Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Stoned Ape

Savant
If I want a ranged companion I just don't play Wolj. Losing Outflank + Crusader's Edge and adding another -2 from Spell Combat is a big deal, as is not getting to Hellfire even if I want him to do some range. My first Octavia build was R4/EA2 for the "extra" attack from Spell Combat but the biggest issue for both of them is landing the initial attack (and iteratives against things immune to Debilitating) since Rogue is a 3/4 class with no abilities that enhance AB. If you're Barraging you're not even using the AB help you could otherwise get from EA's ability to enhance it's weapon.

If a companion can do melee I want it there because Edge is so absurd in this setting and Outflank gives melee another +4 AB over ranged. I keep Lann and Aru ranged because they start out committed to that but their AB will always trail that on melee characters on combat logs so requires something to compensate for it. On Unfair Lann ZA is sometimes even reduced to crit-fishing, which he's pretty good at with Perfect Strike and Bless Weapon and a lot of chances from Flurry.

Your build like my initial one duplicates what he's already good at (damage) while exacerbating his main issue (AB) and wasting his initial Feats and abilities (TWF, Finesse, Finesse training) and the advantages of fighting in melee.
EA can choose Int bonus AB from Arcane Accuracy (in my game currently +7 with a +6 Int headband for Woljif), Prescient Attack to make the target lose its Dex bonus, or all arrows striking as ranged touch attacks with Dimension Strike. Any one of these can equal out the AB difference from missing Outflank (and in many cases beat it by a substantial margin).

Also, my front rank is already crowded enough without trying to squeeze another body in there. I have 4 melee fighters (Skeleton Vanguard Scimitar+Tower Shield, Lann Longsword+Shieldbash Crusader, Seelah Bardiche 2-hander Enlarged, and MC Sorc/EK Greatsword Frightful Aspect) and that is more than enough.

Additionally, EA doesn't have to travel around the map wasting most of its attacks moving between targets, so it can make a far greater number of full attacks (unless you have a skald on hand for the ET to pounce).

Eventually it will even get Bane arrows on top.

Sure, I waste 2 early feats, but I have more then enough available to make the build work from chapter 1 onward.

TL;DR From having used both, I find the archer far more useful in practice.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://owlcat.games/news/73

PRE-ORDER PATHFINDER: WRATH OF THE RIGHTEOUS ON XBOX AND PLAYSTATION

Pathfinders!

We are happy to announce that we are opening digital pre-orders for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on consoles. Starting today, you can pre-order the Enhanced Edition of the game on Xbox and PlayStation. PlayStation Plus owners get an additional 10% discount.

We can also give you a sneak peek at the physical edition of Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous for consoles. This collector’s item will include 4 free DLCs, a set of stickers, and the official printed handbook introducing the universe to newcomers and featuring exclusive artwork. Physical pre-orders will start soon—check local stores for availability!

Pathfinder_WotR_Limited_Edition.jpg
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous will arrive on consoles on September 29, 2022. The Enhanced Edition will be the standard version for the console release, featuring quality-of-life improvements and a photo mode, together with additional high-level content related to several mythic paths and other features and tweaks. All owners of the PC version will also receive a free update to the Enhanced Edition on September 29.

ferratilis

Magister
People who already bought Kingmaker on console are definitely not buying this, after the way Owlcat left the game in a terrible state. The definitive edition of Kingmaker goes for around 5 bucks on console these days. So who is this meant for? Sorry to say, since I know Owlcats read this thread, but this is a waste of time and resources that could've been used elsewhere, for example making a DLC with more high level content etc.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Lann can shoot her for that much in a round by then with a couple crits

Not my Lann, lulz. At this point, one Crit from him does ~90 damage, +/- 10, so getting to 464 in a single round would take some serious luck with the dice against an enemy with such a high AC, despite 7 ApR with Haste and Extra Attack. I never put Legendary Proportions on him, tho, even though it gives him a significant damage boost. Between that and Deadly Aim, I found the AB penalty too heavy to be worth the extra damage per hit against high-AC enemies (specially that Priestess, who has permanent Seamantle buff on).

Swarms are also a pain there. I think Chain Lightning is pretty good against them IIRC.

Swarms were the easier part for me. Blessing of Unlife on Camellia to protect her from all the debuffs, Stoneskin to protect her from at least a part of physical damage, Divine Power + Prayer + Haste and go to town with Elemental Barrage. I wanted to play completely without re-spec, but I had to do it on her when I found that Kukri with 3 different types of Energy damage on it. I re-spec'd her to focus on dual-wielding, because with her ability to enchant the main-hand weapon with 2 different types of Energy damage and her off-hand Kukri that already has 3, it looked like a great opportunity to abuse Elemental Barrage.

It does not work so well in practice because she simply can't hit often enough without Divine Power and other round/level buffs on, but with those, she's damn good and it came especially useful against these particular swarms.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I found the AB penalty too heavy to be worth the extra damage per hit against high-AC enemies
Lann gets WIS-to-hit, so DEX doesn’t matter. It's kind of the point of the class.

Bless Weapon + Improved Crit + Perfect Strike + Bit of Luck/Fortune + Flurry and AB doesn't matter anyway (for extreme situations).

Freedom of Movement bypasses Seamantle, tho having some kjnd of Dispel ability helps in general against heavily buffed foes.

Stoned Ape

Savant
is it worth it to take 3 lvls of mutation warrior on a paladin build? mainly for the flask plus the feats.
Desiderius will say no, but I think you can multiclass paldin to fighter as soon as level 11 and gain more than you lose. I'd try to take at least 5 levels of fighter if you can for weapon training, though. Honestly, it really depends on what role you're trying to build your character for.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
is it worth it to take 3 lvls of mutation warrior on a paladin build? mainly for the flask plus the feats.
Desiderius will say no, but I think you can multiclass paldin to fighter as soon as level 11 and gain more than you lose. I'd try to take at least 5 levels of fighter if you can for weapon training, though. Honestly, it really depends on what role you're trying to build your character for.
Are you aware of what Greater Angelic Aura does? You know Pal gets it at lvl 13 (which is two levels earlier than even pure Cleric), right?

I just don't get chasing little +1 AB bonuses when you're getting +4 AoE all over the place or more. You need those Smite activations for Mark as well. I wonder if all the stuff Pal gets breaks your brains or something and you just revert to 3.5 for some relief.

Desiderius

Patron
tank with plate armor, fighter with the flask will help getting shatter earlier than pure paladin.
The Flask is +4 STR. That's +2 AB. Divine Favor alone is +3. How does that compare with all the other stuff Pal gets you? Do you guys just not even bother to cast Paladin spells or something?

She already tanks with Plate Armor.

Stoned Ape

Savant
Are you aware of what Greater Angelic Aura does? You know Pal gets it at lvl 13 (which is two levels earlier than even pure Cleric), right?

I just don't get chasing little +1 AB bonuses when you're getting +4 AoE all over the place or more. You need those Smite activations for Mark as well. I wonder if all the stuff Pal gets breaks your brains or something and you just revert to 3.5 for some relief.
Yep, I know what it does, it's a great spell. Didn't miss it from my current Seelah who is busy 2-handed chopping stuff with Improved Mythic Vital Strike at level 14 though. She's almost never targeted because the AI is focusing on my front line tanks or trying (and failing) to rush Waljif and dying to AoOs.

Her role isn't to tank for me, she Marks targets and kills stuff instead.

Desiderius

Patron
If you want Shatter that bad just make her your Intimidator and go right for Display into Shatter at lvl 7. You can pick up the other stuff later.

I go Improved Initiative, Outflank, Two-weapon, Shield Bash, then either Evocation Focus or Weapon Focus (Longsword) depending on MC. Azata can skip Outflank since you’ll eventually be providing all TW Feats.

If she’s melee-focused that’s Shatter by 15 which is the first time she would really need it (and also in time for Frightful on Cleric applying Shaken to everything with no skill check). With Evo Focus depends if I pick up Shield Master instead.

On my heavy debuffing teams she hasn’t ended up needing Shatter at all.

Desiderius

Patron

Yep, I know what it does, it's a great spell. Didn't miss it from my current Seelah who is busy 2-handed chopping stuff with Improved Mythic Vital Strike at level 14 though. She's almost never targeted because the AI is focusing on my front line tanks or trying (and failing) to rush Waljif and dying to AoOs.

So… you don’t know what it does lol

You fuckers really don’t even bother reading your spellbooks, do you? Unbelievable.

Stoned Ape

Savant

You fuckers really don’t even bother reading your spellbooks, do you? Unbelievable.

At no point did I think 'I wish my Seelah did substantially less damage and had fewer feats so she could get DR/10 and give my front-liners a +4 deflection bonus they already have, or maybe give them an extra +1 to their saves that their cloaks give them.'

Desiderius

Patron
Here’s the thing with Pal. I played Hospitaler Pal MC second playthrough of P:K. Very solid, two-handed whaling with best-available 2H weapon. Got Tempest early.

Really good vs Evil, great vs Undead, God vs Evil Outsiders - pretty much soloed Demon room in VTomb. But in P:K a lot of the hardest foes weren’t even Evil, and there were only like three other Evil Outsiders in the whole game.

In Wrath almost *everything* is an Evil Outsider. Even the non-Demons are at least Evil.

Main drawback of the class is how narrow the abilities are (you’ll remember the same thing from 4th level of Cleric Spellbook in P:K). In Wrath the setting cancels that drawback. So if you’re actially using those abilities you’re not improving on what Pal is already doing.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I personally like having as many casts of Mark of Justice as possible, so if I were to dip into another Class, I'd do it later in the game.

It doesn't seem that the stuff you get as a Paladin after level 14 is particularly Earth-shattering, so maybe that would be the cut-off point. Though keep in mind that if you selected the Mount over Weapon Bond at level 5, the Mount's level is equal to Paladin level, so it will be less useful the more you dip. I remember there was a Feat in NwN 2 you could take to boost your Animal Companion's level by up to +4, not sure if there's something similar in Pathfinder.

Desiderius

Patron

At no point did I think 'I wish my Seelah did substantially less damage and had fewer feats so she could get DR/10 and give my front-liners a +4 deflection bonus they already have, or maybe give them an extra +1 to their saves that their cloaks give them.'
They already have it because they’re burning 12 item slots. The Aura frees those up. Do I have to explain everything to you retards?

Desiderius

Patron
I personally like having as many casts of Mark of Justice as possible, so if I were to dip into another Class, I'd do it later in the game.

It doesn't seem that the stuff you get as a Paladin after level 14 is particularly Earth-shattering, so maybe that would be the cut-off point. Though keep in mind that if you selected the Mount over Weapon Bond at level 5, the Mount's level is equal to Paladin level, so it will be less useful the more you dip. I remember there was a Feat in NwN 2 you could take to boost your Animal Companion's level by up to +4, not sure if there's something similar in Pathfinder.
Since you’re delayed caster the CL boost from additional levels is gold and there’s more great 4th level spells than you could ever hope to cast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom