Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

ArchAngel

Arcane
BTW, in my current run my party is now: My blight elf fighter/demonslayer with 2 scimitars and a panther (that I found I can cannot ride as it only becomes Medium and Animal Growth does not make larger :( ), then there is Camelia as primary tank, Sosiel on his Horse companion as 2nd tank swinging his Glaive and buffing and in the back I got Wenduag bringing the pain from the surprise round, Ember as primary DPS caster and support healer and Nenio in a bit different role. This time I didn't focus into rays and evocation alongside Illusion but decided to skip point blank and precise shot and go into Illusion and Transmutation. End game play is to have Heightened Baleful Polymorphs to turn tough enemies into dogs to make them useless while Illusion is for CC.

ArchAngel

Arcane
what build did you use on regil to have him be better than camelia at tanking?
I just give him a bunch of AC boosting items and Last Stand and heal him continuously. I'm sure you can get Camellia to a million AC with buffs and whatever but tbh tanking is huge meme. The encounter and enemy design heavily incentivises first strike capabilities and burst damage.

Greybor is worst companion in the game. He is crap at damage, tanking or surviving. If you want sneak attack you are better with Wolfjit, he can actually tank with defensive spells and he has good buffs for himself and the party.
Camelia is not a drain on other's resources, she buff herself and others and she can be the party rogue for traps and shit. And if you build her well, she does decent damage as well while being able to heal herself once per combat as a swift action (or more if you got quicken rods). And she can have an animal companion that makes her 2x as deadly. Greybor is completely dependant on others in party and even then he is kind of crap.
Idk I like Greybor strength draining the opposition.
Camelia has better AC and lots of super useful buffs that Regill does not have. Her saves are better and she can make herself immune to most things. She can buff her weapon and heal and cast resists. Regill does do more damage, he is actually better as dps, he is better than Greybor at it.
Wolfjit can also drain strength which is btw mostly useless, you are better at using drain Constitution ability. Wolfjit can buff himself so he is also a decent tank, he does more base damage than Greybor and has same sneak attack and also get Debilitating sneaks attacks that Greybor does not have which both reduces enemy AC and attacks for him and whole party.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Camellia has high trickery, 9 levels of divine spells, is decent at attacking and surviving and has hexes. Imo none of the other companions offer even close to the amount of versatility as she does. There are better companions for dealing damage, or tanking, and ember is technically a better hexer. Maybe sosiel is a better divine caster (but iirc he can't get divine vestment and barkskin, so not really). But she really is going to be incredibly useful to most parties. On my lich playthrough, she's the only character I never considered dropping from the party.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Camellia has high trickery, 9 levels of divine spells, is decent at attacking and surviving and has hexes. Imo none of the other companions offer even close to the amount of versatility as she does. There are better companions for dealing damage, or tanking, and ember is technically a better hexer. Maybe sosiel is a better divine caster (but iirc he can't get divine vestment and barkskin, so not really). But she really is going to be incredibly useful to most parties. On my lich playthrough, she's the only character I never considered dropping from the party.
Succubus ranger is only other Barkskin caster. Sosiel can get barkskin if you get Impossible Domain for him but I rather choose to get him a companion so he can do full attacks even when moving. Sosiel does get Magic Vestment and as a full spell, not only in domain slots.
I only dropped her in my Angel run because I decided to bring succubus lady instead to cast barkskins. It is hard to kick her out otherwise.

Humbaba

Arcane
Camelia has better AC and lots of super useful buffs that Regill does not have. Her saves are better and she can make herself immune to most things. She can buff her weapon and heal and cast resists. Regill does do more damage, he is actually better as dps, he is better than Greybor at it.
Wolfjit can also drain strength which is btw mostly useless, you are better at using drain Constitution ability. Wolfjit can buff himself so he is also a decent tank, he does more base damage than Greybor and has same sneak attack and also get Debilitating sneaks attacks that Greybor does not have which both reduces enemy AC and attacks for him and whole party.

I wouldn't say any kind of stat drain is useless, it's free debuffs that come with doing what you would've been doing anyway. Unlike Camellia, Regill is nowhere near as resource dependent and resource burn is low key a highly important metric. Hellknights get Triumph Force of Will which permanently buffs Reg's saves against fear, compulsion or charm. Fear effects become a non-issue with Remove Fear anyway. Camellia's got more tricks up her sleeve sure but then again self-sufficiency and versatility are overrated qualities in a party based system, which is why I'm not too fond of hybrid classes.

I would question the claim that Greybor does little damage, I have so far noticed no significant deficit in that area. Using Woljif's spell slots for all the buffs he needs to become melee viable is a huge waste if you ask me, nevermind the fact that he is only proficient with simple weapons unless you waste a level to give him martial weapon proficiency. Much like Camellia, Woljif is a lot more resource intensive than Greybor. Slayer not getting debilitating sneak attack is a bit of a bummer I'll admit but there are enough other abilities that lower enemy AC and in exchange he gets Studied Target and Quarry. I would rate Slayer higher than Rogue in general. He can't pick locks, but that's what ArushaBAE is for.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I wouldn't say any kind of stat drain is useless, it's free debuffs that come with doing what you would've been doing anyway. Unlike Camellia, Regill is nowhere near as resource dependent and resource burn is low key a highly important metric. Hellknights get Triumph Force of Will which permanently buffs Reg's saves against fear, compulsion or charm. Fear effects become a non-issue with Remove Fear anyway. Camellia's got more tricks up her sleeve sure but then again self-sufficiency and versatility are overrated qualities in a party based system, which is why I'm not too fond of hybrid classes.

I would question the claim that Greybor does little damage, I have so far noticed no significant deficit in that area. Using Woljif's spell slots for all the buffs he needs to become melee viable is a huge waste if you ask me, nevermind the fact that he is only proficient with simple weapons unless you waste a level to give him martial weapon proficiency. Much like Camellia, Woljif is a lot more resource intensive than Greybor. Slayer not getting debilitating sneak attack is a bit of a bummer I'll admit but there are enough other abilities that lower enemy AC and in exchange he gets Studied Target and Quarry. I would rate Slayer higher than Rogue in general. He can't pick locks, but that's what ArushaBAE is for.
All non casters are resource dependent but from other characters. Non casters neither buff themselves of heal themselves. Let that Regill do it all by his class abilities and potions and see how far you will get lol. Unless you are playing under Core, you can finish the game naked on that difficulty.

Last edited:

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Force of Will which permanently buffs Reg's saves against fear, compulsion or charm.

self-sufficiency and versatility are overrated qualities in a party based system

resource burn is low key a highly important metric.
I don't understand what "low key" means, but in one paragraph you: a) praise Regill for his personal (so, self-sufficient) resistance / immunity; b) bash self-sufficiency for a party based CRPG; c) something about "resource burn" - which is good for a party, but should be avoided for solo.

At which point of your life has your brain been irrevocably damaged? Conception? Childbirth? Child trauma?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't find Camellia useful at all. For tanking there's Regill with his adamantine armor, for sneak attack damage there's Greybor, for hexes there's Ember. Is there anything she does that isn't already covered by someone else?

Self triggered Elemental Barrage since early levels?

Outmind

Augur
I have two quick questions

How does an inquisitor's second judgement work? I'm supposed to be able to choose a second one with the application of a first starting at lvl 8, but there's no choice - there's no little tab like you get with cleric conversion spells for example, just the regular judgement icons. Also, could it be that this has something to do with the infinite judgements mythic ability?

Is it me, or is Regil broken? He hits things with that +2 gnome hook hammer 95% of the time xD.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
The whole build-up in Chilly Creek was just for that? Oh wow.

:rpgcodex:

(Boy, I feel stupid for scouting the entire lcoation with True Seeing in act 3, just to make sure I'm not missing some ancient evil.)

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Did anyone made a LEGEND necromancer? I already finished lich / cruoromancer (but din't did the transformation into lich) and I wanna see if it can work.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Did anyone made a LEGEND necromancer? I already finished lich / cruoromancer (but din't did the transformation into lich) and I wanna see if it can work.
It is pointless because you cannot get to CL 40. Legend is only for martial builds.

Codex Year of the Donut
if there's a neverending supply of highly trained mercenaries how come they don't just solve the problem themselves

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
if there's a neverending supply of highly trained mercenaries how come they don't just solve the problem themselves
Mercenaries are famously generous with their time, and will happily work for free in a crusade that's been going nowhere for a century, instead of taking a lucrative job hunting dragons.

And you know, "neverending", as long as you can fork out enough cash to buy out a half dozen villages.
All non casters are resource dependent but from other characters.
No, they benefit from buffs but are not dependent on them in order to properly function.
Are you playing on easy perhaps? No character who is getting up close to the enemies will survive more than two rounds in act3 and beyond without serious buffs. They'll also do very little damage since they'll miss most attacks.

Codex Year of the Donut
Mercenaries are famously generous with their time, and will happily work for free in a crusade that's been going nowhere for a century, instead of taking a lucrative job hunting dragons.

And you know, "neverending", as long as you can fork out enough cash to buy out a half dozen villages.
All non casters are resource dependent but from other characters.
No, they benefit from buffs but are not dependent on them in order to properly function.
Are you playing on easy perhaps? No character who is getting up close to the enemies will survive more than two rounds in act3 and beyond without serious buffs. They'll also do very little damage since they'll miss most attacks.
but you can just go hire more mercenaries
there's quite literally a neverending amount of them

this feels like a pretty big plothole to me

Humbaba

Arcane
I don't understand what "low key" means
You also didn't understand anything I just wrote but that's par for the course with you easterlings.

If you're having that much trouble with standard encounters in act 3 already then perhaps your build sucks. If you had spec'd your melee fighters correctly then 2 rounds is all they would need to gib the enemy.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
What do you mean? She can into 90 AC, without even multiclassing her, just pure spirit shaman. Ok that's not the 500 AC on a Yosharian build but still pretty tanky...?

Post build for 90 AC. I do not see how you can get this 90 AC for her with her stats and starting choices.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Chilly Creek ought to've began in Chapter 2 ended in Chapter 3. A Coven of Hags could've been more threatening in the mid-level range, they're absolutely nothing when faced as a God-in-flesh in Chapter 5.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
there's quite literally a neverending amount of them
There's not an infinite amount of gold, so no. It's the same reason people dying isn't a plothole because raise dead exists. 6000 gold ain't a lot, but it's a lot if you try to save everyone.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What mythic path would fit a typical mercenary type, fighter/barbarian? Not evil, but not fully good either, mostly in it for the cash and adventure. And I don't mean gameplay, just wondering what would fit it character-wise so I don't go full OCD 30 hours later when I realize I have picked wrong path that does not fit him at all ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom