Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Pete Hines: Oblivion delivered what was promised

Hazelnut

Erudite
It turns out that I feel like we delivered on what people expected. There was no bump, people didn't say, 'It's good but not as good as it should have been.' I think the scores and awards reflect that we delivered on people's expectations.

Selective listening FTW! And I thought it was mainly a teenage affliction.

We recognise that what we're really good at is roleplaying

Yeah, I bet you all pat yourselves on your backs like a buncha yes men - anyone who challenges is deemed "not a team player" and subsequently shuts up or leaves right?

:evil:

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Why should theyc are about what 1% of the fanbase thinks? R00fles! They still have the other 99% of them that ar ehappy. R00fles!

I did not say they should care. I just pointed out that it is a lie to say that NO ONE was disappointed. THAT is a FACT!

Face it, WD. You and your handful of buddies simply aren't important. Deal with it, SUCKA!

I post on an RPG forum. I don't have any buddies. I know I am unimportant, so I post here to pretend that I matter. GAME OVER! ROOfles!

Section8

Cipher
People were expecting the game to cure blindness and heal the sick. It turns out that I feel like we delivered on what people expected.

Pete, you're a fucking cunt and you make me sick. If only I had Oblivion to heal me. You FUCKING WHORE. I can't wait until karma catches up to you. Or your loved ones, you filthy fucking shill. Say hi to your oncologist for me.

XOXOXOX

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"How do you know that´s a fact? source, plz.."

No less a fact than those claiming Oblivion sucks the big one and that despite the reveiws, and it's obvious success; it's not well liked. R00fles!

"I know I am unimportant, so I post here to pretend that I matter"

Join the club except I *know* I am unimportant and don't pretend otherwise. R00fles!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
That's the point. He pretends that he si though. That's the coward's way out. Have the ballz to not pretend.

taxacaria

Scholar
Admiral jimbob said:
I'm important. I am the Admiral.

Last_man.jpg

Texas Red

Whiner
Volourn, youre somewhat naive and simple to believe that the scores of the "reviews" reflect the opinions of real gamers, arent you?

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
Volourn said:
That's the point. He pretends that he si though. That's the coward's way out. Have the ballz to not pretend.

No, I have never pretended to be important here. I figure most people here do not even recognize me when I post. The rest probably confuse me with The Walkin' Dude.

I just happen to be bored today.

Fez

Erudite
You could always change your name if you are worried about confusion between the two of you.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Volourn, youre somewhat naive and simple to believe that the scores of the "reviews" reflect the opinions of real gamers, arent you?"

You brought up the reveiws, Dumbfuck, not me. I simply pointed out the vast majority of people who played the game, enjoyed it. Stop pretending your cronies are the majority of folks.

WD: No problemo. It's all good, boring fun. That's why I post on the net. :D

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
Fez said:
You could always change your name if you are worried about confusion between the two of you.

I could start a poll, and see what my new name should be! I bet you guys could come up with some great suggestions.

Or not. I happen to lake the moniker and just don't care enough to make the effort.

Joe Krow

Erudite
How do you define success?

For Bethesda success is a sales target. Oblivion sold. It was a success.

For the long time fans of the series and crpg fans in general (which may only make up 5% of those that bought it) Oblivion was a complete failure.

... I guess what i'm saying is I think your both right. Kiss and make up. Faggots.

don_tomaso

Liturgist
Volourn said:
"How do you know that´s a fact? source, plz.."

No less a fact than those claiming Oblivion sucks the big one and that despite the reveiws, and it's obvious success; it's not well liked. R00fles!

Exacly, so what you said is not fact, only assumption..
Also, a few reviewers here and there have had a change of heart when it comes to the big O and said, at least indirectly in some of the cases, that "oblivion isnt what it could have been, yadayada".. In other words, a disappointment..

And that it sold X million copies doesn´t mean that a lot of people weren´t dissappointed, it means that the hypemachine did it´s job..

aries202

Erudite
I wondered about this one as well. :huh: :?
As far as I can remember the TES forums were filled with people complaining about how bad the
game was, and how they didn't like the game, and how they thought that Bethsoft Game Studios didn't deliver on their promise(s).

The RAI was turned down a notch or two, people complained abot that. People complained about the Interface for PC as well as they complained about the quest compas, the quest arrows and the pop-up boxes. (which, imo, are very annoying).

It is correct that the awards Oblivion have gotten are many and plentiful, but that doesn't necessairly mean that Oblivion is good game, or even a good rpg game. It just means that maybe the rpg competetion wasn't that great - particularly for the
Xbox 360.

I know what I think of Oblivion. And I can't imagine why Oblivion would get 92% or 95% or 98% in reviews. The game isn't THAT good! It would be fairer if the game got maybe 80%-85%, imo.

However, in a rather interesting thread over at rpgwatch.com it is said that THQ (I think) wouldn't allow the review of Stalker to be published in a Czech magazine if the game's score was under 87% (I think).

Maybe that's the same that happened with Oblvion ?? (I have no proof that this happened, it is just a guess).

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Walkin' Dude said:
I could start a poll, and see what my new name should be! I bet you guys could come up with some great suggestions.

Or not. I happen to lake the moniker and just don't care enough to make the effort.
You could start a poll asking for the walkin' dumbfuck's nick to be changed. Into The Walkin' Dumbfuck. :wink:

Shoelip

Arbiter
Volourn is immune to reason. Please stop pretending to argue with it, it's painful to watch and it brings down every thread in a way that would be impossible for it alone.

Not that this thread itself is worth much as it's still a bunch of like minded people explaining to each other why Pete Hines and Bethesda in general are shameless sellouts and liars who've managed to prove irrefutably that the majority of the world's gamers are idiots.

Fez

Erudite
I think that really is 100% pure Pete. It's like the Joker's retarded clone.

Rosh

Erudite
It turns out that I feel like we delivered on what people expected.

People were expecting what Pete and Todd hyped out, among others. When that was all proven to be lies, some was forgiven because Bethesda are shameless X-Box whores, and we understand that broken promises are a feature of that console. Lying on top of it again is just simply being a fuckwit in denial of the claims and proof the claims weren't adhered to. No amount of GameSpy gushing over graphics and horse armor is going to change that or cover it up.

I know it doesn't bother Pete to be a lying dipshit, but I still have to cringe upon reading that. Well, after having a spit-take at how openly he can lie like that. That man must have some HUGE balls, which is probably why Todd likes him so much. Usually, even the dumbest PR lackey has a rare spark of brilliance to shut their yap when repeatedly proven to be a liar. Pete's definitely the award winner for the MBA Special Olympics.

If you want a reason why the industry is going to hell, it's the shitmongers on the X-Box who overhype and don't deliver anything of what they promise, and an audience dumbed down to the point of being stupid enough to believe them. Then you have the idiots in the mainstream gaming media, who couldn't even hold a job flipping burgers because their attention span is so short, call them "innovative" without knowing what the fuck the word means, or who originally presented the ideas that Bethesda is now feebly ripping off and sucking themselves off over lamely fucking them onto X-Box. These fry-cook failures actually think that good game design only exists with the use of eye candy.

Hell, even Microsoft Lames and the Lie-Box has an effect on games that don't even come out for the console, often because they find out too late..."How the fuck are we going to map all of these controls onto a controller?"

Fraudlancer and "Project Eggo" are the top two that come to mind, although it was noted that Fable was cut down heavily into a generic shitty action game, with most choice and consequences meaning about as much as...opening a Demon Gate, with a few storyline exceptions. Oh, and Oblivion, because the much-touted Radiant AI had to be dumbed down by numerous scales in order to be shipped out for an overhyped but underqualified console.

Yet, you couldn't have the PC version and the X-Box version different, as that would expose the fraud and the real weakness of the X-Box - unless it's a shiny and simple game, you can't get it to run worth shit at all on console. Or anywhere near a real PC game, for that matter. The back-end capability of the console is nearly non-existent compared to a PC. So, the only way they can make the X-Box not look like a load of crap is to make each version as neutered down as the console and hope the audience is too stupid to know better. Because Microsoft has helped in dumbing down the game industry as well as the general computing industry, you might actually find someone stupid enough to believe Pete. The scary thing is, there's a lot of them, all in denial of their stupidity and ignorance.

The consoles have bred an audience that is too vapid to care about anything but blabber out "OMFG!GRAFIX!!!", and have become far too dependent upon graphics to tolerate games that might have lacking graphics but an excellent story/world.

Hell, if you want "open-ended" and a better constructed world (including a competent use of NPC schedules!), check out Ultima 6-7, still whipping the shit out of Morrowind, Oblivion, etc. years later. You will run into far more fascinating characters, have no stupidity like the leveling scheme, and not have to hear about a random widget character's enthralling occupations of mudcrab watching - when they aren't staring at a wall for 10 hours at a time.

Yeah, it's painful to have played such masterpieces, and then see Oblivion lauded for the overhyped lies and what amounts to fraud. Pete, it's wonderful that you are consistent, but aside from being known as a consistent liar - now you're publicly affirmed as a moron.

Next spin-doctor stop - Star Dreck: Legacy!

"We made an AWESOME GAME! Just listen to the voice-over quality! I feel it's great and had fun playing it!"

elander_

Arbiter
POOPERSCOOPER said:
Is Pete Hines face photoshoped or does he really look like a fuckin retard?

You didn't see where Todd had his other hand when they took that picture.
:twisted:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom