Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Parabalus

Arcane
Still often easier to clear out battles with just one stack of units, instead of a full army.

You don't need the various skills on the MC to benefit from Trickster tricks , i.e., Nenio can have Knowledge Arcana, identify the item and it'll still be buffed.

how buffed are the items out of curiosity?

Don't have Rank 2 yet, R1 gives everything +1, so enchantment bonuses to weaps/armor, but also to attributes.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yes, yes, Shadenuat there is a Snowball Meta
:roll:
it was a joke lol. all these posters are at different parts of the gaem. of course you don't use only snowballs even early (or just don't use them and go entirely for SR ignoring CC & buffs etc ).

Don't force me to make a magic missile build, I have just read what persistent spell is and found a portrait for Phantasmal mage.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
it was a joke lol. all these posters are at different parts of the gaem. of course you don't use only snowballs even early (or just don't use them and go entirely for SR ignoring CC & buffs etc ).

Don't force me to make a magic missile build, I have just read what persistent spell is and found a portrait for Phantasmal mage.
I sent you both friend invites on GOG. :love:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

I've thought about it. There's some minimal support to make it a decent fallback I think?

It's just sad to watch people when there are a jillion things to try and skills finally matter just act like it's every other game they're used to with unimaginative devs and miss what's right there that makes it great.

And I mean who just sticks with their first gun in a FPS or whatever?

Jackpot

Learned
I think one of the reasons I'm struggling with Blackwater is that I only have one character with high AC.
Seelah isn't getting hit at all, but the problem is that the demons just ignore her, walk right through her, and attack me and the dwarf with our shitty 28 AC.
My thought on a longspear build was have Seelah tank everything and attack the enemies that are engaged with her out of reach of them, but most demons have long reach, and even the ones that don't don't give a shit about staying engaged with her.

I beat the first encounter because one of the demons locked onto Nenio and I kept him occupied by having him benny-hill chase her around the area with her haste as the rest of the team finished the fight.

Delterius

Arcane

you joke about snowball meta but i'm pretty sure trickster can use magic missile as a cantrip, just because

Desiderius

Patron
Why are you trying to clear a 15th level dungeon with a first level spell? Is literally everyone here autistic? Grease and Magic Missile? Do you drive your car three miles per hour?

As for loot how’s that Perception? I haven’t gotten there yet so we’ll see. Usually when I hear no loot I get somewhere and it’s overflowing.

Yeah, how dare I use spells efficiently instead of blowing 6th and 7th level spells into literal cannon fodder, when a second level spell works just as effectively. The annoyance comes with enemies that have absurdly high AC/HP with no downside other than shitty reflex saves, which essentially just boils down to fights taking fairly long (mind you, playing on Hard). So far every dungeon, while being thoroughly challenging even with somewhat optimized builds, was never a big slog. This was one I quickly got bored with. The aesthetics/theme of the dungeon don't fit the general narrative at all, enemy variation is pretty much nonexistant, casters are just there to fatigue you, and while I could've blown higher level spells to get through it faster, I also wouldve had to rest - and I'm trying to be conservative with those as I don't know how many of them I'll actually need, or how big dungeon will be.

When most enemies need 3-4 exsanguinates or bolstered Fireballs to kill, while posing no threat whatsoever (their ABs are dogshit, they barely hit my Camellia with her 46 AC), that's just boring design. Putting a few 50-56 AC sponges in your way that cant even hit a single attack, with Regeneration 10 or higher, and needing 10+ Coup de Grace casts to kill due to excessively high fortitude saves, is the definition of boring. Too bad their regeneration can only be stopped with electricity or adamantine weapons. While not having access to the latter, and half the mobs being straight up immune to the former. Just wasting time.

Loot isn't an issue of Perception, as most interesting loot isn't hidden behind perception checks. Regardless, I doubt I missed anything with 40+ Perception. I say shit loot whenever I meet interesting boss fights or tough as nails enemies, and they then drop shit like a Chainmail Shirt +1 or even non-enhanced weapons/armor. Which is Blackwater, in a nutshell. Unless you think its interesting design that you need to dimension door through doors you cannot open otherwise (unless you take the Evil option) for the only loot thats worth getting in there.

I know what you're saying - this sounds like the dogshit Boggart areas they tacked onto P:K.

On the other hand...

If it was just as effective you wouldn't be whining and crying about what a slog it is.

There is no such thing as absurdly high. You have the tools you're just not using them for whatever reason. You do have access to Adamantine weapons. And you can get around Electricity Immunity. And don't make me laugh with 50-56 AC.

The time pressure here is the reverse of P:K. It pays to scout things out, then go back to camp and put together a team well-suited for the task. The time you spend traveling is more time your forces are building up to overwhlem the Demons. The time pressure is on them.

Kutuzov would approve.

Desiderius

Patron

you joke about snowball meta but i'm pretty sure trickster can use magic missile as a cantrip, just because

Because why are you using Cantrips in an Epic setting?

Gotta give that action economy some love brothers.

YOLO

Delterius

Arcane

Because why are you using Cantrips in an Epic setting?

Gotta give that action economy some love brothers.

YOLO
if fish missile was a level 1 spell i'd turn it into a cantrip and use it every day, just because

Desiderius

Patron
I think one of the reasons I'm struggling with Blackwater is that I only have one character with high AC.
Seelah isn't getting hit at all, but the problem is that the demons just ignore her, walk right through her, and attack me and the dwarf with our shitty 28 AC.
My thought on a longspear build was have Seelah tank everything and attack the enemies that are engaged with her out of reach of them, but most demons have long reach, and even the ones that don't don't give a shit about staying engaged with her.

I beat the first encounter because one of the demons locked onto Nenio and I kept him occupied by having him benny-hill chase her around the area with her haste as the rest of the team finished the fight.

Nenio has insta-invis of she gets unwanted attention. Worth a shot.

Desiderius

Patron

Better way to handle dudes that rush your backlines is to smash them with Ever Ready I think. If these guys are like Boggart Champ may need to bring in the Grease/Pits or difficult Terrain or whatever. Sounds like a job for Ascendant Element max Chain/Stormbolts tbh.

Delterius

Arcane
The key Mythic Tricks that require a high skill level from you are UMD (you gotta be able to actually use the items), Persuasion (Rank 1 is just demoralize and doesn't run on rank, so its good to have a high skill), Athletics 1 and 2 (Athletics check into Saving Throws), Mobility 3 (Mobility checks into AC), Knowledge World 1 (World Checks into boosting every other check).

If it's true that Trickster's secret metamagic feat can turn level 1 spells into cantrips, I guess an Arcane Trickster Trickster can use Surprise Spells to magic missile 5xSneak Dice every fight. Just a silly thing you can do.

Parabalus

Arcane
When is Finnean supposed to upgrade?

Nothing yet, in C3. Found some papers randomly in the Good Hunt temple.

volklore

Arcane
If you use a spell modified with persistent spell metamagic with the azata favorable magic thingy how does that work? Roll the save twice, if both succeed, roll the save twice again ?
And how would those save roll effects work with spells that have multiple saving throws like phantasmal killer or weird ?

Desiderius

Patron
Turns out I'm discovering this playthrough that pretty much all the Mythic Trick lines require skill checks at some point. Should have gone Aeon. Oh well I'll be going Legend eventually.

Desiderius

Patron
If you use a spell modified with persistent spell metamagic with the azata favorable magic thingy how does that work? Roll the save twice, if both succeed, roll the save twice again ?
And how would those save roll effects work with spells that have multiple saving throws like phantasmal killer or weird ?

Three rolls. Add in Misfortune, Eldritch Font, and Touch of Chaos and really go off.

Each save they have to reroll.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Turns out I'm discovering this playthrough that pretty much all the Mythic Trick lines require skill checks at some point. Should have gone Aeon. Oh well I'll be going Legend eventually.

If you hadn't fanta on ignore you would know that turns out shit

Desiderius

Patron

I'm not in fact joking about Snowball meta. Shadenuat cleared the game with it. It may well be intended play pattern for Winter Witch. It's just kinda boring and too much work.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Please don't clear the game with Snowballs, it's stupid.

...fuck. I wrote all the options out with my chars and from most races and classes I am left with
demon
dwarf
winter witch

theres nobody else to be a dwarf or demon
i'll need to play a dwarf with anger issues
dwarven snowballz! merry christmas!

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

I still quite early in the game but having just one tank in this game doesn't seems viable. You need two characters that can having shit ton of AC (in my case Regill and Camellia, both with minimal of 30) , one with okay ac and your caster not too far from them because enemies love to appear in your back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom