Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Phantasie series

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Had a bad start in P2.
Lost two characters to the trapped Oracle in the first dungeon, was somehow not able to lockpick the captain's room and get scrolls A and C which gives you directions, then lost my wizard to a second trap, created a new wizard and explored the overland until my priest was able to cast Ressurection.

I'm now back on track with an intact party, ready to explore the winter palace and rescue the princess (Anastasia?).

P2 is somewhat harder than P1, thanks to bullshit traps.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Messing around with WinUAE. Some of the linked vids were kind of crappy as one wanted me to purchase all the Kickstart and various roms in a $40 legal package. Uh, maybe some other time..maybe. I had been busy doing other stuff so this video is late. This is the latest WinUAE and I've had some issues where it doesn't seem to keep the configurations saved or corrupts a few. I remedied this by not only saving the configurations but keeping a few extra savestates. I messed around with the easy disk swapping command (where you hit END+1 or END+2 etc for whichever disk is in the DISKSWAPPER menu up to 20 I guess), and screenshot and quick screenshots (END+PRINTSCREEN). I even got the amiga hard drive installed (and save stated/config) but the dude didn't teach me that now I have a amiga hard drive in the emulator which is damn fast, how to store games on there. EH, I'll have to look at some other videos as he never did another on this.

Anyway, the meat and potatoes of the thread is Phantasie. Lordy, I must say I will probably HATE the Amiga interface the most. There is NO keyboard or joystick support. It is ALL MOUSE (Squeakity fucking squeak squeak!!)
Manual_extra.png

NOTE the 1 Billion Banked GOLD maximum!!

Anyway, here are some screenies:
6KTKz0h.png

mReb8Tv.png

DDmkrIb.png

pZNw9iY.png

FUOOpco.png

8YgYdlz.png

mzSylRe.png

h85FnCK.png

Then I saw this dude and let me say... HACKITY HACK EXTREME!!!
VaRkJUM.png

HdNgTIh.png

749LU14.png

theYndr.png

What is with the hackers and not playing the game. Looks like another scrubbing to do to get a clean disk. This is the worse (or best) character I've found yet. There are still tricks I can learn to do on the WinUAE but I think I want to get the FS-UAE working. I haven't gone back to Hatari either. I probably don't need multiple emulators. I really can't wait to look at the Japanese Starcraft versions.

QUICK NOTES I had set up on WIN-UAE
END+PRINTSCREEN = Screenshot
PAUSE = Pause (works with screenshot)

If you set up disk swap remember there are like 20 disks you could possibly swap but I've never had to use more than seven.
END+# (1-9 or up to 20 not sure how that works passed the 0)

Then you can set up for some saves and loads (it seems it only has option for 1 quick load/save so be wary of that) I use the following keys:
2lTgChS.png

The Numpad - to Restore
The Numpad + to Save

There is probably a quick way to start recording audio/video but I haven't done that yet. I play on getting to know FS-UAE.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What is with the hackers and not playing the game. Looks like another scrubbing to do to get a clean disk.

I have the original uncracked disk images for P1 and P3 on the Amiga, I can upload them for you later from home if you don't want to download the full 4-5 gig Amiga CAPS torrent.

They are not in ADF format though, but in IPF. That's a special format that contains all physical-level data of the original disks, with copy-protection intact.

You'll need to download a plugin for WinUAE to be able to use these IPF images from the Software Preservation Society website. Download v5.1 of the IPF support library for Win32 or Win64 (they link to the same ZIP file, btw). Then copy CAPSImg.dll from the archive to your *root* WinUAE folder (*not* the plugin folder). Make sure to copy the correct version; if you're using 64-bit WinUAE, you'll need to copy the DLL file from the x64 subfolder in the archive.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Sure, I can try it.

It is funny, I don't recall a reset on the Amiga Phantasie disk. I did read in the manual where it states Phantasie III is all mapped out on the continent. I didn't screenshot that as it should be easy to find.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Here you go KeighnMcDeath and whoever else wants to give it a try. Uncracked original Amiga IPF disk images:

https://anonymshare.com/bVZj/phantasie-1987ssi1185.zip

https://anonymshare.com/oeQl/phanta...demus-v10-1987ssicompilation-bonus-ed1186.zip
https://anonymshare.com/oeQl/phanta...demus-v10-1987ssicompilation-bonus-ed1186.zip
Pro tip: in WinUAE you can mount ZIP files, in which case WinUAE creates a copy of the disk in your documents folder when it gets written to (but you need to untick write protection manually after mounting). That way your original images will be always left intact.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Very cool, Rincewind, thank you for sharing them.

Speaking of Amiga, if anybody is interested, there is available a prepared package of WHDLoad Amiga games setup in order to be easily integrated into LaunchBox, containing all of the artwork and the configurations necessary to run each game in WinUAE by simply running it from within LaunchBox. The archive download is about 7.5GB and unpacks to roughly the same, and contains just under 3,000 games, including the usual suspects (so the first and third Phantasie games, Bard's Tale series, Fate: Gates of Dawn, &c).

You're supposed to send an email to an address within a thread in the LaunchBox forums that automates the process of providing the link to the download, but I can PM it to anybody here that might be interested. My LaunchBox Amiga library is a curated setup of both WHDLoads (which were integrated by the openretro database IDs in order to launch with the specific FS-UAE configurations, not actual game ROMs) and ADFs that took me many hours to organize and figure out how to get it to launch with a single click with the necessary preload configurations and is reliant primarily on FS-UAE, but I do love Amiga games beyond just the adventure, simulation and RPG games so I wanted to grab this package while it is still available. All you need to do is download, unpack it, and have it overwrite the folders in wherever your LaunchBox is installed, then run it and you will have bypassed the necessity of awaiting the process involved in downloading the metadata and configuring the emulator.

EDIT - By the way, as already mentioned above, since WinUAE can run from zip files, you only need to unpack the archive download itself, you can leave the zipped game files each within its own folder exactly as they are - there is an option in LaunchBox when managing emulators to unpack archived files when launching a game, which you may want to not have selected since WinUAE already does this (although with LaunchBox the unpacked game files go into a TEMP folder that is afterwards deleted, so it shouldn't matter, really).

RE-EDIT - Can confirm it works, at least the handful of games I launched to test it here on my work computer using a fresh instance of LaunchBox. Even Fate: Gates of Dawn worked as-is, which is awesome and in the "additional applications" folder I saw the English and the Uncensored versions as well, so evidently the archive may be as comprehensive as my own curated one that was only almost 400 games, compared to the over 2900 this collection has, and that is impressive. Just a tip in case anybody decides to use it, the image folder isn't copied as-is to overwrite the images folder where LaunchBox is installed; you need to select all of the image folders collectively and put them in "Launchbox/Images/Commodore Amiga/" in order to get LaunchBox to display them. This single instance of momentary confusion aside, this package is insane and I when I get home I'm going to archive my curated install and then remove it from LaunchBox and replace it with this one, and any games that are potentially discovered to not be configured the way my own little library is I will swap back out. I kind of feel bad that I spent so much time meticulously building a library that is hardly 15% the volume of this one, and it is literally a matter of 5 minutes to establish with the only long part being the download itself.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Time to get a box computer loaded with several series of 12T SSHD. Well, I'll probably pick up a few regular portable 5T HD. I need to split up some rubbish.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Time to get a box computer loaded with several series of 12T SSHD. Well, I'll probably pick up a few regular portable 5T HD. I need to split up some rubbish.
Yea, I'm not working with much myself, my laptop has only 500G and I have two external 1TB SSDs.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Not much to say except I love this thread :love:

...and that I wish I had the time and energy to continue my save.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Not much to say except I love this thread :love:
Me too. I finally have my LaunchBox libraries where I think I am finally finished, only have some games to correct the titles for grabbing the metadata, but at this point I'm done sourcing and integrating collections. It is over 23,000 games and has multiple consoles and computers, including Amiga, Commodore 64, Atari ST, Apple II and Apple IIGS, ZX Spectrum, MSX, MSX2, SuperGrafx, TurboGrafx-16 and CD, multiple Sega and Nintendo consoles, Atari Jaguar, a handful of 3DO games (for the two D&D games DeathKeep and Slayer, and of course Star Control II), and the entire eXoDOS collection, so I am more than set.

Now I am going to only focus on playing games and put aside the obsessive curating and organizing as there are numerous games I'm just dying to get into. Originally I wanted to play the Keys to Maramon, Bloodstone and Magic Candle games, but this thread has inspired me to make a fresh start on Phantasie, so that is what I plan to do starting tomorrow after work. I'm not decided yet if I'm going to stick with the Atari ST version I'd already begun, or switch to the Apple II or Commodore versions. I'll likely go back over this thread and reread the suggestions because I've forgotten already, but I do remember that the second game has no Amiga version, which is disappointing.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Still a pity no keyboard support for Amiga. Just arrow keys would have been a fine addition.

AMENDED! ARROW KEYS DO FUNCTION!

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
If it's like the ST version you can use arrows keys to move. But that's all, I think. Quite annoying when you mouse finger slips and you Beg instead of Greet and lose all your gold...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'm not getting any input via keyboard for movement. Send me your version. Mine sucks. Er I forgot I have that one Rincewind. I got distracted with other stuff.

I'm trying to figure out something but it is mouse heavy. Too menus are a right-click hold and drag to selection. Lots of left click. Movement is put cursor in front of party icon and left click to move 1 space. If movement was any keyboard press it would be a much better experience. Then again, I have played Day of the Viper and did OK and it was pretty mouse clicky. If there was a decent hack they'd put in some keyboard (instead of hacking a dude to 255 in all stats/skills).

mondblut

Arcane
I can't imagine how retarded developers were in the 80s in some aspects. Like, "yay, this system has the awesome MOUSE, let's disable keyboard controls altogether". Cretins.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Son if a bitch! Now it works with arrow keys. Bah! I looks like an ass. Well huzzah! Keyboard for movement is what I wanted and now it works. What did i do to screw up my keyboard earlier?

I was following a ton of tutorials and one had me messing with keyboard controls. I must've remapped the arrow keys or disabled them. And that stupid manual saying MOUSE ONLY. Thanks Octavius, I wouldn't have booted up trying my first saved config without the nudge.

YES ARROW KEYS FOR AMIGA MOVEMENT

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Jesus Christus, P2 is an annoying game! I can't approach the final minion of Pluto - the Ice Dragon - because my party is too frightened. I have activated all the other eight amulets, but two of my characters are still missing the first Beast Rune. Turns out they can only get the rune if they were in the party when we killed that minion.
Grrr...this is fucking annoying. And the game is full of these annoyances, like the traps and having to go back and forth in lava.

BTW, this gives me a nasty feeling of deja vu.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
Jesus Christus, P2 is an annoying game! I can't approach the final minion of Pluto - the Ice Dragon - because my party is too frightened. I have activated all the other eight amulets, but two of my characters are still missing the first Beast Rune. Turns out they can only get the rune if they were in the party when we killed that minion.

I got the respective runes only after "using" amulets in town, not after killing the minions. Try using them again.

My party was frightened also, despite everyone having all runes. So I reloaded and visited the mystic who said I was now ready to face the dragon or something. Then it worked. Thankfully, because I half expected I'll need to go all the way back to the oracle in dungeon 1 and run through all the "tasks" it has, as I was only getting the first one, about bringing the book to Filimon (which was never acknowledged, even though I did have the respective scroll when I met him).

octavius

Arcane
Patron

I got the respective runes only after "using" amulets in town, not after killing the minions. Try using them again.

My party was frightened also, despite everyone having all runes. So I reloaded and visited the mystic who said I was now ready to face the dragon or something. Then it worked. Thankfully, because I half expected I'll need to go all the way back to the oracle in dungeon 1 and run through all the "tasks" it has, as I was only getting the first one, about bringing the book to Filimon (which was never acknowledged, even though I did have the respective scroll when I met him).

The game is very finicky.
But turns out I was wrong. Either my party had to Wear the amulets or they needed to visit the mystic first, 'cause after doing both now it worked even with two of my guys not having a full set of runes.
You didn't mention Wearing the amulets, so I assume visiting the Mystic saying "You are now ready to destroy the orb" is mandatory.

Annoying game.

mondblut

Arcane
But turns out I was wrong. Either my party had to Wear the amulets or they needed to visit the mystic first, 'cause after doing both now it worked even with two of my guys not having a full set of runes.
You didn't mention Wearing the amulets, so I assume visiting the Mystic saying "You are now ready to destroy the orb" is mandatory.

Well, I know nothing of "wearing" (Atari ST), what I did was using "use item" in town menu for each amulet. That gave everybody the respective rune tag. But yeah, that didn't help until I spoke to the mystic.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey quick question about Phantasie for Apple II. I found the AR Rune which I know is the Air Rune or what have u, but 2 of my party members who had the rune died an had to be replaced. Is this going to be a long term problem? The remaining 4 show as having the rune in their inventory or what have u. No spoilers please, just would like to know if that's going to be a problem. Thanks! :)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Transfered my party to P3 (ST version) and took it for a test drive, and it looks like the overworld is always already explored in P3, even when starting a brand new game.
Or does anyone have different experiences?
There's no utilty to reset the game, but when entering a dungeon you are asked if you want to load a saved one.

The only advantage to transfering seems to be that a character gets 100 XP per level he was at the end of P2 (or P1). So for the Amiga version it should make no practical difference if you transfer from P1.
All skills are reset, though, but the skill system is a bit different, since you can now control the skill gains when leveling.

Anyway, I'll take a break with some other games before starting P3 properly.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Transfered my party to P3 (ST version) and took it for a test drive, and it looks like the overworld is always already explored in P3, even when starting a brand new game.
Or does anyone have different experiences?
The Apple II version (even the fan patched version) is the same. The manual implies that the entire wilderness should be already explored by default, as the characters are assumed to have maps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom