Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Tyrr

Liturgist
Is there a spell to protect against ability/stat drain? Got these shadow bastards that keep draining my frontline fighter like she was a can of coke.
Angel spells like ward against harm work. Death ward also works against shadows, but I think just with the level drain.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there a spell to protect against ability/stat drain? Got these shadow bastards that keep draining my frontline fighter like she was a can of coke.

By the time you got them you ain't facing those Shadows no more unfortunately

I think somewhere by end of Chapter 3 dungeon you get to fight some of them again and you should have Death Ward by then, but Chapter 1 Shadows are just part of the "fun"

Just buy resotration scrolls and cast them in town

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, resorted to that. I'm the number one buyer of prime-quality restoration scrolls in the city. Probably keeping the restoration business afloat all by myself. I think I might have actually expanded their enterprise.

I should add that I'm playing the new dlc. So much draining going on overall.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Got these shadow bastards that keep draining my frontline fighter like she was a can of coke.

20231124_171441.gif

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

I think somewhere by end of Chapter 3 dungeon you get to fight some of them again and you should have Death Ward by then, but Chapter 1 Shadows are just part of the "fun"

Don’t buy Restoration Scrolls. There are several items that are good for the rest of the game for you to spend your cash on and lvl 4 scrolls are expensive.

Look at it as a good opportunity to start sucking less.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

Don’t buy Restoration Scrolls. There are several items that are good for the rest of the game for you to spend your cash on and lvl 4 scrolls are expensive.

Look at it as a good opportunity to start sucking less.

There is not so much you can do at Level 3/4. Sure I can Leopard cheese it or just tank using Pet but not every playthrough will have one

Playing normally even if you use CC spells there are big chance you are going to get hit by the Shadows, even when spamming Protective Luck + Cackle or something

It's not that you are facing 1 - 2 shadows either but like 8 of them in that middle part of the map? And they are located in mid of the map where you most likely have expended resources.

Another solution is just to rest and let the attribute drain solve itself, but if you are going to Tavern fight with -8 STR, better buy a Lesser Restoration and eat it

Desiderius

Patron
It's in the NE and no quests send you there.

Seriously, why are people so determined to fight stuff with no quests, limited rewards, and that they have no interest in investing the mental energy into figuring out? Watch your combat log and don't send sheep into the slaughter against them.

There's 3 Lessers and 2 regulars there max, and any number of ways to avoid getting drained by them. Use Wolj Illusion Magic to tank them, summon something for them to attack, pick up Daeran to Channel them down and have Ember burn them or Enlarged Lann shoot them etc. Buff Wolj DEX and Reduce him to raise his Touch AC.

If you want to kill the Nabasu for the 300 EXP and to get its Amulet *which sells for 7k* then you do need to kill the Necromancer past the Shadows before Defense. Necro himself drops Dark Horn, which is a Cold Iron Glaive which can be important since Marching Terror isn't, and it adds an extra 1d3 Negative.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
There's 3 Lessers and 2 regulars there max

100% there are more than 5 I am pretty sure. And not ghoul but zombies or something. That fight is one of the most crowded you can get in the Market.

There's 3 Lessers and 2 regulars there max, and any number of ways to avoid getting drained by them. Use Wolj Illusion Magic to tank them, summon something for them to attack, pick up Daeran to Channel them down and have Ember burn them or Enlarged Lann shoot them etc. Buff Wolj DEX and Reduce him to raise his Touch AC

Even with all of this, there are pretty big chance that anybody in melee gonna get hit, even Woljiv being reduced. And if you are unlucky enough that 1 hit gonna sap you for 3 STR and very likely even more

The best strategy is indeed using Daeran just to spam Channel to kill them but most people arriving there, without meta knowledge will unlikely be saving all those channel energy. Even with meta-knowledge, you are pressed to reduce rest as much as possible to unlock stuff before tavern attack as environment do change after tavern attack. Including killing necromancer to get to the nabasu later.

That being said, as you said, the fight is optional and is not in critical path. But if you decide to do it with all the constraint of pre Tavern fight it might come at cost of lesser restoration scroll. Or maybe you go on through if its Woljiff with -6STR and go to tavern fight slightly weaker

Desiderius

Patron
Haven't had to buy one in a long time. There's a Lesser Shadow in the Graveyard fight to give you a preview that does temporary drain.

It's enough to teach you not to try to tank it with Armored characters since Touch is good against them. Then if you decide to keep going you should at least be leading with your DEX-based which gives you a better chance, and Wolj has Mirror Image as well.

Likewise it takes a turn or so for them to arrive on the scene, which gives you a chance to focus on them with ranged attax.

even Woljiv being reduced

Shoudn't with Reduce and Cat's Grace up and Fighting Defensively giving him another 3. Mage Armor works against Touch? Can't remember. Pretty sure they're immune to Sneaks so no reason not to just tank with him. Nenio can add Displacement at lvl 5.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Order of the Paw Cav says it gives your mount (restricted to Dog/Wolf) +4 to Bull Rush and Overrun at level 8 (Canine Ferocity):

Order of the Paw.jpg

But since Overrun isn't in game it gives to bonus to Trip instead, which Dog/Wolf gets free with Bite:

Ferocity.jpg

Bully archetype gives Trip and Bull Rush Feats, unlocking Fury's Fall and Tandem Trip

(above is Core unbuffed)

Mount can get Greater Bull Rush, which triggers AoOs for Team.

Paw Rush.jpgPaw AoO.jpg

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Hmm, I just remembered trying halfing rider before and it had some annoying af visual bugs when sitting on a pet.

Desiderius

Patron
Hmm, I just remembered trying halfing rider before and it had some annoying af visual bugs when sitting on a pet.
Haven’t noticed any so far in very limited testing. It’s pretty small so hard to tell. They put some significant resources into finally implementing the Cavalier class and fixing visuals so probably something that was looked at.

Recommend Tabletop Tweaks for Chain Challenge Feat, although I guess there’s enough for bosses anyway which is where it’s needed. Mount gets +1 Dodge AC scaling up at lvl 4/8/12 etc vs Challenged foe.

Make sure to toggle on the free Trip + Bull Rush on Mighty Charge if you’re testing. I had forgotten to.

Order of the Paw:

Challenge gives scaling Dodge AC to Mount

Lvl 2: Failed save gets reroll +4 Competence AoE, activated ability 3/day one minute duration

Lvl 8: Free Mounted Combat Feat, Mount gets +4 untyped AB on Trip/Bull Rush (Dog/Wolf gets free Trip on Bite)

Lvl 15: + lvl/2 damage vs Large opponents and above

Last edited:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Shouldn't the new lesser animate dead helps with the shadows in the market area? Idk if you can let Daeran learn the spell.

Desiderius

Patron
Call me retarded all you want but you'd think the crank up the difficulty crew would at least pay attention to what they're fighting, why, and what kind of attacks you're facing instead of just Leeroy Jenkinsing averything.

Pick a lane.

Desiderius

Patron
In RTwP best way to activate Challenge is mid-Charge. Similar to Smite on Paladin.

Activate Charge then Pause, which allows you to activate Challenge as a Swift action so it applies before you arrive.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Shouldn't the new lesser animate dead helps with the shadows in the market area? Idk if you can let Daeran learn the spell.

If you go there at Level 3 you have no choice but to deal with it with whatever you have.

The Shadows is not really a problem if you go there much later at Level 5 after Tavern attack. But doing it the first time it is available to you is the challenging part.

Desiderius

Patron
It can be a little iffy to hit lvl 4 by then if you don’t game the early exp, but you get a good bit of experience simply leaving it for last at Market.

Doesn’t make sense to fight stuff that isn’t part of a quest if you’re playing blind in any event. Most early EXP is quest-based.

Once you know what you’re doing you can go get Daeran and clear Cam’s house to get Wolj to lvl 4 first.

Or simply use your cheap consumables you already have. It’s what they’re for. In any event “just tank Touch Attacks with your Fighter and blow your cash on Resto scrolls” is the wrong answer.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Call me retarded all you want but you'd think the crank up the difficulty crew would at least pay attention to what they're fighting, why, and what kind of attacks you're facing instead of just Leeroy Jenkinsing averything.

Pick a lane.
Can't they rather make OP build?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
“just tank Touch Attacks with your Fighter and blow your cash on Resto scrolls” is the wrong answer.
even if you reduce + cat grace woljiff, in Core, there still a lot of chance that the guy going to get hit

at Hard he is definitely getting hit

Doesn’t make sense to fight stuff that isn’t part of a quest if you’re playing blind in any event. Most early EXP is quest-based.

well we do know that it is not part of any quest (or precisely the area behind the Shadows are not part of any quest) but in the end of the day there are big incentive to get it down as soon as possible considering time limit before Tavern attack

If you haven't triggered the Tavern attack doing it at Level 4 is probably easier but it requires optimizing where to visit before Tavern fight

Longes

Augur
Okay, I've finished Lord of Nothing DLC for Wrath of the Righteous. 5/10. The ending is unintentionally funny, because you do your quest and the game goes "good job, but only the Commander is a Bad Enough Dude to defeat Sithhud" and throws you to the main menu. There's nothing egregiously bad about the DLC, but it's just four unconnected short dungeons. The story is nothing, the companions are nothing. Probably the toughest iteration of X Darkness bonus boss, because you are fighting a level 29 Oracle with a level 11 party. I ended the DLC level 12 with completionism, but there's not much in the way of side content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom