Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Do you actually have to extract after killing the Scylla? Or is it like Nest missions where the mission just ends when you kill the objectives?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Do you actually have to extract after killing the Scylla? Or is it like Nest missions where the mission just ends when you kill the objectives?
it is like Lair
I haven't completed a lair mission. It upgraded before I could get around to doing it.
Can you still do the infiltrator lair cheese, or did they nerf it?

ArchAngel

Arcane
what tech lvl are you? if you have unlocked the new jericho technician and his turrets you can use them to take the skylla down, the lazer ones can do a lot of dmg. to combat the mindfraggers or/and the mist it craps out i spam spiders from the synedrion tech, you can also use them to cripple body parts of the scylla (best are the legs, she wont be able to jump).
My standing with NJ is crap right now because barely any NJ havens spawned near me. I am on good terms with Synedrion and Anu though, and I did unlock infiltrators. I just haven't unlocked them yet.
Funnily enough, I did find one technician. I take it that the path to success in this game is to multiclass?

Use war cry from the heavy to lock her down. If you have a max level heavy the last burst ability can deal immense damage.

Technician does a ton of damage, but specifically against Scyllas in haven defense missions, I found them hard to use because of how much Scyllas move while destroying terrain, with the turrets being low they easily move out of range/sight.
Very good for citadel pew pew though.
War Cry is bugged, it does not clear on next turn and if you apply it again it stacks with previous use, making Scylla or anyone not do any actions. We removed it completely from the mod as it is beyond the power of modders to fix that bug.

ArchAngel

Arcane
it is like Lair
I haven't completed a lair mission. It upgraded before I could get around to doing it.
Can you still do the infiltrator lair cheese, or did they nerf it?
Lairs building has a lot of life. You can bring Infiltrator there but you need shotgun to kill it in reasonable time. But that also makes everyone start coming for you.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Is it me, or is the Helcannon rubbish? I tried fighting the Scylla with it and it didn't seem to do that much, even with rage burst. Is the deceptor that much better?
Also I noticed that sometimes Warcry doesn't work. I used it against the Scylla and a Hellion and she still moved, used frenzy and spawned a mindfragger. Then the Hellion mind controlled one of my soldiers.

Is there a way to just flat out stop mindcontrol? It's really annoying to deal with.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Is it me, or is the Helcannon rubbish? I tried fighting the Scylla with it and it didn't seem to do that much, even with rage burst. Is the deceptor that much better?
deceptor does most damage. Helcanon breaks through armor and dazes. And you can shoot through walls and barriers with helcannon, Deceptor cannot do that.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Oh wow you weren't kidding. I dealt more than 1k damage with a rage burst and I wasn't even at point blank range.
It took just two. I had to make a lot of restarts, but I did it in the end. The scarab missiles were useful at breaking her armour.

Ok, who's the idiot who thought Umbra enemies are a good idea? They spawn with full health and AP, and there's three of the fuckers permission now.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wrote a review for the game. You can read it here on my blog, or down below, if interested. It's based on the full game, with all the DLCs except one - Kaos Engines. Can't say I come to any new revelations that hasn't been talked over here before, but I thought someone might find it amusing to read.

When Julian Gollop announced he would be making a spiritual sequel to X-com, there was much rejoice. Unfortunately, the game that followed was lined with controversies like – changing the art-style from gritty post-apocalypse to nuXcom inspired science-fiction with oversized shoulder pauldrons. Dumping the open platform release for EPIC store exclusivity, while simultaneously insulting the Kickstarter-base that their investment meant nothing now with EPIC backing them financially. Yeah, it was not a great start, that even had me cancel my pledge…

Years later though, when feelings had cooled off, they released Phoenix Point: Year One Edition on Steam, and GOG. It was here, I once again opened my eyes to the game which ended up with me buying it, plus the expansion pass. Compared to what we have now, this was the best version of the game, according to me at least. The “aliens” still had mystery to them, and this would be changed in later versions. I personally think this change goes against the X-com genre as a whole. With this I mean, the first release of the Year One Edition had the aliens dynamically change their appearance, armor, and weapons depending on how effective you were in your game. This wasn’t told to you anywhere, and you had to discover these things for yourself on the tactical missions – which works exactly in line with the original X-com, and the newer ones for that matter. However, for some weird reason they changed this aspect, and now each time the aliens upgrade something you are presented with what in full statistical detail. It takes away a lot from the game.

Other major changes comes from the DLCs that mostly seems to be total misses. They expand the game, but makes it actively harder, and annoying with little pay-off. Let’s go through them all.

Kaos Engines

The only DLC I have not played because it was released fairly recently. But looking at what it does, I’m not sure how much this DLC would affect me since I don’t use the vehicles much except as base defense. I can’t really comment on it.

Corrupted Horizons

This is one of the newer DLCs. It adds another worry to the game in the form of corruption that will affect the willpower of your men. Which effectively mean that your soldiers will eventually become useless since they can’t use their special abilities, and will panic easier. There is also a new class added, the “mutiod”, which works as cannon fodder of some sort. Depending on how you run the company, I guess this could be a good addition. This DLC also adds a new form of alien that use debuffs as an offensive ability, this creature can also call in reinforcements. Which, like most of the DLCs, increase the stress factor with little pay-off. Just the thought of endless reinforcements makes at least me sleepless at night.

Festering Skies

An absolute pain in the ass in the form of DLC. It adds flying creatures, which increases the stress of running Phoenix Point by 300%. I’m not kidding. These biological living ships make the geoscape aspect of the game a true horror, for both good, and bad I guess. For those that like to punish themselves it’s great, but there is a limit to my own masochism. This DLC also adds a new bug like creature to the tactical part that I feel is over-tuned. It can jump incredible far, and when upgraded, their stings do amazing poison damage that can take down even the strongest soldier in a few turns.

Legacy of the Ancients

Horrible DLC from a gameplay-standpoint. Lore-wise it is interesting, but beyond that aspect this DLC will make you suffer. While the lore as mentioned is fine, the enemies do feel out of place thematically. They are also horrible to face in battle, as being machines they do not suffer wounds like organics. Most of their units also have some kind of plasma shield, which will negate most of your damage. They also do hilariously high damage, easily killing, or crippling your men, making them useless for the remainder of engagement.
Everything blue, and slimy must die!

Blood and Titanium

Adds a new faction to the game in the form of cybernetic warriors. This is probably the DLC that actually don’t feel like they added pure pain. While they are tough to fight, they are not impossible to kill. Being augmented, and mostly robot-like they can take a lot of damage, yet, they do suffer from crippling damage attacks. This DLC also add cyberware for your own soldiers, if you now feel inclined to augment them.

Living Weapons Pack

Small DLC that adds a couple missions for you to collect weird looking insect-like weapons. Minor, inoffensive DLC, except that the weapons, and armors look pretty disgusting, but that is purely a personal opinion – the design is fine.

So, while the DLCs do add to the game, most of the added content are made to make the life of the gamer harder with very little in form of rewards. There is no real balance made either to the general pace of the campaign, most of the DLCs increase the speed of the demise of humanity without any way to alleviate it, except finishing the quest-line in question. As you can see, this just add stuff to do on top of an already stressful game, since from the start you are already working against time.
Yes, yes, please line up like this

Going back to the game, and a huge positive thing about it – is the story, and setting. Unlike X-com, it’s not exactly a classic tale of aliens attacking humanity this time, besides the initial threat coming from outer space. A thing landed in the sea, and from here on – in true lovecraftian manner something spread among the humans, slowly driving them mad, and eventually mutating them into sea creatures of horror. Those that were not affected by the virus formed their own factions; Disciples of Anu, New Jericho, and Synedrion – all with their own ideas how to survive, and defeat this menace, in addition to how to continue mankind after this cataclysmic event, if at all winnable of course. You, being the fourth faction – known as Phoenix Point, can either ally with these factions, or take them out. It’s all up to you. Discovering new aliens, and secrets, especially things to do with Phoenix Point will push the story forward, and it’s all very interesting. It has the flavor of a secret Templar order, working from the shadows for the betterment of humanity – secretly studying this event, and virus for decades. And while this is well done, the actual narrative of defeating the creatures, depending on faction alliance, is not that engaging. It’s more to the point – either we die, or we do this thing that don’t have much mystery to it – to not spoil anything.

How about the gameplay? It’s a strange mixed between nuXcom, and the classic X-com, based on true line of sight, and time-units. So while the game have time-units for movement, and shooting – movement, and cover still works a bit according to the more abstract way of nuXcom, as in your men can’t crouch down without having a wall next to them. And even so, a wall will usually not protect you, except a full corner one since that actually blocks line of sight. Lower walls still expose your men – I guess they have not learned to take cover effectively. The game uses true real line of sight, and simulated projectiles, but thanks to this hybrid system it never feels like you are in full control like for an example the original X-com, or Silent Storm, and more often than not it’s a crapshoot taking cover behind something that does not block the view 100%. Regardless, the combat is enjoyable, at least in the beginning until you hit different “walls” in the form of extreme health-point bloat. If you ever fall behind damage wise, the game, especially in combination with the DLC monsters, will make your time a real misery.
This is fine

Unsurprisingly enough, the same goes for the geoscape aspect. If you ever fall behind in money, ships or bases, you are in for a very bad time. While I do appreciate difficult games, Phoenix Point might actually be a little too hard for its own good, since it often reach a point of frustration in more ways than one. On the geoscape, you hire men, build bases, and discover “event-points” on the map, that all give different kind of missions beyond the story-quests. Frequently they come down to resource gathering, or agent rescue, and it’s up to you to pick what to do, what is worth it, and what is not. On this aspect of the game, you also do all your diplomatic needs – talking, trading, or attacking factions. Becoming an ally with a faction will give you access to their research, but, you can also decide to steal their research, if you rather take a violent way to diplomacy. And it might actually be necessary in some cases, since the factions themselves don’t like each other, so when you become buddy-buddy with one, another faction might not appreciate that fact.

Graphically, the game looks okay, the armor, even if a bit much on the American football spectrum is fine – the same goes for weapons, and crafts. But for some reason the game is really heavy on the performance, and even my new beast of a computer struggle with base-defense missions. And mind you, this is a turn-based game, so there is no real excuse for it to run this badly. The sound design is passable, with a few good songs, and a few that after a while becomes grating to the ears. It’s a bit of a mix here. Some weapons sound good, some will make you ponder: why?
Now I can finally watch discovery channel

Do I recommend the game? This is a tough one. The initial Steam release I found was pretty good, even if thin when it came to end-game stuff. I almost finished the game when I played it back then, sadly I got stuck on the final mission. Now when trying to replay – I’m getting chewed up, and spit out without coming very far. I have tried playing it a couple of times, but the game just seems to be way too much work for too little enjoyment. Phoenix Point also seem to lack a clear vision, and stuff are added haphazardly without any real clear thought what it will do to the main campaign, to the balance or pacing. I would say, if you are desperately itching for an X-com-like game, go for it on a sale, otherwise, it might actually be a sane thing to pass this one up, since the frustration will get to you eventually.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, they really need to tweak the late game's balance.
The beginning is great, but when it gets to a point where you need 3 soldiers to neutralize one enemy and you only have 8 (fucking WHY! Did Gollop forget that you had huge squad sizes in the original?) it gets tedious real fast.

Also, fuck Umbras, and fuck the idiot who made them. Such shit game design.

razvedchiki

Erudite
mid-late game your grunts will have access to their class best abilities so the playfield is even. pandas have their armor/hp bloat but their AI doesnt coordinate as the player can.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The fundamental mechanics of Phoenix Point are much, much better than new-XCOM's (and I say that as a new-XCOM-enjoyer), and its strategic systems - especially those from the DLCs - are worse (which should tell you something).
I think this is a bit harsh, but the strategic systems are bad. They're kinda close to being good, if only they had spent their time fixing shit instead of implementing more half assed stuff it could have been great. Only thing that really comes to mind where firaxcom is better is smoother equipment upgrade curve and base building.

Maybe they'll make an actual enhanced edition at some point where they polish everything up and properly balance it, but I doubt it.
Seriously though, how do I get more resources without raiding? Do I really just have to farm haven assaults? When do I get positive income?
Iirc you get most of your resources from taking out alien bases? or is it base defense missions?
And also the resource collection missions you find randomly on the geoscape.

Resources are pretty tight though, you really want to steal airships and not build them.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The beginning is great, but when it gets to a point where you need 3 soldiers to neutralize one enemy and you only have 8 (fucking WHY! Did Gollop forget that you had huge squad sizes in the original?) it gets tedious real fast.

You don't need 3 except for select enemies. There are a lot of good weapons that let you own them easily in late game: Thor, Destiny, Virophage weapons, NJ armor pierce sniper, Harrower shotgun, Mind Control from priests, DLC2 weapons...

Umbra is weaker version of Crysallids from UFO. They were made because game lacked such enemy.

Parabalus

Arcane

Late game is too easy as it is, you need to use more broken ability combos.

Try an assault/heavy with the melee augment torso, along with priest frenzy.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Umbra is weaker version of Crysallids from UFO. They were made because game lacked such enemy.
Except Chrysallids were no-where near as obnoxious. They were scary tough, but if you killed them before they made zombies you didn't have to worry about extra enemies.
You could try paralyzing them, but if you inflict bleed or there's an AI soldier then you're screwed as it will die and make an Umbra. Crippling limbs to remove the enemy as a threat also inflicts a lot of bleed, so that's not reliable either.

Parabalus

Arcane
Except Chrysallids were no-where near as obnoxious. They were scary tough, but if you killed them before they made zombies you didn't have to worry about extra enemies.
You could try paralyzing them, but if you inflict bleed or there's an AI soldier then you're screwed as it will die and make an Umbra. Crippling limbs to remove the enemy as a threat also inflicts a lot of bleed, so that's not reliable either.

If you kill an Artheron by burning them they won't spawn an Umbra.

Or you can paralyze them.

Parabalus

Arcane
First part of Phoenix Rising mod, called Better Classes has now reached its 1.0 version. You can download it here: https://github.com/MadSkunky/PhoenixRising/releases/tag/v1.0.0.0
For it to work you need Modnix v3, you can get that here: https://github.com/Sheep-y/Modnix/releases/tag/v3.0.2021.0204

For a list of changes between vanilla and Better Classes you can read here: https://docs.google.com/presentatio...CRQW3GpZA5Up8/edit#slide=id.g104cb6fd693_0_15

I recommend this mod, it makes the game more interesting. At least the tactical parts.

Other improvements are also coming (AI, Geoscape, enemies, base game mechanics and others) but they are not close to 1.0 version.

EDIT:
It is also recommended that this mod is used along with Better Classes: https://www.nexusmods.com/phoenixpoint/mods/40?tab=files
It works well with new Heavy letting him do Return Fire when alllies in range are attacked (most aliens don't attack heavy as he has lots of armor and they give priority to targets that have less armor). Just in Modnix config tab for this mod set "reactionAngle": 360.0.

Can you mirror or integrate the Better classes mod so one doesn't need to pay Nexus tribute?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Where do you get fire weapons? Don't you have to ally with New Jericho?
The fact you can't make your own phoenix incendiary weapons is pretty stupid. You mean that no one knows how to make a molotov?

Parabalus

Arcane

Where do you get fire weapons? Don't you have to ally with New Jericho?
The fact you can't make your own phoenix incendiary weapons is pretty stupid. You mean that no one knows how to make a molotov?

You can also kill them and reverse engineer the weapon, or just use looted ones. Can also be looted from crates.

New Jericho does make molotovs too.

Parabalus

Arcane
Yeah, but its very rare. Then again, I did get a redeemer and acid nades from crates, so its not all bad.
How good is acid really? Apparently it only strips 10 armor per turn?

Rage burst from the acid heavy weapon one shots a scylla, over a few turns.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, but its very rare. Then again, I did get a redeemer and acid nades from crates, so its not all bad.
How good is acid really? Apparently it only strips 10 armor per turn?

Rage burst from the acid heavy weapon one shots a scylla, over a few turns.
Well, if its over a few turns its not really a one shot :P
Hmm, so if I throw a bunch of acid grenades at her and rage burst her with a deceptor, it can really fuck her up? Right now there's a citadel and a lair causing problems for me. Like every little bit one of my bases get attacked and its getting real old real fast. Not to mention the massive hit to diplomacy.

ArchAngel

Arcane
First part of Phoenix Rising mod, called Better Classes has now reached its 1.0 version. You can download it here: https://github.com/MadSkunky/PhoenixRising/releases/tag/v1.0.0.0
For it to work you need Modnix v3, you can get that here: https://github.com/Sheep-y/Modnix/releases/tag/v3.0.2021.0204

For a list of changes between vanilla and Better Classes you can read here: https://docs.google.com/presentatio...CRQW3GpZA5Up8/edit#slide=id.g104cb6fd693_0_15

I recommend this mod, it makes the game more interesting. At least the tactical parts.

Other improvements are also coming (AI, Geoscape, enemies, base game mechanics and others) but they are not close to 1.0 version.

EDIT:
It is also recommended that this mod is used along with Better Classes: https://www.nexusmods.com/phoenixpoint/mods/40?tab=files
It works well with new Heavy letting him do Return Fire when alllies in range are attacked (most aliens don't attack heavy as he has lots of armor and they give priority to targets that have less armor). Just in Modnix config tab for this mod set "reactionAngle": 360.0.

Can you mirror or integrate the Better classes mod so one doesn't need to pay Nexus tribute?
?? Nexus is free..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom