Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
While I appreciate your enthusiasm for an RPG, albeit one that I gave up personal interest in months ago, I can't help but cringe a little at the lengths you're going through to "tackle the final boss", which I can only interpret as a statement that you couldn't with your original party.

That causes me to cringe a little in two ways, actually; WotR suffers from ridiculous balancing issues at times, and thus encourages -- even requires -- absolute munchkinism as evidenced in your new party plans to deal with it as opposed to maintaining a healthy level of respect for a good yet *fair* challenge to the player.

In this case, 'meh' = my feelings for the game and what you're having to do to complete it.

Is that clear enough, Juan?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I feel similarly to King Crispy.
Re-building the party just for the final boss? What a bizzare idea!

Even moreso that you have some weird choices there.
  • Paladin (Seelah replacement): Longsword + Tower shield, mounted
Umm, why?!

• Sensei (Soseil Replacement): Unarmed, Vital Strike Focus, with Max WIS for Guarded Hearth. Will have blind fight when I get my final mythic.
A Sensei doesn't have access to Guarded Hearth. A cleric doesn't progress Unarmed damage. Have trouble understanding what was your intent here.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
You don't identify Finnean when you do that...when did you encounter this bug?

Fuck if I remember, but it definitely used to work because I remember cheesing it until I got some anti-dragon bonus to help with the other dragon in act 3.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Yeah, isn't the towershield just rubbish in WoTR? It weighs so much, requires a feat and doesn't even give you that much AC.
In general, yeah. Also I think there are unique heavy shields with more interesting properties (like some decent auras). Plus you can shield bash with them.

Overall, I firmy believe that using any shield while mounted is bad. A big part of the attractiveness of mounted combat is that you can generally ignore defenses and fully focus on offence instead (can pick mounted combat & indomitable mount with decent Mobility to protect the mount, though).

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, which is a pity, because mounted heavy knights are cool. Apparently mounts as less OP on the table top because the rider can still be attacked normally.
I think in subsequent playthroughs I won't use mounts. Pets sure, but not mounts. They're a little too jank for me and kind of OP.
Well, except for Azata because apparently you get a dragon you can ride. I might as well build for a mount then.

What sort of playstyle fits Azata anyway?

Angel is great for divine casters, especially full ones
Lich is great for arcane casters, especially full ones
Aeon is great for support and has a lot of swift actions, and if you go inquisitor you get a stupid amount of bane charges so you can basically have it on every fight.

So what is Azata, Demon and Trickster good at?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Trickster is great with physical damage dealers, Azata is great for versatility, and Demon is great for quitting in frustration when your rage runs out again.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Angel is great for divine casters, especially full ones
But also martial focused parties, and also parties with multi-ray blasters, such as Battering Blast (SunMarked!)
Lich is great for arcane casters, especially full ones
But also gishes (!) and tanks. Its actually better for gishes then dedicated DC casters.
Aeon is great for support and has a lot of swift actions, and if you go inquisitor you get a stupid amount of bane charges so you can basically have it on every fight.
Well, all kinds of martials benefit, really. Archers perhaps the most, considering their AB deficiency and lack of ability to use Crusader's Edge. Can work okay for mutli-ray casters.

So what is Azata, Demon and Trickster good at?

Azata and demon are the strongest paths for dedicated DC casters and blasters. Demon peaks higher, but is limited to shorther bursts. Also doesn't support Charisma casters that well.
Demon is also one of the strongest paths for martial characters, particularly chargers, users of Combat Maneuvers and Vital Strikers. Plus Earth Kineticists.
Azata makes the best Eldritch Archers. Late game passable martial performance with the DLC3 ring - but late, plain and unimpressive. Note you need Reduce Person to ride Aivu before late game.

Trickster generally is the martial powerhouse. And vanilla Trickster shares that with the rest of the party. Vanilla Trickster special Perception 2 critical feats make critical hit rates and damages skyrocket - and enable crazy critsplosions with the teamwork crit feats (mainly Outflank). Also makes ray casters much more deadly. Completely Normal Spell makes spell slot management in the party far easier and better plus allows easier application of other metamagics to make one's spells stronger. Doesn't do much for DC casters, though.

Mobility 2 Trickster with proper focus dominates most encounters on his own with 20++ attacks of Opportunity vs flat footed enemies. Later on, Persuasion 3 puts the game on autopilot (and before that, Persuasion 1 is the best method to make enemies Shaken or Feared). Other Tricks offer some nifty things as well (if not as game-changing). Like Trickery dispells or UMD3 full wizard spellbook.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Azata makes an extremely powerful blaster caster, possibly the strongest in the game
Eh, its still not as good as Storm of Justice spam. Requires investments and comes online later too.
But yeah, Azatas make pretty cool dedicated casters.

Delterius

Arcane
Isn't Trickster the Lol Random path though? How does it benefit physical damage dealers?
It's not and it's arguably the second best for physical fighters. Legend is only better because it can use all of Trickster powers. Ie the secret feats.

If you can build around using a weapon to kill people then you can hyper crit all the time and one shot most enemies. This includes blasters who use rays. More importantly this is a boost for the whole party, not just you.

Trickster is not the lol random path, even narratively. It literally looks at the camera and explains its motivations for everything it does. To understand Trickster, take a second look at the Trickster option when talking to Nurah.
Doesn't do much for DC casters, though.
God I wish you could make an enchantment trickster. But I guess that will forever be the realm of Demon and Devilzata.

Yosharian

Arcane
Demon into Legend is very thematic, especially if you romance Arue, but it doesn't offer much in the mechanical sense AFAIK, I think you lose nearly all your powers

Trickster is just a meme path but it is probably the most powerful Legend option

Problem is Legend is mostly at the end of the game and isn't really as good as just sticking with your path except for a few specific builds

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Yeah but come on, Angel is basically a cheat code
Nuker oracle angel - yes.
Its not the only type of angel that can be played :)

...also there's Persuasion 3 Trickster ;)
...and Trick Fate with Completely Normal Spell

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Isn't Trickster the Lol Random path though? How does it benefit physical damage dealers?
It's not and it's arguably the second best for physical fighters. Legend is only better because it can use all of Trickster powers. Ie the secret feats.
Its not 2nd best. Legend is not better when Trick Fate exists.
Plus it cannot touch a Mobility Trickster's number of attacks or... battlefield Mobility.

I'd even rate martial Aeon higher to be honest (end game, when Legend becomes available). Enemies are quite helpless against it.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Can you gish as a full arcane caster as Lich? I like spellswords, but the magus caps out at level 6 spells.

Yes. Generally you use 10 levels of Eldritch Knight Prestige Class for this (Full BAB). Can also dip 3 levels in Hellknight Signifier (if you want to wear armor) or 4 in Dragon Disciple + 1 Scaled Fist (if Sorc Cha based and without armor).
Can be of wizard, sorcerer, arcanist or even witch flavour. Though Arcanist's limited memorized spell slots would be very painful in vanilla.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
What does EK do that HKS doesn't? Doesn't HKS give you a bunch of resistances and immunities?
Full BAB, bonus feats, access to fighter restricted feats, free Quickened spell (or spell effect proc, like Move trough Space to freely teleport) when you score a crit...
HKS has comparatively very low value - its only use is getting rid of Arcane Spell Failure from wearing armor.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Trickster is, ironically, the least "random" path and there is an excellent synergy in his kit.

I never tried Legend, does BAB stack when you get Legend, or how does that work?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom