Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Petition to Keep Ja2 Turn Based

Black

Arcane
Online petition you say?
I wonder why you have that dumbfuck tag.

Topher

Cipher
I'll sign your little petition but only because I want fog of war back.

Ancient

Erudite
but do you realize that nobody(devs) ever gives a fuck about s petitions ?

Topher

Cipher
Ancient said:
but do you realize that nobody ever gives a fuck about petitions ?

Yep. It won't do a damn bit of good. Still didn't hurt to waste the 30 seconds.

TheLostOne

Savant
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

Fight on, true believers. :salute:

spekkio

Arcane
JA2 was released more than 10 years ago.
Why should I sign any fucking petitions about some retarded remake? They can port it to Failbook and make it subscription based, I don't care...

ksjav

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
JA2 was still turn based when I played it today and not like it's going to change. :smug:

Cenobyte

Prophet
ksjav said:
JA2 was still turn based when I played it today and not like it's going to change. :smug:

This

And why should I buy this remake anyway? I have, like, four versions of JA 2 here (and yes, they are all original and legally removed from inventory :)) and I don't see any need for shitty 3D graphics or real-time combat in my Jagged Alliance.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fighting the good fight? I suppose that fans would be taken more seriously if they threatened to blow themselves up together with devs or something. But with petitions... well I dont see it happening. Learn from muslims bros.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Why would you play a remake when you can play the original? I mean, the lack of turnbased combat is not the only thing the remake will fuck up.

Phelot

Arcane
I think it's important for people to express their opinion with the actual developers rather then just yelling on an internet forum about decline and AIDS.

Mortmal

Arcane
Completely pointless, even if by a miracle you gather millions of signatures, and they change their minds and make it turn based, that doesnt mean it will be a good game, they will fuck up another thing. No point wasting time theres hardly any development team that knows how to make videogames anymore, they only know how to make fancy 3D for railroaded shooters.

SkeleTony

Augur
For me this is more about combating the know-nothing attitudes of developers who think Turn-based = 'primitive' and say things like '...was okay back before real time but now we have REAL TIME! we want to MODERNIZE the system!11'. If no one says anything or no movements are started to contrast this idiotic view then there will soon come a day when NO turn-based games are being made(it is not far fetched to see even Civilization going real time if Firaxis comes to believe there are only a handful of turn-based gamers out there).

It is a principl thing.

SoupNazi

I just don't see a reason not to. It doesn't cost me anything, I agree with the petition's mission, and if there's even a miniscule chance that the petition will change something for the better, then I'm going to do it. It's that simple.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
SoupNazi said:
I just don't see a reason not to. It doesn't cost me anything, I agree with the petition's mission, and if there's even a miniscule chance that the petition will change something for the better, then I'm going to do it. It's that simple.

:thumbsup:

Severian Silk

If they cared, they wouldn't have made the switch in the first place, since only an imbecile would not already have known beforehand that that is what the core fans want.

Face it. They're set on real-time, and nothing is going to get them to change it, except maybe some facetime with Bill Gates or Todd Howard that they can later turn around and convert into $$$.

Expect some sort of remark in the future along the lines of, "The hostility from a malicious few are an affront to the series' true fanbase, who we truly know and who are truly 100% behind our current plans." Or, "No devs can work in this type of hostile environment, so it's the angry fans' fault with all their hateful complaining that our title tanked like a stone."

Imagine Bush saying, "It's the liberals' fault there were no WMDs in Iraq, so we can't be held at fault for it."

Topher

Cipher
Everything said in this topic is true. This petition won't change anything, do did I expect otherwise when I signed it. I'm not even following the development of the new game and am actually in the middle of playing JA2 for the first time right now.

...but it still took 30sec to put my name down and let it be known that I at least bothered to take a stance and I'll take a stance again when I choose not to buy it.

Educated
This is a request to the new publisher of "Jagged Alliance 2: Reloaded" bitComposer Games who revealed, that the turn-based combat-system will not exist any longer! Instead they presented a new system called "Plan&Go" which contains real-time-elements. Also there will not be a fog-of-war.
Sign the petition to convince the publisher that the players want to keep the turn-based combat system in the upcoming Remake!
Why do they want the game to flop?

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
314159 said:
This is a request to the new publisher of "Jagged Alliance 2: Reloaded" bitComposer Games who revealed, that the turn-based combat-system will not exist any longer! Instead they presented a new system called "Plan&Go" which contains real-time-elements. Also there will not be a fog-of-war.
Sign the petition to convince the publisher that the players want to keep the turn-based combat system in the upcoming Remake!
Why do they want the game to flop?

The really sad thing is - it probaby won't (unless it's complete shit and unable to attract even the casuals).

They realise that the core fan-base for JA2, is simply not enough to make the big $$$. It's a sad fact of life now, that TB is perceived too "old school" buy the lowest-common-denominator general public, casual gamer.

But this is the mistake a lot of small devs and indies are making at the moment. They're not sure who their target audience is or should be. Do they cater to thier core fan-base, or do they try to attract a wider audience? (or a bit of both?).

Just look at Arcania for a recent example - again the sad thing is, it's probably selling enough to justify their decision. :x

Educated
The really sad thing is - it probaby won't (unless it's complete shit and unable to attract even the casuals).
I meant "why do the people that want JA2 to be turn-based want the game to flop"?

They realise that the core fan-base for JA2, is simply not enough to make the big $$$. It's a sad fact of life now, that TB is perceived too "old school" buy the lowest-common-denominator general public, casual gamer.
I'm the highest uncommon denominator and I percieve TB as oldfaggotry.

Just look at Arcania for a recent example - again the sad thing is, it's probably selling enough to justify their decision. :x
What's "Arcania"? A game?

Angthoron

Arcane
AlaCarcuss said:

Actually, this might be a first where it will indeed flop. Why? Well, first of all, because the devs eliminate the entire fanbase out of the customer base with this decision - let's face it, JA2 has a very generic setting and storyline, it's basically the gameplay and in a small part the merc personalities that make up for that and make the game great. Additionally, JA2 has some very nice animations - something I doubt a 3D game from a relatively unknown developer (what did they release prior to this again?) can provide. This isn't a game that's got a huge setting/story value unlike Fallout, therefore, you can't really sell it well outside the niche.

Add such things as "Plan&Go" probably being harder to figure out and easier to bug up than the original TB mode, and simply the ammo consumption that will skyrocket from having to use suppression fire in RT instead of "on-demand" in TB, and you have an abomination that can be used to scare away the casuals in the first battle already. Damn, if those idiots wanted to make a casual-friendly game, they should have made a Casual TB instead, like Civ5 or Homm5 have. RtwP tactics are in a sense way more niche to begin with. And should they want to get to squad RTS, they get the lovely chance to be compared against CoH and WH40K games, which I sort of doubt they will pull through without major losses.

So yeah. I don't see JA2 Remake selling without the fan base doing part of the hype work - this game doesn't have Casual market appeal.

ArcaniA sold well?! Holy crap, that's some shit news right there - but is it really the case? I was under the impression that it failed to impress even the most mainstream of the mainstream.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom