Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with The Lord of Nothing DLC

razvedchiki

Erudite
really hope the crusade management will improve with the enchanced edition, but probably they want the feedback for their next game.

The problem with both the Crusade and the Kingdom systems is a lack of integration with the main game in a way that encourages you to actually play it. Getting random items and rewards dropped on your head in the late game is not a good system (especially when at least half of them are probably useless to you).

Compare to a game like X-Com (new or old) where every month your base is generating new equipment that the player is in control of and can make a strategy around, and it doesn't waste your time with tedious bullshit that isn't advancing your power base. Every tactical mission rewards you with strategic benefits, and every strategic advance rewards you with tactical benefits. Every building you build in your base is about providing something that generates tactical benefits.

In the Pathfinder games this cycle just doesn't exist and their strategic systems for the most part only reinforce your with strategic benefits, not tactical ones. In other words the rewards for succeeding in crusade or kingdom is that you get to do more crusade or kingdom stuff. 95% of the buildings you build are about the crusade or kingdom. This is incidentally why Auto Mode is a thing, it's so easy to just excise the strategic gameplay from the tactical because they are so separated to begin with. A lot of this would be fixed if there was just a proper crafting system where every month players could be generating strong magical items based on the expenditure of strategic mode resources. Tie it in with limits on the power of magical items based on story/side quest progression and you'd have an OK base for the strategic gameplay.

Unfortunately looking at their survey it seems there's no options that really address this. All they are asking about is whether players want more crusade or less crusade.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, my only real gripe with the system is the sad lack of balance (dominance of caster generals, alpha strike strategy, brain-dead spamming dwellings in every fort leading to huge numeric advantage, clear cut "best" upgrade paths - and lots of trash-tier units, including pathetic "mythic" stacks and generally inferior 80% of "mercenary" units).

Mercs aren't inferior, but there's little reason to find that out.

Getting random items and rewards dropped on your head in the late game
If you sucked less they wouldn't be random or late.

I think you mean "if you read a guide that tells you completely obscure and unexplained conditions for shit".

And some of them are still random. After playing Kingmaker and reading the artisan stuff I realized I never got certain powerful items despite reaching max rank in all of them.

Desiderius

Patron

You fucks are going to make me:

(a) do a survey for the tranny ignoramus who destroyed their community relations

(b) say I liked a system the smarmy CEO starved of resources to properly develop just to balance out the butthurt of the clowns who never even tried it.

We want more games like HoMM, not less. They got the hard part done, they just didn't finish it.

Desiderius

Patron

I think you mean "if you read a guide that tells you completely obscure and unexplained conditions for shit".

And some of them are still random. After playing Kingmaker and reading the artisan stuff I realized I never got certain powerful items despite reaching max rank in all of them.

There are no good guides these days. Not enough money in it. I drew my own map on graph paper for that shit.

I got those items with time to spare.

There's perfectly good guides available: https://pathfinderkingmaker.fandom.com/wiki/Artisans

The problem is expecting players to go read this crap just to get anything useful out of your strategic mode gameplay. There's not even the slightest HINT in-game that artisans work this way and that anything other than their quest is required to get better items. It's an obvious, easy change to make a generalized crafting system where you can level up the maximum power of your crafted items over time.

Desiderius

Patron
They don't expect players to go read that crap. You don't need it.

Nowhere in that guide does it mention the most important constraint - time. If you weren't so reliant on guides you might have been able to figure that out for yourself.

What does time have anything to do with it? Time is not an issue, it automatically passes in game. Everyone has plenty of time. What they don't have is obscure stat or other requirements that the player has no reason to progress towards.

You absolutely need the guide if you want to get certain items quickly. And other items you may never get if the RNG fails to smile on you.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, my only real gripe with the system is the sad lack of balance (dominance of caster generals, alpha strike strategy, brain-dead spamming dwellings in every fort leading to huge numeric advantage, clear cut "best" upgrade paths - and lots of trash-tier units, including pathetic "mythic" stacks and generally inferior 80% of "mercenary" units).

Perhaps. But there is little reason indeed. The recruitable units have a huge numeric stack advantage. Besides a few narrow, temporary cases.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Once the first month of chapter three and 5 have passed, you're going to steamroll anything coming your way, regardless of merc unit or not, as long as you did not went full reatrd on general and unit selection (or picked something that does not work lolololol). Numerical advantage is overkill, but a lot of shit is, like the max rank building.

Desiderius

Patron

Perhaps. But there is little reason indeed. The recruitable units have a huge numeric stack advantage. Besides a few narrow, temporary cases.
That depends on which buildings you select. Developing your mercs properly is key to maintaining three viable stacks HoMM style, which is something unfortunately you don't need to do.

What does time have anything to do with it?

When you're ready to suck less you'll figure out the answer to that question yourself instead of relying on incomplete guides that miss the entire point.

When you're ready to suck less you'll figure out the answer to that question yourself instead of relying on incomplete guides that miss the entire point.
You can't just spout bullshit and expect not to be called out. The amount of time everyone has doesn't change. Time is not an issue, obscure requirements are.

Desiderius

Patron
When you start a game everything is obscure. Playing a game is clearing that fog. Going online to find someone to do it for you is missing the entire point.

If you're stuck ask for help. That isn't what you're doing.

The amount of time everyone has doesn't change.
The amount of time everyone has to generate those items you bizarrely feel entitled to without putting in any effort to obtain them absolutely does change.

The amount of time everyone has to generate those items you bizarrely feel entitled to without putting in any effort to obtain them absolutely does change.

The time is the same. The only difference is how soon you satisfy obscure requirements. The obscure requirements are the issue. Are you actually retarded?

The only "effort" is reading a stupid guide to figure out that you need to do something stupid like purchase region upgrades that do literally nothing, or upgrade stats that have no indication that they have anything to do with an artisan.

Erebus

Arcane
We want more games like HoMM, not less. They got the hard part done, they just didn't finish it.

The idea to imitate HoMM 3, while good, is not what I would call "the hard part". Battles in WotR are dramatically unbalanced and unfun, and Owlcat shouldn't be given the impression that they can make the Crusade System entertaining with just a few minor changes.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well... you should say "region upgrades should do something", because your quest book does bid you to build them. The issue is that they're bugged and don't work. :P

Also... crusading management was just padding. I never felt offended, but it didn't bring anything to the game either. The only cool part about it is if you're playing Swarm. Then you can see how you're literally eating everything, which is a neat touch.

Stoned Ape

Savant
Somewhere along the line my brain has started re-interpreted Sosiel's combat bark to 'I will lend you my aids'.

Whenever he shouts it, he seems to follow it up with a swing and miss. Each time he does so, he nails the sentence more firmly into my mind.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
is there a way for a brown fur transmuter to have more than 1 ability to make a + 4 str spell to 6?
Do not dump Charisma, perhaps?
Anyway, the Arcane Exploit Pool grows with level (1/2 level + Cha mod, perhaps?).
Still nice to have some positive Cha, as that mod limits how many spell slots you can consume to get even more Exploit Pool.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Are there any resources online to help with modding this game? I am wanting to make some adjustments to the mythic paths to try and give them more flavor and I am wanting to know if there is anything I can refer to in order to speed along the process, or am I going to have to figure out how to do it myself.

razvedchiki

Erudite
is there a way for a brown fur transmuter to have more than 1 ability to make a + 4 str spell to 6?
Anyway, the Arcane Exploit Pool grows with level (1/2 level + Cha mod, perhaps?).
Still nice to have some positive Cha, as that mod limits how many spell slots you can consume to get even more Exploit Pool.

i mean the 3 lvl ability, where you can enhance one trasmutation spell with your arcane ability but it says you can only do it once.

Acrux

Arcane
Are there any resources online to help with modding this game? I am wanting to make some adjustments to the mythic paths to try and give them more flavor and I am wanting to know if there is anything I can refer to in order to speed along the process, or am I going to have to figure out how to do it myself.

I'm not aware of any tutorials, but there are a couple of mods (by the same author) for Gold Dragon and Demon mythic paths that might be helpful as resources.

https://github.com/Balkoth-dev/WOTR_PATH_OF_RAGE
https://github.com/Balkoth-dev/WOTR_PATH_OF_BLING

Yosharian

Arcane
Join the Discord and ask the professionals, in the modding channel, they are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Yosharian

Arcane
The Arcanist's arcane reservoir is bugged. It isn't calculated correctly.

The arcanist’s arcane reservoir can hold a maximum amount of magical energy equal to 3 + the arcanist’s level

- is what it is meant to be. But it isn't that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom