Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Pete Hines: Oblivion delivered what was promised

Ladonna

Arcane
Naked Ninja and fellow acolytes, while I usually couldn't give a rats arse about these Oblivion threads anymore either, I tend (Usually) to do what VD does; Keep out of them. Too much to handle for you guys?

And where are the wonderful threads of differing things that have been started by yourself? Perhaps you could show us the way? :lol:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Naked Ninja said:
The problem is you aren't letting this go.
Not letting what go? We post gaming news, whatever they may be at the moment. So, if gaming sites post 200 Dungeon Siege 2 reviews, we post at least 100 Dungeon Siege 2 reviews. If gaming sites want to talk about Oblivion for the next 5 years, we'll post Oblivion articles for the next 5 years. The Codex news section is the fucking mirror, reflecting the state of the industry and gaming media. Is it that hard to understand?

Please don't tell me I'm missing facts. The most obvious one is available to all. Just search the forums for the number of threads about Oblivion/Bethesda/Todd/Pete. Its staggering for a site that expresses so much disdain for the game and the company.
And it's bothering you why?

And now this one. "Pete Hines : Oblivion Delivered what was promised". Just another excuse for pages and pages of comments about how they didn't do that, and that they're liars and blah blah blah, intermingled with attempts to outdo each others lame oblivion jokes. You guys have said this stuff how many times now? Why does it need to be said again?
I have no fucking idea, but since people are enjoying themselves, why bitch about it?

Besides, this article is interesting since it features fresh lies and not the same old shit.

aries202

Erudite
I don't think the problem is that mr. Hines saids these words. The problem is that mr. Hines' word were - in fact, untrue.

Bethesda Game Studios, Bethsoft and Zenimax Media promised a full rpg game, deep meaningful dialoque, interesting new and groundbreaking, sometimes called 'innovative' (for some odd reason)gameplay. And they promised the gamers a lot more than that, for instance: Quests that had choice and consequences, quests that involved real hard moral decisions. And quests that had great dialoque.

And what did we we get. An action game, imo, that felt like a crossbetween an fps-game and a mmo-game as well as an rpg-light game. (and by that I mean the ability do level up, choose stats and abilities and how your look as well).

My point being that Bethesda Game Studios etc. did not deliver on what was promised. Maybe there is a reason behind, maybe, just maybe, they needed to turn the RAI down a bit, or the whole world would have been fighting each other. (but that would have been sort of fun and cool, imo).

And maybe,just maybe, there are reasons behind the quest compass, and the quest arrows, just like if you're going to find the master trainer of something and he isn't where he is supposed to be, you'll need something (or someone) to tell you where he is. And that's what the quest arrows dows.

Much of people's frustration with the game and Bethsoft also comes from the fact, imo, that Bethsoft never explains anything. Or tries to explain the reasons behind they do something.Sometimes I think that Bethsoft thinks that if they just lie dead just like a scared animal does in danger, then the whole thing probably will blow over - soon. But the thing is --- it really doesn't go away.

However, if Mr. Hines feels that Bethsoft promised a kind of open ended sandbox game instead of a (real) rpg game, then yes, he probably is correct.
And if Mr. Hines feels that Bethsoft promised a kind of action/exploring/?/ game, where you can shoot anything that moves, yes, then he probably is correct. If Mr. Hines also feels that Bethsoft promised a console game that would appeal to the
(casual) gamers in the age group of 13-19 year's old, then, yes, he is correct.

However, Mr. Hines seems to forget one thing: Many console gamers also think that Oblivion was 'dumbed down.'

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
They delivered whaqt they promised. Stop fuckin' bullshit. However, some people's perception s are so skewered that they think Bethesda promised soemthing they didn't. They may have read Bethesda's hyp pre release; but I doubt they truly understood it and if they did likely ignored it.

Like the Codexers who bashed the hype pre release yet bought the game anyways, and found out when they did they hated the game just like they thought they would.

R00fles!

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
I thought you posted gaming news, not gaming site news. Is that what the codex is about, posting about what the other gaming sites are posting? Thats pretty lame.

It wouldn't bother me if it was actual news. But its the same old junk, again and again. We get it. Pete and Todd think they made a good RPG, you guys don't. How is this "fresh lies"? They have said they think their game is great before, and the Codex has jeered and "strongly disagreed". How is this any different from any of the other times? It isn't.

Aries has brought up the very valid point about the quest compass. EXCEPT ITS BEEN SAID SO MANY FUCKING TIMES NOW. How often does it need to be said? Aaarrrgh! So.fucking.circular.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
The Codex news section used to be about posting relevant PC RPG news. Those standards are long gone. Now, they'll post random things just because they can. It's the Codex, it's their yard, they can do what they bwant. Even if it spits on what they claim the Codex is supposed to stand for.

R00fles!

Aren't you finished at work yet? This crusade of yours is getting tiering.

Naked Ninja said:
I thought you posted gaming news, not gaming site news. Is that what the codex is about, posting about what the other gaming sites are posting?
If you can't see for yourself that there is a good mixture of news and posting links to other sites new, then how do you expect we can show it to you? Of course there is an emphasis on posting news from other sites, but the codex news hounds also monitors the websites of indie companies, various gaming forums, as well as doing some digging them selves. I'm overjoyed that I don't have to scourge through all those shitty generic game sites, just to find that one RPG-review. Here I get it all on one platter, with a little cynical flavour to top. Not to forget all the lovely discussions that follow each news post, where I can freely flame retards like you. And please do remember all the work they do are are unpaid.

Naked Ninja said:
Thats pretty lame.
No, you are lame.

Naked Ninja said:
It wouldn't bother me if it was actual news. But its the same old junk, again and again. We get it. Pete and Todd think they made a good RPG, you guys don't. How is this "fresh lies"? They have said they think their game is great before, and the Codex has jeered and "strongly disagreed". How is this any different from any of the other times? It isn't.
You dont like The Codex. You say the same old junk, again and again. We get it.
If you don't see the "fresh lies" in this, you are blind. A blind retard, no less.

Naked Ninja said:
Aries has brought up the very valid point about the quest compass. EXCEPT ITS BEEN SAID SO MANY FUCKING TIMES NOW. How often does it need to be said? Aaarrrgh! So.fucking.circular.
There has been boatloads of retards like you, who has spewed the exact same retardedry like you do. How are you different from them? You aren't. Its been said so many fucking times now. Do a circular on yourself and see if it fits up your ass. Do some digging in the archives before making such a fool of your self.

Dire Roach

Prophet
picscoppioarmorho7.jpg

Vault Dweller

Developer
Naked Ninja said:
I thought you posted gaming news, not gaming site news. Is that what the codex is about, posting about what the other gaming sites are posting? Thats pretty lame.
Like RPG Dot, RPG Watch, and many other sites, we bring you a daily overview of gaming news, and gaming news are what the other sites are posting at the moment. Just like other sites are posting our reviews/interviews, we repost their stuff. That's how it works, that's what attracts a lot of people to the Codex. If you have a better idea, share it with us.

It wouldn't bother me if it was actual news. But its the same old junk, again and again. We get it.
You speak for everyone now?

Pete and Todd think they made a good RPG, you guys don't. How is this "fresh lies"? They have said they think their game is great before, and the Codex has jeered and "strongly disagreed". How is this any different from any of the other times? It isn't.
You failed your reading comprehension roll.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"That's how it works, that's what attracts a lot of people to the Codex."

Only the dumb ones.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Well, you can't be a princess of nothing. We are trying to build you a proper kingdom.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Sorry, but the news section here can't compare to RPGwatch or the dot. But it sure as hell brings up every thread of news and non-news when it's related to Oblivion or Bethesda. Which is because you are overly fond about bitching about the guys, which is clear enough from the comment section of every single news post on the subject.
Which is fine, your choice, but if you think you are operating like any other newssite, you are deluding yourself.

And Dementia, if you blow yourself up any further, you are going to explode. It's not like me or lumpy or ninja have any censor powers here. We just bitch about the bitching which is just as valid as bitching, or bitching about the bitching about the bitching. All of which is retarded, which some of the threads about actual news or concepts or RPG philosphy are NOT.

Vault Dweller

Developer
GhanBuriGhan said:
Sorry, but the news section here can't compare to RPGwatch or the dot.
No arguing. I can't afford to retire because then it would be fucking dead or close to it.

But it sure as hell brings up every thread of news and non-news when it's related to Oblivion or Bethesda. Which is because you are overly fond about bitching about the guys...
I made 5 newsposts yesterday. Only one is about Oblivion. Coincidentally, few people discuss the other 4 posts (3-16 comments), but the Oblivion thread has 93 posts at the moment. Blame yourself.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
I made 5 newsposts yesterday. Only one is about Oblivion. Coincidentally, few people discuss the other 4 posts (3-16 comments), but the Oblivion thread has 93 posts at the moment.
Yeah but look at them... Anyway its as much about everyones newset iteration of B sucks as it is about your newsposting.
Blame yourself.
Unfortuantely the unavoidable paradoxon of bitching about bad threads...

psycojester

Arbiter
Nice Ninja Dodge of the point of Ladonna's post Naked Ninja. I believe the crux of it to be Put up or Fuck Off. Your not paying to be here its a community you want something make it yourself

Vault Dweller

Developer
GhanBuriGhan said:
Vault Dweller said:
I made 5 newsposts yesterday. Only one is about Oblivion. Coincidentally, few people discuss the other 4 posts (3-16 comments), but the Oblivion thread has 93 posts at the moment.
Yeah but look at them...
What about them? Speak up, old timer, don't be shy.

mister lamat

Scholar
I can't afford to retire because then it would be fucking dead or close to it.

is that honestly such a bad thing? this isn't 'news', fuck man, this isn't even fun to read.

Speak up, old timer, don't be shy.

it pulls the site down, severely. it's like listening to some angsty little emo kid piss and moan about their parents... i know you feel the same way about it.

way back when, sure we'd have a go at feargus or whomever, but there were limits and there were contrasting viewpoints. for lack of a better term there was some humanity in it all and that's what made it fun. this... meh... it's like trying to kick someone in the nuts who's on a fifty foot pedestal. futile, foolish and ripe for mockery. if you really think continuing on this path is a good course of action, well... the lampooning from other sites is honestly becoming more and more deserved.

Slith

Scholar
Naked Ninja said:
You guys are never going to get over this are you? Ever? It'll be 2 years from now and VD will still be scouring every corner of the internet for even the vaguest mention of Oblivion to post about, which will be followed by 7 or 8 pages of jeering and stupid repetitive jokes about seeing mudcrabs.

Honestly, can you not move past this now? Its actually more than a little pathetic.

Sigh, who am I kidding, you're not going to stop this until Fallout 3 is released, and then we can look forward to 5 or 6 years of jeering over that. I started reading the codex because I was impressed with your review of Oblivion, the only site I'd come across to point out its real flaws. But for fucks sake, its just enough now, time to let this shit go.

Aww, don't cry emo kid. If you don't like it, maybe you should just get out of here, spend some more time with your fairy boyfriends or something. Everyone else on the codex sure as hell won't miss you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom