Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Tbf to Owlcat if they implemented the numbers 1:1 from the tabletop it would be piss easy, considering how high you can jack up your own stats.

WotR is obviously a balls-to-the-walls, nuts-to-butts, all-out D&D relentless power fantasy masturbation session and that's all well and good. Everything is supposed to be jacked up not to 11, but to fucking 110.

But a lot of those jacked up things are thrown at you at completely inappropriate times and they're so out of place it's ridiculous. I've already been crying about the fucking Dragon all day, so I won't go back to it.

But let's think of another example. Kenabres, Market Square. That encounter with 2-3 Specters in it.

Seriously, what the fuck were they thinking with that? Throwing multiple Level-Draining Specters at a motherfucking Level 3 Party? How are you even supposed to counter that? Which Class, at Level 3, has some Spell or Ability or whatever that can protect you from Level Drain? Which Class at that level has some ability to help you repair the Level damage afterwards, if by some miracle you manage to survive? None of 'em. Some genius actually thought it was a good idea to design an encounter against enemies that you literally could not possibly have any sort of counter against at that point in the game. Oh, you're thinking scrolls, maybe? Tough tits, you're dirt-poor at Level 3, maybe you can afford one Restoration Scroll, but that's about it. Suck it up and take that Level Drain, bitch.

Mojobeard

Augur
So smilodon and other animal companions with multiple natural attacks are still bugged? Nice game you got there.

Tsubutai

Educated
How Magical Vestment and Magical Vestment (Shield) work now:
  • They require the use of armor or a shield in order to activate, if you aren't wearing armor then you can't cast it
Huh, that's a pretty weird choice since the pnp rules explicitly state that they work on clothes.

Tsubutai

Educated
Tbf to Owlcat if they implemented the numbers 1:1 from the tabletop it would be piss easy, considering how high you can jack up your own stats.
Seriously, what the fuck were they thinking with that? Throwing multiple Level-Draining Specters at a motherfucking Level 3 Party? How are you even supposed to counter that? Which Class, at Level 3, has some Spell or Ability or whatever that can protect you from Level Drain?
The cleric vendor in the tavern sells scrolls of Death Ward, so you can use those to deal with that encounter.

Shadenuat

Arcane
How Magical Vestment and Magical Vestment (Shield) work now:
  • They require the use of armor or a shield in order to activate, if you aren't wearing armor then you can't cast it
Huh, that's a pretty weird choice since the pnp rules explicitly state that they work on clothes.
maybe to not allow daidre to buff her dog army?

my memory is bad on this one, but aren't those temporary level drains which pass in 24h?
as for scrolls, I remember stacking death ward and elemental protection scrolls to waltz through early content no prob

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Death Ward scrolls are expensive, but only the big bad Nabasu you have to actively seek out by going back to Market Square after Defending the tavern is a permanent threat.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
The cleric vendor in the tavern sells scrolls of Death Ward, so you can use those to deal with that encounter.
Oh if only your average Level 3 Party were rich enough to afford 2-3 of those Scrolls. I mean you do start shitting gold later on the game, but early on, buying a couple of scrolls with 4th Level Spells on them is usually not covered by your budget.

my memory is bad on this one, but aren't those temporary level drains which pass in 24h?

2-3 Specters, at least one successful (Melee Touch) Attack per round that drains a level per touch, against a Level 3 party. Your dudes are all gonna get Level Drained to death way before the temp negative levels expire, my dude. It's not like it's very difficult to do so, you only have to give them a grand total of 3 paltry Negative Levels. Because, you know, some motherfucking retard decided Level Drain is an appropriate challenge for a level 3 Party.

Desiderius

Patron

WotR is obviously a balls-to-the-walls, nuts-to-butts, all-out D&D relentless power fantasy masturbation session and that's all well and good. Everything is supposed to be jacked up not to 11, but to fucking 110.

But a lot of those jacked up things are thrown at you at completely inappropriate times and they're so out of place it's ridiculous. I've already been crying about the fucking Dragon all day, so I won't go back to it.

But let's think of another example. Kenabres, Market Square. That encounter with 2-3 Specters in it.

Seriously, what the fuck were they thinking with that? Throwing multiple Level-Draining Specters at a motherfucking Level 3 Party? How are you even supposed to counter that? Which Class, at Level 3, has some Spell or Ability or whatever that can protect you from Level Drain? Which Class at that level has some ability to help you repair the Level damage afterwards, if by some miracle you manage to survive? None of 'em. Some genius actually thought it was a good idea to design an encounter against enemies that you literally could not possibly have any sort of counter against at that point in the game. Oh, you're thinking scrolls, maybe? Tough tits, you're dirt-poor at Level 3, maybe you can afford one Restoration Scroll, but that's about it. Suck it up and take that Level Drain, bitch.
Amazing the rationalizations people come up with because they’re too lazy to read their fucking Spellbook.

Guides? Lol, the guides suck if you’re reading those no wonder you don’t know anything.

Everything I know came from dying and learning how to die less. Let’s see stuff has high SR how do I get around that? Oh, Conj spells. Etc.

Desiderius

Patron
They’re Shadows not Specters and have very few HP. If your fights are lasting long enough for them to drain you to death turn down the difficulty until you learn how to suck less. And how are you only lvl three there? There’s no quest to that area, just come back when you’re higher level.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
2-3 Specters, at least one successful (Melee Touch) Attack per round that drains a level per touch, against a Level 3 party
I mean even from casual perspective, 1 enemy should die to your first round volley regardless as you press your awesome buttons. all these charges slay evuls or lann re-roll hits yandere ghost touch blade banalass magik missiles etc. another can kill your Dog or whatever pet you run, or your poor horse.
that leaves you with a few rounds to switch to last one and kill em.

the most dangerous thing there is the "optional" demon yeah I can see been butthurt trying to kill yourself on it.

Yosharian

Arcane
So smilodon and other animal companions with multiple natural attacks are still bugged? Nice game you got there.
Apparently you can use Legend Transformation to give certain pets 24 attacks per round because they get iteratives off multiple attacks

24-attack-per-round-pet.jpg

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I mean even from casual perspective, 1 enemy should die to your first round volley regardless as you press your awesome buttons

Lann shoots, I throw Magic Missile, Seelah hits, one ghost dude down. Next Round, two ghost dudes hit Seelah, Level drain her to death.

I guess I could've used some Summon scrolls as distractions or whatever, but I figured it's just not worth the bother because the encounter was simply retarded.

Desiderius

Patron
Oh

Amazing the rationalizations people come up with because they’re too lazy to read their fucking Spellbook.

What can I read in my Spellbook at level 3 to help me against Level Drain, Galaxy Brain? Please, enlighten me.

Ayo Humbaba , you're about to hear some 300-IQ shit here, grab some popcorn. :lol:
For fuck sake just Channel them down with Daeran or whatever. What are your other five clowns doing all this time, picking their noses? You should have a Wand of Burning Arc by then.

The question is why you expect to be able to faceroll the game on Unfair without putting any thought into it.

Desiderius

Patron
Perhaps one has to bother about victory to actually achieve any.

Well, I figured such an early game encounter could not possibly contain a reward that will be worth my time spent wrestling with the encounter designer's terminal mental retardation, so.... what's the point?
The point is that the Necromancer behind the Shadows has a good drop and you need to kill him to get to the Nabasu later that has a very good drop (even if you only sell it) and a good chunk of EXP.

But no reason to do that at lvl 3.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
For fuck sake, you guys, stop trying to defend inexcusably godawful, brain-dead RPG encounter design just to make yourselves look all cool and hardcore or whatever. :lol:

Shit design is just shit design, that's all there is to it.

Desiderius

Patron
Sucking less is fun. You should try it.

Seriously. Kind of the point of these games.

Tsubutai

Educated
Oh if only your average Level 3 Party were rich enough to afford 2-3 of those Scrolls. I mean you do start shitting gold later on the game, but early on, buying a couple of scrolls with 4th Level Spells on them is usually not covered by your budget.
It's been 8 months since I last played, so my memory's imperfect, but IIRC my party was at level 5 by that fight and I had enough gold to death ward the frontliners in both that fight and the optional nabasu battle without compromising on buying other gear or scrolls to help with some of the other annoying Kenabres fights.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
You ever wonder why no other D&D-inspired CRPG ever threw Level Drain at you at level 3? Because that shit is just terminally retarded, and it seems everyone except Owlcat and you guys knows it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
What's the difference between level drain or just them DPSing you through any other kind attack, even if it's touch?
It's same kind of monster you're supposed to burn through or avoid melee contact and such. Akin to say, bears with STR 18 00 and 3 attacks in BG.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
It's been 8 months since I last played, so my memory's imperfect, but IIRC my party was at level 5 by that fight and I had enough gold to death ward the frontliners in both that fight and the optional nabasu battle without compromising on buying other gear or scrolls to help with some of the other annoying Kenabres fights.

Perhaps the updates changed some things, but I explored every nook and cranny of Kenabres other than that idiotic fight, completed every single Side Quest, and I only got to level 5 at the very last couple of minutes of storming the Grey Garrison.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
What's the difference between level drain or just them DPSing you through any other kind attack, even if it's touch?

What other monster can use their regular attack to completely ignore your armor AC bonus and kill your dedicated full tank in 2 (almost guaranteed) hits?

What other monster requires you to immediately go back to a safe space and rest even if they hit you just once, and you have literally no way to heal it yourself, because unlike simply missing 5 HP after a normal monster's attack, even a single negative level is a huge deal when you're level 3?

Desiderius

Patron
Reduced Wolj has DEX to damage at lvl3 and reasonably high Touch AC (and Stunning Barrier lol -does that work on Undead?) with Image at lvl 4.

Lightning works well on Undead, and Cam gets Call at lvl 5, though she can also have DEX to dam and Ghost Touch by then.

Searing Touch is good vs Undead. It’s no Save. But Daeran can’t get it until lvl 6. His Channel should be decent or he can heal them to death.

Enlarge works well on Lann since he’s WIS to hit. Make sure to activate his Perfect Strike.

If your Sorc has Glitterdust I think that works on Undead. Oh wait Sorc doesn’t hit second level spells until lvl 4. Another reason to go Wiz.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom