Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Released

Melmoth

Educated
maybe because it actually suceeds as a medium.

as usual, you rolled two birds with your eye off the ball. but i guess someone has to be there to hit the door with the newspaper

Humanophage

Arcane
now I only play strategy games and wargames, pretty much. Strategy gaming has the merit of somehow not being populated by a constant stream of deliriously aggressive and bitter incel discourses, so there's that - maybe because it actually suceeds as a medium.
Because women don't play strategies, so the attempts to make the genre more appealing to the general audience have not yet risked ruining it:
genre-gender-averages.png

% female can be seen also as a percent of game journos, normies, "scholars", and others showing attention to a genre.

Although to be fair, strategies have plenty of right-wing reaction. Think the MOBA communities, the endless right-wing mods for grand strategies, the concept of the grognard, etc.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I liked the first dungeon. Then you get into the war-torn city and it feels incredibly janky and the dialogue writing was done by 12yr olds:
"Oh hey dude are you a cultist?"
"Yeah bro you should come join."
"Sweet ok, I'm coming over."
"Loool crusaders we got ya boi, you guys suck."
(paraphrasing)
Actually starting dungeon was boring and needlessly long. Once you get to explore the city, this is where the real game starts.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Ok the story is ... bad at best but the gameplay is fun..?
It's hard to be motivated to play through dozens of over-tuned fights (which can all usually be solved with various AOE spells like grease and web) when the story and characters suck. If you want turn-based combat that badly, you can just play chess and it won't cost you $50 (or take you an hour to download the fitgirl repack, if you decide not to pay for it - and I do reccommend you try before you buy at least until you're into Act 1 where you really get to see how gay/bad the characters are written).

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Erebus summed it quite well, lacks that nice natural adventure and mystery aspect of kingmaker, while in WOTR you get thrown into a bunch of shit without much motivation and the writing is shit even if you don’t get triggered by woke stuff. It probably will get better when mythic paths unlock but it’s underwhelming in the beginning besides *some* nice encounters.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Seems this game was always going to be hamstrung by Paizo shit. Pity they didn't go for an original setting for the second outing.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Seems this game was always going to be hamstrung by Paizo shit. Pity they didn't go for an original setting for the second outing.

Doing Paizo adventure paths may be part of the licensing agreement. It wouldn't surprise me terribly much since it strikes me as a win-win for promoting Pathfinder and taking some of the load off Owlcats for developing a setting, story, and characters.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Erebus summed it quite well, lacks that nice natural adventure and mystery aspect of kingmaker, while in WOTR you get thrown into a bunch of shit without much motivation and the writing is shit even if you don’t get triggered by woke stuff. It probably will get better when mythic paths unlock but it’s underwhelming in the beginning besides *some* nice encounters.
The problem is that this module is not meant for any kind of characters. You are supposed to be there because your characters wanted to be a Crusader. Unless you want to play that kind of character it will all seem strange at first. Yes with Mythic paths where your choices matter more it will probably make more sense.
But after city gets unlocked there is some nice mystery and adventuring to be had even in Act 1.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I heard that content takes ~ 35 hours with partymate sidequest, without clearing everything.
I am 20+ hours in and I am not even finished with Act 1... but I am doing fights TB way so everything is slower but also more fun.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The first game was dogshit on a purely mechanical standpoint. Now I hear the expansion has one upped the original by making everything else dogshit. And Codexer's continue to rate this game highly.
:killit:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom