Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Eh, you do get more uses as you level it up, so that's nice I guess.
Its just a really weird bug that doesn't make sense.
Its something I noticed about my Inquisitor/Hellknight that really confused me.

Parabalus

Arcane
I didn't quite expect a wolf shifter to be most effective against enemies immune to Prone...

Normally if an enemy is tripped, he gets the Prone status and cannot be tripped again untill he gets up.
Well, due to Owlcode you still roll a CMB check and, with Greater Trip, you get an AoO if you succeed. But the enemy does not get the Prone status.
Since all your attacks attempt trips (provided that the enemy is not Prone) - you loop AoO attacks untill the enemy is dead, you fail CMB or run out of AoOs.

On Tuesday I had the easiest and fastest Unfair Delvarra dragon fights yet...
Gee, and I thought you needed Kalkavus to break them.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I didn't quite expect a wolf shifter to be most effective against enemies immune to Prone...

Normally if an enemy is tripped, he gets the Prone status and cannot be tripped again untill he gets up.
Well, due to Owlcode you still roll a CMB check and, with Greater Trip, you get an AoO if you succeed. But the enemy does not get the Prone status.
Since all your attacks attempt trips (provided that the enemy is not Prone) - you loop AoO attacks untill the enemy is dead, you fail CMB or run out of AoOs.

On Tuesday I had the easiest and fastest Unfair Delvarra dragon fights yet...
Gee, and I thought you needed Kalkavus to break them.
Well, Kalavakus wolf under rage is broken versus everyone. Wolf shifters with Great Trip without Kalavakus are only broken versus enemies immune to Prone :troll:

Well, Kalavakus wolf under rage is broken versus everyone. Wolf shifters with Great Trip without Kalavakus are only broken versus enemies immune to Prone :troll:

Find a way to grant enemies immunity to prone, profit.

What happens with Kalavakus if enemy damage reduction consistently reduces your damage to zero? Does the game just lock up in infinite looped attacks? I guess you'd normally roll a 1 on your trip eventually stopping the loop, but there are ways to avoid that.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Tough to check. Enemies generally don't have that kind of DR. Maybe except for those crystals... and swarms immune to physical attacks (when you're not using Swarmbane Clasp or Bane of Spirit).

ExistingRug61

Barely Literate
So with the change to spirited charge only applying to the first hit of a charge would that still be worth taking for twf mounted dex build given the damage comes from stacking procs on each attack vs making individual big attacks?
I planning to do a replay using as a mounted (raptor) sanctified slayer/aeon similar to what Haplo has posted about which included it but that was from before the spirited charge change so I am wondering if there may be something more beneficial I could take instead.

And also whether it is worth the feat investment to get Mounted Skirmisher (TTT) given most of the time full attacks should be possible anyway due to from charging with pounce and/or teleporting?

Spirited Charge will (or at least should from my testing) apply to the procs on your attacks, so maybe? Obviously a lot depends on how lax you can be on feat selection, TWF is already very feat heavy though and your class doesn't get a lot of extra feats so I'd say probably not worth it if you're only getting 1, maybe 2 charge hits in per battle.

Don't play TTT, but Mounted Skirmisher sounds like exactly what you always have in Vanilla? Did TTT nerf mounts and force you to take a feat to get full attacks back or am I missing something? If so then I'd consider that feat practically essential since even a chance of bad enemy placement causing the loss of a full attack action, or being forced to take a full attack on a suboptimal target, is horrendous for your damage output. You always want to be in the best location where you can kill the most deadly enemy and then get iteratives/cleaves on something else.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
So with the change to spirited charge only applying to the first hit of a charge would that still be worth taking for twf mounted dex build given the damage comes from stacking procs on each attack vs making individual big attacks?
I planning to do a replay using as a mounted (raptor) sanctified slayer/aeon similar to what Haplo has posted about which included it but that was from before the spirited charge change so I am wondering if there may be something more beneficial I could take instead.

And also whether it is worth the feat investment to get Mounted Skirmisher (TTT) given most of the time full attacks should be possible anyway due to from charging with pounce and/or teleporting?
Well, Spirited Charge is still a godsend early.
But to be honest, after I've respecced my character (to pick Trick Riding and Mounted Skirmisher among other changes), I've only re-picked it very late.

Yes, Mounted Skirmisher is still very good, you're not always able to charge typically. And there are 3 areas where teleporting is blocked.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So it seems that the AI will indeed ignore your MC when he's on a mount. Which means that they will then attack someone squishy on your team, because the AI follows a certain target priority.
So yeah, if you want to tank with your MC, don't put him on a mount.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
...or intercept and Crowd Control enemies.

Also passing by your MC, means he and his mount (that can potentially trip) will get AoOs.

Yosharian

Arcane
You need a dedicated tank that isn't mounted, if you want to attempt to tank in the traditional sense in this game. But you should be aware that many enemies ignore tanks, or they are apt to lose interest in your tank after a while. Also, enemies WILL target your mount, it's just that it isn't as high a priority as other targets, at least initially.

Also for your mounted character, you should plan for the eventuality that their mount will be killed, e.g. Last Stand is a good pick

leuMOX

Literate
So it seems that the AI will indeed ignore your MC when he's on a mount. Which means that they will then attack someone squishy on your team, because the AI follows a certain target priority.
So yeah, if you want to tank with your MC, don't put him on a mount.
I feel like at this point, with years of development experience, it's bugs like these that add to the experience of Owlcat Games.
"What dumb non-sensical bug will happen here?! Let's find out!"

Bethesda energy.

Can't wait for Rogue Trader.

Parabalus

Arcane

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So I killed Playful Darkness.
It was pretty rough.
Creeping Doom didn't draw aggro, so I basically had to drag him around the cave. First turn he charged and killed my mount, then tried killing Cam. Basically none of my defensive buffs worked, so I had to heal. Greater Dispel kind of worked, but eventually I started using Evil Eye AC to drop his defenses.
Stat damage does work him though, so Wracking Ray was pretty helpful. Eventually his defenses were brought low enough for Lann to start dropping his health, and Sosiel hit him with a pillar of light and channels.
Woljif died though after I tried using him to take the heat off of Cam. I thought Mirror Image and Displacement would keep him alive, but of course PD has stupidly high accuracy and killed him.
Had to use a scale on him to get him back, Breath of Life didn't heal him enough to return him and I had no Raise Dead Scrolls on me.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
...or intercept and Crowd Control enemies.

Also passing by your MC, means he and his mount (that can potentially trip) will get AoOs.
My mount doesn't have trip though. Can Bulwark Triceratops even trip?
No, he can't. Possibly due to a bug, as Bismuth figurine does Trip AFAIR.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom