Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Owlcat's next Pathfinder RPG - now in ALPHA STAGE 2

Discussion in 'Owlcat Games' started by purpleblob, Nov 27, 2019.

1. smaug Dumbfuck! Patron Dumbfuck Shitposter

smaug
    Insert Title Here
    :hmmm:
    nigga, the game is in alpha and you're talking about dlc:hahano::hahano::hahano:

• incline incline x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Gordian Nutt Educated

Gordian Nutt
    Justin Sweet and Jason Manley are great artists

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Efe Liturgist

Efe
    smaug nigga people started talking about next installment and how its ready to be played as it is now.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • How DARE you!?? How DARE you!?? x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Ontopoly Magister

Ontopoly
    I want a dlc like black pits in baldurs gate 1 and 2 EE, except I know owlcat games can make better encounter designs than beamdog. blackpits was a good idea, and I want to see owlcat do it. Go into an arena, fight, get a prize for winning, buy some equips, then go into the next fight. Sometimes that's the only gameplay loop we need.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Cleric of Asmodeus Learned

Cleric of Asmodeus
    This would be cool. I've been playing Beneath the Stolen Lands with Call of the Wild splat, and it's pretty close to being what I want but the gameplay loop could use better shopping. The vendor will have only +1 weapons and belts of +2 muscles when in the main campaign you would be getting some really build defining loot by that point.

Buffing as you rapidly level up can take a large portion of the time in a loop but I don't expect them to address something like that without a mod.

^ Top  
  6. Dodo1610 Magister

Dodo1610
    I don't understand why they haven't started preorders + marketing on Steam when they plan to release the game in about half a year. Owlcat haven't even said if Deep Silver will be their publisher again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Ghulgothas Scholar

Ghulgothas
    Their focus on the ensuring the quality and depth of basegame makes me excited for when they get around to their post-launch plan. Hopefully this means that there'll be some real Expansions to go with whatever piecemeal DLC they'll inevitably put out. I hunger for more end-game, high level content to truly test the limits of mythic power.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  8. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Everytime you spawn the game you get an assortment of random loot at the vendors (including endgame/artisan stuff you might rarely see) that you can work toward. If you don’t like that you can just reroll.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Xamenos Augur Patron

Xamenos
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm hoping for Curse of the Crimson Throne, myself. But Carrion Crown would be interesting if they improved its coherency by as much as they did Kingmaker's. An improved Mummy's Mask wouldn't be bad either.

^ Top  
  10. The Avatar Savant

The Avatar
    We Be Goblins is very short. Not enough material for a full game. Would make an interesting DLC though.

^ Top  
  11. LannTheStupid Товарищ Patron

LannTheStupid
    I want to see Cheliax.

^ Top  
  12. InD_ImaginE Arcane Patron

InD_ImaginE
    This is my worry as well. I am well thinking that WotR is the last out of Pf 1e CRPG they are going to make because it won't make much sense to have non-mythic Pathfinder game in the future as it will be feature regression, not to mention narrative regression as the Mythic Path in WotR gives so much replayability.

And then there is the fact that their next game is supposed to be TB sc-fi as well.

• :( :( x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Ontopoly Magister

Ontopoly
    This is disapointing to hear. I'm more of a fantasy fan than sci-fi and I feel like there are a bunch of turn-based games coming out to scratch the itch but owlcat are the only ones giving us some good rtwp right now

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Cleric of Asmodeus Learned

Cleric of Asmodeus
    What if it were Starfinder though..

• Disgusting! Disgusting! x 3
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. ~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-AIN'T Arcane Patron

~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-AIN'T
    Serpent in the Staglands Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Rise of the Runelords is an awesome AP, but it doesn't have any strategic layer like Kingmaker and Wrath do. That's obviously not mandatory for an RPG but Owlcat definitely seems to prefer having it. No strategic layer + no mythic levels will definitely be seen as mechanical regression, even though I'd love a RotR game.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. InD_ImaginE Arcane Patron

InD_ImaginE
    You can ham it in I think. While it doesn't have strategic layer, in the 2nd book of the AP you did save a fortress of Ranger or something. Can easily spin it in to include strategic layer there, controlling the Ranger vs the giants army.

Honestly I'd prefer they combine Raise and Return of the Runelords somehow into 1 epic game if they are going to do RUnelords at all.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  17. millenialboomer Literate

millenialboomer
    In regarding the strategic layer, the ogres before the giants would add a great "tutorial" strategic layer. You're spot on about the giants being perfect fodder for strategic layer; in fact, that's how I ran it using ultimate campaign modified for P2.

Regarding the combination of the two aps though... I don't know. It's a good idea, but I feel like it would be a bummer for people to miss out on a lot of the good stuff from the related APs. Combining Rise of the Runelords with Return of the Runelords isn't ideal because the latter's enjoyment is directly predicated on how much you know about what happened in Curse of the Crimson Throne. You'd have to also include Shattered Star for sure I think. Plus, the power levels at the end of any of those adventure paths are pretty titanic. Your power levels at the end of Rise would trivialize a lot Return I think at a minimum and if you didn't bequeath those power levels, the encounters wouldn't make sense (I fought a
    Show Spoiler
    what essentially amounts to a demigod of magic
    but now some city guard are a threat? what?) Maybe... oh! Maybe you could introduce a sort of quasi generational mechanic?
    Show Spoiler
    If I recall correctly, the final encounter at the end of Rise doesn't exactly guarantee your survival anyway, so you could factor that into it.

I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion based on the reactions I saw earlier in the thread and the love for Pathfinder1, but I honestly hope the next game is using the Pathfinder 2 ruleset. The increase in complexity to combat and deadliness of any given encounter would do a lot to ensuring there were less uninteresting trash fights. Even in the Alpha for WoTR, there are a lot of annoying encounters that don't mean anything and aren't fun spaced in between the interesting ones. They feel like chores; I think even the Real Time with Pause players can agree with me based on my experience with RTwP in WoTR. Pathfinder 2, by its very nature, might help with this.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • No No x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. ~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-AIN'T Arcane Patron

~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-AIN'T
    Serpent in the Staglands Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Show Spoiler

I think the problem is that, while chapters 3 and 4 (ogres and giants) works pretty well for a strategic layer, after Mokmurian is defeated at the end of chapter 4 there's no longer really an immediate threat anywhere, whether in Sandpoint, Magnimar, or Fort Rannick. Karzoug's impending awakening is a threat that can only be dealt with by actually going to Xin Shalast - chapter 5 is about acquiring equipment to deal with him and chapter 6 is going to defeat him. There aren't any armies left to fight once the giant army breaks up, so what are you going to use your Ranger army for at this point? It would seem kinda weird to just have the strategic layer for a third of the game in the middle.

Of course, Owlcat has made their own changes in their adaptations of the APs to make them work better for the games, so maybe they can adapt it to work. They'll need to make changes either way just to have an evil PC make sense. I'm just a little skeptical they would want to make a fairly drastic change to the plot of probably the most celebrated AP to make the strategic layer work.

Agreed with most of this, a generational mechanic sounds kinda cool, but overall I'm not sure combining APs will work out very well.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. millenialboomer Literate

millenialboomer
    That's a good point. Once you add the mechanic, typically people want more of it and to ramp it out, not for that part of the game to be "cleared." I suppose you could do something about
    Show Spoiler
    the current-era denizens of Xin Shalast who started worshipping Karzoug and make them into a threat? But honestly, the Giants are the bigger deal, thematic-wise.[/quote]

^ Top  
  20. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Wrath isn’t like that at all. Up the difficulty if it’s boring. They haven’t even put in advanced mob abilities yet.

^ Top  
  21. CaesarCzech Learned

CaesarCzech
    Petition to rename that nigger to consoomer.

^ Top  
  22. CaesarCzech Learned

CaesarCzech
    As for games the IRA simulator that was the city Adventure path not the The Thieves one but the Cheliax resistance could be decent just downsize strategic layer. The pirate Adventure path would be decent if Obsiditards didnt decide to do it first.

^ Top  
  23. Morii Learned

Morii
    This really doesn't make sense to me
    Show Spoiler
    Angel is CG? then why demons isn't CE? Lich is natural? I thought necromancy was evil in pathfinder?

^ Top  
  24. Cleric of Asmodeus Learned

Cleric of Asmodeus
    Ignore the green check mark

^ Top  
  25. Ghulgothas Scholar

Ghulgothas
    That's because with how this game is being designed, it won't be completable without ultimately committing to a Mythic path. With what we know of the requirements and potential for failure and lockout in the other paths, they're likely making Angel and Demon the contingency Mythics for good and evil respectively.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.