Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

GarlandExCon

Arcane
I understand why Morgana urging the player to sleep is annoying to a lot of people, but really it's just a mechanic to limit your activities throughout the day. If there was no limit on what you could do during a day, you'd just max out all your relationships and activities in a few days. The limited nature of the days is an integral (and I believe good) part of the gameplay and it causes you to weigh your decisions more carefully.

I mean I know why they did it, but I feel like they could have found a slightly less annoying way to do it. Granted, it did make for a great shirt:

312W3R1BHfL.jpg

Silva

Arcane
Funny that I'm in last palace and the network feature says the average player level is 69, but I'm at level 57 myself. That's... weird.

And the game is dragging a bit. Last visual novel sequence took so long I slep in the sofa.

I feel the high points so far are the first 2 or 3 palaces (Kamoshida mainly) and the game goes slowly downhill from there, even if it never gets actually bad from a story standpoint. But I liked Futaba arc. She and Yusuke are the best NPCs imo.

Edit: Wow the game REALLY drags huh? Last palace is cringeworth as fuck with those multi-part puzzle. I just entered "want to see the ending" mode and put it on Easy just to finish it. It's unfortunate and something I didn't do since... well probably my SNES days.

Last edited:

Hassar

Scholar
I could not get into the game. I really tried to like it but the cast seemed unrealistic to me and I guess I outgrew anime of this type. I do appreciate that the developers have developed a system outside of the battle screens. I like the idea and look of the game but portions of it feel like style over substance.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
As a middle-aged man, I don't really know how to feel about the fact I'm addicted to this game. Kudos to the RPCS3 team, it's perfectly playable now in the latest build and I'm just about to start the 4th palace. I've played P3 and 4 but got fed up with the dull palaces and dropped them after a few hours, but this one has almost perfected the gameplay loop.

My only gripe is I how much more Charm I need to make Makoto my waifu! I have no shame...

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
...This is a good fucking game.

I'm having a blast with this one even though I generally hate anime/anime type shit... Everything from the detail in the city, to the combat system and dungeons to the addictive school/'real life' sim just melds together into a very fun experience.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

I'm having a blast with this one even though I generally hate anime/anime type shit... Everything from the detail in the city, to the combat system and dungeons to the addictive school/'real life' sim just melds together into a very fun experience.
If you like the combat system then you'll probably enjoy pretty much any Atlus RPG. They're all fairly deep, challenging and extremely fun. If you're able to then you should try the Shin Megami Tensei (the mainline series) or Etrian Odyssey games. As far as combat goes they are far and above better than what Persona offers, which is already quite good.

GarlandExCon

Arcane

It really is a game you get lost inside.

My favorite things about these games have always been the mood they are able to set and the music.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

It really is a game you get lost inside.

My favorite things about these games have always been the mood they are able to set and the music.
Yeah man- I avoided this game forever since I personally despise anime but it was on sale and I figured i'd give it a try. I wasnt expecting much...Now I'm at around 50 hours and totally addicted.

The gameplay loop is incredible, the presentation top notch and I would listen to this soundtrack in my car- I've never played anything like this. It exudes 'cool'.

I feel like a kid again, back when games contained some wonder- I've been playing non stop and thinking about the damn game when i'm not playing it. The dialogue and situations can be beyond ridiculous and the 'angsy teen' thing I would think I would find it stupid but quite the contrary, I love it. It works and it works well. Even the anime parts and crazy story is just overflowing with awesomeness. And i love the cat.

I've been sucked into this in a way that hasnt happened in a very long time. Its really fun, its really cool and its got its hooks in me- This is probably going to end up being my favorite JRPG because its just so damn fun.

edit- I've tried to avoid spoilers but browsing this thread I see alot of people saying its really easy on 'normal' difficulty...I think its about right for me- Normally easy is easy but with the way time works in this game and how you have to make several trips to a dungeon I think 'normal' is a good sweet spot...I wipe occasionally and the fights present a good challenge for me.

It also seems like there might just be a multi-layered and deep story somewhere in here that will all tie together- ot the Japanese are just insane.

Last edited:

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I wanna bang make my waifu Dr. Tae Takemi or maybe that old Teacher/Maid.

Minor spoiler:

If you max the Temperance confidant, before the Hawaii trip occurs, this is what the teacher will be wearing, when you meet her.
Unless you "friendzoned" her, that is.

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The gameplay loop is incredible, the presentation top notch and I would listen to this soundtrack in my car- I've never played anything like this. It exudes 'cool'.

I feel like a kid again, back when games contained some wonder- I've been playing non stop and thinking about the damn game when i'm not playing it.

Yeah I think it kinda helps that I never played a Persona game before but damn if it doesn't bring me the joy I lost from gaming for being too old and jaded. As you said, it's one of the few games in this generation which managed to replicate that sense of wonder and excitement for me, even with all the decline and weeabisms it has, which really says something about the strength of its presentation.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
Has anyone ever actually played through one of these games again the second time so you can max out other social links, etc.

I always say I'm going to do it, and then I don't.

Swigen

Arbiter
Has anyone ever actually played through one of these games again the second time so you can max out other social links, etc.

I’d like to play through Persona 4 Golden again, but this time make that bitch with the suspenders my waifu instead of Rise. I think the “extra dungeon” has to do with “saving her” or something as well, but it’s been awhile since I played it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yes, but only P3 one since it's the most replayable one for me. P4 & 5 are so on-rails that it hurts replays, but P3 is quite content sparse (for better or for worse is up to you) and you quite often have several days/weeks/even months with no immediate goals to fulfill so you have more freedom with S.Links and Tartarus.

Swigen

Arbiter
I was enjoying P3 but the fucken thing crashed on my Vita a few too many times.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
I kinda want to see what Haru's garden is all about... but I'm not even 20% into the new DragonQuest so...

Persona 5 is the first game where I managed to max all my social links the first time around. :dance:

cosmicray

Savant
I've replayed P3 and P4 several times. Although... I simply couldn't bring myself to actually finish them. Always stopping short of the last dungeon or at some point(in P3's PSP version) in the plot. Didn't want to end the journey, I guess. Don't know if I'll replay P5. P3 and P4 had memorable school/party trips/gatherings/festivals. P5 was lacking in that aspect severely.
P3, though, is notoriously hard to max in one go.

Persona 5 is the first game where I managed to max all my social links the first time around.
It's easy. I would have done it had I not wasted time thinking I should clear the dungeon at the last moment possible, like it was in P3 and P4(not sure here). The more days you wait to go to the dungeon, the less S.Links become available to the point they just disappear until you clear mission dungeon. In the end one S.Link remained unmaxed.

Duraframe300

Arcane
There's really not much to do in the second playthrough except the fights against the
twins
and the final pesona.

Also, I have. Did it for all 3 games in fact. Also got the Platinum for Golden and 5.
Which is easy since it basically just requires you to do all the content instead of grindy stuff.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
https://gematsu.com/2019/03/persona-5-the-royal-announced-for-ps4

Persona 5: The Royal announced for PS4
More information coming April 24.

Following a tease in December 2018, Atlus has announced Persona 5: The Royal for PlayStation 4. It is an RPG.
A short teaser commercial debuted following today’s Persona 5 the Animation: Stars and Ours broadcast. In it, a voice asks, “What do you think of the Phantom Thieves?” A new female character responds, “I think helping people is a wonderful thing, but if I had to say, I don’t like them. I don’t think the Phantom Thieves’ methods will make the world a better place or help anyone. In the end, I feel like you can only solve that yourself.”
More information will be announced on April 24 at the Persona Super Live concert.
Watch the teaser commercial below. Visit the teaser website here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom