Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode 4 Released

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness; Zeboyd Games

The game that I know you've all been waiting for with bated breath, namely the latest (and last) installment in Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness series (developed by Zeboyd Games), has been released today, complete with a trailer and, of course, an official description:

Penny Arcade’s On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4 concludes the saga of Tycho Brahe, Scion of The Long Project, and his almost certainly human partner Jonathan Gabriel. The world has been destroyed, but existence extends beyond this mortal plane in the gruesome Underhell! The new game expands considerably on its predecessor in size, scope and gameplay. Create the ultimate fighting force by recruiting bizarre, occasionally disgusting monsters and teaming them up with the best trainer for the job.​

You can grab the game on Steam if, for whatever reason, you feel like it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They were giving out the third for free a couple of weeks ago so I suppose I should at least try it.

Tigranes

Arcane
Tried the first, very boring. It was basically Progress Quest with a few PA references, except PA isn't funny enough to be funny when referenced intertextually.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Hipster mentality. Also they started early in the history of the internetz before you had half a million podcasting/webzine idiots.

Repressed Homosexual
Penny Arcade are fucking scum and I have no idea how they're as popular as they are. Look at their latest scam kickstarter with a $10 goal to create a couple of podcasts: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pennyarcade/penny-arcades-podcast-downloadable-content-the-ret

I wouldn't play a JRPG with Penny Arcade "humor" if you paid me. It sounds like torture.

That was outrageous.

They must have enough money to retire confortablt by now, sad they aren't doing it. They're probably addicted to their regular ego trips and sanctimonious judgments, and want to see how far they can exploit the hundreds of thousands of imbeciles who worship them.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Why would you retire in your early/mid thirties when you get hundreds of thousands of dollars for writing a web comic and attending events?

Murk

Arcane
Huh, wasn't the first game in 3d? when did they regress to rpgmaker and ff6 rip offs?

Absalom

Wait, they're already released it? And wasn't this just supposed to be a trilogy anyway?
Huh, wasn't the first game in 3d? when did they regress to rpgmaker and ff6 rip offs?
After the 2nd, since the first two didn't make enough money, ironically. The 3rd was alright, and the humor was actually decent (esp. in the monster descriptions) when they weren't making references no one gave a shit about.

Course, I played it when they released a free version. Not sure if I would pay money for it

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The first two were made by Hothead games and, as mentioned, they ditched the license after they sold poorly.

Eyeball

Arcane
I liked the QTE/JRPG mechanics of the first game in the series. Writing was, naturally, indescribably awful, but the gameplay was good for what it was.

These I see no reason even to pirate.

kazgar

Arcane
I've been playing the third on and off since the codes got released, finding the combat rather boring, which is a shame because there's a lot of it. First two had nice environments and the combat was interesting.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I also played and enjoyed the first game well enough, though not so much that I would purchase three more sequels. I'm not sure where all the hate for these guys come from around here. Sure, they are cheerleaders for AAA games and WOTC, but on the other hand they've created PAX, which seems to have taken the place of the increasingly boring E3 and have somehow created a niche where they get to surround themselves with games for a living. Not bad for two guys working together in a company they started up after high school. If you don't like the humor, fine, but there are more worthy targets of venomous bile.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I couldn't give a crap about Episode 1/2.

Episode 3 was one of the better "class-based combat focused" JRPGs IMO, on par with something like FF5. Since that's its intention, I'm not sure why anyone would care about the writing.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I only visit Penny Arcade to watch Checkpoint, Extra Credits (not as good as when it was on escapist), and Strip Search. Checkpoint is damned hilarious.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
After the 2nd, since the first two didn't make enough money, ironically. The 3rd was alright, and the humor was actually decent (esp. in the monster descriptions) when they weren't making references no one gave a shit about.
Yeah, I was about to say the same thing. Last I heard about this, it had a similar art style to the comic, where-as this looks like yet another self-referential jokey game made with RPG Maker.

Revenant

I also played and enjoyed the first game well enough, though not so much that I would purchase three more sequels. I'm not sure where all the hate for these guys come from around here. Sure, they are cheerleaders for AAA games and WOTC, but on the other hand they've created PAX, which seems to have taken the place of the increasingly boring E3 and have somehow created a niche where they get to surround themselves with games for a living. Not bad for two guys working together in a company they started up after high school. If you don't like the humor, fine, but there are more worthy targets of venomous bile.
That's because Penny Arcade stands for everything that is wrong with this world - hipster glasses, faggoty webcomic art direction, horrible fantasy humor and most of all regurgitated simulacra of consumer culture spewed over all the public space. Such people are the sign of things to come, a glimpse at the grim future where there are only hipsters of uncertain gender discussing abominable disgusting nonsense.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I used to love Penny Arcade but it has really gone down the shitter in the last few years. The first two games by Hothead were okay but mostly saved by the humor - however I really liked the third one as it had combat gameplay that was actually good, like the other Zeboyd not-JRPGs. I'll probably try this one out at some point.

Why would you retire in your early/mid thirties when you get hundreds of thousands of dollars for writing a web comic and attending events?
Sounds a hell of a lot better than slaving away at a shitty job you hate, or training to be some asshole backstabbing businessman.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Episode 3 was seriously padded out with "random" fights compared to first two episodes, though. I'll probably play through Episode 4 when it goes 50% off just to see how the series concludes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom