay to me:
73A64F9CED9C0C0CA825ADB657F06548367BD746

Of course that's a crit, don't have Vulpine Pounce here yet...

When not charging damage is less, but up to 7 attacks kinda make up for that.
57F64F5C24CEA7D322B69BAA800126B3DC590B12

Divine Hound (and other Hunters) do little to strenghten their characters and focus on Animal Companions instead. Bad move IMO. ACs might be great early on, but later they cannot compete with a PC. Long term, its only worth investing in their AC... and maybe Tripping ability.
Well, in Real Time I suppose they can trigger Leading Strikes. They can a little in Turn Based also - if they have Pounce.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Divine Hound (and other Hunters) do little to strenghten their characters and focus on Animal Companions instead. Bad move IMO. ACs might be great early on, but later they cannot compete with a PC.

I haven't found either of these to be the case, and I've played a lot of Hunter with Lann.

Pics are great but what is SS really bringing to the table there?

Your proposed solution ends up with a late pet (you're down two feats, with Outflank several levels later plus Boon) and one less Mythic since Hunter doesn't need to burn the Domain, so don't forget that as well. Animal Focus helps both pet and player.

Daidre

Arcane
Divine Hound (and other Hunters) do little to strenghten their characters and focus on Animal Companions instead. Bad move IMO. ACs might be great early on, but later they cannot compete with a PC.
Imho, all those paper-thin Hunters/Inquisitors are fun in the first chapters, but all of them stop being brightest star in the party when keeping animal companion under them moving and breathing starts to become an issue.
I think best result for ACs I've got was with Azata who was sharing Tandem Trip and Seize the moment (and other teamwork feats), with Legendary Proportioned Dog + Wolf + 3 Archers in the party with Snap Shot and Combat reflexes, and Mythic Feats spent on Mythical Beast and Ever Ready. So less cool Spirited Charge and more of AoO loop.
It was my only rider who got to chapter 5, I often lose interest in them around ch 3.

BTW, Opportunist works with Snap Shot and triggers attack from archer when ally hits someone next to them in melee.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

I haven't found either of these to be the case, and I've played a lot of Hunter with Lann.

Your proposed solution ends up with a late pet (you're down two feats, with Outflank several levels later plus Boon) and one less Mythic since Hunter doesn't need to burn the Domain, so don't forget that as well. Animal Focus helps both pet and player.

Well, its bringing +2 Studied Target (when multi-attacking an enemy), 3d6 Sneaks (with Accomplished Attacker), Bane, Divine Favor (compared with Hunter).

Desiderius

Patron
Notable Hunter Spells (lol the interface is still messed up so doesn’t list sixth level spells)

5: Geniekind, Cave Fangs, Vinetrap, Nature’s Ally V (1d4 +1 Leopards), Cure Crit, Death Ward

4: Obsidian Flow, Echolocation, Slowing Mud, Freedom, Aspect of Wolf, Animal Growth, Inspiring Recovery

3: Feather Step, Mass, Delay Poison Communal, Magic Fang, Greater, Longstrider, Greater, Soothing Mud, Resist Communal, protect communal, Chameleon Stride, Greater

2: Owls/Bulls/Bears/Cats, Barkskin, Stone Call, Vitals, Effortless, Aspect of the Bear, Restoration, Lesser, Frigid Touch, Spine Growth

1: Acid Maw, Lead Blades, Unbreakable, Faerie Fire, Longstrider, Delay/Resist 10 min/lvl

Desiderius

Patron

Well, its bringing +2 Studied Target (when multi-attacking an enemy), 3d6 Sneaks (with Accomplished Attacker), Bane, Divine Favor (compared with Hunter).

You get Favor and Bane already from Aeon. Accomplished Sneak is +3d6 now? Hunter has Vitals for Sneaks.

Got the game turned on finally. The Combining of Inq and AeonBane is a big boost for both but seems better at Range due to unfortunate stacking with Crusaders Edge (Natural/Unarmed attax also don’t work with Edge)?

At Mythic 6 all your Summons get Aeonbane on their attacks. There are ways to make that relevant.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
Divine Hound also get Inquisitor's Judgments and can make them unlimited with mythic feat. +Attack progression is the same as on Studied Target and +Damage even outpaces it. Judgments also affect pet.

And basic Inquisitor's Bane, iirc, could be replaced with Crusader's Edge (only one bane could be active). Greater Bane is stronger, but much later.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
How long is the new DLC, I saw a review that said he finished it in 5 hours and a half playing turn based :\

Daidre

Arcane
How long is the new DLC, I saw a review that said he finished it in 5 hours and a half playing turn based :\
Did it in ~4-5 hours today. It has 2 story companions (Sorc and Rogue archer)+ 3 hirelings. 2 Huge maps (like Kenabres Market) and several small ones. Lot of skill checks and storybook events. Looks like almost zero connection to the main game.
And achievements were bugged, I've got none of them even with UMM uninstalled:(

Desiderius

Patron
6: Bulls/Bears/Cats/Owls, Mass (these free up a lot of item slots), Dispel, Greater, Sirocco, Stoneskin, Communal, Ally VI, Tar Pool

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Did it in ~4-5 hours today. It has 2 story companions + 3 hirelings. 2 Huge maps (like Kenabres Market) and several small ones. Lot of skill checks and storybook events. Looks like almost zero connection to the main game.
And achievements were bugged, I've got none of them even with UMM uninstalled:(

Meh at least the other DLC took me a while, I think more than 10+.
Did you like it?

Daidre

Arcane
Did you like it?
I've enjoyed this DLC enough to play it whole in one sitting. It has some interesting combat setpieces thrown at the low lvl party with 15 point buy. Most of them are avoidable and there is no combat xp.
But I love pathfinder and season pass is dirt cheap in russian money. I do not think it is worth 13$ they ask for it outside of season pass.

Desiderius

Patron
By the way, short of Trickster with Perception trick, I don't think you can teach an AC Greater Trip to really benefit from AoOs. With normal Trip, the enemy should be dead before he gets a chance to get up and provoke an AoO.

Urban Hunter can give himself and his mount Greater Trip (or Lunge(!)) at lvl 12, 15, or 18 or any of the other Greater CMs.

I did Urban Hunter with Lann and ended up a little short on Feats but it should get there with melee I think. But yeah if you want Swift teleport that's Divine Hunter.

Desiderius

Patron
OK, fired up a Divine Hunter and discovered that you get the Domain Spells from your Domain, which is a pretty big deal since Hunter is a Spontaneous casting class…

Travel gets Longstrider, Grace, Mass Feather, Mass Dimension Door (which will be amazing), Break Enchant, and Elemental Body III (Air) which won’t I don’t think. Will be interesting with unpossible Domain though.

You get the Domain right away, so Hop at level 8, but can’t Mount my Smilo until lvl 7 (unless Reduced, which not planning on). Might burn a Mythic to get Vulpine at 14. Should be interesting.

Animal Focus lets Smilo start at 16 STR. Keen Kitsune will let me handle Stealth and Trickery on MC. No Aru or Cam for this Aeon. Daredevil Smilo can’t be flanked starting at lvl 9.

Desiderius

Patron
And... Precise Companion (second level Hunter ability) isn't giving the Smilo Outflank.

Yeah, I'm waiting until this game is finished.

MC is getting it which is five levels early for 3/4 BAB class and you know free feats are good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom