Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Phantom Doctrine - "tactical Cold War conspiracy thriller" by Hard West devs

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
4 hours in, I like everything I see. I particularly enjoy gathering documents during tac missions so I can unlock corkboard data back at the base. Lots of guns and equipment, lots of weird different missions (tactical and otherwise) to manage and assign your team to. Flying spies all over the continent to gather info. Some of my recruits might be double agents. Changing my passport photo and growing a beard for my new identity. Solid XCOM type battles I don't really have the hang of yet. There's a lot to like here, no complaints yet. Still on sale for one more day.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Game is really good, but as you go on, the missions become tedious, and there is not enough variety.

Missions all end up the same:
1) Take anything thats not nailed down
2) Silencer nuke / karate chop enemy agent
3) proceed to complete mission objectives while karatechopping every enemy on the way
4) exfil
5) profit!

Really liked the short CYOAs although, chemical minigame was cool too, corkboard is great, altho it took me a long time to figure out i can do it alone, so DONT WASTE AGENTS in the investigation slots, its useless and its tbh much better and more immersive if you do it yourself.

All in all, game is incline, but gets tedious half way through.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The corkboard could have been so much better if it had any substance behind it. They could have told a whole different story with it. But as it stands, it's just randomized names and places , and there's absolutely no point in tracing entries throughout different projects. Just connect the matches and you're done.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
The corkboard could have been so much better if it had any substance behind it. They could have told a whole different story with it. But as it stands, it's just randomized names and places , and there's absolutely no point in tracing entries throughout different projects. Just connect the matches and you're done.

Afaik its not randomised, the codenames do represent places and people. For example, codename Walter Poon, that appears in several corkboard projects is an undercover name of Leslie, your buddy in the CIA campaign.

But i agree, could have been done better. Could have made in game connections between projects

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm 8 hours in now. I like the tactical combat part of it. I find it far better than the nu X-Coms. I especially like the split between the infiltration and combat phases of it. It's way better than the X-Com bullshit where you win or lose depending on when you happen to step on a tile that activates an alien pod. It does get tedious sometimes to spend a few minutes getting your guys out after you won a mission, but no game is perfect.

The investigation part of it is a huge missed opportunity. Covert Action did this very well 29 fucking years ago on one goddamn floppy disk. You had to put the clues together to guess what the conspiracy was up to and that drove what tactical missions you went on and what you did on them. In this game, you just have pointless busywork looking through what tards imagine classified documents look like. Somehow Sid Meier making a game he didn't give a shit about back then is better than anything we can come up with today.

My biggest complaint is that the story is pants-on-head retarded. The setting is apparently something inspired by Jason Bourne novels, Vin Diesel movies, and old KGB disinformation campaigns like "Gladio". They actually mention "NSA field agents". Like Jesus Christ, the fucking post office has guys out there in the field with guns but the NSA doesn't. Every time something happens in the story I'm insulted that the developers thought I was tarded enough to be on that level.

Summary: Great execution on the tactical side, worth playing if you're into this genre, but it doesn't deliver in general. I'd say Vigilantes is a better experience overall despite having probably an order of magnitude less time and money put into it.

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah, lack of mission and map variety is what ended up killing my playthrough of this at 40 hours. Biggest gripe I have with the game.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Is this worth $10 on GOG for someone who likes spy stories a lot and likes turn-based combat in RPGs but doesn't usually play strategy games?

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, the strategy side of it isn't that important. And for $10 it's an okay game. There's enough that's new and interesting in it that it'll probably keep you occupied for a while.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Can I be a hot chick who bangs dudes for intel?

I think that's from era before Intel was a big company, thus they didn't have money to hire spies to kill opposition.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom