Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah no, I think I have to come back later. It just ignores my summons and kills my party members in a single turn. It just instantly downs my MC's mount, even with displacement and other buffs.
I tried blocking the cave with monsters, but it just runs past them.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Yeah no, I think I have to come back later. It just ignores my summons and kills my party members in a single turn. It just instantly downs my MC's mount, even with displacement and other buffs.

Did you cast your summons before aggro the boss? If you do that afterwards, it's often too late.

Yosharian

Arcane
Who are you fighting? Playful Darkness?

Yosharian

Arcane
OK I see that you are fighting PD. Yes he will ignore summons to a certain point, but here are some strategies that I found worked on him. This was on Unfair but without the 2x crit multiplier.

1. SWAMP him with summons. Like, fill his entire local area with skeletons. He MAY ignore them at times but it will help to get his attention.
2. Deny his ability to charge - his charges are what really destroys targets. Use as many Selective Siroccos as you can on his position in order to exhaust him so that he can't charge anymore. Charging is what allows his AI to ignore local targets and pursue backliners, he really doesn't want to lose his full attack iteratives.
3. Try to get him to target a character with the mythic ability that gives them a couple of turns of immortality. They will eventually die but this will buy you a lot of time. Remember that the arcane spell 'Blink' isn't bypassed by any form of True Seeing or similar ability, so its very useful to deny his attacks.
4. Debuff him, this is extremely important. Use the glasses that give you a natural 20 on your dispel roll. You can have two of these per fight if you use the ability on the desired character, THEN rest - the ability will stick, and you have a use of the item left.
5. At the start of the fight, try to use line-of-sight to stop him from charging your squishy characters, I had limited success with this but eventually he charged my tank instead of my backline.
6. Use REACH to discourage him from attacking your main character and any other important damage dealers. By swamping him with skellies, he may frequently choose to attack them instead of your reach character. Lunge is absolutely clutch here, and obviously you can use reach weapons.
7. Use as many AC-lowering debuffs as you can, such as hexes. Works well together with Jinx.

He is very defeatable even on the higher difficulties, you just have to really bring your A-game.

playfuldarkness.jpg

You can of course choose to use swarm strategies on him such as Creeping Doom, this is basically cheating IMO because the swarms are immune to his damage, but whatever, fight cheese with cheese I guess.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Did you cast your summons before aggro the boss? If you do that afterwards, it's often too late.
Nah, I cast it before the fight. He still just runs past them.

Parabalus

Arcane
OK I see that you are fighting PD. Yes he will ignore summons to a certain point, but here are some strategies that I found worked on him. This was on Unfair but without the 2x crit multiplier.

1. SWAMP him with summons. Like, fill his entire local area with skeletons. He MAY ignore them at times but it will help to get his attention.
2. Deny his ability to charge - his charges are what really destroys targets. Use as many Selective Siroccos as you can on his position in order to exhaust him so that he can't charge anymore. Charging is what allows his AI to ignore local targets and pursue backliners, he really doesn't want to lose his full attack iteratives.
3. Try to get him to target a character with the mythic ability that gives them a couple of turns of immortality. They will eventually die but this will buy you a lot of time. Remember that the arcane spell 'Blink' isn't bypassed by any form of True Seeing or similar ability, so its very useful to deny his attacks.
4. Debuff him, this is extremely important. Use the glasses that give you a natural 20 on your dispel roll. You can have two of these per fight if you use the ability on the desired character, THEN rest - the ability will stick, and you have a use of the item left.
5. At the start of the fight, try to use line-of-sight to stop him from charging your squishy characters, I had limited success with this but eventually he charged my tank instead of my backline.
6. Use REACH to discourage him from attacking your main character and any other important damage dealers. By swamping him with skellies, he may frequently choose to attack them instead of your reach character. Lunge is absolutely clutch here, and obviously you can use reach weapons.
7. Use as many AC-lowering debuffs as you can, such as hexes. Works well together with Jinx.

He is very defeatable even on the higher difficulties, you just have to really bring your A-game.

playfuldarkness.jpg

You can of course choose to use swarm strategies on him such as Creeping Doom, this is basically cheating IMO because the swarms are immune to his damage, but whatever, fight cheese with cheese I guess.
What are the buffs on Jinx?

The +5, +4 and +2 (weapon inherit I guess)?

Unfortunately Spirited Charge really is just buggy, and while I keep thinking I've found out what causes it to not work I then find I can't actually reproduce it not working once I've gone to another area. But whenever you notice it stopped working you need to dismount and mount again to get it working. Ends up being really annoying and kind of killing my enthusiasm for charging now.
This is a good summary and has been my experience as well - it's great for killing bosses, and in TB in general, but is just too much work for too little benefit otherwise - easier to let the pet carry you to full attacks.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You can come back whenever in Act 4 (before going for the mines). Maybe even at the start of Act 5, but not sure.
Typically I finish Act 3, instantly reach Mythic Rank 5, reach level 15, if I haven't before. And head back via the Nexus portal to defeat it.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Did some testing on current patch to be sure of exactly what works and what doesn't.

Most bonuses: Proc for each hit in attack. Obviously didn't test them all but it works with Living Ram and Devastating Blow from Above. With both if you have 4 attacks they'll deal 4x 1d4 and 4x 1d6 procs

Mythic Charge: Applies to all individual procs of damage during charge action. So with Living Ram and Devastating Blow from Above and 4 attacks you're getting 12x d6 mythic rank damage, and its divine so hard/impossible to soak. Might be a reason to go dual wield for massive amounts of attacks, but at the same time you're probably overkilling so hard that you'd rather have range so your follow ups can hit other things further away.
Heh, before the Mythic Charge damage entry was separate. Don't think the Devs intended it to be rolled multiple times per hit, when they rolled it into other damage instances.
TTT fixes this nowadays, with all those added instances rolled together - not just Mythic Charge.
Spirited Charge and Spear inherent x2 multiplier: Applies only to first hit, seems to sporadically apply to all procs in that hit. For some reason I can get 3x on the normal hit, the additional proc from Devastating Blow from Above, but only 2x on the Living Ram proc. Might be useful late game, even without pounce getting 30d6 mythic charge damage upgraded to 60-90d6 mythic charge damage is a big deal, and there's more items that'd work to supply procs.

That's what I thought. But thank you for confirming.
As for Charge damage multipliers affecting the extra damage procs, particularly Mythic Charge, critical hits used to affect them as well. If that's still the case, then again, you might be getting more crits per round, then spear extra damage procs (potentially higher multiplier too - although it ignored Mythic Improved Critical and such).

Used to be quite glorious.
DD71CDDE3A5C83C881B8FC74C90CC5DB60B60A74
Unfortunately Spirited Charge really is just buggy, and while I keep thinking I've found out what causes it to not work I then find I can't actually reproduce it not working once I've gone to another area. But whenever you notice it stopped working you need to dismount and mount again to get it working. Ends up being really annoying and kind of killing my enthusiasm for charging now.
Well, Choorging's been a bumpy ride for sure. There were a couple of months were it was quite reliable, but one of the recent patches seems to have broken stuff again.

For more reliability, I always recommend non-reach weapons (I had really bad experiences with those a long time ago) and medium sized mounts.

Yosharian

Arcane
From my Steam page:

Melee Attack Bonus Breakdown:
+16: Base Attack Bonus
+22: Strength bonus
+2: Inherent (Demongraft)
+4: Insight (The Bound of Possibility)
+2: Circumstance (Half of the Pair)
+5: Enhancement (Weapon enhancement)
+4: Polymorph Enhancement (Shroud of the Eternal Hunter)
+8: Morale (Greater Heroism, doubled by ring)
+6: Competence (Lethal Stance, allied Skald)
+3: Luck (Favor of the Gods, lategame Crusade bonus)
+6: Untyped (Enforcing Gaze - Attack)
+1: Untyped (Weapon Focus)
+2: Untyped (Haste spell, doubled by boots)
+1: Untyped (Haste effect from Skald 20, stacks with Haste)
+3: Untyped (Inspired Rage, allied Skald)
+2: Untyped (Call to Violence, worn by ally)
-5: Penalty (Power Attack)
Non-Conditional Melee Attack Bonus: 82
Conditional:
+2: Untyped (Favored Enemy - Evil Outsiders/Undead)
+4: Untyped (Outflank feat + Flanking bonus)
+2: Concealment (Greater Invisibility)
+6: Untyped (Hat of the Bitter End, on-kill, stacks up to 3x)
+10: Untyped (Ever Ready, only on AOOs)
+2: Morale (Braggart, only vs Shaken targets, stacks with Heroism)
Activated:
+12: Untyped (Smite Evil)
+12: Untyped (Smite Chaos)
+3: Luck (Divine Power - additional to Favor of the Gods)
+4: Bane Enhancement (Aeon Bane)
Total Maximum Melee Attack Bonus: 129 (+10 AOO)

The 'buffs on Jinx' are Bane and Polymorph Enhancement

I believe at this point Greater Magic Weapon was still stacking weirdly with base enhancements, maybe they fixed that now

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

The +5, +4 and +2 (weapon inherit I guess)?

If I were to guess: +2 is Bane, +5 is weapon Enchantment with the old bugged GMW and +4 is the old, bugged Shroud of Eternal Hunger shirt bonus.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
+4 is the old, bugged Shroud of Eternal Hunger shirt bonus
Wat
Yes, doubly so:
1. Its only supposed to work with natural weapons (my shifter likes it).
2. Its Enchantment bonus, so should not stack with existing Enchantment bonuses on weapons.

Anyway, this no longer works/stacks in my game version. Not sure that's due to a patch or a TTT fix.

Yosharian

Arcane
+4 is the old, bugged Shroud of Eternal Hunger shirt bonus
Wat
Yes, doubly so:
1. Its only supposed to work with natural weapons (my shifter likes it).
2. Its Enchantment bonus, so should not stack with existing Enchantment bonuses on weapons.

Anyway, this no longer works/stacks in my game version. Not sure that's due to a patch or a TTT fix.
I am pretty certain that's because of TTT. It is not fixed in the base game. Your wording implied that it was.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
It occurred to me that I probably should have started giving Nenio levels in Loremaster.
Fluffwise it fits her and Scroll Savant doesn't really seem to do anything anyway after Level 10, whereas with Lore Master you get 10 levels of abilities and retain wizard spell progression. You don't even lose out on the wizard bonus feats because the Lore Master gets those too and more.

Oh well, maybe next run.

Is it worth making Woljif an Arcane Trickster? I vaguely remember that being recommended for Octavia in Kingmaker, but I don't know if its the same case for Woljif.
I kept him as a pure Eldritch Scoundrel because I don't know what to do with him and I figured that would be the safest option.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is it worth making Woljif an Arcane Trickster? I vaguely remember that being recommended for Octavia in Kingmaker, but I don't know if its the same case for Woljif.

Eldritch Scoundrel already has many of the same bonuses, so I'd probably argue not.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Eldritch Scoundrel already has many of the same bonuses, so I'd probably argue not.
That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if it would be redundant or complementary.
It's a good thing I kept him single class then, because I was really tempted to make him one.

scytheavatar

Scholar
I kept him as a pure Eldritch Scoundrel because I don't know what to do with him and I figured that would be the safest option.

Sneak attacks in general suck in WOTR compared to Kingmaker, cause the damage ceiling is much higher and 10-60 damage amounts to little by endgame. When enemies have close to 1000 health. For casters you are better off getting your damage from stacking the +x to damage rolls that Bolster spells and dragon bloodlines give (and gear). For melee you are better off making builds that fish for crits and increase crit damage.

Woljif is not a terrific character, since he is a dex melee character and dex melee in general sucks. That said Eldritch Scoundrel is not a weak class, and keeping pure Eldritch Scoundrel isn't an awful option.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Woljif is not a terrific character, since he is a dex melee character and dex melee in general sucks. That said Eldritch Scoundrel is not a weak class, and keeping pure Eldritch Scoundrel isn't an awful option.

That is a huge mistake. Dex melees are very strong in Wrath.

Woljif is very flexible, can be built for many roles. Could even be a dedicated caster. ES is okay. But he also makes great Vivsectionists, Sword Saints, Arcane Riders...
I remember one power gamer on Discord joking that Woljif repeatedly puts his MC to shame vs the tougher bosses (largely due to magus' Dimension Strike Arcana).

He's one of the best and most flexible companions, really.

scytheavatar

Scholar

Woljif is very flexible, can be built for many roles. Could even be a dedicated caster. ES is okay. But he also makes great Vivsectionists, Sword Saints, Arcane Riders...
I remember one power gamer on Discord joking that Woljif repeatedly puts his MC to shame vs the tougher bosses (largely due to magus' Dimension Strike Arcana).

Dex melee sucks compared to str melee, which is way stronger without the feat tax. And being flexible is not a good thing in this game cause this game rewards specialization due to the mythic feats/powers.

Dimension Strike is awesome but you can't get it until lvl 12, lvl 13 with 1 more ES level.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
If you like the game, then none of its content is "wasting time". If you perceive anything as "wasting time," go play something else.

Seriously, those Westerners and their "time management"...
Hammering my head against the wall to kill an optional enemy that might be intended to be fought with a higher level party is certainly a waste of time.
Because it is a puzzle. You have all the necessary information to solve the puzzle: the enemies' characteristics and abilities, your party's abilities and spells, and so on. Then, using the appendage to which you eat, you solve the puzzle, beat the boss, get some dopamine, some knowledge, and delay Alzheimer's by a day.

And then go to another boss.

I like it very much. Also, as you have already seen in a dozen comments above that one, several people have already solved this puzzle, gotten their shot of chemical happiness, and moved on.

Swarms are another puzzle. Just FYI.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So something weird happened with the Durrazand fight.
Regil got knocked down and I healed him a little. When I moved him he got hit by an attack of opportunity...from my Main Character. Who was not dominated or confused.
I thought it might have been an effect of Craving Maw, but when I looked at it it said nothing about friendly fire.

What else could make a character do AoO against friendlies?

Also real time is pretty unreliable. Some abilities just wouldn't go off until I activated TB mode.
They really should have made tactical time flow a toggle rather than a hold. Or just have a time button.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Dex melee sucks compared to str melee, which is way stronger without the feat tax. And being flexible is not a good thing in this game cause this game rewards specialization due to the mythic feats/powers.
It does not, though. Dex has a little less damage - though in vanilla the difference isn't even big, as you can stack Dex bonus from Reduce Person with dice increase from Legendary Proportions/Frightful Aspect - but more Initiative, AC & Reflex. Dex characters also have an easier time mounting their pets and can Charge much more reliably with smaller size. So Dex characters can often kill enemies before they even get to act.
Strenght weapons tend to be stronger, but Dex characters can use them too in Wrath with 5 fighter levels and Fighter's Finesse.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Prescient Attack is basically budget-Dimension Strike and you can get it much earlier
So is Arcane Accuracy. And Prescient doesn't do much if you use Shatter Defenses or are Invisible to the enemies. Still, Eldritch Archers need to make do with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom