Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Pete Hines: Oblivion delivered what was promised

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Vault Dweller, Mar 22, 2007.

1. psycojester Arbiter

psycojester
    Everybody take a few moments to just consider that sentance. Thats a steaming load of weasel shit right there.

^ Top  
  2. kingcomrade Kingcomrade Edgy

kingcomrade
    What are you talking about? We had many discussions leading up to the release of Oblivion and I would say that it did indeed turn out to be the steaming pile that we expected.

^ Top  
  3. psycojester Arbiter

psycojester
    I just like his phrasing there

"As it turns out": Implying its a conclusion based on factual observation

"I feel like" contradicts the first and removes any burden of evidence by making the statement an empthatic response

^ Top  
  4. Dire Roach Prophet

Dire Roach
    Behold the magick of Pete's words! All he said is that he's certain that he feels like the game was perfect. He never claimed that the game actually met everyone's expectations as a fact...

Truly, he is a Master of Illusion.

^ Top  
  5. enchanted_eyeball Novice

enchanted_eyeball
    I don't know, but I find the entire article written in a very defensive way and I am surprised by that, more than I am surprised of its content.
    People, who always want to explain themselves unnecessarily or talk like they have to hold their shield front of them before they speak are people who know that they aren't exactly telling the truth and they embrace themselves for critique, which they can't handle well.

Remember when you were very young and did something bad and tried to explain yourself out of it? Everyone else was guilty expect you, matter effect you will lie that you were actually the good guy and others were the bad.
    It's an immature behavior and those people who were not taught to admit guilt or recognize a mistake they made are usually develop this defensive type of dialog in which they first point out that they are right and there is no point to disagree, and then talk about the main point.

These people are usually the ones who will retaliate in a violent matter against the ones who disagree with them, instead of pulling out the facts and comparing checks and balances and see if the critique has a point and adjust accordingly.

Ok. Psychology class is over.

My conclusion is, that Pete Hines does have the symptoms of this psychological "disorder" and usually people with such problem are the worst choice in any leadership position anywhere, because their unbalaned and unfair views usually cause harm and dissapointment.

^ Top  
  6. Amasius Augur

Amasius
    But I feel harmed and dissapointed. :(

^ Top  
  7. Voss Erudite

Voss
    Aww, bullshit psychology.

Wtf, people. They made it, people bought it, they're pretty happy with their cash, and the mainstream cattle are reasonably satisified (which is all they care about) with their purchase. What the hell do you expect them to say?

'We knew that current market conditions in the industry mean that we just have to make mediocre games, so thats what we do. We'd like to thank all the people with disposable income who don't over-analyze their entertainment purchases. Buy from us again next time.'

People may not expect much from their purchases, but they damn well expect better PR BS than that.

Bollocks. Of course he's going give a wash of self-satisfied empty gibberish. Thats his fucking job. If he wanted meaning in his life he'd be rescuing orphans and curing cancer.

^ Top  
  8. Naked Ninja Arbiter

Naked Ninja
    You guys are never going to get over this are you? Ever? It'll be 2 years from now and VD will still be scouring every corner of the internet for even the vaguest mention of Oblivion to post about, which will be followed by 7 or 8 pages of jeering and stupid repetitive jokes about seeing mudcrabs.

Honestly, can you not move past this now? Its actually more than a little pathetic.

Sigh, who am I kidding, you're not going to stop this until Fallout 3 is released, and then we can look forward to 5 or 6 years of jeering over that. I started reading the codex because I was impressed with your review of Oblivion, the only site I'd come across to point out its real flaws. But for fucks sake, its just enough now, time to let this shit go.

^ Top  
  9. Bradylama Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Bradylama
    What a load of shit. 2 years from now we'll be talking about Fallout 3. Don't you pay attention? :?

^ Top  
  10. psycojester Arbiter

psycojester
    That would be the best Press conference eve. For complete accuracy he would have to be bending the guy who wrote the Elder Scrolls Lore over a table taking him roughly from behind. With little Toddy on hand to lick up any spillage...... On second thoughts that would probably be the gayest press conference ever as well.

^ Top  
  11. Morbus Scholar

Morbus
    OMG, and even after this, there will be people expecting Fallout 3 to be a good RPG? :lol:

I say we blackball bethesda :lol:

^ Top  
  12. cutterjohn Cipher

cutterjohn
    1UP unsurprisingly has a "review" of the PS3 version in which they give it a 9.5/10. Did they really need yet another review for the same fucking game? (And I wonder how much that 9.5/10 cost Bethesda as the same place only gave NWN2 a 6/10, while it was an infinitely better CRPG, although not that great of one, but it was still an RPG... Hell they even gave it a higher score than FFXII which is the type of "RPG" that SHOULD be on a console and is even actually a j"RPG"... WTF?!)

^ Top  
  13. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Well, tell the fucking media to stop asking questions about Oblivion, and don't forget to bitch at RPG Watch for posting this interview. Better yet, don't read and comment in threads you don't like. Example: I dislike many idiotic debates in the General Forum, so I don't participate in them.

^ Top  
  14. Naked Ninja Arbiter

Naked Ninja
    Tell the fucking media? Why should I tell "the media"? Perhaps you can give me "the media"s email address, so I can tell them?

Its the codexers who go round and round on this topic like a fucking broken record. Those reviews and links you keep posting are from different sites. Its not the same site going on and on and on about the same thing all the fucking time. So some obscure little gaming site has gotten round to their Oblivion review, or they are reviewing the PS3 port, so what? Do you have to rehash this every single time? Its bordering on obsessive compulsive.

^ Top  
  15. Lumpy Arcane

Lumpy
    I agree with Ninja. Go ahead and post as many Shivering Isles or Fallout 3 news as possible, but covering Oblivion, an year old have, seems kinda pointless.

^ Top  
  16. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    You can start with the site that posted this interview. I'm sure that the email address could be easily found.

1UP is an obscure little site?
    http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3158125
    You are trying too hard to prove my obsession, eagerly overlooking tons of facts, presenting a different point of view. There are many Oblivion articles being posted every week, and I report only a few items. In March I made 3 Bethesda related newsposts: Shivering Isles interview, Bethesda recruiting, and this "Oblivion delivered" newspost. What seems to be the problem and why?

^ Top  
  17. Naked Ninja Arbiter

Naked Ninja
    The problem is you aren't letting this go. Does it have to be rehashed over and over? Your bethesda recruiting post, this one, all of them, are just excuses for the Codex to wheel out its tired old Oblivion/Bethesda jokes. Ahaha, I saw a mudcrab, hysterical.

Please don't tell me I'm missing facts. The most obvious one is available to all. Just search the forums for the number of threads about Oblivion/Bethesda/Todd/Pete. Its staggering for a site that expresses so much disdain for the game and the company.

And now this one. "Pete Hines : Oblivion Delivered what was promised". Just another excuse for pages and pages of comments about how they didn't do that, and that they're liars and blah blah blah, intermingled with attempts to outdo each others lame oblivion jokes. You guys have said this stuff how many times now? Why does it need to be said again?

^ Top  
  18. GhanBuriGhan Erudite

GhanBuriGhan
    :!:

^ Top  
  19. Azael Magister

Azael
    Wasteland 2
    Well, the sad fact is that there's not a single mainstream CRPG to look forward to at the moment and not many indie efforts either. Really, if we stopped bitching about Oblivion/Bethesda/mudcrabs there'd be very little to talk about. It's a fucking shame, but there you have it.

^ Top  
  20. don_tomaso Liturgist

don_tomaso
    :?:

^ Top  
  21. Dementia Praecox Arbiter

Dementia Praecox
    Seriously, as long as you have that sig of yours, question marks are out of bounds for you.

^ Top  
  22. SlavemasterT Arcane

SlavemasterT
    Why are you surprised that a site full of angry cunts would enjoy spending time ridiculing people whose shitty RPG design philosophies we dislike? We can spend our time however we want to, fuck off if you don't like it. Also, there are plenty of news items that don't involve Beth; they almost invariably involve games that sound shitty and uninteresting (where at least Bethesda news is shitty and somewhat interesting), but you can go look in those threads if that's what floats your boat.

Further, it isn't unreasonable to scrutinize Bethesda's activities since a) they're developing FO3, b) by popular acclaim they're the leader of the RPG market, and c) most of us don't like where they're leading the genre.

^ Top  
  23. Naked Ninja Arbiter

Naked Ninja
    @Azael : I think you've hit on the truth there. Sigh.

^ Top  
  24. Walkin' Dude Liturgist

Walkin' Dude
    I saw a mudcrab the other day.

^ Top  
  25. serch Magister Patron

serch
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Oblivion is the most prominent example of the sad state of our hobby. I'll keep bashing it until another one takes its place or I get what I want. It has all the sense of the world.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.