Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Personally, I think it's now safe to say Disco Elysium is better than Planescape: Torment.

user

Savant
I agree with the OP, not to mention that PT is massively overrated, I don't get why it's worshipped here. You play as an amnesiac with, not one, but many toxic personalities, and to be honest is full of sexist tropes and doesn't treat Annah, Fall-From-Grace and Lady of Pain as well as they deserve.

ResetRPG

Novice
Capitalism absolutely is responsible for this. Science was the means but capitalism was the engine. Without proper incentive people as a whole aren't going to try to innovate, itterate, etc.

Look at the progression of science pre and post capitalism. Sure some people would always seek out knowledge for the sake of knowledge, and others would seek to create new technology for the good of mankind out of pure altruism, but the majority of people won't - they need incentive.

Further, Capitalism provides the incentive for one of the largest drivers of technological advancement - iteration. Without the incentive of profit, there's no reason to try to build a better mouse trap if the current mouse trap does the job.
I don't necessarily agree with incentive per say. For example, in my experience most physicians I have interacted with say that they do what they do because they want to help people, the money is just an extra benefit. And I know from the importance of statistics like Job satisfaction that people want to do a job for reasons beyond just money, but money is of course the most important reason.

I think what makes Modern Capitalism so effective is that is able to effectively mass produce these technologies and inventions made and make them easily accessible to the greater public.

At the end of the day, the smartphone is a great invention, but without market forces and trade- they would not be nearly as accessible to the common man. You can pretty much apply this to every modern invention that humans rely on for daily life.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
You struggle against divine forces that rule the universe, whereas DE is the usual Jewish drivel dealing with personal angst and how everything is so meaningless.
Is this why Jews persistently lobby for wars and other so-called diplomatic strategies in order to reshape human society to forcibly fulfill their prophecy (attempting to control divinity), no matter the cost? You are confounding what you think is bad with Jewishness.

You struggle against divine forces that rule the universe, whereas DE is the usual Jewish drivel dealing with personal angst and how everything is so meaningless.
Is this why Jews persistently lobby for wars and other so-called diplomatic strategies in order to reshape human society to forcibly fulfill their prophecy (attempting to control divinity), no matter the cost? You are confounding what you think is bad with Jewishness.
No, I am not. Jewish intellectuals and authors hardly espouse transcendental heroic ideals in their works. Read people like Kafka. They have readily spread hedonistic beliefs in the world. I won't clutter this thread with this stuff any further.

I've said how I perceive PST and DE and if you think my take is absolutely retarded, that's alright.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
full of sexist tropes
True the misandry in Planescape is disgusting. The lives of the many male characters revolve entirely around The Nameless One. Disgusting how little agency they have! Strong and independent male characters are important in times like these, but no the men of Planescape are just submissive.

Unfettered capitalism can lead to issues - ala child labor, etc
Give me one good reason why child labor is an issue and not an opportunity for children to become economically independent and gain work experience.
This, but unironically. Our public school system is so fucked that children would be better off interning or working when they couldn't afford private or home schooling. It's sad, but that's the reality. Besides, schoolwork is unpaid labor already.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Give me one good reason why child labor is an issue and not an opportunity for children to become economically independent and gain work experience.
This, but unironically. Our public school system is so fucked that children would be better off interning or working when they couldn't afford private or home schooling. It's sad, but that's the reality. Besides, schoolwork is unpaid labor already.
If public schools close, capitalism is fucked because all "education" cost will be on the shoulder of companies.

If public schools close, capitalism is fucked because all "education" cost will be on the shoulder of companies.
Corporations already have to train new employees at their own expense. Many operate in-house training schools.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant

Capitalism is on the verge of fucked because "education" has trained a generation of children that communism is good, do what feels best regardless the consequence, western civilization is terrible and racist - and all resulting western ideas are trash - and that we should embrace moral relativism.

BruceVC

Magister
I agree with the OP, not to mention that PT is massively overrated, I don't get why it's worshipped here. You play as an amnesiac with, not one, but many toxic personalities, and to be honest is full of sexist tropes and doesn't treat Annah, Fall-From-Grace and Lady of Pain as well as they deserve.
I agree with you around how Grace gets treated, the fact you cant have sex with her is criminal and we should all be outraged

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Corporations already have to train new employees at their own expense. Many operate in-house training schools.
These trainings are only the last step of an education that lasts for decades.
Imagine if the employer has to teach his eployees how to read and write.

Harthwain

Magister
I've said how I perceive PST and DE [...]
Uh-huh. I find it more likely you're just another account of the troll who made this thread. Or an accomplice who came here to help him (which amounts to the same thing). Idiots talking about the imagined communist propaganda are understandable, but a loon who talks about "aryan, semitic, jewish" bullshit in the context of the whole game is a first, even for a game so highly political as Disco Elysium.

Capitalism is on the verge of fucked because "education" has trained a generation of children that communism is good
In which country? I can't name a capitalist country that says communism is good.

I've said how I perceive PST and DE [...]
Uh-huh. I find it more likely you're just another account of the troll who made this thread. Or an accomplice who came here to help him (which amounts to the same thing). Idiots talking about the imagined communist propaganda are understandable, but a loon who talks about "aryan, semitic, jewish" bullshit in the context of the whole game is a first, even for a game so highly political as Disco Elysium.
I am afraid that's just how I am.
:dealwithit:

Harthwain

Magister
It's actually insulting how lazy you are. Next time make a sleeper account - wait a few months, maybe a year (ideally more). Start carefully posting, bit by bit, in a way that doesn't attract too much attention but makes your face blend in with the crowd. Then drop your bomb, but make it so like you're not actually trying too hard (which isn't that hard, if you know what you're doing, which you obviously don't, because you're an outsider). Do that and you will have much easier time to pass as a Codexer.

But thanks for confirming my point by not even trying to argue.

It's actually insulting how lazy you are. Next time make a sleeper account - wait a few months, maybe a year (ideally more). Start carefully posting, bit by bit, in a way that doesn't attract too much attention but makes your face blend in with the crowd. Then drop your bomb, but make it so like you're not actually trying too hard (which isn't that hard, if you know what you're doing, which you obviously don't, because you're an outsider). Do that and you will have much easier time to pass as a Codexer.

But thanks for confirming my point by not even trying to argue.
:nocountryforshitposters:

I actually believe all that I wrote about DE and PST. Sure, I could replace the term "Aryan" with the more scholarly "Indo-European" and make my arguments less provocative by toning down my expression and expanding on why I think the struggles of heroes of Indo-European mythologies are reflected in PST to a certain degree, but we are on the internet and I like to have little fun sometimes. (Besides, I had to write it on a phone)

Everybody on Codex puts on a persona. It's a playful game. My attitude on Codex is a dramatization of my actual personality and most people here and on the internet act out a particular aspect of themselves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom