Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Personal hygiene in RPGs

V_K

Arcane
In tune with the times, the other day I was trying to remember an RPG that had a "stinky" or "smelly" debuff that lowered the character's Charisma and required soap to remove. Just as I was writing this post to ask if someone remembers what it was, it finally dawned on me that it was Drakensang. So I'll ask you another question - what other role-playing games can you think of where personal hygiene plays a role?

Vatnik Wumao
The Witcher 3. Gotta get yourself presentable with a bath and a shave before meeting Emhyr var Emreis, The White Flame Dancing on the Barrows of his Enemies, Emperor of Nilfgaard, King of Cintra, Lord of Metinna, Ebbing and Gemmera, Sovereign of Nazair and Vicovaro. :obviously:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
having a bath and getting your garments cleaned in kingdom come: deliverance is extremely chill.

you can also get your depressed butler in queen's wish to give you a quick trim for the sake of looking presentable

Reality

Learned
You're going to have to crawl through those sewers and you're going to have to LIKE IT.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Cataclysm DDA has a hair trimmer, soap and razor to shave yourself and washing board to clean your clothes.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
But does it have any gameplay effect?
Yep, when you wear filthy clothing (taken from zombies) your morale plummets, fresh haircut and shaving get you a morale bonus. Morale is very important for almost every action in the game. When morale is too low, you can't even craft simplest thing like roasted meat.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Scruffy show your worth, or ill strip you of janitor title
You know, one thing I always thought, as a fan of post-apoc games and books, was that no game or book really talked about one of the obvious pleasures of such a world: a warm bath and a dry towel and clean clothes. Of course, none of that would make for a good game, but at least hinting at it would make sense.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
If heroes wouldn't be strongly resistant to bacteria, they are sprayed by blood and other stuff so often they would be dead. I also sincirelly doubt they have chance deep in mountain or month in sewers to get... Either they don't care about smell and other stuff, or all hero clothes needs to be enchanted to be able to remove any smell from them. For example to reduce chance to be tracked by dogs of police send after them by government before they would be amnestied.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
In Dark Souls 3, whenever you struck an enemy they would spray their ash 'blood' on you. If you rolled in water, it would clean that shit right off. :cool:

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
So not so much about hygiene but very much in the spirit of the times in NEO scavenger you can wear a rag on your face that gives you a chance to avoid contracting an airborne disease in certain locations and encounters. Over time it would get dirty and you could wash it but that has no gameplay effect as far as I know.

Vatnik Wumao
Wearing a mask made out of the stitched, stinky skin of ghouls in Fallout 3 makes other stinky ghouls friendly.

Edit: It's unhygienic to put ghoul skin upon your face, V_K.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
There are condoms in ATOM: RPG; and if you have them, some hookers could give you a discount.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom