Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pentiment - Josh Sawyer's historical mystery narrative-driven game set in 16th century Bavaria

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Imagine banking on a game that depends on the dry writing of sawyer. People should stick to their strength, and story telling and writing is not Sawyers.

ferratilis

Magister
This looks like the kind of game Josh would make if he left Obsidian and turned indie. This way, he makes an indie game and still gets paid 250k a year. Win-win.

PoE3 is never coming out, is it?
:negative:

Gargaune

Magister
This looks like the kind of game Josh would make if he left Obsidian and turned indie. This way, he makes an indie game and still gets paid 250k a year. Win-win.

PoE3 is never coming out, is it?
:negative:
Au contraire, that Obsidian's letting Sawyer make his little pet project is probably the price they pay for having him balance the next Pillars of Snoozefest. On top of the 250k, naturally.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
$20: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/06/12/obsidian-entertainment-announces-pentiment/

Obsidian Entertainment Announces Pentiment

This is Obsidian’s third year being a part of the Summer Showcase, and for the third year in a row, we are announcing a new game. Today, we have the pleasure of introducing the world to Pentiment, a 16th-century narrative adventure game directed by Studio Design Director Josh Sawyer. As you will see, this game is brought to life by a talented team who were inspired by illuminated manuscripts, woodcut prints, and history itself.

In Pentiment, you play Andreas Maler, a journeyman artist working in the bygone scriptorium of Kiersau Abbey during a time of great social unrest. While finishing his masterpiece, Andreas inadvertently becomes entangled in a series of murders that take place over 25 years. Peasants, thieves, craftsmen, monks, nuns, nobles, and even saints must be investigated and interrogated to expose the truth.

PentimentInline2-2f721826501bc1805956.jpg

It will be up to players to decide Andreas’ choices, from his educational background and lifestyle to how he investigates the murders. One day he may be digging up a dead monk in the abbey cemetery, the next might be spent eavesdropping on peasant gossip at the ladies’ spinning bee. Every decision and accusation he makes carries consequences that will impact the tightly-knit Alpine community for generations to come.

We are very excited to share this unique interpretation of life in 16th-century Germany, and we can’t wait to release more information with you about Pentiment leading up to its launch this November.

PentimentInline3-d0d419bc72e6dad39134.jpg

In addition to Pentiment, we have also announced the full release of Grounded, and we know fans are excited for updates on Avowed and The Outer Worlds 2. Both games are progressing, and we can’t wait to show them off at a later date.

Pentiment will release this November on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Windows 10/11, and Steam for $19.99. It will also be available on day one with Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
imagine paying someone $250k a year for THIS

Imagine paying millions for Obsidian and it's overpaid and inept executives, only to have them release this and missmanage Avowed's development into the ground.

Inxile, and obsidian are proving to be Microsoft's worse buys, and nothing more than the Walmart movies of gamepass, fit only for filler content.

Salvo

Arcane
I don't think it looks that bad, if the mystery is interesting it could be worth a shot
Keep in mind I'm biased towards medieval mystery stories a-la name of the rose though

BlackheartXIII

Educated

apparnatily Zoe Franznick was the sole associated narrative designer on Pentiment (joined in july 2021), probably the majority of the text was written by Sawyer and Dollarhyde.

Sentinel

Arcane

I will no longer try it.

PS:
Pentiment contains public executions, stylized gore, suicide, references to abortion, frequent strong language, references to sexual assault, and references to sexual activities. Small parts of the game also reference notable alcohol consumption and incidental ergot-induced hallucinations.
I will definitely try it.

Shin

Cipher
Although I love the idea of a historically accurate cRPG set in 16th century Bavaria, I wasn't ready for this shit.

I was thinking this was going to be a tighter, leaner and better iteration of what PoE tried to do in terms of gameplay. But Josh is making a flash game instead. What a joke.

KVVRR

Learned
I get what they were going for but I really dislike the game's artstyle. The characters moving like the in-game portions of Darkest Dungeon doesn't help at all.

Sentinel

Arcane
I'm glad Sawyer is doing something unique that he cares about instead of the generic garbage we get year in year out, and that includes all the copy pasted cRPGs.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
When I was skimming over the thread titles, I red: non-narrative combat RPG. For a sec I was about to form a fist, but oh well...

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
This looks like Josh Sawyer’s wet dream of a game, has all his topics of interest in it. Remember the last time a game was like that? Pillars of Eternity. Barf.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Inxile, and obsidian are proving to be Microsoft's worse buys, and nothing more than the Walmart movies of gamepass, fit only for filler content.

Whoa, leave inXile out of this. Apparently they're moving along just fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom