Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Pete Hines on Oblivion and Fallout.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Twinfalls said:
Vault Dweller said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
And besides -- the to-hit roll was one of the things that sucked about combat in Morrowind.
What is it with you guys and throwing stuff out instead of improving it?

Oh come on, VD - you undermine your own fine arguments sometimes by choosing the wrong example.
What example?

Cutting out the to-hit roll is fine and you know it.
I don't know that and that's the problem.

In a sense it has been improved by being replaced with active blocking and a greater weight for combat skills in determining damage dealt.
I don't really see that as an improvement though. From the "preview": So the timing of it becomes a key strategy in fighting.

The game has real time combat, so this makes sense - its simply TES catching up with Gothic.
Does it have to?

But using the to-hit roll for this argument just makes you look like some kind of nihilist. Stick to hitting them where it matters (and there's a lot of that to hit)....
I just don't see anything fucking wrong with to-hit rolls. If your skill is high enough, you hit most of the time - that's some very basic RPG stuff. The only complaint was that when you miss, it still *looks* like you hit. An obvious solution would have been to make it look like you missed. Is it really some fucking rocket science to you?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
And besides -- the to-hit roll was one of the things that sucked about combat in Morrowind.

To Hit rolls really only sucked in Morrowind because the attack boundry for a swing was so limited. If the enemy is pretty close to you and mostly on the screen, that should suffice for telling the interface that I want to smack that guy when I hit the attack button.

It's when you have to hit a "Sweet Spot" and you have a To-Hit roll is when there's a big problem.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
The game has real time combat, so this makes sense - its simply TES catching up with Gothic.
Does it have to?.

No, but it sure is a step up for them.

I just don't see anything fucking wrong with to-hit rolls. If your skill is high enough, you hit most of the time - that's some very basic RPG stuff. The only complaint was that when you miss, it still *looks* like you hit. An obvious solution would have been to make it look like you missed. Is it really some fucking rocket science to you?

This isn't rocket science, but it appears to be to you. Have Bethesda said 'you will never miss a target now in combat, no matter how far you are from it'?

No. Because, obviously, this will not be the case.

This is a first-person real time combat engine. Missing from a certain distance, in the absence of dodging (and I got the impression that was in, anyway) is simply not as effective an option as having low, or zero, damage dealt for some point blank shots.

kris

Arcane
Twinfalls said:
This is a first-person real time combat engine. Missing from a certain distance, in the absence of dodging (and I got the impression that was in, anyway) is simply not as effective an option as having low, or zero, damage dealt for some point blank shots.

Point blank shots only exist if you hit someone tied up to tree. Hitting someone in other situations isn't as simple.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Saint_Proverbius said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:

To Hit rolls really only sucked in Morrowind because the attack boundry for a swing was so limited. If the enemy is pretty close to you and mostly on the screen, that should suffice for telling the interface that I want to smack that guy when I hit the attack button.

It's when you have to hit a "Sweet Spot" and you have a To-Hit roll is when there's a big problem.

We do have a die roll to determine which bit of armor takes damage (if the target's wearing any) on a hit. The armor pieces are weighted against the roll based on their size. But health damage is non-locational.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Stat-based combat sucked in Morr because the viewport was 1st person!
That's friggin obvious.

So there are only two cures:
either make it actiion-based (you chose that)
or make a floating camera, and system like in KOTOR
or make a TB game, also with floating cam. ^_^

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
mEtaLL1x said:
Stat-based combat sucked in Morr because the viewport was 1st person!
That's friggin obvious.

So there are only two cures:
either make it actiion-based (you chose that)
or make a floating camera, and system like in KOTOR
or make a TB game, also with floating cam. ^_^
Please, Metallix, think before you post. There's been a plenty of FP RPGs with decent combat. Wiz is one of them. It doesn't matter that it was TB, but if you hit someone and miss, there was a dodging animation. That's all it takes to solve that complaint.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Calm down, Lunchie. Nurse will come soon.

Please, Metallix, think before you post.
Okay, mommy.

There's been a plenty of FP RPGs with decent combat. Wiz is one of them
Gothic was one of them, too.

It doesn't matter that it was TB, but if you hit someone and miss, there was a dodging animation
we're not talking about TB here. In TB this is much easier to implement.

Yeah, I get your point. It may look descent with just dodging animations added. Alright, enemies will behave accordingly in combat,
but what about the player?
The whole fuck-up of Morr was with the player animation. You grab a dagger, start a fight, and just POKE the enemy in the same manner ALL THE TIME. It looked plain st00pid.
by just adding several dodging/strike animations you can't really get by the problem.
With action-stat hybrid, however, the combat will be MUCH livelier and much more involving. Because you won't just stand there and click your mouse repeatedly, instead you'll have to strafe, roll, jump, block, parry, run around etc etc. Seemingly stupid and FPS-like, it is actually more tactical than just stat-based non-TB combat (BG, KOTOR, Morr etc), because there only the stats really affect the outcome - the player's mind nor hands are not there, it's more like a cinematic: you watch your player fight. I love this when it's TB, but when it's realtime and purely stat-based - it's just not my thing. Of course, many will heartely disagree, but hell - tastes differ.

Maybe I'm kinda maximalistic in this aspect: for me, it's either TB or action-stat.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Yeah the attack animations are different for each weapon type. And there are several of them that play when you attack, so you don't always get the same one. And that doesn't even include the power attack animations, which again are all appropriate to the weapon. LOTS of attack animations in this game.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Yeah, that's what I love.
Maybe you'll even surpass Gothic 3 ^_^ Go for it.

BUT don't forget about THE MOST important things (well, it's not your part of work, tho): dialogs, NPCs, story and OPTIONS!

Combat is still an optional feature.

There is no dice on a computer, it is randomisation together with mathematical calculations. Obviously the calculations is something that also is taken from PnP. the advantage of a computer is that it can make more complex calculations much faster which speeds up the happenings of the game in comparison to a PnP. There is nothing you can make more logical with the computer than with a PnP.

Oh? I see little diference between using a direct caluclated percentage as opposed to a 4+ on a D6.

Maby logical was a poor choice of words. I would say controlled and visualy direct.

If you do the move away from character skill to player skill then that aspect is no longer roleplaying. Of course other aspects of the game can be roleplaying and whatever a certain player want is another thing, that is up to everyone to choose. Suffice to say, I would choose a true roleplaying experience over a twitchgame.

Oh? when I do a live action role playing game (LARP), my actual skill factors in alot. And LARPs are much better than pen and paper or CRPGs by any standard. The actual fealing of immersion is so much more when you have to think like that type of character. I mean playing a P&P game where I'm a theif is interesting, but I feal so much more theif-like when I'm looking at how reflective my gear is, what I think will make noise, where the lights are, ect...

Weather it's in a LARP or a CRPG I like it more than saying "I stay close to the walls and avoid the shadows", and I certainely like it more than pressing the little sneak icon and waltzing through hoping I don't get a bad role.

Let me add that there is still many PnP roleplaying games/rules that are clearly more realistic than anything done on a computer this far.

Well thats because alot of game designers are lazy. Still, a P&P game can be modified on the spot by the GM (or DM if it's D&D), who can say "make a strength chack with a -2 penalty" for any situation they see apropriot.

The direction of using a real time enviroment with physics and a direct action-reaction aproach (what OB is going for) seams to be the best option. Like what MSDF said about actually doing somthing yourself rather than telling it to the GM.

Anyways, how manny classic CRPGs allowed you to play out a combat situation any way you want to? I mean the type of cool stuff you find yourself doing in a pen and paper game.

Last time I checked, most top down and/or turn based CRPGs don't let you use your telekonisis spell you knock over a table, block off an open doorway so a bunch of weak goblins can't get through. Creative and cool ways to use the enviroment to my advantage is somthing I like to do in P&P games, and it seams like it will be somthing I'll be able to do in OB.

Atrokkus

Erudite
I mean playing a P&P game where I'm a theif is interesting, but I feal so much more theif-like when I'm looking at how reflective my gear is, what I think will make noise, where the lights are, ect...
And what about being a mage? You think it's better to be a mage in LARP?
OH was it you in that black hooded bathroom robe on that picture?

Well thats because alot of game designers are lazy.
Ahahah. Fun shit.
You CAN'T make even a remotedly close model of PnP in computer RPGs, that's a fact.
Why?
Because there is no AI yet. I mean not RadianAI shit, but REAL ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE. It's not yet invented.

Calling designers lazy is like calling a human lazy for not flying by himself yet.

Stark

Liturgist
mEtaLL1x said:
... REAL ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE.

hehehe... "Real" "Artifical" intelligence?

i recall fondly one of my prof told us AI is none other than a generic term for people to call a new technology until they figure out a better name for the new tech. Once they figured out the name, they avoid the term AI like plague.

Quote:
I mean playing a P&P game where I'm a theif is interesting, but I feal so much more theif-like when I'm looking at how reflective my gear is, what I think will make noise, where the lights are, ect...

It was an example. But for your information I have played a mage before. I memorized afew latin incantations that I had to know, learned about herbs and medivel alchemy, and stuff like that. Player skill, and had a great time, and realy felt immersed in the world.

Quote:

Ahahah. Fun shit.
You CAN'T make even a remotedly close model of PnP in computer RPGs, that's a fact.

EXACTLY! a CRPG will always be a cheep replacement for when you can't get your freinds together. However, by limeting yourself by both the inherent nature of having no DM and limeting yourself to the limetations of a P&P game at the same time makes for a very underwhelming experience.

Why?
Because there is no AI yet. I mean not RadianAI shit, but REAL ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE. It's not yet invented.

Calling designers lazy is like calling a human lazy for not flying by himself yet.

I was thinking more along the lines of what I can do. Simple actions like moving stuff around, fashoning a rope out of sheets, ect...

Now somthing seams to die and just rot in the back of the fridge when you see somthing that you can't use. The shelves that have nothing in them, tables that just sit there, no way to flip them over or anything, ect...

Now granted oblivion will still be a crippled hamster in comparison to P&P RPG in terms of stuff like this, but it will be much better than the standard CRPGs that everyone hear seams to glorify so much hear.

Quote:

It was an example. But for your information I have played a mage before. I memorized afew latin incantations that I had to know, learned about herbs and medivel alchemy, and stuff like that. Player skill, and had a great time, and realy felt immersed in the world.

Quote:

Ahahah. Fun shit.

EXACTLY! a CRPG will always be a cheep replacement for when you can't get your freinds together. However, by limeting yourself by both the inherent nature of having no DM and limeting yourself to the limetations of a P&P game at the same time makes for a very underwhelming experience.

Why?

I was thinking more along the lines of what I can do. Simple actions like moving stuff around, fashoning a rope out of sheets, ect...

Now somthing seams to die and just rot in the back of the fridge when you see somthing that you can't use. The shelves that have nothing in them, tables that just sit there, no way to flip them over or anything, ect...

Now granted oblivion will still be a crippled hamster in comparison to P&P RPG in terms of stuff like this, but it will be much better than the standard CRPGs that everyone hear seams to glorify so much hear.

kris

Arcane
Screaming_Dude_In_Vegas said:
1. Oh? I see little diference between using a direct caluclated percentage as opposed to a 4+ on a D6.

2. Maybe logical was a poor choice of words. I would say controlled and visualy direct.

3. Oh? when I do a live action role playing game (LARP), my actual skill factors in alot.

4. And LARPs are much better than pen and paper or CRPGs by any standard.

5. The actual fealing of immersion is so much more when you have to think like that type of character.

6. I mean playing a P&P game where I'm a theif is interesting, but I feel so much more theif-like when I'm looking at how reflective my gear is, what I think will make noise, where the lights are, ect...

7. Wether it's in a LARP or a CRPG I like it more than saying "I stay close to the walls and avoid the shadows", and I certainely like it more than pressing the little sneak icon and waltzing through hoping I don't get a bad roll.

8. Well thats because alot of game designers are lazy.

9. Still, a P&P game can be modified on the spot by the GM (or DM if it's D&D), who can say "make a strength chack with a -2 penalty" for any situation they see apropriot.

10. The direction of using a real time enviroment with physics and a direct action-reaction aproach (what OB is going for) seams to be the best option. Like what MSDF said about actually doing somthing yourself rather than telling it to the GM.

11. Anyways, how manny classic CRPGs allowed you to play out a combat situation any way you want to? I mean the type of cool stuff you find yourself doing in a pen and paper game.

12. Last time I checked, most top down and/or turn based CRPGs don't let you use your telekonisis spell you knock over a table, block off an open doorway so a bunch of weak goblins can't get through. Creative and cool ways to use the enviroment to my advantage is somthing I like to do in P&P games, and it seams like it will be somthing I'll be able to do in OB.

1. As said, it works the same.

2. This is just confusing.

3. that only proves you don't roleplay as much. Basically, you are limited to roleplay roles you know you can fullfill. Like with a computer there is limitations on what you can do, in this case you are the limitation.

4. Really, by what standard? It sure isn't when it comes to playing roles since you are youself a limiting factor. It sure isn't about gameworld unless you play in "our world". Obvioulsy the amount of people being involved is another limiting factor. that you can't actually have real fights is another one. i could list more...

5. Thinking isn't limited to LARP.

6. Wether you feel a role or not is hardly the point. I can go around my apartment and "feel" how I am the worlds best lover, but that doesn't make it so.

7. Had it been that simple then I would have changed profession to a thief.

8. Ah! you agree with me and most others here then, that they surerly don't try to make it as good as possible. sure, some things is about taste, but most often it is about not going the full way.

9. I agree, a human will be superior to any AI for at least a couple of hundred years more. At least when it comes to the flexible aspects.

10. The problem with realtime in a game is that it is not even your reflexes coming into play, at least not in a realistic way. Also, it is not the character you play that learns as much it is you that learns "the secret" combination needed to beat everyone and everything. Basically it is YOU that is becoming better at the game than any character becoming better... Otherwise, I direct you to my other post where I explained how I wanted ranged combat to be in a realtime game. Oblivion obviously don't really use physics more than partially. It doesn't even matter where you hit someone with your weapon.

11. I never said anything was perfect. I already suggested one thing and I can suggest many more in how to make the combat more realistic, engaging and more into a roleplaying experience.

12. a physics engine is a computer limitation, it would be cool if I could do those things in oblivion. Now I directly ask myself, will the AI be able to handle it? Will the arrows stick into the table? Obvisouly, closing a doorway is something most computer RPGs can handle.

lamaslany

Novice
kris said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Seeing a 6 foot long claymore go straight through an opponent 2 feet in front of you and hearing a "whoosh" as it totally misses isn't fun by anyone's standards, unless you'd have been on the receiving end of the blow. Combat has been improved by removing the to-hit roll. But we also added new factors to the amount of damage you can do to account for its removal. So it's not really a net loss in "features", if you want to look at it that way.

you should read the rolemaster rules ;) just add parry into the context :) Anyway, it simple, have another animation for misses. If you have the big claymore just going right trough the opponent it is not a fault of a to hit roll, it is the fault of the implementation. The rolls should obviously be done before the animation.
I wholeheartedly agree. Until the animation of the combat is dynamic and fluid enough to match the responsiveness expected by the player when they choose to initiate a type of attack I cannot see a way to avoid either dodgy clipping or maintaining a proper character focus.

1. As said, it works the same.

Being able to do more complex caluclations realy isn't that big an advantage.

3. that only proves you don't roleplay as much. Basically, you are limited to roleplay roles you know you can fullfill. Like with a computer there is limitations on what you can do, in this case you are the limitation.

Not realy, I mean to a point. It's actually not that hard to learn the skills I used to get into character (aside from combat, I've trained in armored combat for ren fairs for about 8 years now).

4. Really, by what standard? It sure isn't when it comes to playing roles since you are youself a limiting factor. It sure isn't about gameworld unless you play in "our world". Obvioulsy the amount of people being involved is another limiting factor. that you can't actually have real fights is another one. i could list more...

Well It's alot more fun, and a much cooler experience. There are limetations, but pretending that you're in weird mystical enviroment when your sitting at a table rolling dice is no worse than pretending your in a weird mystical enviroment when your in the woods and swinging a foam-padded pipe.

Pen and paper games also are limeted in the number of people involved, at least before things get grounded to a halt. But I've been in some good sized 30 person LARP battles, and they are plenty big enough. As for real fighting, you get enough of a fealing from swinging a boffer, most people wouldn't want to do actual fighting, armored combat is brutal enough, and we use dulled down blades.

5. Thinking isn't limited to LARP.

True, but the type of thinking realy dosn't factor into P&P as much as a LARP.

No one in my D&D group memorizes icantations or writes a book of potion recipies, there is no practical way for a theif to be in the exact light/shadow/sound enviroment, and there is no way to get into that fealing of taking advantage of your oponents opening, blocking at the right moment, ect...

Now in no way am I saying that you can do all that with a computer, but you can do some of that with a computer.

6. Wether you feel a role or not is hardly the point. I can go around my apartment and "feel" how I am the worlds best lover, but that doesn't make it so.

Well thats your problem :P

Seriousely though, it dosn't matter if you actually are somthing or not. Getting into character is a good thing. Fealing like your character definetely helps.

7. Had it been that simple then I would have changed profession to a thief.

It's an example, I find it so annoying and downright moronic when people take a quick example as a main argument.

8. Ah! you agree with me and most others here then, that they surerly don't try to make it as good as possible. sure, some things is about taste, but most often it is about not going the full way.

Completely agree. Course sometimes this can be funny and/or annoying. I remember a text based adventure with somthing like 40 options for each room or encounter, somone had alot of free time on their hands.

9. I agree, a human will be superior to any AI for at least a couple of hundred years more. At least when it comes to the flexible aspects.

AI will never be as good as humans, or at least when it is, it will take over the earth and we will all be slaves to the robots.

10. The problem with realtime in a game is that it is not even your reflexes coming into play, at least not in a realistic way. Also, it is not the character you play that learns as much it is you that learns "the secret" combination needed to beat everyone and everything. Basically it is YOU that is becoming better at the game than any character becoming better... Otherwise, I direct you to my other post where I explained how I wanted ranged combat to be in a realtime game. Oblivion obviously don't really use physics more than partially. It doesn't even matter where you hit someone with your weapon.

True, tapping your finger is not the same as swinging a sword by any standard.

As for the skill thing, that may be true for a PURELY skill based game. However oblivion isn't doing that. When I swing a sword, the damage the sword dose is based on my character's stats. When I block, not all the damage is negated, some of it is absorbed. So if I'm real skilled, yes I'll have a bit of an edge, but I'll still be dead mean when faced with a dremora at level 3.

11. I never said anything was perfect. I already suggested one thing and I can suggest many more in how to make the combat more realistic, engaging and more into a roleplaying experience.

There are several ways to make combat more engaging. I personally think OB is taking the right direction.

12. a physics engine is a computer limitation, it would be cool if I could do those things in oblivion. Now I directly ask myself, will the AI be able to handle it? Will the arrows stick into the table? Obvisouly, closing a doorway is something most computer RPGs can handle.

Well OB has havock physics, and it has been confirmed that arrows will stick out of soft (like wood or dirt) surfaces and efect their weight realisticaly, and bounce off of hard surfaces like stone or metal. There will be a way to push things around and throw them (weight limet based on character strength). The AI seams like it will be pretty good. In one of the test runs some skelitons ran away and got out some magic weapons to use against the player. I think it will be pretty good, and I hope they worked out the imfamous gaurd melees...

kris

Arcane
Screaming_Dude_In_Vegas said:
1. Not realy, I mean to a point. It's actually not that hard to learn the skills I used to get into character (aside from combat, I've trained in armored combat for ren fairs for about 8 years now).

2. Well It's alot more fun, and a much cooler experience. There are limetations, but pretending that you're in weird mystical enviroment when your sitting at a table rolling dice is no worse than pretending your in a weird mystical enviroment when your in the woods and swinging a foam-padded pipe.

3. Pen and paper games also are limeted in the number of people involved, at least before things get grounded to a halt. But I've been in some good sized 30 person LARP battles, and they are plenty big enough. As for real fighting, you get enough of a fealing from swinging a boffer, most people wouldn't want to do actual fighting, armored combat is brutal enough, and we use dulled down blades.

4. True, but the type of thinking realy dosn't factor into P&P as much as a LARP.

5. No one in my D&D group memorizes icantations or writes a book of potion recipies, there is no practical way for a theif to be in the exact light/shadow/sound enviroment, and

6. there is no way to get into that fealing of taking advantage of your oponents opening, blocking at the right moment, ect...

7. Now in no way am I saying that you can do all that with a computer, but you can do some of that with a computer.

8. Seriousely though, it dosn't matter if you actually are somthing or not. Getting into character is a good thing. Fealing like your character definetely helps.

9. As for the skill thing, that may be true for a PURELY skill based game. However oblivion isn't doing that. When I swing a sword, the damage the sword dose is based on my character's stats.

10. When I block, not all the damage is negated, some of it is absorbed. So if I'm real skilled, yes I'll have a bit of an edge, but I'll still be dead mean when faced with a dremora at level 3.

11. There are several ways to make combat more engaging. I personally think OB is taking the right direction.

12. Well OB has havock physics, and it has been confirmed that arrows will stick out of soft (like wood or dirt) surfaces and efect their weight realisticaly, and bounce off of hard surfaces like stone or metal. There will be a way to push things around and throw them (weight limet based on character strength). The AI seams like it will be pretty good. In one of the test runs some skelitons ran away and got out some magic weapons to use against the player. I think it will be pretty good, and I hope they worked out the imfamous gaurd melees...

1. It will always be limited to who you are. You can say you learned whatever skill, but saying you learned it and really knowing it well is another thing. Years of experience is needed. It seems you are very commited though, considering what you said about your combat training.

2. Fantasy and most roleplaying games in general is there to escape reality. Being around with real people in real enviroments is hardly going to help there. It would only demand more imagining on your side to believe that something you see with your own eyes is not what it is. Now, some years ago I was thinking about joining LARP, but never did and now I don't feel I would ever do that. I see nothing wrong in you liking it though, I can understand the attraction.

3. We have a "number of players involved" against "Numbers of characters involved". While a PnP can't have to many players, it have infinite numbers of characters. LARP on the other hand have a upper number based on the number of players. Now if you could get some 1000 persons involved it could be a grande event (altough I can't imagine how difficult that would be to arrange), but as it is you have to be limited in playing the non-populated wilderness LARPs.

4. The problem with LARP here is that everyone involved "thinks", but the others don't know what you think. Participants may think to differently and so on. I do get what you mean by living into your role though.

5. I fail to see the benefit in memorising incations.

6. What you basically is saying here is that you want to play yourself in another enviroment. If you play a role then you win depending on who you play and who the one you fight play. If you fight to see who is the best fighter between you and someone else then you play yourself and he play himself. I can understand the thrill of that, but we moved far from the subject and are no longer talking about roleplaying.

7. In a computer you can put up a simulation of a swordfight using your own skills, it is not roleplaying, but I can see it would appeal to you.

8. Yes. but from I gathered you don't want to play a role, you want to see yourself in other scenarios. Nothing wrong with that, that is one of my favourite pasttimes.

9. i just said that how I want them to do things and use PC skills instead of player skills, that would make it more into a roleplaying game and appeal more to me. that is all.

10. Block seems strange as you described it. If a block is succesful then it should stop all damage as soon as the shield is not broken or the opponent strong enough to break your arm/shoulder. Having something like "block stops 50% damage" is just unrealistic and IMO retarded.

11. I don't think that and I think I said enough about it. I sure could rant on more about it though. I am not saying this in comparison to Morrowind though.

12. Will they bounce on plate armor? anyway, I am sure more realistic physics will be a improvement on the game and something I support

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Twinfalls said:
I might love it if that was true. On the other hand, I might be more pleased if Oblivion were simply a much better oldschool RPG with deep character development. Chance is that neither will be true.

kris said:
10. Block seems strange as you described it. If a block is succesful then it should stop all damage as soon as the shield is not broken or the opponent strong enough to break your arm/shoulder. Having something like "block stops 50% damage" is just unrealistic and IMO retarded.
Now I disagree with that. Blocking, as opposed to parrying, is basically a method of taking a hit in a controlled manner to minimize its effect. Depending on skill, one may be more or less successful.
Whether the implementation makes sense is a different matter however. Even with low skill I have a chance at an effective block, just like I could cause lethal damage with a weapon. It's not that this would be impossible to implement in a reasonable manner, although I am uncertain whether Bethesda would go to the trouble of trying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom