Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Owlcat's next Pathfinder RPG - now in ALPHA STAGE 2

Discussion in 'Owlcat Games' started by purpleblob, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The Law is never meek. Jesus, that mistranslation has damned us all to no end of nonsense, not least the utter cuckitude of Western White Hats.

Now they're overdoing the correction (see the writing in both Pathfinders) to mean wanton/genocidal cruelty.

Think traditional manliness (not Chivalry!) and you'll get a better sense.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Shinros Learned

Shinros
    I suspect, this is just my theory and I agree with Ind. if you go Lawful Good Aeon, I think GD mentor will take you under his wing. Because going LN stone-called medieval Law is downright cruel and LE has devil. Apparently in the leak with Angel
    Show Spoiler
    if you go the holy avenger path you can't switch over to GD, he'll reject you.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Joseph Stalin Totally not Auraculum

Self-Ejected
    Still, I can't quite see the reason for anyone OTHER THAN Aeon would, from a story perspective, switch to this Path.

Also, based on the datamined dialogue - will you be killed by the goddess even as an Azata?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. InD_ImaginE Arcane Patron

InD_ImaginE
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Gold Dragon is a good specific Mythic Path.

Out of the original six the one that can be good are:

Trickster: CG
    Aeon: LG
    Azata: CG/NG
    Angel: CG/NG/LG

Demon and Lich are non Good.

NG Angel Path (which I guess would include CG characters) has always about protecting the weak and redemption as the main theme. Gold Dragon (LG, but I think dev in Discord confirms that NG is possible) being the protector of mortals should be right up their alley. Mind that you don't instantly have your thought replaced when you take a Mythic Path. Narrative wise (altho the player is in control of this) what Mythic Path the player choose is indicative of their motivation, not the other way around.

LG Aeon path currently has the short end of the stick power wise (Aeon hates you for being meek/wavering in the game so it is implied you won't be able to time travel, Devil thinks you are not profiting enough out of this). From my Aeon playthrough, LG Aeon punish with the spirit of teaching a lesson and will consider the motivation behind the law-breaking instead of upholding the Law as main motivation. This is pretty much up GD alley as well.

I haven't played Azata (the best for the last), but the theme for them seems to be to do good and feel good above all else (hence CG), but the player motivation can range anywhere from actually CG to a more NG one (as LG as an alignment is rather stiff in Owlcat game). Considering NG Gold Dragon is a thing, it is not a stretch that NG or more rational Azata might choose GD as well.

Trickster I agree won't care about GD at all based from what I see.

edit: narrative-wise, I think the game is less of "I want to be this Mythic Path thus I set my alignment around it" and more "I am of this alignment with this motivation, so I choose this power." This way it makes sense that you can "jump" ship when something that align more to the character view comes around. Altho most player will probably play like the former rather than the latter.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. LannTheStupid Товарищ Patron

LannTheStupid
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    This somehow reverberates with the concept of alignment as resource which IMHO was first presented in Kingmaker.

^ Top  
  6. razvedchiki Liturgist

razvedchiki

Sad Loser Sad Loser
    i will prob go legendary mortal first run, cavalier or some good archetype.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Ghulgothas Scholar

Ghulgothas
    Have there been any details unearthed on the nature and variety of mounts (specifically those of the Beast Rider), or are those still gettin' developed? Trying to decide whether it'd be worth it to take some levels on a Lich so he may ride on a Pale Horse or something more monstrous.

^ Top  
  8. Morii Learned

Morii
    So uh...will MCA work on WoR?

• Yes Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. santino27 Arcane Patron

santino27
    As far as we know. He was supposed to, as part of the kickstarter, and Owlcat stayed quiet when all the #MeToo nonsense with him happened. But since he's also been invisible since then, it's hard to know for sure.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Cleric of Asmodeus Learned

Cleric of Asmodeus
    I’m intrigued by the mount stuff, too. I don’t recall a party based RPG that had a mount system.. maybe NWN? Do any of the companions have mounts? Otherwise I’ll probably roll a mounted MC (gendarme). Also considering an arcane caster, though.

^ Top  
  11. Lawntoilet Cipher

Lawntoilet
    Seelah can have a mount.
    Well really any of the companions can, but Seelah can get one without multiclassing or using any Mythic abilities.

^ Top  
  12. Rico66 Arbiter

Rico66
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

alignments required for mythic paths if someone is interested

• Informative Informative x 5
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. BarbequeMasta Learned

BarbequeMasta
    I like that demon can be chosen by neutral characters, feels like itll be a "victory at any cost" kinda MC.

^ Top  
  14. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    wait where's swarm?

^ Top  
  15. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  16. ga♥ Liturgist

ga♥
    When is it coming out?!?!?!?!

• It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Joseph Stalin Totally not Auraculum

Self-Ejected
    Am I the only one who is more interested in playing as a Neutral/Lawful Neutral Necromancer (a'la Mortuary Cult from Warhammer) rather than a Lawful Evil Lich?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Cleric of Asmodeus Learned

Cleric of Asmodeus
    I’m curious about playing a neutral utilitarian Lich too but I’m uncertain about whether the choices will railroad you into evil for the sake of it decisions. I’ll probably try it out.

^ Top  
  19. Joseph Stalin Totally not Auraculum

Self-Ejected
    Not even utilitarian, but one who doesn't turn people Undead for selfish/cruel reasons. As in "I raise you to be a soldier once more and defend your land" rather than "I raise you for shits and giggles."

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • +20 Social Credit +20 Social Credit x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Cleric of Asmodeus Learned

Cleric of Asmodeus
    That's what I was implying, maybe pragmatic is a better term for that, though.

^ Top  
  21. Joseph Stalin Totally not Auraculum

Self-Ejected
    I also meant that he treats those he raises with some respect, not like meat puppets.

^ Top  
  22. Nm6k Novice

Nm6k
    I only play a little of the Lich path so far but there was a few dialogic options like this

^ Top  
  23. santino27 Arcane Patron

santino27
    I didn't realize lawful was (mostly) a pre-req for lich, honestly. I assume there's a lore basis for thwy they cannot be chaotic?

^ Top  
  24. Johnny Biggums Literate

Johnny Biggums
    I see liches (and vampires) as the aristocrats of the undead, and also becoming a Lich requires study, knowledge, self-control, emotional distance, etc., so makes sense to me. I'm interested if there's a lore basis too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Shinros Learned

Shinros
    Tabletop wise, Lich's are any evil, but in the context of the game and what I've played I agree with this. Also, I think a chaotic evil character would just annoy your Lich master. Now the reason why Demon and Angel has so many alignment choices is pure gameplay mechanics, Angel and Demon are basically default and mirror each other. You need to pick a path, can't go without one. Angel is basically good and Demon is evil. So far, what I've observed from the Alpha and Leaks, trying to go against the grain within your path can lead to certain consequences. The path that is quite clear in this regard is Aeon at the moment.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.